• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
It's worth watching if you're a G1 fan. Most of its appeal is easter eggs and G1 references. The actual show itself overall is mediocre at best. Its main merit is that it gave us Bulkhead. While it's certainly good for a TF show, that's not really saying much. It's absurdly overrated by the fandom, which you can see happening just in the responses to your question already. Temper expectations and you should find it pleasant enough as long as you don't go in thinking it'll be Beast Wars at its peak or anything.

Also don't think you need to see the show to buy the TFA toys or anything. They're really solid pieces of design for the most part.
I have to disagree on practically every point here. You could remove the easter eggs entirely and you're still left with a genuinely interesting show that was the freshest take on the mythos non-beast TFs ever got.

And overrated by the fandom? What? It was railed on start to finish for its goofy look. It easily exceeds BW, because BW at its peak doesn't offset it's troughs. If anything BW is the more overrated of the two, trading mostly on childhood nostalgia and being light years ahead of G1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to disagree on practically every point here. You could remove the easter eggs entirely and you're still left with a genuinely interesting show that was the freshest take on the mythos non-beast TFs ever got.

And overrated by the fandom? What? It was railed on start to finish for its goofy look. It easily exceeds BW, because BW at its peak doesn't offset it's troughs. If anything BW is the more overrated of the two, trading mostly on childhood nostalgia and being light years ahead of G1.

how dare

Beast Wars is awesome, even if the third season is genuinely lacking.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
BW had really high high points and great characters, but it also had terrible slapstick sight gags and garbage "Rhinox farting" tier episodes.

Animated had a better agregate score as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all!

Love Transformers Prime, especially Season 3.

The Last Knight was one of the worst things I have seen period. I'd watch Alien Resurrection before watching it again.

Anyone play war/fall of cybertron? We should do a game night.

Transformers Prime is the most comprehensive Transformers show ever. I would love another show like it but I could live without it because TFP is a Masterpiece.

I've played and Beat both War and Fall of Cybertron. I was lukewarm on War but Fall was amazing. Loved every minute of it. They finally got the TF right and properly used their robot and vehicle modes, the gunplay was fun, the story was phenomenal, and I enjoyed the voice acting (especially from Grimlock - the way they explain the Dinobots was clever) . I wish they had gotten Frank Welker for Megatron though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transformers Prime is okay. It's basically just Ultimate G1.

I loved Arcee and Knock Out, though. And Starscream was a hoot.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

I have no idea what show you watched, then. TFA is completely bland throughout unless the in-jokes and broad comedy really do it for you, which they do not for me. The Autobots are likeable, but the show gets bogged down in references over writing way too much, every character outside a couple members of the main cast is extremely one note, and they lean way too hard on the awful human supervillain characters. I have no issue with the look of it, I think the content is bland and fairly juvenile, even by TF standards. I get why people found it refreshing after years of the Unicron Trilogy garbage, but it's not a particularly good show, IMO.

And while you're right that early on it was lambasted for the art style, by the end of the show's run it was the fandom's darling due to how much G1 love was constantly peppered in. Beast Wars may have been uneven, but its highs are vastly higher than TFA ever even partially achieved, and I would say the same for TFP in comparison to TFA, as well, although TFP has its own problems. There's very little childhood nostalgia required to enjoy the best story arcs of Beast Wars. Beast Wars is just straight up solid science fiction storytelling that uses the window dressing of the G1 connection as a launching point for getting into much more character-driven stuff as Season 2 progresses, something that is self-evident in large part due to the fact that the writers of Beast Wars had basically never heard of any of G1 before they started interacting with the fandom and started incorporating it into their writing. TFA's entire existence seems to be driven by referencing G1 with a "comedy" twist on most things, like making the Constructicons sexist drunk site workers and such.

While I certainly appreciate TFA bringing us Bulkhead, that's about all I can give it overall, and even that's a partial since TFP's iteration of Bulkhead was a much more interesting take on the character concept. Plus TFP had Knock Out. I'm not going to begrudge anyone their love of TFA, but I find it to be about as substantial as cotton candy. Which is not to say cotton candy doesn't have its place, but Beast Wars and TFP are actual meals in comparison. That said, I do find myself hoping that the inevitable Titan Class Omega Supreme uses a modified version of the TFA Omega Supreme design, as a giant Ark ship with a nifty Titan Master scaled bridge would be way cooler than another fudging of the rocket tank idea.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Aw yiss, subscribed. I didn't see the community when I went searching for it, so glad Tizoc pointed me in the right direction.

I picked up the Titans Return Windblade the other day; she's a pretty damn good figure- significant improvement over the original Generations mold in nearly every regard, not that it's a high bar to cross.

Still waiting with baited breath for that Movie Anniversary line from all the leaks. As one of the few movie apologists from the old thread, I need a Leader class Blackout and a new mold voyager Brawl and ROTF Megs in my life.

Oct 26, 2017
I got the latest IDW Collection, which brings me up to Dark Cybertron and Windblade 1. Still years behind current events.

DC was kind of neat but suffered from being too ridiculous (Shockwave is ending THE UNIVERSE!!!) and having too many character groups in it. Also, Hasbro intervening with the Thrilling 30 cast hasn't been this bad since the original comic. Suddenly Scoop is a thing. Oh, and redesigned Bumblebee and Starscream. Oh, Nightbeat lives. Rattrap turns up for no good reason even though they were planning for future beastformers. Hey, we made Jhiaxus a Starscream repaint! Oh, and here's Crosscut.

Windblade was pretty good. Even though she's literally a geisha waifu-bot, I liked the art and her character. A cool and determined character without being a Mary Sue like Drift.

Does Livio Ramondelli ever stop stinking up the IDW books?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Starscream x Knockout bromance totally made TF Prime.

"We accidentally created a zombie Insecticon plague! Quick, hide it from our boss!"

Lol, if you play Halo, the new Halo Wars 2 DLC is a campaign that is basically that. 2 knucklehead lackeys who release a bunch of zombies and are trying to hide it before their bad ass boss finds out.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Livio Ramondelli Is an artist whose work is very hard to like :s

I've always liked his art; it was weird to me to see so much hate for it when I started to talking to other people about the series. I mean, sure, I'd prefer Roche, Milne or Sakamoto, but I've always dug Ramondelli's aesthetic too.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
TF Animated is a show I wanna rewatch someday, but I like its take on the Transformers cast. Needed more Decepticons in the first season though, but it did give the Autobot crew time to shine.
I think this is the first we start seeing Ratchet as crotchity old bot who is too old for this slag, right?

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
My problem with the BW MPs (and osme others) is that they're a little too accurate to the rendition they're based on. Wish they continued in MP 03 Starscream's path.

TF Animated is a show I wanna rewatch someday, but I like its take on the Transformers cast. Needed more Decepticons in the first season though, but it did give the Autobot crew time to shine.
I think this is the first we start seeing Ratchet as crotchity old bot who is too old for this slag, right?

Yeah, that's where it started.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I bought an Animated Optimus Prime and dang is it good.

I'll have to get the Megatron there at some point too.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I kinda outgrown transformers around the animated era. Last toys I bought were from the Cybertron Era and around there, and I still maintain it was the best time to get out. I mean the show was kinda meh, and Cartoon Network shafted it sooo hard, but the Toyline was the best one after beast wars. Wing Saber and the Optimus Prime fusion was the bomb.
But Animated kinda grew on me over the years as well. I might look into the show for curiosity's sake, because the designs also seem really good to me now for some reason. Robots in Disguise is disappointing as hell though, such a great artstyle mired by oversimplified transformations and poor diecasts.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Well I bought an Animated Optimus Prime and dang is it good.

I'll have to get the Megatron there at some point too.

You should pick up Ultra Magnus if you get the opportunity, he's one of the best of the line.
magnus.jpg

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Not buying any Animated figures is my biggest TF regret; love the show, love the style but I was too up my own ass about scale and everything looking like the same style on my shelf.

It all runs too expensive for my taste now, maybe I'll get lucky with a flea market seller one day.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should pick up Ultra Magnus if you get the opportunity, he's one of the best of the line.
magnus.jpg

Pretty cool figure, but I feel like Optimus might be the only Animated figure I get for a while. They run too expensive online.

Which is a shame, because I love Bulkhead, Bumblebee and Ratchet a lot even after just two episodes.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet saw some serious shit in TFA. You don't need to fangasm over Susan Blu returning as Arcee in order to be moved by what happened there (although it helps).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why am I torturing myself looking at Animated figures on ebay.

No way in hell can I buy those.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, it's a horrible design, badly executed.

PotP definitely feels much more compromised than TR so far. Painted windows, crappy stickers everywhere and bad proportions.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
My main problem with Animated figures is that they were too screen accurate.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
So I got TR Seaspray yesterday and he's honestly kind of butt in vehicle mode?

Like I dunno if it's just a problem with mine but his front won't stay pegged together.

Also yeah POTP looks really disappointing compared to TR, although I may be biased since I love Headmasters. All I really want from POTP so far is like just Slash, Swoop, and that little Metalhawk Pretender.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Damn, so there has actually been activity here! Is it just me or are watched thread alerts broken for some threads, perhaps Offtopic or community? I have enabled the "Replies to a watched thread" under alert preferences, I have watched this thread, yet I got no alerts for it (other threads work fine).

I was dropping by to ask if Mike (the OT creator) could apply on behalf of our little community here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/community-ot-list.3561/

Anyhow, Animated the show is great even if it skimps on animation quite a bit, and the Animated toys are just amazing. I have at least one figure of almost every character including Arcee, excluding Sentinel Prime (bland toy and annoying character), Hot Rod (couldn't get one back then) and recolors.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any place to get my hands on Animated toys except for ebay?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eBay or maybe local comic shops or collectible shows. Transformers conventions. They're long, long out of production.

I kind of figured as much.

Well my comic shop seems to have a guy selling Transformers to them and that's where I got my Optimus, so maybe I'll luck out.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy it but I lost my job so I can't justify spending over $200 CAD on robot toys.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the TFA toys command some serious money these days due to the popularity of the show among the fandom.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I just can't justify buying them right now. Which is a shame since there's a lot of good ones in that lot.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For sure, I just can't justify buying them right now. Which is a shame since there's a lot of good ones in that lot.

No, what I mean is that that auction is going to rise in price before it ends. It's not a "buy it now", it's an open auction; 130$ is the current bid but it's still 17 hours to go so it's most certainly going to shoot up in price, especially towards the end. Whether that's a consolation or the opposite. :/

Hopefully Hasbro will eventually reissue the Animated toys... there's quite a demand for them so it seems kind of a no-brainer.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did the new RID show turn out in the end? I never made it through season 1 because I found it too boring.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did the new RID show turn out in the end? I never made it through season 1 because I found it too boring.

It's kind of aggressively okay. It has some really good points like its strong character writing, but it is so run of the mill, so without stake, that it's impossible to be really invested.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have to force myself to get through it at some point. It's one of the only TF shows I haven't finished, along with Rescue Bots, BWII, and BW Neo (the latter two of which I've never seen at all).

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
You're honestly not missing much. Steeljaw is probably one of the most interesting Decepticon leaders the franchise has ever had, but he wasn't actually in charge until a while into the first season, and then gets sidelined pretty hard.