• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so Cyberverse actually debuts MONDAY. And they just released this trailer today.

Apparently Bumblebee doesn't start out with the radio voices at least. Dunno what's up with Grimlock's voice though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, I'll set the DVR. Doesn't look too bad, maybe the radio voice is just a joke bit (I hope). But Grimlock's voice, and Optimus with a mouth again... eh, my kid will like it.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way, a little lukewarm on it, but my kids will like it. But that said, I wonder if Grimlock's voice is actually some one-off joke.

Also, yeah cool on the Seekers, although it's kind of a weird choice that the initial lineup is going to be Starscream, Thundercracker aaannnnddd... not Skywarp. It's Starscream, Thundercracker, Slipstream (the female Seeker first created for TF Animated), and Acid Storm of all characters, who has a grand total of one very brief, obscure appearance in any cartoon prior to now, and that was in 1984. Also, odd that the leader of the Seekers this time is apparently Slipstream, not Starscream.

I do like that there are 5 female characters in the initial cast... 3 Autobots (Windblade, Arcee and Chromia) and two Decepticons (Slipstream and Shadow Striker, a Deception car who is even more obscure than Acid Storm... she was created for, and appeared in, only appeared in a couple of convention exclusive comics in the early 00's).

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So, I just impulse bought Masterpiece Optimus Primal and Dinobot. I say "impulse," but I've actually been eyeing them for a while. Still, I can't tell if I'm elated, or devastated that I'm now out $350.
I think I'll feel better when I get them both in-hand!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So, I just impulse bought Masterpiece Optimus Primal and Dinobot. I say "impulse," but I've actually been eyeing them for a while. Still, I can't tell if I'm elated, or devastated that I'm now out $350.
I think I'll feel better when I get them both in-hand!

Well, on the flip side when they arrive the money you spent on them will be (hopefully) long forgotten!

Real talk now, I've much more often regretted not purchasing a figure, than purchasing one.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Well, on the flip side when they arrive the money you spent on them will be (hopefully) long forgotten!

Real talk now, I've much more often regretted not purchasing a figure, than purchasing one.

Oh definitely. I'm already giddy just thinking about getting them. I think it was just the initial realization of the amount I'd spent.
But now I'm antsy for them to get here! Dinobot especially is one of my favorite characters of anything, ever. Really hope the figure lives up to the character.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up some Legends figures (Targetmaster Windblade, Hot Rod, and G2 Megatron) while in Taiwan since they were cheaper there than importing to Canada. Really liking Windblade despite the simple transformation. I think the amazing head sculpt is what sells it. G2 Megatron has a beautiful deco with some nice silver bits. Hot Rod is my least favourite out of the ones I got, but I really like the design of his alt-mode. Not sure why Takara went with a transparent chest since it highlights how hollow the toy is.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Transformers has had a large place in the toy aisle for decades now, and lots of cartoons. I'd say the IP gets a ton of exposure to kids and adults. Now I'm not exactly sure what the demographics of TCG players are and how tough a new one is to market, but I think the IP at least is popular enough.

TF has also spent large chunks of that time as the #1 boys' toyline. There are few toy brands of the last 40 years with more recognizability to all ages than Transformers.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I just found out IDW is rebooting its transformer comics. Which is horrible because its the best transformer media ever made. It almost was a counterbalance to the Bay movies in quality. MTMTE and Lost Light..... were perfection. The issue when Megatron and Optimus are reminiscing on their prior battles was sublime.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
TF has also spent large chunks of that time as the #1 boys' toyline. There are few toy brands of the last 40 years with more recognizability to all ages than Transformers.

I'll never forget watching the first bay movie. Crowd was all ages. When Optimus Prime showed up people lost their shit

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just found out IDW is rebooting its transformer comics. Which is horrible because its the best transformer media ever made. It almost was a counterbalance to the Bay movies in quality. MTMTE and Lost Light..... were perfection. The issue when Megatron and Optimus are reminiscing on their prior battles was sublime.

We need a Roberts withdrawal therapy group, it hurts so much. :(

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

I feel lost lights never reached the heights of MTMTE yet, and probably never will. Might be a good time to start fresh, but I don't have high hopes for their new gestalt universe.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I need someone to explain all the nonsense that happened with Soundwave. I feel like its going to be vital to the Unicron storyline, but it went all Grant Morrison halfway through and I got lost

This is the first comic I'm reading for transformers since 90s GI Joe / Transformers cross over and that was confusing as hell to me. Coupled with Shockwave, and how the Beastimals exists int he same universe.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
This is the first comic I'm reading for transformers since 90s GI Joe / Transformers cross over and that was confusing as hell to me. Coupled with Shockwave, and how the Beastimals exists int he same universe.

Yeah, it was weird to see them so much in Prime and even the last two Wreckers book. Like Ratpack got brought in years ago so it would have been cool to bring them in with the other neutral robot nations. Bringing them in now seems superfluous.

It definitely looks like they are following the Morrison school of rebooting a universe by being vague and throwing a ton of stuff at readers at once to make the story seem important.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was weird to see them so much in Prime and even the last two Wreckers book. Like Ratpack got brought in years ago so it would have been cool to bring them in with the other neutral robot nations. Bringing them in now seems superfluous.

It definitely looks like they are following the Morrison school of rebooting a universe by being vague and throwing a ton of stuff at readers at once to make the story seem important.

I'm enjoying so far if only because it's getting me to retool my thinking of Transformers. I always assumed Omega supreme was a single entity but guess not

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
In part that's because the pacing was trainwrecked by the relaunch and now the reboot. There wasn't much time to settle. The changes that we've been told about for the first arc of LL were clearly for the worse.

Got a link for those changes? I've always suspected the reboot kind of derailed Lost Light but it'd be great to know to what extent.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Got a link for those changes? I've always suspected the reboot kind of derailed Lost Light but it'd be great to know to what extent.

It was on Twitter. Sorry, can't find a decent link. But essentially originally the Functionalist universe arc would have been a bit more organically weaved in with what was happening on the Lost Light at the time, but IDW wanted to make a cleaner "intro" arc for new readers. The new readers who were supposed to jump on board with the relaunch and didn't, entirely predictably.

Anode was also introduced earlier and more prominently than originally planned, and Lug was introduced in order to give more prominent exposition for new readers by having someone to explain everything to. But the feeling was that using Roller etc would require too much explanation of who he was for new readers. This was also a bad call IMO.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It was on Twitter. Sorry, can't find a decent link. But essentially originally the Functionalist universe arc would have been a bit more organically weaved in with what was happening on the Lost Light at the time, but IDW wanted to make a cleaner "intro" arc for new readers. The new readers who were supposed to jump on board with the relaunch and didn't, entirely predictably.

Anode was also introduced earlier and more prominently than originally planned, and Lug was introduced in order to give more prominent exposition for new readers by having someone to explain everything to. But the feeling was that using Roller etc would require too much explanation of who he was for new readers. This was also a bad call IMO.

For fuck's sake. All terrible changes indeed, especially replacing Roller with Anode and Lug. It always made no sense to me how we finally got Roller back and then he did pretty much nothing for the rest of Lost Light. >_<

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
For fuck's sake. All terrible changes indeed, especially replacing Roller with Anode and Lug. It always made no sense to me how we finally got Roller back and then he did pretty much nothing for the rest of Lost Light. >_<

To be fair, that Roller was ignored because of Anode is my supposition. Maybe he'd have been ignored anyway (but I doubt it). But it seems likely he'd have got a bit more time if Roberts hadn't squeezed in two new characters who needed quite a lot of screen time to be the reader representative.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That functionalist arc was, imho, a terrible jumping on point for new readers. What made them think that wouldn't just confuse the heck out of people?

Between that, the delays, and them putting three month old issues on comixology for a buck, it killed my interest in collecting the line monthly.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lost Light #23
"Now we save the universe."- Megatron
Yeah I guess we can all agree this series is at its best when Megatron is around

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
You know, things are happening, worlds are being literally torn in two, the death count is beyond a number count, revelations galore are occurring that are GOOD, shit looks grime and everything feels like it's coming together for the first time in ages.

I'm having fun with this.

And best bot
Prowl
is going to help save the day...........or everything gets eaten, whatever.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I hate that Roberts obviously had all these ideas in store to develop them slowly over time and now he's forced to shoot them rapid-fire before the end. It's season 4 of Babylon 5 all over again.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I hate that Roberts obviously had all these ideas in store to develop them slowly over time and now he's forced to shoot them rapid-fire before the end. It's season 4 of Babylon 5 all over again.
Babylon 5 still worth watching in 2018 amigo?

I feel yeah, there are various series feel like their creator(s) just needed to rush things to finish them up, but at least we're getting some good moments still.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Errr... I have no clue, frankly :D I liked it a lot back then; it kind of has a similar character-based, slow stewing plotlines, anti totalitarian politics and epic payoffs that MTMTE has. The first season is quite slow, and it was visually unimpressive even back then (especially the CGI, which was done on a shoestring budget) but it sows a lot of seeds that makes the series gets really good later on. I never got around to watching the fifth season because the director was told he would have to cut it short to four seasons, so he hurried the fourth season at breakneck pace, only to be told that there would in fact be a fifth season, after most of the plotlines had been resolved.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The accents aren't all that but that scene is good IMO.

The entire shtick of the Centauri is that they're the most outwardly similar to humans and their political system is a mish-mash of different periods of human history: the accents and elaborate costumes are a part of that, as well as a way to make them more different to humans (similar, but distinct).

The funny thing is that they exploited that similarity to get humans to trust them and even lied that they were taxonomically related to humans, but they're actually completely different physiologically, with two hearts and bizarre organ distribution (this is not a spoiler as it's mentioned in the very first episode as a background detail). The series is pretty good about warning to judge by appearances and demeanor.

The other two major races are still humanoid but more visually distinct, and as far as I can remember they don't have any accents:
narn-035384e1-4fcd-4934-abd2-dcfce2744fa-resize-750.jpeg

cezbv.jpg

There's a fifth major race but their actual form would be a spoiler. :)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. Sometimes it's like watching a high school play, production value wise, but the characters and storytelling carry the day every damn time. Season 4 is packed, yes, but it's one of the greatest seasons of television ever made as a result. The first half of season 5 is still a drag and a half, but for a quarter century old show it holds up astonishingly well.

Nov 1, 2017
It's a pity that the CGI doesn't hold up very well at all, it's very....rough for the first three seasons or so especially . If only they had done what JMS wanted, for the show to be "upgradable" in older episodes as the tech came available, it was made with this in mind. Unfortunately Warner took all the money and didn't put it back into the show which really pissed off JMS. He kinda got dicked over by WB, looking at how they handle movies.....it's not only a TV thing they do ie: According to them movies like Harry Potter never made a profit.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Good old Hollywood accounting. The CG gets the action across well enough but there have been a few shots that make Beast Wars look like Jurassic Park.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, you never are wondering "what's that", it's just very.....PSish quality in some way, it does improve in some models later. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the human ships later and the designs for the various ships are always top notch stuff, everything is very distinct from one another. The White Star will always be a favorite of mine on it's design.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, got a preorder down for a box of the tcg. Should be fun, hoping I pull nemesis prime

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Got my assbackwards Hot Rod today. Took a chance on walmart.ca and the box is in perfect shape.

cYNJEYi.jpg

Kinda disappointed that they haven't announced more reissues. I'd get more.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Preordered my box of transformers tcg, got a deal to along with finding a nearby shop that's running it. Got my fingers crossed on pulling all the rare characters at least, really want Grimlock and shockwave. Of course one of the super rares would be nice

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone gonna get into that Transformers trading card game at the end of this month?

Got my assbackwards Hot Rod today. Took a chance on walmart.ca and the box is in perfect shape.

cYNJEYi.jpg

Kinda disappointed that they haven't announced more reissues. I'd get more.

Saw a bunch of him in the wild this week, along with Starscream. Still searching for Devastator.

The things they've chosen to reissue are really random.