• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah I was going to read Robots after MTMTE but maybe I'll pause now and catch up there. At what point does Robots begin to hit that cross over with Dark Cyberton?

At the exact same time, since both collections started at the same time, so they were at the same issue when the crossover happened. #1 of Dark Cybertron is an independent one-shot (because of course it wouldn't be confusing enough otherwise), but then #2 is MTMTE #23, #3 is RiD #23, #4 is MTMTE #24, #5 is RiD #24, and so on until the end.

That devastator that's costs almost 300 when I'm done.…

Yeah, that's definitely something to give anyone pause. It's mostly for people like me that are REALLY invested in collecting and have wanted a Devastator since they were kids. :D

know in the LEGO world stuff like that eventually comes on sale. Is this something I can wait for or do transformers work in a limited quantity and than they are gone?

The Japanese version of Devastator is unlikely to ever go down in price, methinks. If Hasbro reissues the American version, it's possible it will eventually go lower in price (it did, right before it was sold out, as stores were clearing out stock). Then again reissues rarely go low in price because they're made in much smaller amounts, so there's that.

I did get that scoop and was happy about that.

Oh, you got it already? That's cool! :)

Oct 25, 2017
At the exact same time, since both collections started at the same time, so they were at the same issue when the crossover happened. #1 of Dark Cybertron is an independent one-shot (because of course it wouldn't be confusing enough otherwise), but then #2 is MTMTE #23, #3 is RiD #23, #4 is MTMTE #24, #5 is RiD #24, and so on until the end.

Thanks, I'll catch up on RiD first then!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I am pretty sure they are the same exact figure... just that MP-10 was a reissue.... I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it. I have MP-10 and its a fine MP.

I thought MP-1 was the original (bigger) one, MP-4 was the re-release of that with the trailer (and maybe some other differences), MP-10 is the smaller one that's supposed to be sized with the rest of the masterpieces?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought MP-1 was the original (bigger) one, MP-4 was the re-release of that with the trailer (and maybe some other differences), MP-10 is the smaller one that's supposed to be sized with the rest of the masterpieces?

MP-1 was the original and it did not have any other MP figures for context so it was a pretty big robot.
MP-4 came out with the trailer and it was resized to be in line with other MP figures that were released, so it would not be towering over other figures that it normally would be equal height with in the cartoon or comics.
MP-10 according to what I read was just a re-issue of MP-4. I am not sure if there were any other changes to it, but I could be wrong...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, that's definitely something to give anyone pause. It's mostly for people like me that are REALLY invested in collecting and have wanted a Devastator since they were kids. :D
I always wanted to build at least one of the full combiner teams as a kid but never got around to it, I had some of the smaller Protectobots, Seacons and Technobots but the leaders were either expensive or hard to find here. I remember asking my parents for the Protectobot leader who is a fire engine (Hotspot?) having asked for the original autobot fire engine (Inferno?) the year before, I think that ultimately did my autobot recruitment campaign more harm than good! :D

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I always wanted to build at least one of the full combiner teams as a kid but never got around to it, I had some of the smaller Protectobots, Seacons and Technobots but the leaders were either expensive or hard to find here. I remember asking my parents for the Protectobot leader who is a fire engine (Hotspot?) having asked for the original autobot fire engine (Inferno?) the year before, I think that ultimately did my autobot recruitment campaign more harm than good! :D

Hahah, that's great. I never had any combiners as a kid; in fact, Spanish economics and steep TF prices (for the time) means I only ever had six Transformers: all five of Blaster's mini vehicle chums (Cosmos, Powerglide, Seaspray, Warpath and Beachcomber), plus one of the Insecticons, Kickback.

Then the stupidly generous kid me lent them to another kid, and I never saw them again. The story has a happy ending in that I was as a working adult I finally had enough money to buy them; first as original, secondhand stock, then the beautiful book-style Japanese reissues, of which I got quite a few, finally allowing me to get my hands on all these toys I coveted as a kid. :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hahah, that's great. I never had any combiners as a kid; in fact, Spanish economics and steep TF prices (for the time) means I only ever had six Transformers: all five of Blaster's mini vehicle chums (Cosmos, Powerglide, Seaspray, Warpath and Beachcomber), plus one of the Insecticons, Kickback.

Then the stupidly generous kid me lent them to another kid, and I never saw them again. The story has a happy ending in that I was as a working adult I finally had enough money to buy them; first as original, secondhand stock, then the beautiful book-style Japanese reissues, of which I got quite a few, finally allowing me to get my hands on all these toys I coveted as a kid. :)
I had Powerglide, in fact I think he was one of my first Transformers! They were all such wonderful toys to me, nothing else came close. The other ones that would make up my first five were Cliffjumper, Hound, Brawn and Sludge, I didn't really collect with any theme or anything, just a mix of my favourites from the comics combined with what was available in my local Woolworths (high street chain that sold a bit of everything) :D

I know the feeling of being an adult and seeing the toys now- I was in Forbidden Planet (big sci-fi/comic/merch chain) in London last week and looked at the Fort Max and Trypticon toys they had with such a grin on my face. No way can I justify buying them for my daughter, but my inner kid me just liked knowing that 'I could buy one. I just choose not to'.

What I did have as a kid was the Powermaster Optimus Prime. Now that was a cool toy, although I much preferred the early G1 toys that largely looked like they could hide amid a collection of toy cars.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I had Powerglide, in fact I think he was one of my first Transformers! They were all such wonderful toys to me, nothing else came close. The other ones that would make up my first five were Cliffjumper, Hound, Brawn and Sludge, I didn't really collect with any theme or anything, just a mix of my favourites from the comics combined with what was available in my local Woolworths (high street chain that sold a bit of everything) :D

I know the feeling of being an adult and seeing the toys now- I was in Forbidden Planet (big sci-fi/comic/merch chain) in London last week and looked at the Fort Max and Trypticon toys they had with such a grin on my face. No way can I justify buying them for my daughter, but my inner kid me just liked knowing that 'I could buy one. I just choose not to'.

What I did have as a kid was the Powermaster Optimus Prime. Now that was a cool toy, although I much preferred the early G1 toys that largely looked like they could hide amid a collection of toy cars.

You'll fall to the Dark Side eventually. It's a matter of time. :D

Nice that you got Powermaster Prime as a kid, though! About a decade ago, the Japanese version of it that came with an additional component was produced in such large quantities that you could get it for peanuts. It's one of those where the Takara version is considerably better, in this case because it has actually collapsible fists that don't stick out in truck mode.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
MP-1 was the original and it did not have any other MP figures for context so it was a pretty big robot.
MP-4 came out with the trailer and it was resized to be in line with other MP figures that were released, so it would not be towering over other figures that it normally would be equal height with in the cartoon or comics.
MP-10 according to what I read was just a re-issue of MP-4. I am not sure if there were any other changes to it, but I could be wrong...

Yes you have got confused.

MP-1 and MP-4 are the same mold and do not fit in with the current Masterpiece line. MP-10 is a completely different mold and basically started off the new era and scale of the line. He will now be getting replaced with MP-44

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

No, I looked it up too, I'm sure MP-1 and MP-4 are the same, just the latter came with a trailer, and MP-10 was the first resized one. The only figures released between MP-1 and MP-4 were Ultra Magnus (white recolor of MP-1) and starscream.

Oct 30, 2017
You lucky bastards who had combiners, even parts of them when you were kids. Why, when I was a kid, the only Transformers I had were Micromasters. Thankfully, I have two brothers, so I also got to manhandle their hand-me-down TFs as well. But only the Micromasters were mine.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you have got confused.

MP-1 and MP-4 are the same mold and do not fit in with the current Masterpiece line. MP-10 is a completely different mold and basically started off the new era and scale of the line. He will now be getting replaced with MP-44
No, I looked it up too, I'm sure MP-1 and MP-4 are the same, just the latter came with a trailer, and MP-10 was the first resized one. The only figures released between MP-1 and MP-4 were Ultra Magnus (white recolor of MP-1) and starscream.

Ahhh ok, thanks for clarifying... I thought MP-4 was the resized one and then MP-10 was just the reissue of it...

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
My first combiner was Tripredacus from Beast Wars. Was actually tempted to buy the Takara reissue a few years ago but it felt over priced.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I was young I got the Aerialbots and so could form Superion.
I'm retroactively envious :D

I always remember the advertising material that masqueraded as a comic, with Defensor getting his arse kicked by Bruticus and Menasor before Superion turns up and a) claims all the glory and b) suggests the poor 'cons don't have rule the skies any more. I was aggrieved at this- like Silverbolt, I really don't like heights (lovely character flaw for an Autobot leader that tuned into a Concorde) and so was drawn more to the Protectobots out of the two!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You lucky bastards who had combiners, even parts of them when you were kids. Why, when I was a kid, the only Transformers I had were Micromasters. Thankfully, I have two brothers, so I also got to manhandle their hand-me-down TFs as well. But only the Micromasters were mine.

Could have been worse. You could have been born a little later and been saddled with Action Masters.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Question: So, we all know that when it comes to the MP line, if you see one on ebay that is shipping from China, 98% of the time its a KO. Do we know if the same rules apply to 3rd party transformers? Specifically Fans Toys? I am looking to pick up the Sovereign figure and all stores are sold out, but of course ebay is ripe with auctions and Buy it Now's, but of course they are all from China...

Let me know if they're KO's or not, so I can figure out my next move.

Thanks

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, the Moonracer/Novastar mold from PotP is getting one more figure, in Siege:

1544743297-48275235-2241487056095200-8274695631834972160-n.jpg

Which is significant for a few reasons:

- She still retains the combiner peg and Prime armor (hand), which ain't a part of Siege until now.
- Which is especially bizarre, considering Siege Chromia had the peg removed despite being a retool of Moonracer as well (although she's a pretty extensive retool, unlike Nova and Greenlight who just have a new head and new paint job).
- Greenlight has never had a figure before (she didn't even have a name from 1986-2010)
- Elita Inf1nite is almost complete!

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh wow, the Moonracer/Novastar mold from PotP is getting one more figure, in Siege:

- She still retains the combiner peg and Prime armor (hand), which ain't a part of Siege until now.
- Greenlight has never had a figure before (she didn't even have a name from 1986-2010)

I never got Moonracer (literally never came across any), perhaps this one will be more readily available here in Spain.

Also, Siege Deluxes come in boxes, rather than blisters? I can't recall this ever happening in any non-Japanese line. O_o

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Could have been worse. You could have been born a little later and been saddled with Action Masters.
Were they the same as triggerbots etc (I posted one earlier on the thread)? Yeah, the gimmicks in the second half of the G1 range made them less and less appealing to me as a kid. I mean, we had oddball stuff relatively early on (Twin-twist and Topspin, sparkler Mini-Bots etc) but despite appearing in the comics (or at least the UK ones), few of those ever appear on lists of people's favourites as the special features often meant severely limited articulation too. Triple changers and even the engineering involved in getting a robot to turn into an actual almost-realistic vehicle were just magic in toy form for me, even the later headmasters, pretenders etc had very limited play options in comparison and the 'in disguise' part went out of the window when there was no attempt to look like earth cars . Despite the obvious creativity and technology in use, they felt less amazing somehow at that point. I remember looking at an autobot 'double targetmaster' (Quickmix?) in a toyshop and thinking 'yeah, you aren't really trying any more' :D

I remember my dad liked Ultra Magnus as the car transporter was cool, but then his massive robot form was about the same size as the Metroplex toy, which he found a bit confusing when taking me to see the 1986 movie. I remember saying 'that's nothing dad, Broadside can turn into an aircraft carrier and a F-18 Hornet that would need to land on that same carrier. And Megatron, Soundwave, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Lazerbeak and Buzzsaw can all fit in Starscream's cockpit'. This was a good conversation to distract a distraught 7-year-old me that had just seen his childhood heroes slaughtered en-masse to make room for new (slightly worse) toys!

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never got Moonracer (literally never came across any), perhaps this one will be more readily available here in Spain.

Also, Siege Deluxes come in boxes, rather than blisters? I can't recall this ever happening in any non-Japanese line. O_o

Yep! It's weird seeing them. They look like small Voyagers on the shelf.

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

- Which is especially bizarre, considering Siege Chromia had the peg removed despite being a retool of Moonracer as well (although she's a pretty extensive retool, unlike Nova and Greenlight who just have a new head and new paint job).

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was this a way to justify a price increase or something?

Probably. But it may also be so they have more versatility as far as placement goes... they can sit on a shelf but they can also still hang on a hook since they have a plastic hanger thingy at the top as well:

1540421045-deluxe-wave-1-packaging.jpg

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
This was a good conversation to distract a distraught 7-year-old me that had just seen his childhood heroes slaughtered en-masse to make room for new (slightly worse) toys!
Slightly worse? More like much worse. The 86 movie was an absolute disgrace, probably the most cynical piece of marketing bullshit ever inflicted on kids in the cinema.

Seriously, fuck the movie.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Slightly worse? More like much worse. The 86 movie was an absolute disgrace, probably the most cynical piece of marketing bullshit ever inflicted on kids in the cinema.

Every time I see the 1986 ad for Magnus and Galvatron toys titled 'the new leaders' I react with about the same level of enthusiasm that I welcome a new Tory government here with.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't often buy the new stuff these days but I'd be all over that Hound if I saw it, it's very damn good.

I just got it at Target a couple days ago. He's still in the package until Christmas morning, but he's clearly going to be awesome. I'm watching for Sideswipe too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Were they the same as triggerbots etc (I posted one earlier on the thread)?

Oh man, if only. Action Masters were based on the wonderful, groundbreaking idea of making Transformer toys that don't transform at all.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Action_Master
Within the MTMTE mythos, they were, in typically brillant Roberts' way, reimagined as the Militant Monoform Movement, a religious group that removed their transformation cogs as a way to reject Adaptus, and eventually the Functionist doctrine (after all, if you don't have an alt mode, you can't be forced into a job you don't want to because of it).

Many of the toys from this line were of earlier, more well-known Transformers like Grimlock or Bumblebee, but a few were new characters specifically created for it, including Krok (our beloved Scavengers team member), and Skyfall (Ironfist / Fisitron's colleague and rival who sabotaged the latter's experimental gun. Interesting, most of the the other Action Master exclusive characters seem to feature often on Roberts' works (at least two seem to cameo on Last Stand of the Wreckers, his first work) so perhaps he holds more nostalgia for them than many other fans. :D

Yeah, the gimmicks in the second half of the G1 range made them less and less appealing to me as a kid. I mean, we had oddball stuff relatively early on (Twin-twist and Topspin, sparkler Mini-Bots etc) but despite appearing in the comics (or at least the UK ones), few of those ever appear on lists of people's favourites as the special features often meant severely limited articulation too. Triple changers and even the engineering involved in getting a robot to turn into an actual almost-realistic vehicle were just magic in toy form for me, even the later headmasters, pretenders etc had very limited play options in comparison and the 'in disguise' part went out of the window when there was no attempt to look like earth cars . Despite the obvious creativity and technology in use, they felt less amazing somehow at that point. I remember looking at an autobot 'double targetmaster' (Quickmix?) in a toyshop and thinking 'yeah, you aren't really trying any more' :D

Funnily, Hasbro seems to be heading down that same path again, running out of gimmicks to re-sell Transformers toys even to adult collectors. I mean, the current line's gimmick is dirt and battle damage. That's pretty low in the barrel to scrape. Once you've sold pretty much as good a version of every G1 character as current engineering allows for that price point, there's not many places to go from there that doesn't involve creating new characters en masse (which are kind of a tough sell for adult collectors). I expect things to get worse from here.

I remember my dad liked Ultra Magnus as the car transporter was cool, but then his massive robot form was about the same size as the Metroplex toy, which he found a bit confusing when taking me to see the 1986 movie. I remember saying 'that's nothing dad, Broadside can turn into an aircraft carrier and a F-18 Hornet that would need to land on that same carrier. And Megatron, Soundwave, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Lazerbeak and Buzzsaw can all fit in Starscream's cockpit'. This was a good conversation to distract a distraught 7-year-old me that had just seen his childhood heroes slaughtered en-masse to make room for new (slightly worse) toys![/QUOTE]

I never actually saw the movie on cinemas (most likely it was never even released on them here). I only watched it quite a few several years later (I was 15 I think, so at least 1992). Being a teenager and having already seen Optimus die in the comics as a kid, it was more like "oh, that's a really cool death scene". :D

Yep! It's weird seeing them. They look like small Voyagers on the shelf.

That's pretty cool. Infinitely better for collecting if you keep the boxes (even though by now I know how to open blisters and leave them looking unopened, which has been useful for amiibos as well).

Nah man, the movie is cool. You can't hold against it that it was made to sell toys any more than you can the original cartoon or comic. And beyond that, it's a freaking breakneck space adventure with tons of epic moments.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You guys who feel like the animated movie was terrible: you're wrong. Objectively. It was a commercial failure but I did my part, seeing it in the theater twice (once for a birthday party).

I mean, I'm not even a big fan of Galvatron, Rodimus, and the rest and I still thought the movie was incredible. Though it really bugged me that they didn't have the rest of the combiners, Snarl (where the heck did he go), and that the moon bases were basically manned by two people each. Having had friends with Powered Convoy, I also envisioned Ultra Magnus as more of a Prime with body armor rather than an autobot that doesn't win any battles. Of course as a kid I didn't realize the lead time the movie needed or the fact that they were just trying to sell new toys (well, I did a little, but as a kid I just wanted new toys anyway).

And that soundtrack.

Shoot, I don't even like the Headmasters/Targetmasters all that much, but if they had made a second movie to transition to those toys, I would have been all in.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh man, if only. Action Masters were based on the wonderful, groundbreaking idea of making Transformer toys that don't transform at all.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Action_Master
Within the MTMTE mythos, they were, in typically brillant Roberts' way, reimagined as the Militant Monoform Movement, a religious group that removed their transformation cogs as a way to reject Adaptus, and eventually the Functionist doctrine (after all, if you don't have an alt mode, you can't be forced into a job you don't want to because of it).

Many of the toys from this line were of earlier, more well-known Transformers like Grimlock or Bumblebee, but a few were new characters specifically created for it, including Krok (our beloved Scavengers team member), and Skyfall (Ironfist / Fisitron's colleague and rival who sabotaged the latter's experimental gun. Interesting, most of the the other Action Master exclusive characters seem to feature often on Roberts' works (at least two seem to cameo on Last Stand of the Wreckers, his first work) so perhaps he holds more nostalgia for them than many other fans. :D

Funnily, Hasbro seems to be heading down that same path again, running out of gimmicks to re-sell Transformers toys even to adult collectors. I mean, the current line's gimmick is dirt and battle damage. That's pretty low in the barrel to scrape. Once you've sold pretty much as good a version of every G1 character as current engineering allows for that price point, there's not many places to go from there that doesn't involve creating new characters en masse (which are kind of a tough sell for adult collectors). I expect things to get worse from here.

I never actually saw the movie on cinemas (most likely it was never even released on them here). I only watched it quite a few several years later (I was 15 I think, so at least 1992). Being a teenager and having already seen Optimus die in the comics as a kid, it was more like "oh, that's a really cool death scene". :D
Thanks for filling the gaps in my knowledge- I think that around 1990 was when I kinda stopped following transformers and was more into computer games. I did read the 12-issue US comic 'generation 2' in the early 90s(subtitle: 'this is not your father's autobot', displaying a curious lack of how the timescale of human generations actually work), but the 'your toys! But now grimdark because the 90s is an edgelord nirvana for US comics!' was kinda lost on me.

I'll say it again, this thread has been awesome for reintroducing me to something that was such a huge part of my life as a boy. Thanks everyone :-)

In particular, thanks Weltall Zero for getting me into the comics again. So cool to see the Wreckers again. They were my favourites in the UK comics and at the time every moment the Decepticons had the upper hand I was thinking 'if only Impactor, Whirl, Roadbuster and co were here, you'd all be scrap!'.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for filling the gaps in my knowledge- I think that around 1990 was when I kinda stopped following transformers and was more into computer games. I did read the 12-issue US comic 'generation 2' in the early 90s(subtitle: 'this is not your father's autobot', displaying a curious lack of how the timescale of human generations actually work), but the 'your toys! But now grimdark because the 90s is an edgelord nirvana for US comics!' was kinda lost on me.

I'll say it again, this thread has been awesome for reintroducing me to something that was such a huge part of my life as a boy. Thanks everyone :-)

In particular, thanks Weltall Zero for getting me into the comics again. So cool to see the Wreckers again. They were my favourites in the UK comics and at the time every moment the Decepticons had the upper hand I was thinking 'if only Impactor, Whirl, Roadbuster and co were here, you'd all be scrap!'.

This was pretty much me too; G2 lost me completely. It's weird because they toys weren't even particularly edgy; more like garish and downright clownish.

And yeah, I've been thinking about the "this is not your father's Autobot" too! I mean, it was like five freaking years later in real time, was this made by aliens that thought the planet's dominant species were cats (not an unreasonable assumption, to be fair)?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Im excited to hear this BumbleBee movie is great. Be nice to be able to enjoy a transformers movie bc the cgi in them is insane.

We are halfway done the old movie but it's great. Tons of fun. What cartoons should be, escapism. Now they try to teach kids every single scene. It's amabarassing how bad cartoons are these days.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Season 4 of the G1 Transformers cartoon going to be longer? Or so I've heard.

According to David Wise, the writer of that season...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRk-sOMZ6Y

Sunbow called him up and said "We're making a season 4. It's five episodes long, and you have to introduce 130 new characters." It was an absurd request (beyond the usual absurdity), but it was paying work, so he did his best.

Then Sunbow looked at his script and said "Looks great. By the way, the budget has been slashed, so now it's three episodes. Do it again but this time with three episodes instead of five."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This was pretty much me too; G2 lost me completely. It's weird because they toys weren't even particularly edgy; more like garish and downright clownish.

And yeah, I've been thinking about the "this is not your father's Autobot" too! I mean, it was like five freaking years later in real time, was this made by aliens that thought the planet's dominant species were cats (not an unreasonable assumption, to be fair)?
Perhaps they thought teenagers think five years is a very long time, and also wanted to further increase that perception of distance in order to separate the cartoony original adventures for kids from the new ones they were selling to adolescents based on this strange kind of 'five-minutes-ago nostalgia for teens' they were leaning on.

Funny really, my five years at secondary school seemed to take forever, now it's like a film/game that came out in 2013 that I'm permanently thinking came out 'fairly recently' :D

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about that "This is Not Your Father's ___" slogan, so I decided to google it's roots and...

It was invented as "This is Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" for 1989 (with commercials airing in 1988, because cars).

It was also paired with "The New Generation of Olds" as another catchphrase. Meaning that "Transformers Generation 2: This is Not Your Father's Autobot" was ripping off Oldsmobile advertisements in two ways (the Generation thing and the Father thing). The entirety of "G1" owes it's name (retroactively) to 90's Oldsmobiles.

And Transformers G2 came out in 1992, meaning it was a four years out of date reference when it was trying to be hip with the kids. Super lame reference, old man.

Also, 90's American cars were shiiiiit, maybe the most shit cars in the history of cars, and Oldsmobile was no exception (speaking from experience here). And these guys were trying to describe not being a 1960's Oldsmobile as a good thing? Wow. Also, hello Transformers G2. I didn't see you standing there.

Also, Star Trek the Next Generation started airing in 1987, one year before this commercial implying that Shatner is obsolete Old Generation. Also, no offense but... there's a Melanie Shatner? Oh hey, hi there again Transformers G2.

Oh hey, I just noticed that in Demolition Man (1993), one year after The Transformers apparently thought Oldsmobile was cool, Stallone's character commandeers a restored 1970 Oldsmobile 442 from the buried underground world, and when he breaks up to the surface world he appears inside a 90's future Oldsmobile dealership. I wonder if that was the filmmakers trying to convey a message of "screw your next-gen cars, we liked your old ones better"?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was just thinking about that "This is Not Your Father's ___" slogan, so I decided to google it's roots and...

It was invented as "This is Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" for 1989 (with commercials airing in 1988, because cars).

It was also paired with "The New Generation of Olds" as another catchphrase. Meaning that "Transformers Generation 2: This is Not Your Father's Autobot" was ripping off Oldsmobile advertisements in two ways (the Generation thing and the Father thing). The entirety of "G1" owes it's name (retroactively) to 90's Oldsmobiles.

And Transformers G2 came out in 1992, meaning it was a four years out of date reference when it was trying to be hip with the kids. Super lame reference, old man.

Also, 90's American cars were shiiiiit, maybe the most shit cars in the history of cars, and Oldsmobile was no exception (speaking from experience here). And these guys were trying to describe not being a 1960's Oldsmobile as a good thing? Wow. Also, hello Transformers G2. I didn't see you standing there.

Also, Star Trek the Next Generation started airing in 1987, one year before this commercial implying that Shatner is obsolete Old Generation. Also, no offense but... there's a Melanie Shatner? Oh hey, hi there again Transformers G2.

Oh hey, I just noticed that in Demolition Man (1993), one year after The Transformers apparently thought Oldsmobile was cool, Stallone's character commandeers a restored 1970 Oldsmobile 442 from the buried underground world, and when he breaks up to the surface world he appears inside a 90's future Oldsmobile dealership. I wonder if that was the filmmakers trying to convey a message of "screw your next-gen cars, we liked your old ones better"?

Fascinating stuff, well done! Presumably the comics writers were old enough to think the 'this is not your father's auto' was a clever play on both the ads they remembered and 'but they turn into cars' without thinking that a) the kids were incredibly unlikely to recall an ad aimed at adults in media aimed at adults years previously and b) any overseas readers weren't going to get it either!

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Just added a gen 1 Galvatron and Cyclonus to my collection. I had a Cyclonus when I was a wee lad but it broke and I've always wanted a Galvatron so its nice to finally get him.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
According to David Wise, the writer of that season...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRk-sOMZ6Y

Sunbow called him up and said "We're making a season 4. It's five episodes long, and you have to introduce 130 new characters." It was an absurd request (beyond the usual absurdity), but it was paying work, so he did his best.

Then Sunbow looked at his script and said "Looks great. By the way, the budget has been slashed, so now it's three episodes. Do it again but this time with three episodes instead of five."

This thread might be the most informative for me in ResetEra. Thanks a lot for the juicy details, guys!

Perhaps they thought teenagers think five years is a very long time, and also wanted to further increase that perception of distance in order to separate the cartoony original adventures for kids from the new ones they were selling to adolescents based on this strange kind of 'five-minutes-ago nostalgia for teens' they were leaning on.

Funny really, my five years at secondary school seemed to take forever, now it's like a film/game that came out in 2013 that I'm permanently thinking came out 'fairly recently' :D

This is such a great example; in my case it's primary school that seems like an entire literal lifetime, while things from a decade ago feel like yesterday. Case in point; I just read above that Demolition Man is from 1993 and my hair instantly turned white (and no, not to match Wesley Snipes'). I guess our brains just measure time in relation to how much we've already lived, which also accouts for why we old geezers have no trouble waiting a year or two for a game to go down in price. :D

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread might be the most informative for me in ResetEra. Thanks a lot for the juicy details, guys!

This is such a great example; in my case it's primary school that seems like an entire literal lifetime, while things from a decade ago feel like yesterday. Case in point; I just read above that Demolition Man is from 1993 and my hair instantly turned white (and no, not to match Wesley Snipes'). I guess our brains just measure time in relation to how much we've already lived, which also accouts for why we old geezers have no trouble waiting a year or two for a game to go down in price. :D
Hah, yes, I stick almost everything on a wishlist and wait for sales, whether it's books, games or films, I've had stuff sit there for half a decade before getting around to them or finally deleting them on the basis that I clearly wasn't that interested :D

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Man, you guys aren't old enough to remember "this is not your father's oldsmobile?" It's something you have to google... Man, I must be too old to be collecting transforming cars. Oh wait, "they're for my son."