• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I was at Toy Fair today, and I was checking out the Flame Toys Transformers model kits, and they did not have this one on display, but it was part of their promotional material...

33253971158_df103b28cd_c.jpg

I also like that they have the IDW Megatron coming out, that has the Autobot logo on his chest...

47077339772_08027ae85b_c.jpg

Here is the back of the box:

47129686001_67339404b2_c.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hasbro Trypticon is down to $70 on BigBadToy, this seems like a great deal. Is there something I should be concerned about or was it just not a big mover?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm ok, interesting. For $70 I may just say screw it and throw it on with the Jetfire pre-order

It also looks like Springer is a triple changer despite only getting two forms in the promo shots.

What I love about Jetfire is that they took a cool storyline arc from the cartoon and put it into the figure...

33255327718_99e7a28ba4_c.jpg

33255327708_2379d08441_c.jpg

His alt mode is pretty nice too...

47078424482_a08dfb67ae_c.jpg

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Shockwave today. He's great! Except for the armor in bot mode. Ultra Magnus is better in that regard.
20190217_223433-jpg.28207547

20190217_182820-jpg.28207522

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I love about Jetfire is that they took a cool storyline arc from the cartoon and put it into the figure...

33255327708_2379d08441_c.jpg

His alt mode is pretty nice too...

47078424482_a08dfb67ae_c.jpg

Holy shit!

This reminds of the Jetfire toy I had in the 80's, my mum found it the other month, it was wrecked, but so many happy memories, I am tempted in buying this just for the nostalgia alone.

Oct 25, 2017
If there's such a thing as "too big" for your figure collection, definitely stay away from Titan-sized figures, they're all absolutely freaking massive. I would love to have the money and especially space to get them all, that'd be a sight to behold, but yeah...

I could make the space, but I'm also not the kind of person who wants to dedicate entire walls/rooms to these things. So I'd sooner put that money into a Jetfire or Dinobot Power of the Primes which can fit into smaller space. The one video I watched said they had the Trypticon on a 4-foot table and it took up more than half when in city mode. The shots I've seen of the new Omega Supreme are just insane.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Whaaa there could have been a new Scorponok? God dammit

Though again, like I said the thing was huge based on the YT video. I wonder how many just skipped it because of the sheer size.

If Hasbro stick to their word he's coming regardless. The poll was supposed to be just to decide order but they throw that out of the window.

Oct 25, 2017
Opted to check out the Combiners Wars and for being a bunch of short episodes I thought it was really solid. Gunna finish out the Prime Wars trilogy for sure now since it's so easily digestible

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing the nose cone in bot mode is just a dummy, and that is how they managed to pull off the waist swivel. Pretty neat.
And that's why they ignored the vote results for the next Titan and just skipped Scorponok. Omega seems like an easier sell.
Still burns, but on the positive side if we wait longer we may get a better figure out of it. I can't stand the Metroplex/Fort Max titans, and they seem to have learned a lot since then looking at Omega.

Still wouldn't be surprised we don't get some Predaking-esque curveball next instead of Scorponok, like Tidal Wave or something.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm guessing the nose cone in bot mode is just a dummy, and that is how they managed to pull off the waist swivel. Pretty neat.

That's how it's been in the pretty fantastic Generations version; the chest cockpit ended up on the underside of the plane (here's a pic of the plane upside down):
jetfire24sml.png

However, want to get your mind blown? It's entirely animation-accurate:
skyfirecanopy.png

I geeked out something fierce when I found this out. :D

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of a first time total read-through of IDW, starting at the beginning. I'm all the way up to Dark Cybertron now.

MTMTE is so so good. I love how much Whirl sucks, my god. The panel where everyone is fighting in the final battle and he's back to back with Arcee telling her about how he accidentally ramped up the not-Transformers' (Ammonites and whoever) war and now they're part of the mess... and then he admits that oh yeah, he actually started the Autobot Decepticon war kinda accidentally too. Which made me think back and remember that yeah, he did in a small way, lol. Whirl is the worst, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of a first time total read-through of IDW, starting at the beginning. I'm all the way up to Dark Cybertron now.

MTMTE is so so good. I love how much Whirl sucks, my god. The panel where everyone is fighting in the final battle and he's back to back with Arcee telling her about how he accidentally ramped up the not-Transformers' (Ammonites and whoever) war and now they're part of the mess... and then he admits that oh yeah, he actually started the Autobot Decepticon war kinda accidentally too. Which made me think back and remember that yeah, he did in a small way, lol. Whirl is the worst, haha.

Whirl's cynical approach to things made me love him so much.

Do you have a definitive order on these? I was going to just pick and choose, but if there's a clear cut order I'll follow it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But this is just the later half of the run, and skips over the All Hail Megatron and earlier stuff.

All Hail Megatron is reportedly fucking terrible, so that's kind of a feature, not a bug. :P

Or is Costa the preferred starting point? Ah further in the thread someone made this https://www./threads/transformers-m...you-havent-read.1294055/page-2#post-220174717

"Someone". :D

Once I've become motivated to rewrite it I will :X

Fair enough!

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My definitive order on these has just been the IDW collections. Over the past few months they've gone on sale several times for $10 each (instead of the usual $25-$30). So I just grab 3 or 4 at a time, and now I have them all except phase 2 volume 8 which hasn't gone on sale yet, and p2v9 which isn't even out yet (that said, with the reboot now, who knows if they'll finish them, I might have to go hunt down the rest piecemeal).

There are a few mistakes here and there with the ordering... a spotlight out of place-ish sometimes etc, but for the most part it's fine. And I read all the way from the beginning of IDW: Furman era->All Hail era->first ongoing era->Roberts/Barber era. There are a couple of stinkers along the way, but reading lamer parts like AHM and Heart of Darkness makes it all the more rewarding when you get to the back half and see how clever Roberts and Barber really are, because they take EVERY little continuity discrepancy along the way and find a way to fix it. And most of those little fun patch up details are things you won't notice without looking at TF Wiki after each issue anyway, but once you DO see them, it's so awesome.

As infuriating as it is that say, the author of All Hail Megatron didn't seem to give a shit what Furman had written before him, later Barber and Roberts come in like masters and make the whole disjointed mess somehow seem like it was planned out the whole time, and do it in a super charismatic, quality way.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My definitive order on these has just been the IDW collections. Over the past few months they've gone on sale several times for $10 each (instead of the usual $25-$30). So I just grab 3 or 4 at a time, and now I have them all except phase 2 volume 8 which hasn't gone on sale yet, and p2v9 which isn't even out yet (that said, with the reboot now, who knows if they'll finish them, I might have to go hunt down the rest piecemeal).

There are a few mistakes here and there with the ordering... a spotlight out of place-ish sometimes etc, but for the most part it's fine. And I read all the way from the beginning of IDW: Furman era->All Hail era->first ongoing era->Roberts/Barber era. There are a couple of stinkers along the way, but reading lamer parts like AHM and Heart of Darkness makes it all the more rewarding when you get to the back half and see how clever Roberts and Barber really are, because they take EVERY little continuity discrepancy along the way and find a way to fix it. And most of those little fun patch up details are things you won't notice without looking at TF Wiki after each issue anyway, but once you DO see them, it's so awesome.

As infuriating as it is that say, the author of All Hail Megatron didn't seem to give a shit what Furman had written before him, later Barber and Roberts come in like masters and make the whole disjointed mess somehow seem like it was planned out the whole time, and do it in a super charismatic, quality way.

While I didn't read AHM or pretty much anything pre-MTMTE (with the exception of the other Roberts material), I deeply love how crafty he is in patching up other people's plot holes, continuity errors, and even discrepancies between different media. In my case, being a G1 old man, I'm most appreciative of the Cirque du Soleil-worthy balancing act to make the Matrix, Vector Sigma, sparks and protoforms ALL factor in somehow in how Transformers reproduce... and then he turns it into a fascinating plot point and even source of social commentary. Absolufuckingtely masterful.

Get this man to write the plot for the next Kingdom Hears or Metal Gear, he will salvage the franchises. :D

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017

Whirl is the best bot, he does not suck!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Wait, where are the collections going on periodic sales for 10 bucks?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have most of the issues digitally through various comixology sales and humble bundles but they're a pain to read, so I wouldn't mind getting the physical collections if they were that cheap.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That Jetfire is fantastic looking. I think I have the first Generations one which I thought was pretty good, but I may have to bite for this one.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Here is quick video I shot while at the Toy Fair yesterday... I really do love how Omega Supreme came out...

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Something about Omega has been bugging me since its reveal, and I'm thinking it's because his head seems significantly smaller relative the rest of his body compared to the G1 version.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Something about Omega has been bugging me since its reveal, and I'm thinking it's because his head seems significantly smaller relative the rest of his body compared to the G1 version.

It does a good job of giving him a more "heroic" figure without making the head too small like the WFC version did. Actually, most old figures had relatively large heads, except for Ratchet/Ironhide.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Huge body, small head" is visual language for "this dude is massive", so it's fine with me. Within reason I far prefer it to the opposite.

Actually, most old figures had relatively large heads, except for Ratchet/Ironhide.

Now that's just mean. :D

Oh god, I just had a revelation. Could Roberts be referencing those with the Functionist Universe's punishment of replacing people's heads with flat screens?

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
That Jetfire looks really really great. I don't think I have any Commander scale figures at this point though.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
To be fair, though, a lot of G1 figures were not good-looking toys in retrospect.

I'm not going to get this figure anyway (unless my daughter decides to ask me for it, then I will cave instantly), so it's not like they're losing a sale over it : ).

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I have the original G1 toy and it was horrible. I mean look at this thing:

omega-supreme-g1-robot.jpg

Looking at this G1 version, compared to the new Titan Siege figure... its like night and day...

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, where are the collections going on periodic sales for 10 bucks?

Comixology. They had a sale on damn near everything in December, and then had a Transformers sale for a couple weeks that ended 2/11. I'll watch and mention it back here next time.

EDIT: Hang on! Actually, it looks like that sale is happening AGAIN, NOW! This time they're $11, not $10, but whatever. All 8 volumes of Phase 1 (Furman/AHM/Costa) and Phase 2 (Roberts & Barber) up to volume 7 (just after Dark Cybertron) are all on sale for 10.99!

https://www.comixology.com/The-Transformers-The-IDW-Collection/comics-series/76437
https://www.comixology.com/Transformers-IDW-Collection-Phase-Two/comics-series/76442

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize that transformers had an OT until I ran across it by accident just now.
Comixology. They had a sale on damn near everything in December, and then had a Transformers sale for a couple weeks that ended 2/11. I'll watch and mention it back here next time.

EDIT: Hang on! Actually, it looks like that sale is happening AGAIN, NOW! This time they're $11, not $10, but whatever. All 8 volumes of Phase 1 (Furman/AHM/Costa) and Phase 2 (Roberts & Barber) up to volume 7 (just after Dark Cybertron) are all on sale for 10.99!

https://www.comixology.com/The-Transformers-The-IDW-Collection/comics-series/76437
https://www.comixology.com/Transformers-IDW-Collection-Phase-Two/comics-series/76442
Cool, thank you. I've never gotten into IDW continuity too much in the past but I've become interested in it recently.
I don't think I even have tome for this but I want to try haha