• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is not a pricing error, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger...

40240148323_bfb693945c_c.jpg

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibl...up-ghostbusters-echo-1-ectotron-figure/172040

Looks like this deal is dead, as its back up to $49.99

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comixology has a bunch of the Transformers UK collections on sale. Should I get the Best of Transformers UK collections that focus on story arcs, like City of Fear, or should I get the Classics UK volumes?

Oct 25, 2017
Prime Wars trilogy gripes: Optimus Optimal is a really dumb, bad name. I also hate the Unicron controled Rodimus Prime look, it's just bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Shockwave Siege showed up today. Took me ten minutes to figure out how it transforms to alt mode but it's pretty awesome. I kind of wish it came with a stand for when it's in alt mode

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I know it's supposed to be terrible, but I want to play this game so bad. I just have no idea how I would.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers_(PS2)

All the characters I love are in it and they look how I prefer them to look. And I know there will never be another game that lets me play as the 86' movie crew.

Anyone ever play it?
Wow, I forgot this even existed.

To my recall, it's not supposed to be very good. Transformers Armada was pretty dope on the PS2, though, and Devastation is probably up your alley if you find this one appealing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I know it's supposed to be terrible, but I want to play this game so bad. I just have no idea how I would.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers_(PS2)

All the characters I love are in it and they look how I prefer them to look. And I know there will never be another game that lets me play as the 86' movie crew.

Anyone ever play it?
Terrible? I thought this game was well praised? At least it's later updated ver.
EDIT: OH sorry I confused the two, this is the JP game. The Armada game is the one I was talking about ^^;

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow, I forgot this even existed.

To my recall, it's not supposed to be very good. Transformers Armada was pretty dope on the PS2, though, and Devastation is probably up your alley if you find this one appealing.

Played both of them. Enjoyed them both. Armada was a great game but I don't feel connected to that series at all. Devastation was great too, but it only had five playable characters compared to the huge list in this Japanese only PS2 game.

I love how this game firmly plants itself the G1 universe with several references to specific episodes.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The G1 PS2 game is a crime against humanity. It's particularly tragic considering how many characters it has and how good the models / transfomations are (for a PS2 game), but the gameplay is fucking atrocious.

If you find some way to play it, it's actually worth it just to experience how unbelievably bad it is. If what they say that you can learn more from a bad game than a good game is true, then this game is a whole college semester's worth of game design 101.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The G1 PS2 game is a crime against humanity. It's particularly tragic considering how many characters it has and how good the models / transfomations are (for a PS2 game), but the gameplay is fucking atrocious.

If you find some way to play it, it's actually worth it just to experience how unbelievably bad it is. If what they say that you can learn more from a bad game than a good game is true, then this game is a whole college semester's worth of game design 101.

This makes me so sad. :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Problem (well one of them) with the PS2 TF game from Japan was that if you got knocked down I seem to recall you had no good options on getting up. And the all range attack was feeble at best. So getting ganged up on happened more than it should. Then you have transformations and guns that mainly felt completely pointless, and those mine field sections (one of the few times transformations were required) which were super janky.

That said, I love niche Japanese releases like this, and love G1 so much that I can still kinda look past many issues because of the huge number of playable characters. But no doubt Armada, War/Fall of Cybertron and Devastation are light years better. Pity that Devastation will never see a sequel, I loved that game so darn much. It was the G1 game I wanted the PS2 game to be. Only thing the PS2 game had over it was the character count.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Are they completely done making console games at this point? I don't mind Earth Wars that much but it's very... not generous in how it gives out characters.

Oct 26, 2017
Not to stir up that discussion too much, but I just watched the Transformers episode of Toys That Made Us and wanted to talk Transformers a bit. I really enjoyed how casually IDW introduced romantic notions. It just felt natural, with a race that is mostly male but still has complex emotions, that they would fall in love. "Love is the right of all sentient beings" and so on. I'm not a fan of
how they had Rewind sacrifice himself in the most gripping Transformers story ever and then, a few issues later, took to parallel universe shenanigans to bring him back
, but yeah, it was a fine run. I'm only up to Drift: Empire of Stone through the collections so far, so I haven't seen all of those relationships mentioned, but they seem to make sense. Just don't make Megatron into a yandere for Optimus and I'm fine.

I'm a bit behind on the recent figures. With all those Youtube people getting super early copies it always seems like BBTS takes FOREVER to get stuff in stock, but I finally have Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, Flywheels and the Autobot Micromasters on the way. I tend to not bother with new versions of a single character unless they REALLY blow them out of the water. Shockwave was an absolute must since the Masterpiece (although I have it) was a bit strange, and he needs to be in my Generations collection anyway. I'm not super into UM, but I liked how this version looked so I turned my Shockwave preorder into a case preorder. Flywheels is entirely unimportant but will go perfectly with the amazing Battletrap. And the Micromasters were favourites of mine since they featured heavily in the comics and were affordable enough that I could actually get most of them back then.

Looking forward I appreciate Omega Supreme but he's just too big. My Predaking doesn't fit where the rest of the figures are so I need to figure out some special display solution. I would leap at a Sky Lynx or Scorponok which are certain to arrive eventually - until then they are some of the last remaining G1 figures I have displayed. At this point I have basically all characters I ever cared about in a good representation. Then again I've said many times that Transformers are wrapping up for me, and they keep coming out with more amazing interpretations.

On another note, it's a bit funny to see how MP entirely made the Binaltech line irrelevant. I used to love those figures and now they're just an irrelevant line that you can hardly even give away. I still have a bunch packed into their boxes that I tried to auction off several years back and they wouldn't sell.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not to stir up that discussion too much, but I just watched the Transformers episode of Toys That Made Us and wanted to talk Transformers a bit. I really enjoyed how casually IDW introduced romantic notions. It just felt natural, with a race that is mostly male but still has complex emotions, that they would fall in love. "Love is the right of all sentient beings" and so on. I'm not a fan of
how they had Rewind sacrifice himself in the most gripping Transformers story ever and then, a few issues later, took to parallel universe shenanigans to bring him back
, but yeah, it was a fine run. I'm only up to Drift: Empire of Stone through the collections so far, so I haven't seen all of those relationships mentioned, but they seem to make sense. Just don't make Megatron into a yandere for Optimus and I'm fine.

I think this is a discussion you're more than welcome to stir! MTMTE and Roberts were amazing for gay representation and gave us some of the most iconic and adorable couples in fiction, Transformers or otherwise. I understand feeling a bit cheated by how the spoiler was handled, although if you're binging the series now it might feel more immediate and thus inconsequential than if you had to wait however much time it was originally (a year?). I admit this was one of the times where I was kind of selfishly glad that they brought one of my favorite characters back even if it meant diminishing its impact and drama. I have a feeling this may be kind of a last minute decision because neither of them do a whole lot for the rest of the run beyond the MTMTE finale; it seemed more of "just give them the happy ending they deserve".

Transgender representation felt much more forced and I have a feeling it's something Roberts put in at the very last moment, probably due to fan feedback. At least he tried, and the problem is not so much with the representation itself as it is with how the characters feel like a forced late addition that also happen to be pretty Mary Sue-y. They're basically the Robertsverse version of Poochy / Scrappy (huh, why is it usually dogs? :D).

I'm a bit behind on the recent figures. With all those Youtube people getting super early copies it always seems like BBTS takes FOREVER to get stuff in stock, but I finally have Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, Flywheels and the Autobot Micromasters on the way. I tend to not bother with new versions of a single character unless they REALLY blow them out of the water. Shockwave was an absolute must since the Masterpiece (although I have it) was a bit strange, and he needs to be in my Generations collection anyway. I'm not super into UM, but I liked how this version looked so I turned my Shockwave preorder into a case preorder. Flywheels is entirely unimportant but will go perfectly with the amazing Battletrap. And the Micromasters were favourites of mine since they featured heavily in the comics and were affordable enough that I could actually get most of them back then.

Looking forward I appreciate Omega Supreme but he's just too big. My Predaking doesn't fit where the rest of the figures are so I need to figure out some special display solution. I would leap at a Sky Lynx or Scorponok which are certain to arrive eventually - until then they are some of the last remaining G1 figures I have displayed. At this point I have basically all characters I ever cared about in a good representation. Then again I've said many times that Transformers are wrapping up for me, and they keep coming out with more amazing interpretations.

On another note, it's a bit funny to see how MP entirely made the Binaltech line irrelevant. I used to love those figures and now they're just an irrelevant line that you can hardly even give away. I still have a bunch packed into their boxes that I tried to auction off several years back and they wouldn't sell.

I kind of disagree that Binaltech is made obsolete by Masterpiece, I think they do quite different things. Binaltech are metal, realistic cars with detailed interiors, engines, etc. that happen to turn into robots. Masterpiece are cartoon-accurate robots that turn into cartoon-accurate vehicles. The focus is on entirely different things: Binaltech robot modes don't look like G1 Transformers (hell, it gave us car Grimlock and car Ravage :D).

Of course it's entirely fair to feel that Masterpiece are strictly superior in covering your specific needs, and I kind of feel 80% that way too, but it's mostly because I'm a huge Transformers fan yet a real-life-car complete non-fan.

Oct 25, 2017

No stirring up happening here, this are all welcome discussions! I didn't get all the way up to the second half of your spoiler yet, but I do agree with how gripping that story was. The entire MTMTE and RID run has a lot of really wonderful story writing.

As for figures, I'm right there with you and being selective. I want to get a lot because, hey adult money, but I need to be mindful of space and such. I'm debating on even picking up the iconic folks (Prime, Megatron, Starscream) in favor of the more personal favorites (Predaking, Dino-bots, Astrotrain & Blitzwing).

Oct 26, 2017
No stirring up happening here, this are all welcome discussions! I didn't get all the way up to the second half of your spoiler yet, but I do agree with how gripping that story was. The entire MTMTE and RID run has a lot of really wonderful story writing.

As for figures, I'm right there with you and being selective. I want to get a lot because, hey adult money, but I need to be mindful of space and such. I'm debating on even picking up the iconic folks (Prime, Megatron, Starscream) in favor of the more personal favorites (Predaking, Dino-bots, Astrotrain & Blitzwing).

I think it's a fantastic thing that we're taking for granted nowadays: we can pretty much expect EVERYONE to turn up. With guys like the Duocons and Punch making it out, it seems Hasbro are quite intent on eventually covering all of G1, and even with notable omissions like the Autobot Targetmasters of the triplechanger Headmasters it's more a question of when rather than if. I think they finally cracked the code of how to approach Transformers. They made a huge mistake initially, when they killed off the most popular cast and tried to make a new one. Same thing that killed Masters of the Universe. You must have your Optimuses, Megatrons, Starscreams and Bumblebees available at all times, after that you can fill out the roster with anything. Newcomers can get the classics, experienced fans can get the ones that never got a remake before. And it makes sense - Hasbro always had random nobodies to fill out the shelves, but from the perspective of a kid it doesn't matter if that fifth or tenth Transformer they get also happens to be a forgotten G1 figure.

It _could_ be a problem once they inevitably run out of characters. They've been returning to some of the Universe/Reveal the Shield figures again and again, and I don't really see a need to get another Prowl or Jazz since the first ones were so good. Also, they can't rely on G1 nostalgia forever, once us old fans turn 50 or 60 I don't really think that many people will still collect. There will be Beast Wars or Armada or even Movie fans growing up to replace us and, probably, some kid who had Generations wants another go in thirty years. But I wonder how long the cycle will repeat.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a fantastic thing that we're taking for granted nowadays: we can pretty much expect EVERYONE to turn up. With guys like the Duocons and Punch making it out, it seems Hasbro are quite intent on eventually covering all of G1, and even with notable omissions like the Autobot Targetmasters of the triplechanger Headmasters it's more a question of when rather than if. I think they finally cracked the code of how to approach Transformers. They made a huge mistake initially, when they killed off the most popular cast and tried to make a new one. Same thing that killed Masters of the Universe. You must have your Optimuses, Megatrons, Starscreams and Bumblebees available at all times, after that you can fill out the roster with anything. Newcomers can get the classics, experienced fans can get the ones that never got a remake before. And it makes sense - Hasbro always had random nobodies to fill out the shelves, but from the perspective of a kid it doesn't matter if that fifth or tenth Transformer they get also happens to be a forgotten G1 figure.

It _could_ be a problem once they inevitably run out of characters. They've been returning to some of the Universe/Reveal the Shield figures again and again, and I don't really see a need to get another Prowl or Jazz since the first ones were so good. Also, they can't rely on G1 nostalgia forever, once us old fans turn 50 or 60 I don't really think that many people will still collect. There will be Beast Wars or Armada or even Movie fans growing up to replace us and, probably, some kid who had Generations wants another go in thirty years. But I wonder how long the cycle will repeat.

While I love that they have the iconic G1 in masterpiece form, even my adult self can't justify the costs of them. For the cost of Soundwave MP I can get 3-4 siege characters and even though I don't love the alt modes on some I've come to terms with them. That said the Siege Jetfire looks incredible and I scooped that up and can't wait for it show up (though I may cancel my BBTS and just order somewhere else).

What's been weird to me is to see some of the Micromasters being re-released. I could have sworn that was from an era that bombed, but yet they're all coming back out.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
While I love that they have the iconic G1 in masterpiece form, even my adult self can't justify the costs of them. For the cost of Soundwave MP I can get 3-4 siege characters and even though I don't love the alt modes on some I've come to terms with them. That said the Siege Jetfire looks incredible and I scooped that up and can't wait for it show up (though I may cancel my BBTS and just order somewhere else).
It's like comparing Chinese knockoffs to the real deal. Apples and oranges. MPs are obviously made for collectors and not for kids to get their grubby little hands on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like comparing Chinese knockoffs to the real deal. Apples and oranges. MPs are obviously made for collectors and not for kids to get their grubby little hands on.

I know full well what the MP ones are. just for me, as much as I love the detail, I'd rather pick up some Siege or Power of the Primes ones instead of dropping 100+ on each MP I like.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's really up to each one's budget. If you earn enough that you can confortably allocate a hundred or two a month on Masterpieces, why not? I'm on a complete shoestring budget right now, so my current allocation Transformers budget is zero; even Siege stuff is beyond my reach. :D

Oct 25, 2017
Make Toys has an insane Pandinus (Scorpinok) https://tfsource.com/make-toys/pandinus/

It's really up to each one's budget. If you earn enough that you can confortably allocate a hundred or two a month on Masterpieces, why not? I'm on a complete shoestring budget right now, so my current allocation Transformers budget is zero; even Siege stuff is beyond my reach. :D

Yah, I have no qualms over what people get. Just saying I'm happy to have the choice of picking what I want.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This isn't new, is it? I remember having seen that Decepticon-shaped sting quite a long time ago.

Yah, I have no qualms over what people get. Just saying I'm happy to have the choice of picking what I want.

Yeah, in the end, somene's bread and butter is someone else's unjustifiable expenses. To the guy who collects Masterpieces, the Generations stuff is cheap crap, while 3rd companies' stuff like the above is extravagant excess. :D

You do have a point that we should not interpret "I can't justify buying this stuff" (what you actually said) as "nobody should buy this stuff" (what I think Firemind interpreted). I make that mistake all the time.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't new, is it? I remember having seen that Decepticon-shaped sting quite a long time ago.

Not sure, I saw it pop up on TFSource instagram account

You do have a point that we should not interpret "I can't justify buying this stuff" (what you actually said) as "nobody should buy this stuff" (what I think Firemind interpreted). I make that mistake all the time.

It's all good friend. I forgive you for providing the step by step IDW reading guide

Oct 26, 2017
That "Scorponok" is exactly what's wrong with 3P. Overdesigned, out of proportion, a million accessories, and ridiculously priced. Not to mention of course coasting on stolen IP and goodwill.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That "Scorponok" is exactly what's wrong with 3P. Overdesigned, out of proportion, a million accessories, and ridiculously priced. Not to mention of course coasting on stolen IP and goodwill.
I don't understand the chest and head design. I own the original Scorponok but I wouldn't be interested in this even if it was more affordable. At some point it stops being a homage and becomes its own thing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nope you made it, I saw it! No take backsies

O... key?

I don't understand the chest and head design. I own the original Scorponok but I wouldn't be interested in this even if it was more affordable. At some point it stops being a homage and becomes its own thing.

In any case, as I mentioned, it's not exactly new; here's EmGo's review... from 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiImiJK6HY

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What are peoples thoughsts on the Power of the Prime's Dino-bots? I like how Grimlock and Swoop came out but the rest just seem rather, flat(?) in their look.

I only have Grimlock, Swoop and Slag, and they're OK; nothing mindblowing, but also pretty much the closest official figure you can get to the originals nowadays (golden / clear dino heads, etc.). The combined form looks pretty terrible (in photos and videos), although there's a fan mode with just two limbs that I need to try some day.

I'm joking and having fun.

Ah, OK! :D

Oct 26, 2017
What are peoples thoughsts on the Power of the Prime's Dino-bots? I like how Grimlock and Swoop came out but the rest just seem rather, flat(?) in their look.

I'm joking and having fun.

Parts reuse made them a bit wonky, but overall they are extremely G1 accurate renditions. The need to make them combine was the only thing holding them back.

To be more specific, Snarl, Slag and Swoop are amazing. Sludge is fine but dull. Grimlock is the one with the most forced changes because of the gimmick.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I only have Grimlock, Swoop and Slag, and they're OK; nothing mindblowing, but also pretty much the closest official figure you can get to the originals nowadays (golden / clear dino heads, etc.). The combined form looks pretty terrible (in photos and videos), although there's a fan mode with just two limbs that I need to try some day.

This is what I figured. I have a G1 Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge and a G2 Snarl, but no Swoop. I was going to buy em to have a complete set but now I might just throw money at a Swoop on eBay to just have the complete. TBH I kind of like the G2 Snarl over the PP Snarl.

Edit: Nevermind, people charging way too much for broken G1 Swoops

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sludge is fine but dull.

Wow, they went for G1 accuracy even on that. :D

This is what I figured. I have a G1 Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge and a G2 Snarl, but no Swoop. I was going to buy em to have a complete set but now I might just throw 20-30 at a Swoop on eBay to just have the complete. TBH I kind of like the G2 Snarl over the PP Snarl.

If you already have four of the five G1 (+G2) Dinobots, I'd say go for completing the set indeed. :)

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I know full well what the MP ones are. just for me, as much as I love the detail, I'd rather pick up some Siege or Power of the Primes ones instead of dropping 100+ on each MP I like.

I'd rather buy one amazing figure than a bunch of cheaper ones but that's just me.
And funny you should mention Pandinus . TFsource were selling the black recolor during black friday for 50% off. Sold out instantly, though. Would have jumped if it was the regular version.

Maketoys and Perfect effect aren't the standard 3P offering. Honestly most seem to be trying to make MP styled toys which I don't like.

Hell yeah! It's a bummer she never did show up in IDW.

Not a fan of Strafe?

Redemption-IAmADinobot.jpg