• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Cool! I am now! Actually, I'm in the middle of reading through IDW for the first time and I'm almost to where it looks like she shows up (according to TFWiki), so I'll be looking forward to that!

Biggest issues with Strafe are 1) she doesn't show up all that much, and 2) she does so in issues drawn by Silvio Ramondelli which I hate.

In more general terms, all of the Dinobots except for Grimlock were pretty much wasted on the less interesting branches of the IDW comics. I guess it makes sense they would feature most prominently in the more action-heavy, less plot-dense parts, but still.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, Wheelie shooting that Sweep in the face and killing him during Five Faces of Darkness was one of the most bad ass moments in G1. The only time he didn't suck.

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
and 2) she does so in issues drawn by Silvio Ramondelli which I hate.

Aw, I just found out that Windblade 2 is mostly not drawn by Sarah Stone, and the little bit that she did draw is the end of her IDW work. I liked her style a lot.

And in other news, I just finished the complete string of mind fucks that is MTMTE #38 and the two issues leading up to it... OMG. I love a well done time travel story, and the fact that Jro was able to drop ALL those hooks into the entire series (and its predecessor) leading up to it is incredible, lol. That was one of the best pieces of TF fiction ever.

And by the way:
not only the creation of the Funcionalist Universe, as depicted in the issue, but the Dead Universe too? Perceptor said that parallel universes weren't possible until he removed the paradox locks on the briefcase! And if so, was it also responsible for the other TF universes? G1? Marvel? Animated? Aligned? Hahahahaha, what a ridiculous but amazing story.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Where is the best place to keep up to date with upcoming Takara pre-orders? I want to be notified if they announce that they are reissueing Unite Warriors Guardian (Defensor).

Devastator and Superion have been announced so far.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That was one of the best pieces of fiction and quite possibly the best time travel story ever written.

FTFY. :)

In a comic filled to the brim with absolutely incredible, mindblowing storytelling (Shadowplay and Remain in Light are reasonable contenders for best comic arcs ever written), Elegant Chaos might be its crown jewel. Years later I still smile fondly every time I remember it and am regularly awestruck by the insane amount of foreshadowing sown during (real-time!) years throughout the comic.

I know opinions and all, but I really cannot take seriously anyone who argues that MTMTE isn't the best piece of TF every written by such a wide margin you need a space bridge to visit the others. It makes everything else look / read like the glorified toy commercials they are.

(Brought to you by the weekly Weltall Zero MTMTE rant).

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I have quite fond memories of Marvel US around #65 and onwards. It was the first time I considered Transformers could be dark. It made #50 where a giant Starscream kills everyone look like camp Adam West. Furman wrote Transformers to be living beings each with their own personality traits and faults. Nothing after that could come close to scratching that itch. Is there a way to obtain the Marvel UK run legally?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I have quite fond memories of Marvel US around #65 and onwards. It was the first time I considered Transformers could be dark. It made #50 where a giant Starscream kills everyone look like camp Adam West. Furman wrote Transformers to be living beings each with their own personality traits and faults. Nothing after that could come close to scratching that itch. Is there a way to obtain the Marvel UK run legally?

I loved the Marvel comics too, but let's not kid ourselves: comparing them to MTMTE is like comparing your average 80's superhero comic to Watchmen. They're not even written for the same demographics.

I know everyone is a bit soured on how Lost Light couldn't possibly live up to the standards set by MTMTE, but reread the latter and it's as mindblowing and sparkling as the first time.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
And honestly Lost Light is solid fucking work. Is it as brilliant as what came before? No, but what is?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And honestly Lost Light is solid fucking work. Is it as brilliant as what came before? No, but what is?

Yeah, pretty much. Lost Light was screwed over by 1) coming after one of the best comics every written, period, Transformers or otherwise, and especially 2) being massively rushed towards the end due to the franchise-wide reboot, which meant bad thigns for:
- The plot devices that are introduced like seconds before they become relevant, feeling like "cheap worldbuilding" and runs counter to Roberts way of doing things: the Warren, the Infinites, etc. These plot points don't have time to breathe, be references several times over a stretch of time, letting them settle into the mythos, like the Knights of Cybertron or Tyrest or the DJD did. As a consequence, their impact is severely diminished and their resolution feels very inconsequential.
- The plot threads introduced during the comic that aren't even given a resolution, like the Firstborn.
- The plot points that were introduced during MTMTE and are resolved all at once, like the treebots, the worldsweeper filled with organic stuff, etc. Years-long mysteries becoming pretty much another "oh, yeah, that" and entirely forgotten when the next huge reveal comes around in the following panel.

Given enough time I think LL could have built up with something, perhaps not as amazing as MTMTE was, but certainly much closer in terms of pacing and worldbuilding. I can't imagine Roberts being too happy to compress it and abort half of the arcs like this.

Oct 25, 2017
The story of Soundwave in Robots in Disguise #22 was gripping. Ha

Seeing how the bond between Soundwave and his Micromasters/Casettes gets started was something I didn't think would be written that way.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The story of Soundwave in Robots in Disguise #22 was gripping. Ha

Seeing how the bond between Soundwave and his Micromasters/Casettes gets started was something I didn't think would be written that way.

That was indeed awesome. And I wouldn't be a proper Roberts fanboy if I didn't point out that it spins off from the "disposable class" concept he introduced. :)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I really love Siege Optimus Prime. I had him in truck mode on my desk and started fiddling with him again... and at first I couldn't remember how to get him out of truck mode (I forgot that the chest locks the top of the truck in place), but that's just a sign of how it's a complex transformation without being frustrating. He "explodes" in the way you want an Optimus to go from truck to robot, and the little details... not just the little scribbles everywhere, but the pseudo matrix that covers the chest in truck mode, the extra panels to cover up his back legs, the jetpack looking backpack, the ankle tilts that are just there for posability and not a side effect of transformation, even the dinky little panels that attempt to cover part of the gap in the back in truck mode... plus he just looks cool.

I love Megs too, but somehow he suffers from a big difference in joint tightness... his right foot and his right leg are both really loose compared to the left. Plus he commits a cardinal sin of transformation in that his weapon (the sword, I don't mind the fusion cannon) is an integral part of his transformation (and a kind of terrible one at that). And you can see through the hole in his hollow arm.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a release date on Ravage & Laserbeak? I can only find a Japan release for later in 2019.

Also does anyone have any sort of guide on G1 pricing? I feel like prices are too high for some of the times, but I also have no reference point.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a release date on Ravage & Laserbeak? I can only find a Japan release for later in 2019.

Also does anyone have any sort of guide on G1 pricing? I feel like prices are too high for some of the times, but I also have no reference point.
Hasbro Pulse has them listed as shipping April 1st, if that means anything.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon also lists that wave as April 1st. It looks like Hasbro might finally be getting its distribution act together.

Meanwhile...well, they weren't all gonna be home runs, I guess.

7Z3TBBz.jpg

7dZeI6H.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think I will have to bring out the rubbing alcohol for these guys. I normally don't bother with customizing anymore - I added silver details to many Universe figures - but on most of them the "battle damage" looks more like "a kid played with this in a muddy river".

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, do note that those are not my pics. I wouldn't want anyone to think I bought Fallout 76.

Oct 25, 2017

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Finally found and opened Siege Shockwave. It's a nice little figure, but the pricetag (50 bucks) is a little offputting, especially considering he's actually smaller than Optimus or Megatron (but comes with that battle armor). The transformation is about as simplistic as you can get.

Oct 26, 2017
My Shockwave just arrived too. Yeah, he's tiny. Not much higher than Flywheels, who is a fairly chunky modern deluxe.

After TRU finally started carrying Power of the Primes and the went out of business I've once again resigned myself to importing, and I don't even want to think about the price including shipping and taxes. Shockwave probably turned out around $80 all things considered.

Ultra Magnus is a good chunk of a bot though. I really hate the silver splotches all over him, so I'll probably try removing most of it. Shockwave is fine (most is on the addons). Flywheels seems solid. Roadhandler and Swindler are pretty simple and fairly meh overall, but nice to get them. I hope we get the offroad team eventually, those were my favourites.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up SS Bonecrusher, who is cool, but mine has two left legs and thus cannot transform. So if you find one, I guess look into the window box as best you can and make sure the wheels on his right leg aren't facing inward.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I picked up SS Bonecrusher, who is cool, but mine has two left legs and thus cannot transform. So if you find one, I guess look into the window box as best you can and make sure the wheels on his right leg aren't facing inward.

I got a two-left-legged Animated Wreck-Gar from BBTS once... and I live in Spain. However, they were gallant enough to send me a replacement, without even asking for me to return the faulty one first. Granted, at that point I was a regular, but still, really cool people there.

Anyway, return it to the store or contact the seller, hopefully you won't have any issues getting a replacement.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I returned it to the store but it was the only one they had, so I ordered one from Hasbro Pulse.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone here watched Cyberverse and want to sell me on it?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone here watched Cyberverse and want to sell me on it?
It's kinda okay. Definitely low budget, so you should go in with low expectations.

It stars Bumblebee and Windblade, on Earth (in low-budget areas, away from most population), and a number of Decepticons are hounding them (mostly recolored Seekers). There might be a bunch of Autobots around somewhere (the Ark crashed here, maybe?), and Windblade is looking for them, but Bumblebee (who had been with Optimus on the Ark) has significant brain damage (in addition to his usual broken voice box). But Windblade is a telepath, so she's helping him try to reconstruct and retrieve his memories, while the two of them try to avoid capture and find reinforcements. Which leads to a bunch of piecemeal stories about the history of Cybertron (IDW-inspired), as seen from Bumblebee's perspective.

It seems to be aimed towards a much younger audience than the usual popular Transformers incarnations, which might make it difficult for adults to swallow, but I think it occasionally drifts into "not safe for kids" territory, like when it brushes up against death and torture.

It's a mixed bag. Give it a try if you're curious. You might find it enjoyable. Or not. The episodes are short (10 minutes each) so it doesn't require a lot of commitment.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Ohohoho, scored the new wave 2 deluxes at Walmart this morning. Been able to find and bought Soundwave and Starscream earlier this past weekend too. Got me some new desk companions. Guess wave 2 is slowly trickling out over March before official release next month.

Oct 25, 2017
Impulsively bought Ultra Magnus today while in Target. Looks great but notice fit and finish isn't as good as Shockwave. Getting into trailer alt mode was eluding me because the instructions are so hard to read

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Impulsively bought Ultra Magnus today while in Target. Looks great but notice fit and finish isn't as good as Shockwave. Getting into trailer alt mode was eluding me because the instructions are so hard to read

I really, really hate modern TF instructions. Dark gray overdetailed drawings (or worse, photos) where actual part outlines meld into fucking panel lines; thank you so much Hasbro. Even from a company making decisions that have me staring in disbelief pretty much every month, this one still manages to stand out. >:(

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I don't even bother trying to read the TF instructions now-a-days, they're pretty hard to make sense of even as an adult lol.

I just watch YouTube videos and copy them. Way easier. :D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So the new Transformers comic debuted which is pretty much a relaunch/reboot.
Story begins on pre-war Cybertron, Megatron is on talking terms with Orion Pax but is leading a rally akin to his anti-ruling senate rallying and direction in the older series. Only less violent and warlike, so far at least, and they're called Asenticons, shouldn't take long to be the faction we've come to know them as :V
Also seems there's a new character that's being made as the force behind the Asenticons; Termagax. Not much about her is known outside of a quote by her at the start of the issue.

Book seems to put focus on Rubble, Bumblebee and Windblade. Rubble's the rookie and is under Bumblebee's care.
The issue ends with the trio approaching Brainstorm's lab...but Brainstorm's dead....

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So the new Transformers comic debuted
Story begins on pre-war Cybertron, Megatron is on talking terms with Orion Pax but is leading a rally akin to his anti-ruling senate rallying and direction in the older series. Only less violent and warlike, so far at least, and they're called Asenticons, shouldn't take long to be the faction we've come to know them as :V
Also seems there's a new character that's being made as the force behind the Asenticons; Termagax. Not much about her is known outside of a quote by her at the start of the issue.

Book seems to put focus on Rubble, Bumblebee and Windblade. Rubble's the rookie and is under Bumblebee's care.
The issue ends with the trio approaching Brainstorm's lab...but Brainstorm's dead....

What's the official name? Should I finish IDW continuity first?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"What a world to be alive in!" is maybe a little too on the nose, IDW.