• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I should have seen that coming. I was excited to see what Brainstorm would be like in this new continuity when they mentioned him, too.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I really, really hate modern TF instructions. Dark gray overdetailed drawings (or worse, photos) where actual part outlines meld into fucking panel lines; thank you so much Hasbro. Even from a company making decisions that have me staring in disbelief pretty much every month, this one still manages to stand out. >:(

The Siege Shockwave instructions omit any mention of how to make the hover vehicle out of spare parts... a feature they show on the box. Luckily it's not hard to figure out. Also I didn't know the little radar thingees fold out on the bridge of the spaceship mode until I did some research, they don't even mention it in the instructions (though they do show them unfolded)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So I guess there's not too much excitement about IDW's relaunch.

In my case, zero; I was already sick of TF reboots a decade ago. The reason I enjoyed the previous IDW run was a) that it more or less continued from G1, b) that it continued and enriched it in such an unexpected, new and interesting way after the war ended, and of course, c) Roberts. This is just yet another TF reboot and fuck if I'm eager to go through the Autobot / Decepticons war yet fucking again.

Who knows, if people read it and it turns out to be absolutely stellar I might give it a go. I was sick of Spiderman movie reboots and yet I loved Homecoming. For now, though, I'm done with TF comics.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I stand by my assertion that the 'Blitzwing' in Bumblebee is just a Decepticon grunt/genericon called Blitzwing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So the FansToys versions of Superion and Menasor will be able to be displayed as either their Studio Ox designs or in an alternate form accurate to the G1 cartoon episodes. This is phenomenal.

betGddL.jpg

KzQlLIg.jpg

The Stunticons look insanely good individually, as well.

Ujk6tP5.jpg

And, finally, FT steps up to do justice to the biggest MIA character in the MP collecting world.

9LJbykB.jpg

uDfoHAm.jpg

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The XTB Stunticons are very cool takes on the characters, but the FT bot scales are cartoon accurate, so they get to be the MP shelf team. I am buying the XTB Stunticons as they come out, though, because you can never have enough Stunticons.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So the FansToys versions of Superion and Menasor will be able to be displayed as either their Studio Ox designs or in an alternate form accurate to the G1 cartoon episodes. This is phenomenal.

betGddL.jpg

KzQlLIg.jpg

The Stunticons look insanely good individually, as well.

Ujk6tP5.jpg

And, finally, FT steps up to do justice to the biggest MIA character in the MP collecting world.

9LJbykB.jpg

uDfoHAm.jpg
That looks really solid. Will have to see the transformations though as a car enthusiast. Stunticons transform into some really cool cars. Not to mention the Aerialbots transforming into actual jets they're based on. Probably not too accurate though because of licensing...

I stand by my assertion that the 'Blitzwing' in Bumblebee is just a Decepticon grunt/genericon called Blitzwing.
The writers involved in that movie probably never saw or read the show/comics to learn about Blitzwing as a character. They just think it's a cool name.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
That looks really solid. Will have to see the transformations though as a car enthusiast. Stunticons transform into some really cool cars. Not to mention the Aerialbots transforming into actual jets they're based on. Probably not too accurate though because of licensing...

The vehicle modes are solid. Drag Strip even has a removable holodriver.

WooqsS2.jpg

8HwD8lL.jpg

The writers involved in that movie probably never saw or read the show/comics to learn about Blitzwing as a character. They just think it's a cool name.

He's never named in the film, so I suspect it's just Hasbro picking a name that hasn't been used in the movies before. I would have called him Ramjet, personally. Colors are close enough.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Finally opened Siege Flywheels. I didn't realize that he's compatible with PotP Battletrap. That's really cool, though Flywheels is probably my least favorite Siege deluxe in terms of transformation/playability.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
TFconLA3p-107.jpg

Most interesting thing for me shown was MMC Guzzle, but don't like that he has a short cannon, probably so they can better reuse his mold for Brawn.

To be fair, in both the cartoon and the comics G1 Blitzwing was about as generic as a Deception could get and was only known for having the best alt modes of any triple changer. He was at his most interesting in Animated.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Blitzwing actually got some character development in Five Faces of Darkness. That's more than most Decepticons in two seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo I just got to the story where
we learn about the two Lost Lights and the panel when Chromedome goes to the roof of the ship. Damn did it get dusty

Oct 25, 2017
You're one step away from the best story in all of MTMTE.

I'm getting excited because I can sense all the build. I'm just getting confused as heck by Weltall Zero reading order because they don't seem to line up with Comixology a ton:
Robots in Disguise 28-32

Windblade Vol 1 1-4

Robots in Disguise 33-34

The Transformers (formerly known as Robots in Disguise) 35-39

More than Meets the Eye 34-40

I wonder if just buying all of Phase 2 IDW collection would be easier to read through this.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting excited because I can sense all the build. I'm just getting confused as heck by Weltall Zero reading order because they don't seem to line up with Comixology a ton:

It's a little messy when you get past Dark Cybertron. My recommendation, if you're reading Phase 2 as TPB/collected volumes and not individual issues, would be this:

More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 1
Spotlight: Hoist
Spotlight: Trailcutter
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 2
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 3
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 4
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 5
Robots In Disguise Vol. 1
Robots In Disguise Vol. 2
Robots In Disguise Vol. 3
Robots In Disguise Vol. 4
Robots In Disguise Vol. 5
Dark Cybertron Vol. 1
Dark Cybertron Vol. 2
Windblade Vol. 1
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 6
Robots In Disguise Vol. 6
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 7
Combiner Wars: First Strike
Transformers: Punishment
Spotlight: Mirage
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 8
Combiner Wars
Drift - Empire of Stone
Transformers Vol. 8 (formerly RiD)
Windblade Vol 2: Distant Stars
Sins of the Wreckers
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 9
Transformers Holiday Special (MTMTE story)
Transformers: Redemption
More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 10
Transformers Vol. 10
Till All Are One Vol. 1

That gets you up to the beginning of Revolution, when things get so messy there's basically no one clean order. I think MTMTE and RiD first "seasons" (Vol 1-5) work better as big chunks, and the second seasons (6-10) work better interwoven.

I wonder if just buying all of Phase 2 IDW collection would be easier to read through this.

In the end it might be, but they're far from completely collecting Phase 2 in the big reading order hardbacks. At their current rate they will probably finish up in 2-3 years.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The IDW collections have a nasty tendency to actually skip issues sometimes and other assorted dickery; always double-check what each collection has.

My reading order attempts to simultaneously preserve in-universe chronological order (except for flashbacks) but also story arc consistency, which is a bit of a balancing act when multiple comics are both running concurrently and referencing each other. Basically I attempt to run a series for as long as it's possible before it references things in other comics that haven't happened yet, but there's a nearly infinite amount of possible reading orders and surely there must be some out there that are better than mine. Just be aware that release order, collection order or Comixology order are most certainly not going to be among these "better" orders; in particular, due to production delays, some comics were actually released non-chronologically with respect to each other.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to you both. I think what was hanging me up was how they put stuff like Windblade into a collection but still called it Windblade. Or how suddenly it starts being called The Transformers for the collected edition.

Either way I'm finding myself loving characters I never gave a damn about before.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you to you both. I think what was hanging me up was how they put stuff like Windblade into a collection but still called it Windblade. Or how suddenly it starts being called The Transformers for the collected edition.

Either way I'm finding myself loving characters I never gave a damn about before.

The Robots in Disguise -> Transformers rename is one of the shittiest, most baffling and most confusing moves on Hasbro / IDW's part in quite some time (and that's a high bar to clear!), on so many levels. I can only imagine it was done to avoid confusion with the RiD cartoon, but is there a precedent of a comic changing names mid-run but not starting from issue one? And of course, the shit cherry on top of the shit cake is that there was already a Transformers comic, years before in the same continuity. Just all around epic facepalm time. :(

Windblade isn't much better either, especially once you get into collections. At the very least they called what would be Windblade Vol. 3 "Till All Are One" so it's somewhat less confusing. But imagine anyone reading just Windblade and missing a chunk of the story between Vol 1 and Vol 2.

Of course, all of this still pales in comparison to the massive shit storm that is the Hasbro crossovers / Revolution / Visionaries / GI Joe / Action Man / Micronauts / ROM / everyone and their dog. :S

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, I basically dropped the book when they went back to Earth, presumably just to cross over with other toylines. Like I realize the point is to sell toys but you don't have to make it that obvious (and there weren't even any cool toys coming out, they were just like reimagining of old toylines).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've been talking about this with Redcrayon over email but I figured some of you guys might be interested too. Sorry if this reads a bit ranty / all over the place, as it's my part of an email conversation stitched together. :D

So, I was gifted the starting deck of the Transformers collectible card game (by Wizards of the Coast, of Magic the Gathering fame), and I'm very pleasantly surprised on many accounts. First of all because the game is actually really fun and extremelly well thought of, which is no small feat considering how different it is to, at least, most of the CCG's I've played (I wrote that as CCG games for a second, hahah). I know there's other CCGs where you don't play creatures but I had never played one; I expected it to make the game and cards somewhat boring, but it's the opposite, you care so much more for your team and their abilities. On top of that, transforming is a really, really well thought core mechanic, and so is combining if you make a combiner deck. All around fantastic game design choices.

One detail that very pleasantly surprised is that the action / equipment (i.e. all non-character) cards all have art from the IDW Transformers comics, including MTMTE! This includes spoilers like having one of them prominently featuring Megatron with an Autobot logo, hahah! Really lovely way to revisit these memories. :)

The game itself is really simple rules-wise (probably simpler than even Magic). Transforming is neatly integrated in that you can transform one, and only one, of your characters each turn, but it's its own action (you don't give up anything to transform a character), and many TFs have abilities that activate on transform, so you're encouraged to do so even beyond the strategic use of different stats or passive effects of each form.

Combiners thread the needle between combining being a momentous occasion but also something you can expect to happen every game, as you start the game with all five components on the table, and only need to drawn and play the Enigma card to combine them. This is in turn made even easier since a) there's no resources and cards have no cost to play at all beyond the fact you can only play one action and one upgrade per turn, and b) a mechanic that allows you to get some specific cards into your hand easier, and the Enigma is one. On top of that, having more Enigmas in your deck isn't wasted because each has an alternate effect when your team is already combined. Finally, combining is made even easier because you can do so even if several of the team members are dead; it "brings them back to life". But to balance this, the combined form inherits all the damage on each component. :)

How they physically combine is equally cool, in fact. Each combiner component is on a special folded card that, when folded, has the bot form on one side and the alt form on the other, like normal. However, to combine, you open the folded card, and the inner side is the corresponding part of the combined form's whole. You can see it here around the 10 minute mark:
https://youtu.be/SiHkETVt4HQ?t=610
Incidentally, triple changers work the same, only for them the bot form is the "inner" image, and each of the vehicle forms are the smaller "outer" images.

A very nice thing on WotC's part is that all of the components in a combiner team, plus their Enigma (the action card that lets them combine) are the same rarity. They didn't the obvious (and obviously evil) thing of making one component rarer than the others so that you always end up with half-complete combiners that you have to pay disproportionally higher to complete. There's combiner teams that are rarer than the others, and yeah, the combining Dinobots will cost you a pretty penny, but all of their components are the same, higher rarity. It's unusual and refreshing to see something like this considering the cutthroat and consumer-abusive corporate world of today.

It's a shame this comes at a time where I'm kind of broke, since CCGs are such notorious money pits, but if they ever make a digital version of this game, I'd be all over it. :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFconLA3p-107.jpg

Most interesting thing for me shown was MMC Guzzle, but don't like that he has a short cannon, probably so they can better reuse his mold for Brawn.

To be fair, in both the cartoon and the comics G1 Blitzwing was about as generic as a Deception could get and was only known for having the best alt modes of any triple changer. He was at his most interesting in Animated.

What toyline is this from? I really like the angular design.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The TF card game looks really cool to me!

I've always had a soft spot for Guzzle- I had the 'sparkler mini-bot' toy as a kid.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The TF CCG is fun but my main issue with it is how stingy it is with the chase cards. Getting a complete set together requires either shelling out serious cash on the secondary market or buying 5-7 boxes and getting really lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to find Ravage & Laserbeak Siege but didn't realize they've been sold out forever. Paying double, some triple, the price feels a little extreme. Hoping Hasbro Pulse throws them back up there.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The Studio Series factory errors keep on coming. The Jetfire I got from Pulse has no left stabilizer fin piece. Since Pulse's return service is slow as hell I ordered another from Amazon and will just refund the Pulse one.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transformers #2 was better than the first, though I'm getting the distinct impression that this is being written for the trade.

Rubble is a cute.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is absolutely insane value. Anyone wants to make an estimation how many issues this is?

I think it's missing Windblade

Regardless I'll nab it for $15.

Windblade is in too, both volumes in fact. From the wiki:
  • Transformers Windblade: The Last City (February 14, 2018) ISBN 1684052246 / ISBN 978-1684052240
  • Contains all 11 issues from both volumes of Windblade... but not the alternating chapters of Combiner Wars from The Transformers needed to complete the story.
Since the bundle also contains Combiner Wars, you're good to go, as long as you follow Keldroc's reading order or mine.

I'm considering getting this for Unicron and Requiem of the Wreckers, I think that's about all I'm missing.

Also, unless I'm not wrong this isn't literally the entire IDW run, but the post-war part of it (2012-present), plus the best parts of the earlier run like Last Stand of the Wreckers. Still an absolutely insane amount of comic and not just the best TF fiction ever written, but some of the best sci-fi of all time, period.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure on issue count but it would cost well over $600 to buy them all normally from Comixology.

Oct 25, 2017
Ive already dropped like $100 via Comixology in filling in gaps with their missing unlimited stuff. So I think between all three IDW buys I've done on Humble i'm 100% covered now. Gunna sort through them tonight and go with Weltall Zero seasoning order and then plop them some place.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm not sure on issue count but it would cost well over $600 to buy them all normally from Comixology.

That's, what, 97% off in this bundle? Pretty insane even for humble bundle standards and even for IDW bundles which are already crazier than most. :D

I ended up getting it pretty much to have them in one place, since I have them all messily distributed between previous bundles and Comixology, and also to fill in some gaps.