• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, two great hauls in two days!

The box for Reflector is tiny.

go8s8SJ_d.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That Ratchet looks cool!

Wait, it's a Walgreens exclusive? Darnit. All the Walgreens around here never get anything.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Ratchet looks good mold-wise but I really don't like the way the blindingly white deco and the head look. Just make a Ratchet with red head and white crest already, Hasbro!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Ironhide Siege mold personally, but compared to any non-MP or 3rd party mold of that character, it's great. :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I really want that Ratchet, it's probably the only major character I don't have a decent CHUG version of. Of course we don't even see regular Siege figures here in Spain, so...

Ratchet looks good mold-wise but I really don't like the way the blindingly white deco and the head look. Just make a Ratchet with red head and white crest already, Hasbro!

Nothing a lil' paint can't solve :). I had the same issue with CW's Ironhide, and man did it improve with some paint.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I really want that Ratchet, it's probably the only major character I don't have a decent CHUG version of. Of course we don't even see regular Siege figures here in Spain, so...

Nothing a lil' paint can't solve :). I had the same issue with CW's Ironhide, and man did it improve with some paint.
I've never painted a figure before. Maybe I should start.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've never painted a figure before. Maybe I should start.

It's super fun, so relaxing and satisfying. Of course, it takes a bit of practice to get good, so probably don't dive on your $300 masterpiece as your first experiment. :)

It's been ages since I painted, pretty much since I started indie game development... these things are not coincidental. :P

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up caving and getting the Siege Jetfire. Man what an awesome toy. I'm really floored by the add-on's and build quality. It's a lot of toy for the $100 I paid. It's a really solid figure, and even my wife (who admits to being completely lost with Transformers when my son and I play) is impressed by it.

On an entirely different note, I need your help with something guys...

I'm looking to get into the comics, and I want some recommendations for some of the all-time great collected arcs/trades and such.

I want a recommendation for one of the most heralded classics, but also some great recent/modern ones where both the story and art-style really shine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I ended up caving and getting the Siege Jetfire. Man what an awesome toy. I'm really floored by the add-on's and build quality. It's a lot of toy for the $100 I paid. It's a really solid figure, and even my wife (who admits to being completely lost with Transformers when my son and I play) is impressed by it.

I'm looking to get into the comics, and I want some recommendations for some of the all-time great collected arcs/trades and such.

I want a recommendation for one of the most heralded classics, but also some great recent/modern ones where both the story and art-style really shine.

We're in the Transformers thread so assuming you're talking about that, I'd think the recommendation is going to be IDW all the way. You can either start at the beginning with the first IDW collection or start at the Last Stand of the Wreckers and see if you like it (I think that's IDW Collection 6), or even start when they split the series into More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise (which I think is the IDW Collection Phase 2 volumes)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

The Phase 2 IDW stuff is really the only TF comic material worth reading at this point. More Than Meets The Eye is the star of the show but there's a lot of good stuff all around. Here's what I'd recommend as a basic entry reading order:

Recommended Prior Reading:
Chaos Theory (Transformers (2009-2011) #22-23)
Last Stand of the Wreckers
Spotlight: Kup

Ongoing Series:
More than Meets the Eye Vol 1
Robots in Disguise Vol 1
MtMtE Vol 2
RiD Vol 2
MtMtE Vol 3
RiD Vol 3
MtMtE Vol 4
RiD Vol 4
MtMtE Vol 5
RiD Vol 5
Dark Prelude
Dark Cybertron Volume 1
Dark Cybertron Volume 2
RiD Vol 6
MtMtE Vol 6
Windblade
MtMtE Vol. 7
The Transformers (previously RiD) Vol. 7
Combiner Wars
MtMtE Vol 8
The Transformers Vol 8
Drift: Empire of Stone
Distant Stars
MtMtE Vol 9
The Transformers Vol 9
Sins of the Wreckers
MtMtE Vol 10
The Transformers Vol 10

Beyond that point you get into Revolution and the Hasbro IDW universe stuff and all the order gets much harder to handle in big chunks. This is a pretty solid issue-by-issue reading order for the entire IDW TF run, should you want to get really down and dirty.

IDW TF Reading Order

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
My Decepticon haul from this past week has really boosted my ranks! They're all tremendous figures.

9VjBEsk.jpg

LDv3t6d.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My Refraktor showed up today. It's by far the easiest one to transform but I'll keep it in camera mode full time
That's because it only transforms into either 1/3 or a camera (by becoming a block) or into a rectangle with accessories attached to it.

I said it a while ago in this thread when I first got it, but while it's a cool concept to sell it like this, if you take a step back and you realize you spent more than 60 bucks on this thing... ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it only transforms into either 1/3 or a camera (by becoming a block) or into a rectangle with accessories attached to it.

I said it a while ago in this thread when I first got it, but while it's a cool concept to sell it like this, if you take a step back and you realize you spent more than 60 bucks on this thing... ugh.

Yeah that's a good way to look at it. I paid more for the novelty of the unit than the actual figures.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
The reconnaissance set is pretty sweet though. The extra parts really make all the difference.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got my set in. For science:

BtfNTqX_d.jpg

I've also got my hands on MP44 too, and am happy to report I'm not having any of the widely reported issues with him. He looks much better in person than I expected.

A couple of tricky spots like MP36 but I'd say much easier to deal with overall, at least going from truck to bot.

Last edited:

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, looks like a third-party (Zeta Toys) wants some of that Unicron pie.
69542287_694303517700820_5051679068278226944_n-jpg.28383053

Size is apparently comparable to Hasbro's. Would be interesting if this ended up being cheaper.

Edit: it's actually way smaller I blame the Imperial system for my mistake

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Zeta's looks great but that's way too small for MP or CHUG. Unicron can't be smaller than the citybots and combiners. Hasbro keeps my money for now.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Haha, looks like a third-party (Zeta Toys) wants some of that Unicron pie.
69542287_694303517700820_5051679068278226944_n-jpg.28383053

Size is apparently comparable to Hasbro's. Would be interesting if this ended up being cheaper.

Edit: it's actually way smaller I blame the Imperial system for my mistake

I actually don't think this looks all that great? Maybe it's just the wings, which look like loose strings.

I'll stick with the WFC Hasbro Unicron for now.

Oct 26, 2017

Everything from MtMtE is great, so I'd just get the entire run. I'm collecting the IDW Collections so that I don't have to hunt down specific trades, but they're way behind the release schedule (just recently got into Combiner Wars). Before that, there's a bunch of fairly substandard stuff. The stories that are absolutely essential are Megatron Origin and Last Stand of the Wreckers, Megatron especially since it influences a TON of later stories.

While the present day adventures of MtMtE are great, I think the deep dives into TF history are equally amazing, when they're drawn by a good artist. Shadowplay is another fantastic story, but it's not as stand-alone as the others. A lot of stories like Monstrosity and Autocracy would have been interesting if if wasn't for Livio Ramondelli's art which is.... urgh.

Robots in Disguise is very uneven, tends to have some super uneven art, is heavily tied to whatever toys they were selling at the time, and is generally the same old guys doing the same old shit over and over. Starscream is being treacherous, Prowl is being a dick, Arcee is being a psycho for no apparent reason, Soundwave is being Soundwave, oh joy. The only good character in that story, once she appears, is Windblade, and she's miserable being the only good character around.

In contrast, MtMtE has THE. BEST. TF. CHARACTERS. EVER! I can't believe how well crafted they all are. Chromedome is turning into my favourite TF, there's just so much to him (like, more than meets the eye...) and it's crazy how much expressiveness Milne and others give to a guy with a visor and a mouthplate. I feel that he and Tailgate are the main characters. The story even makes total randoms and even new creations like Mainframe and Jackpot and Atomizer into people. I only don't care for Rodimus and Drift.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything from MtMtE is great, so I'd just get the entire run. I'm collecting the IDW Collections so that I don't have to hunt down specific trades, but they're way behind the release schedule (just recently got into Combiner Wars). Before that, there's a bunch of fairly substandard stuff. The stories that are absolutely essential are Megatron Origin and Last Stand of the Wreckers, Megatron especially since it influences a TON of later stories.

While the present day adventures of MtMtE are great, I think the deep dives into TF history are equally amazing, when they're drawn by a good artist. Shadowplay is another fantastic story, but it's not as stand-alone as the others. A lot of stories like Monstrosity and Autocracy would have been interesting if if wasn't for Livio Ramondelli's art which is.... urgh.

Robots in Disguise is very uneven, tends to have some super uneven art, is heavily tied to whatever toys they were selling at the time, and is generally the same old guys doing the same old shit over and over. Starscream is being treacherous, Prowl is being a dick, Arcee is being a psycho for no apparent reason, Soundwave is being Soundwave, oh joy. The only good character in that story, once she appears, is Windblade, and she's miserable being the only good character around.

In contrast, MtMtE has THE. BEST. TF. CHARACTERS. EVER! I can't believe how well crafted they all are. Chromedome is turning into my favourite TF, there's just so much to him (like, more than meets the eye...) and it's crazy how much expressiveness Milne and others give to a guy with a visor and a mouthplate. I feel that he and Tailgate are the main characters. The story even makes total randoms and even new creations like Mainframe and Jackpot and Atomizer into people. I only don't care for Rodimus and Drift.

Agree with this super hard, MTMTE made me love Chromedome, Rewind, Magnus, Swerve and really all of them. I think RiD has some good moments especially around Windblade but by the end it's really long in the tooth.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
While RiD is not on the level of MTMTE, I don't agree that it's as by rote as MikeProtagonist paints it. Until the Revolution crossover it's a decent series of political thrillers and wheels-within-wheels schemes, and one of the very few examples of Soundwave being taken beyond his base personality depiction. In fact I completely disagree that the characters behave predictably as themselves for much of it, there are several good swerves. Just nothing as good as Swerve.

However, after the Revolution crossover, when it becomes Optimus Prime, it really drags. In fact I'd argue that after Revolution starts, MTMTE/Lost Light is the only book worth sticking with.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
While RiD is not on the level of MTMTE, I don't agree that it's as by rote as MikeProtagonist paints it. Until the Revolution crossover it's a decent series of political thrillers and wheels-within-wheels schemes, and one of the very few examples of Soundwave being taken beyond his base personality depiction. In fact I completely disagree that the characters behave predictably as themselves for much of it, there are several good swerves. Just nothing as good as Swerve.

However, after the Revolution crossover, when it becomes Optimus Prime, it really drags. In fact I'd argue that after Revolution starts, MTMTE/Lost Light is the only book worth sticking with.

Pretty much my opinion as well. MTMTE is consistently amazing and Lost Light is at least great. RiD starts out actually pretty good (Dark Cybertron nosedive aside, but that also affects MTMTE), but then significantly worsens once the interesting parts (Windblade / Starscream / Cybertronian politics) are spun off to their own titles. This leaves the uninteresting squishy crossover fleshlings to carry a lot of the weight, something it leans even further into over time, becoming a lumbering, aimless zombie state by the time it makes the switch into Optimus Prime.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the political theater and quite like the tension up until the Titans battle. After that is when it began to become a chore for me. It turned into a sort of noir thing that just didn't work too well because it was trying to weave too much for me. Then the stuff in theIS with Blackrock just felt more GIJoe than anything

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I didn't mind the political theater and quite like the tension up until the Titans battle. After that is when it began to become a chore for me. It turned into a sort of noir thing that just didn't work too well because it was trying to weave too much for me. Then the stuff in theIS with Blackrock just felt more GIJoe than anything

Yeah, I think my post wasn't clear that I actually loved the politics and it was when they were split off elsewhere that the comic became hollow (in my opinion). I've rewritten it somewhat.

Oct 25, 2017
I also found RiD confusing at times with how it kept weaving the perspectives and stories. It would just feel a bit dis jointed

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Also Zeta has pulled down all its stuff on its Unicron. Rumors vary from Hasbro getting legal with them to them redoing it to be bigger. Hopefully it's the latter.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Also Zeta has pulled down all its stuff on its Unicron. Rumors vary from Hasbro getting legal with them to them redoing it to be bigger. Hopefully it's the latter.

It would be one of the few times where it seems the 3P and HasTak version of a character are in full direct competition with each other so it makes sense, especially since the HasTak version is crowd funded.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It would be one of the few times where it seems the 3P and HasTak version of a character are in full direct competition with each other so it makes sense, especially since the HasTak version is crowd funded.

Yup, the hands-off approach Hasbro takes only applies as long as the 3ps aren't getting in their way. Zeta flew too close to the sun on this one.