• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Earthrise Optimus Prime looks pretty great.

transformers-war-for-cybertron-earth-rise-figures_p5fq.640.png

1569954274-eart-rising-13.png

Hasbro-Transformers-War-For-Cybertron-Earthrise-NYCC-Reveal-Leader-Optimus-Prime-Trailer-Promo-Featured.jpg

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Prime looks amazing (I love the yellow eyes). He'll probably be the definitive Generations-scale Prime for a while but he'll be $70 bucks here in Canada and I already have a G1 Prime with MPP-10.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They're running out of recognizable characters to make, hahah. The only one I recognize aside from Prime is Grapple (which also looks quite nice).

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Nothing I'm interested in/need really with that new lot, that's fine, saves me some funds. Prime looks cool but I don't need another one, just like I don't need another Starscream. But they'll keep doing them.

One day they'll show off Snapdragon and Scorponok and I'll be excited. :D And I'd like a new/decent Cyclonus still too... but it would make more sense to see him in the 3rd series with Unicron etc/not in the series called Earthrise I guess, so seems I'll be waiting some more.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Grapple is indeed nice, Prime I don't see myself getting (as I will ultimately have 2x Siege Prime which I love) but I won't complain if my son asks for him for a present. Looks like they fixed the annoying front wheels at least. Hope we see signs of Scorps or Snapdragon at NYCC.

Walmart shipped my Siege Bluestreak and Pulse shipped my Omega, lots of TF toy stuff going on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They obviously know what they're doing. As much as I love Siege Optimus, if they had come out with this one first, I doubt I would have bought it.

Ah, who am I kidding, I still would have bought both, but I would have hesitated an extra few seconds.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Not really feeling the new line. Seems like a step down from Siege. Wheeljack's robot mode is kind of a mess, Grapple's alt mode is too small, Prime's crappy trailer will be a 30$ CAD useless add-on to justify the leader price tag.

I'm interested in Starscream's jet mode, there's that. Cliffjumper looks neat too, but again, I don't need skis or a bazooka.

I have no interest in the micro masters, so the base building is something I'm totally going to ignore.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh you guys weren't joking, another starscream. Guess I'll pass on the Target rainbow three pack, then, because we can expect all the jets another time.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Weird that Starscream is just the one from Classics upscaled to Voyager. The articulation seems a lot more limited than the Siege mold but I guess that's what happens when you have to actually do a real jet mode. I was going to wait for this but I think I'll get Red Wing instead if he ever becomes available in Canada.

It's cool that Cliffjumper gets his own mold for once. Don't see Bumblebee being an easy retool with his car mode.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I guess Lockdown is known for working with Decepticons and he's always had Decepticon logos in his toys, but technically he's a free agent.

This also creates potentially interesting interplay between factions. There was no benefit to mixing factions in a deck before (although for the most part there was no harsh penalty either), which of course made thematic sense.

Crazy how iconic the original insignias are that any attempt to create new ones are inevitably... Not great.

Was thinking the exact same. Literally zero of the non-original sigils are appealing at all. The only ones that look nice are very slight retools of the originals, like WFC Grimlock's' "Autobot logo with teeth".

Edit:I'm just now realizing the new sigil is probably inspired by Gurren Lagann's (skull with Kamina glasses):

Ymd1tIL.jpg

images

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just annoyed that reverence to shitty animation infects not just MP figures now. Hoist looks silly with a black head and Grapple looks silly with an orange one.

Nov 1, 2017
The new stuff coming out looks darn good and largely fixes the main problem I had with the recent toys, ie: the gaps in arms/ legs and even weapons. I hated that hollow stuff.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who has the cash to spare to get two (lol) could probably pay for both by reselling the second one at release, judging by the ludicrous prices the Sail Barge commanded when it came out. Of course, that does mean having $1220 handy to put in hock for 2 years.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who has the cash to spare to get two (lol) could probably pay for both by reselling the second one at release, judging by the ludicrous prices the Sail Barge commanded when it came out. Of course, that does mean having $1220 handy to put in hock for 2 years.

That's the main thing against this. Aside from only shipping to the US and Japan, you have to pay two years on advance.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I believe in the comments someone said the guy who designed it left the company before this was produced, went to another company (Papatoys?) and basically used a similar design for them.

But this one looks better than that one.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you wanted Omega Supreme but don't need him right away, Amazon has a 25 dollar clippable coupon on him right now. The only caveat is they don't know when they'll get them in stock. My standing order was delayed anyway so I figured I'd cancel and reorder and save a few bucks.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that Soundwave and his cassettes are exclusive to Walmart. It is never in stock online and I do not live close to a Walmart. At least make these things readily available if making them exclusive. Fuck.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Anyone have the MAS-02 Megatron Mega Action Figure, I see hes on sale for $130 on BBTS and thats really tempting lol

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really hate that Soundwave and his cassettes are exclusive to Walmart. It is never in stock online and I do not live close to a Walmart. At least make these things readily available if making them exclusive. Fuck.

Same. I had all my friends who live in other cities keep an eye out for me. One of them eventually found me one, and Soundwave never did come to my local stores.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I had all my friends who live in other cities keep an eye out for me. One of them eventually found me one, and Soundwave never did come to my local stores.

I may be able to find you one where I live,would be cost plus shipping,lemme know.

For the hell of it I checked my saved Walmart link right after Maligna's post and was shocked to see it in stock. I finally have one coming to me. Thanks for the offer Lockness Mobster.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanted Omega Supreme but don't need him right away, Amazon has a 25 dollar clippable coupon on him right now. The only caveat is they don't know when they'll get them in stock. My standing order was delayed anyway so I figured I'd cancel and reorder and save a few bucks.

Yeah I did the same exact thing, cancelled my original order that seemed delayed and added the coupon.

I hope they get more Omegas sooner rather than later.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I know he is one of my Holy Grails from childhood. I'm sure he is for many.
Yep! I have always wanted Soundwave since I was a kid but could never ever actually get a hold of him even with the reissues over the years that seemingly instantly got gobbled up and put on EBay. I finally have him...now to try and get his tapes.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any Rodimus toys based off of MTMTE?
There's MMC Calidus and SXS Hot Flame. Hot Flame is pretty cheap now (I think they're being cleared out) so I got one a little while ago. The transformation is really fiddly, the alt mode is meh, his joints squeak like hell, and his hands can barely hold his weapons, but as a MTMTE Rodimus nothing else looks more like it jumped off the page.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's MMC Calidus and SXS Hot Flame. Hot Flame is pretty cheap now (I think they're being cleared out) so I got one a little while ago. The transformation is really fiddly, the alt mode is meh, his joints squeak like hell, and his hands can barely hold his weapons, but as a MTMTE Rodimus nothing else looks more like it jumped off the page.

Nothing official?

Oct 27, 2017
For the hell of it I checked my saved Walmart link right after Maligna's post and was shocked to see it in stock. I finally have one coming to me. Thanks for the offer Lockness Mobster.

Sweet thats good news. Having never owned him as a kid personally and now owning a brand new in box one, it was an awesome feeling getting him. Such a good nostalgic feel.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm re-reading the IDW comics from the start again, and two things struck me (2006 spoilers here):

Wow, this comic had great artists! Milne and Matere were great on Megatron Origins and E.J. Su killed it with the super-detailed but crisp designs in Infiltration and Escalation. Don Figueroa was also fantastic on Stormbringer. I haven't gotten to the ongoing yet but I remember being so disappointed when he switched to a movie-like style. Nick Roche also did pretty well on Shockwave but he needed a bit more time to refine the style. The only real downer was the artist on Spotlight: Nightbeat. I didn't know IDW took MS Paint drawings in 800x600.

The other thing was that they weren't afraid to use a wide range of characters, especially in Stormbringer. Looking back, it's kind of cool to see guys like Whirl and Scoop so early, even if they really didn't have their personalities yet. What's also fascinating is how expendable a bunch of them are. Sure, they're D listers but Stormbringer seemingly killed off like the entire Decepticon Pretender squad and possibly a couple on Nebulos. I know Crankcase turned up again so the others could have made it too, but Iguanus died on screen. I guess the Autobots could have taken the others into custody.

It's maybe one glaring issue with the comics overall to this day: everyone has plot armor until they don't. Starscream gets his torso hollowed out - he's eventually fine. Skywarp also, in plane mode - he's back the next issue. Blitzwing turns into a smoking wreck, I'm pretty sure he returned from that. The Technobots are supposedly dismantled for parts but nah, they're fine. Iguanus gets his arm torn off and dies a sad little death. It makes it very hard to tell if something was a dramatic death or just a flesh wound.

However, it's fascinating how the story made it so far with relatively few retcons, and how they set up a ton of stuff very early, like the Dead Universe stuff and Shockwave's plans, which would take years to play out. I also love how they focus on stealth in the beginning and all the technology like the holomatter avatars. Infiltration would make for a great live action movie. Verity is also the best human POV character, I love how Su draws her. He clearly spent much more time on her than anyone else.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a werckers fan, but it really sucks that the better Decepticon Impactor is part of that shitty 3-pack. That thing is 100$ in Canada.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a werckers fan, but it really sucks that the better Decepticon Impactor is part of that shitty 3-pack. That thing is 100$ in Canada.
Some Amazon.ca exclusive stuff has had weird sales where they keep dropping in price so maybe that'll happen with these. That's how I got POTP Nemesis Prime for like $40 Canadian. Wish I had gotten Repugnus and Blast Off when they were around $10.