• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Some Amazon.ca exclusive stuff has had weird sales where they keep dropping in price so maybe that'll happen with these. That's how I got POTP Nemesis Prime for like $40 Canadian. Wish I had gotten Repugnus and Blast Off when they were around $10.

That's what I'm hoping.

I was silly and ordered Nemesis day one, i kind of regret that. But I did get Repugnus for 20 and blast off for 24.

I feel that at 60 or 70 bucks I might bite. I don't want to go through the hassle of finding local fans to buy the set with. :/

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm re-reading the IDW comics from the start again, and two things struck me (2006 spoilers here):

Wow, this comic had great artists! Milne and Matere were great on Megatron Origins and E.J. Su killed it with the super-detailed but crisp designs in Infiltration and Escalation. Don Figueroa was also fantastic on Stormbringer. I haven't gotten to the ongoing yet but I remember being so disappointed when he switched to a movie-like style. Nick Roche also did pretty well on Shockwave but he needed a bit more time to refine the style. The only real downer was the artist on Spotlight: Nightbeat. I didn't know IDW took MS Paint drawings in 800x600.

The other thing was that they weren't afraid to use a wide range of characters, especially in Stormbringer. Looking back, it's kind of cool to see guys like Whirl and Scoop so early, even if they really didn't have their personalities yet. What's also fascinating is how expendable a bunch of them are. Sure, they're D listers but Stormbringer seemingly killed off like the entire Decepticon Pretender squad and possibly a couple on Nebulos. I know Crankcase turned up again so the others could have made it too, but Iguanus died on screen. I guess the Autobots could have taken the others into custody.

It's maybe one glaring issue with the comics overall to this day: everyone has plot armor until they don't. Starscream gets his torso hollowed out - he's eventually fine. Skywarp also, in plane mode - he's back the next issue. Blitzwing turns into a smoking wreck, I'm pretty sure he returned from that. The Technobots are supposedly dismantled for parts but nah, they're fine. Iguanus gets his arm torn off and dies a sad little death. It makes it very hard to tell if something was a dramatic death or just a flesh wound.

However, it's fascinating how the story made it so far with relatively few retcons, and how they set up a ton of stuff very early, like the Dead Universe stuff and Shockwave's plans, which would take years to play out. I also love how they focus on stealth in the beginning and all the technology like the holomatter avatars. Infiltration would make for a great live action movie. Verity is also the best human POV character, I love how Su draws her. He clearly spent much more time on her than anyone else.

I would wade into this whole series if there weren't so much to go through.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would wade into this whole series if there weren't so much to go through.

If you have read none of it, just go straight into MTMTE. It's its own thing and by far the best, in fact it may be the best comic I've ever read, or close second after Watchmen.

(I originally parsed it as you having read MTMTE but not feeling like reading the earlier comics, which is pretty much where I am).

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Luckily here in the UK we have the Hatchette Comic collection which is collecting every single TF comic from the Marvel G1 to the recently ended IDW Series. Cant say Hatchette are very good but its nice to have everything collected and put in its right order! By Furman none the less

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Luckily here in the UK we have the Hatchette Comic collection which is collecting every single TF comic from the Marvel G1 to the recently ended IDW Series. Cant say Hatchette are very good but its nice to have everything collected and put in its right order! By Furman none the less

But the MTMTE stuff isn't related to the Marvel version at all, so I'm not sure how reading order matters there?

IDW did publish a Furman-written continuation called Regeneration One or something like that but IMHO it went off the rails in the middle of it. Are you sure that's not what's been printed in order?

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
But the MTMTE stuff isn't related to the Marvel version at all, so I'm not sure how reading order matters there?

IDW did publish a Furman-written continuation called Regeneration One or something like that but IMHO it went off the rails in the middle of it. Are you sure that's not what's been printed in order?

All of the different series are collected in their respective reading orders

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Getting the IDW comics in reading order is not trivial at all. There's a reason people who get the Humble Bundle regularly ask for help about it and why several of us have posted our preferred reading orders (which often don't even exactly match due to concurrent events).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Getting the IDW comics in reading order is not trivial at all. There's a reason people who get the Humble Bundle regularly ask for help about it and why several of us have posted our preferred reading orders (which often don't even exactly match due to concurrent events).

Oh I realize that, it's just that he said they were reprinting the marvel stuff which has no connection to the IDW non Furman stuff so I was a little confused. I mean we don't even know if the reading order the UK publisher publishes will be the right one. :)

Oct 25, 2017
The more i see of Omega Supreme set up the more I'm not digging the look. It just looks really blocky and the face is bugging me out.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The more i see of Omega Supreme set up the more I'm not digging the look. It just looks really blocky and the face is bugging me out.
I've seen pictures of someones where they opened the head and painted the face to be a more cartoon accurate look, and it is miles better. Shame that opening the head is somewhat destructive (glue for some reason).

Other than that, my only complaints about him are the roadways and the rocket panels on mine not lining up perfectly, and no forward/back motion on the ankles. That and the prototype hips looked miles better. Still pretty neat though, and better than metro or fort max for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen pictures of someones where they opened the head and painted the face to be a more cartoon accurate look, and it is miles better. Shame that opening the head is somewhat destructive (glue for some reason).

Other than that, my only complaints about him are the roadways and the rocket panels on mine not lining up perfectly, and no forward/back motion on the ankles. That and the prototype hips looked miles better. Still pretty neat though, and better than metro or fort max for sure.

Yeah the hips are what kill it for me with the blocky design.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My main complaint about Omega Supreme is that he's still backordered on Amazon with no date for a restock. At this point I'm suspicious that they put that 25 dollar coupon up so they can just cancel reorders. ;)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The game is a lootbox bullshit nightmare but I'm not gonna lie, the end of this trailer made me smile. Watch with sound.

It starts at 17:55 if the timestamp doesn't work right.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The game is a lootbox bullshit nightmare but I'm not gonna lie, the end of this trailer made me smile. Watch with sound.

It starts at 17:55 if the timestamp doesn't work right.

I'm glad I have zero nostalgia for G.I.Joe so that I don't feel sad that their inclusion is wasted on the boring-as-fuck Clash of Clans clone.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
My main complaint about Omega Supreme is that he's still backordered on Amazon with no date for a restock. At this point I'm suspicious that they put that 25 dollar coupon up so they can just cancel reorders. ;)

Hang in there they are processing orders for him. My omega with $25 off coupon ordered 10/6 is arriving today.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
For any Canadians the Amazon Fan Vote pack (Impactor with the good head, translucent Mirage, Powerdasher Aragon) is on flash sale. Ends up being a bit more than two deluxes.

Phantomstrike pack (Skywarp + 3 Battle Masters) is also on sale.

Ended up picking up the Fan Vote pack mostly for Impactor. Was waiting for Red Wing to be available in Canada, but now Skywarp is tempting me considering he comes with a few more guys for not that much more than what Red Wing will presumably cost.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Went out looking for Sideswipe yesterday for my friend's kid for Xmas. (Can't believe I was actually hoping to find wave 1 figures...)

Ended up finding Mirage for myself. Sweet.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Went out looking for Sideswipe yesterday for my friend's kid for Xmas. (Can't believe I was actually hoping to find wave 1 figures...)

Ended up finding Mirage for myself. Sweet.

Are you in the US? I'm not sure how much shipping is but you can get him from BBTS for 16.99, or all four wave 1s for 60 bucks.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Fanstoys going in on citybots.

nRD2MxS.png

If that Hoodlum scale is correct he's about 45 inches tall.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be way taller than a toddler, I can't even imagine what this is going to cost let alone how much it'll cost to ship.

It'll be in pieces. Probably four at $200 each. And then the head is a separate piece the size of FT's other Headmasters (Weirdwolf, Mindwipe). So you're probably looking at $900-1000 total.

Which, amusingly enough, is what a G1 Fort Max complete in box used to go for back before Takara did the Encore reissue.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading through the IDW Transformers comics and have fallen for a lot of that cast over the past few weeks and I'm kinda thinking of grabbing some figures of the Lost Light crew. I haven't really bought a Transformer in years so where would be a good place to look? I'd love a Chromedome and Rewind (that Chromedome above looks fantastic) but Swerve and Tailgate are my list too. Any recommends on where I can look for them?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading through the IDW Transformers comics and have fallen for a lot of that cast over the past few weeks and I'm kinda thinking of grabbing some figures of the Lost Light crew. I haven't really bought a Transformer in years so where would be a good place to look? I'd love a Chromedome and Rewind (that Chromedome above looks fantastic) but Swerve and Tailgate are my list too. Any recommends on where I can look for them?

At this point eBay is probably your best bet for Swerve and Tailgate. A couple of decent versions were done several years back in the Generations line, along with Rewind in the Titans Return line. There's also a Leader class Ultra Magnus with an IDW design in the Combiner Wars line. As for the others, Titans Return Chromedome and Brainstorm are pretty close to the IDW designs, and there's a Voyager Brainstorm from the older Generations line that's even closer, but obviously he's much bigger if scale is a problem. A Voyager Whirl was also made around the same time. Mastermind Creations (MMC), the company that is making the Chromedome shown above, has a number of other Lost Light style figures, including the DJD, Rodimus, Drift, Whirl, Megatron, and Cyclonus.

Sadly no decent figure of Rung has been made yet.

You can see everyone I mentioned (minus the DJD) here:

welAR1v.jpg

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point eBay is probably your best bet for Swerve and Tailgate. A couple of decent versions were done several years back in the Generations line, along with Rewind in the Titans Return line. There's also a Leader class Ultra Magnus with an IDW design in the Combiner Wars line. As for the others, Titans Return Chromedome and Brainstorm are pretty close to the IDW designs, and there's a Voyager Brainstorm from the older Generations line that's even closer, but obviously he's much bigger if scale is a problem. A Voyager Whirl was also made around the same time. Mastermind Creations (MMC), the company that is making the Chromedome shown above, has a number of other Lost Light style figures, including the DJD, Rodimus, Drift, Whirl, Megatron, and Cyclonus.

welAR1v.jpg
#Squad

Oct 25, 2017

I got Chromedome and Rewind on eBay for probably $30 shipped

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

welAR1v.jpg
I got Chromedome and Rewind on eBay for probably $30 shipped
Awesome, thank you! I'll check out ebay and see what I can find.

Thanks for the write up on all the figures and lines, Keldroc. Appreciate it.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
My 35th anniversary animation style War for Cybertron figures finally came after a couple of delays. I love em and I think the Prime is better.

A0wMODq.jpg

fPKV1AI.jpg

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

welAR1v.jpg

Oh this, this is beautiful.

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
This is my MTMTE/Lost Light shelf currently..

49018061311_859d02995e_k.jpg

1) Oversized Knock-off of Combiner Wars Rook (sirtoys.com) standing in for Roller
2) Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus (2015)
3) Mastermind Creations Calidus (Rodimus) - just wish there was a decent deluxe sized Rodimus as it puts him out of scale with the rest
4) Mastermind Creations Tyrantron (Megatron)
5) Mastermind Creations Kultur (Tarn)
6) Generations Whirl (2014) - not a great representation of the IDW look sadly, but there's nothing else close (MMC do one called Turbin, but it's not any closer..)
7) Siege Bluestreak (2019)
8) Siege Red Alert (2019)
9) Titans Return Brainstorm (2016)
10) Generations Drift (2010)
11) Generations Trailbreaker (2013)
12) Generations Nightbeat (2014)
13) Titans Return Perceptor (2017)
14) Generations Skids (2013)
15) Titans Return Chromedome (2016)
16) Classics Cyclonus (2010) Universe line.. from a double pack 'Battle in Space' with Rodimus) - the head is a MTMTE style replacement included with #23 below..
17) Titans Return Krok (2017)
18) Titans Return Breakaway (2016) AKA Getaway
19) Titans Return Nautica (2017) - The only figure of her available, sadly part of an expensive set 'Chaos on Velocitron), but it's not that great a likeness anyway and the colour is way off.
20) Generations Swerve (2013)
21) iGear Tubes (Pipes)
22) Titans Return Rewind (2016)
23) Maketoys Rear-End (Tailgate)
24) Titans Return Misfire (2017)
25) Unseen (behind Cyclonus) MMC Ni and Foxwire (Nickel and The Pet)

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome, thank you! I'll check out ebay and see what I can find.

Thanks for the write up on all the figures and lines, Keldroc. Appreciate it.

A word of warning for someone getting into TF figures: there's a world of difference in terms of price between official Hasbro Transformers toys, and high-end fan-made collector figures: the latter usually get well into the hundreds territory. If you're just starting out, and unless you're, well, pretty affluent, I would start with the official toys.

You can get really good likeness of Rewind, Chromedome, Tailgate and Cyclonus from the official toy lines. Some of them even nod to MTMTE: Titans Return Rewind, for example, has Rewind's head camera.

If you live in the US, collecting TFs is really easy. You have large online shops like BigBadToyStore with great prices and low shipping. If you live in Europe like me, it gets a bit more complicated as you usually have to import from either the US or Asia.

BBTS has Rewind in stock:

They also have the Japanese version of Chromedome (Japanese versions are more expensive, although sometimes feature better paint apps):

Alternatively, they have a pack with the US version of Chromedome with other three figures (I have Wolfwire and Highbrow and they're both great):

They also have Power of the Primes Tailgate, but personally I don't think he looks much like Tailgate. I have Thrilling 30 Tailgate, which I like a lot, but is from 2014 so it's not available on BBTS. However, it's easy to find on eBay, here's a cheap but intact secondhand one (alternatively, since it's a small figure, you can try to get one of the third party versions):

For Cyclonus you have more options as it's slightly more of a big player in the general mythos. I personally think the Thrilling 30 version of him, particularly the "battle in space" version that comes with a pretty decent Rodimus as well, looks reasonably like the IDW version, looks good scale-wise next to Tailgate (keep this in mind, since there's e.g. a Voyager version that is too big) and has a pretty great alt mode. This is probably going to be the biggest expenditure since it's probably the oldest figure here, and somewhat looked after: this is the cheapest I found it after a few seconds of searching:

Hope this all helps, and welcome to the rabbit hole that is TF collecting. :D

Last edited:

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
The Japanese Chromedome has a more G1 head sculpt than the US/Euro one, which is way more like the IDW one..
The best matches from Hasbro are probably Magnus, Rewind, Trailbreaker, Skids and Swerve who are all VERY IDW accurate..

Forgot to mention, in terms of villains, MTMTE uses several that are original to the series (& while you can get some DJD figures, no-one has made a Pharma or Tyrest figure yet as far as I know.) There's is however a reasonable Hasbro Leader Class Overlord and a couple of great (but really expensive and harder to get hold of 3rd party versions - MMC's Carnifex & Fanshobby's massive DoubleEvil)

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did they fix the problems with Siege Megatron (the right leg being loose especially) with the animated version, or nah?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get this awful Siege Barricade (Prowl repaint)?

The build quality is abysmal, which is a first for me out of all the Siege figures I've got. I got Impactor at the same time and it's like night and day in terms of how solid they are and how well done the joints are.

This Barricade is trash-tier.