• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's all part of TT's plans... They release MP-51 Arcee, everyone spends their money, and then a year or so down the road they release MP-51b which they will market as movie accurate with the correct colors and facial expressions and they'll throw in some additional face plates and some other accessories, charge a bit more and everyone will buy the figure again. They have done it like 3x now with Prime. Twice with Megatron & Bumblebee. Why stop now...

Unlike Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee, I'm not sure Arcee is popular enough for people to buy her twice. Like we never got a better Tracks, did we?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee, I'm not sure Arcee is popular enough for people to buy her twice. Like we never got a better Tracks, did we?

Very True...

Also, I wonder if the model on display at the show was something just thrown together as a concept to show what it will look like painted... Perhaps there is still time to change the facial model of the figure to make it more movie accurate

Oct 29, 2017
MP Tigatron and Arcee incoming.

DD643438-1A76-433C-B0FB-E2E7DC2C4416.jpeg

C1AE8167-05F1-4421-A90B-376B0436E033.jpeg

I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping Takara would take inspiration from Big Firebird's Nicee.

S/
Jesus. If I had less hobbies to spend money on I'd fucking love to start picking up these MPs.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking KOs, the Jinbao Gravity Builder set looks downright amazing and it actually kind of made me regret I got the Takara CW one; if I didn't have the latter, I would have jumped on the former in a heartbeat. I mean, look at this shit, and remember you can get it all for a little over $100:

EmGo has reviews for all of the individual components, here's e.g. not-Hook:

I hate you now.

These are incredibly difficult to find locally, but I did find quite a few reputable sellers on eBay shipping these brand new in the box from the general area (Shanghai/HK etc.) I'm hovering over the checkout button on the damn cart, but the full set comes in at $157USD (with free shipping, though).

AHHHH! SOOO TEMPTED! The wife might kill me though...or maybe not because she loves that the little guy and I play with these things together.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that. I thought it was a predominantly Western show. I wonder what new Transformer designs they came up with for Eastern audiences.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I hate you now.

These are incredibly difficult to find locally, but I did find quite a few reputable sellers on eBay shipping these brand new in the box from the general area (Shanghai/HK etc.) I'm hovering over the checkout button on the damn cart, but the full set comes in at $157USD (with free shipping, though).

AHHHH! SOOO TEMPTED! The wife might kill me though...or maybe not because she loves that the little guy and I play with these things together.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I never knew that. I thought it was a predominantly Western show. I wonder what new Transformer designs they came up with for Eastern audiences.
That's where Leo Convoy (which is getting an MP) and Big Convoy (the Mammoth) came from. Besides Leo, most of the BWII stuff were molds that came out in the US, but Neo had a bunch of stuff (like a giraffe, a rabbit, and a penguin) that never made it out here (or did so as recolors)

Even if it wasn't popular in Asia, many toy companies are now starting to factor in western fans when releasing toys. It's the whole reason Bandai made SOC MMPR Megazords.

The weird thing is, I don't remember any of these Beast Wars MPs getting an official release in the US.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is, I don't remember any of these Beast Wars MPs getting an official release in the US.
Most recently MPs in the States were a Toys R Us thing and there hasn't been a replacement since they went under. Earlier on you could find them at Targets and Walmarts but that was forever ago.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Most recently MPs in the States were a Toys R Us thing and there hasn't been a replacement since they went under. Earlier on you could find them at Targets and Walmarts but that was forever ago.

I think Amazon had a few of the movie MPs as exclusives, and Pulse has been importing a lot of stuff, but yeah I was mainly commenting because if they were going after the Western market you'd think they'd make it easier to get in the West, especially something as big and bulky to ship as, say, Beast Wars Megs or Dinobot.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
reduced-galery_image_12919_22656.jpg

So, my wife will probably kill me, but I went ahead and put an order in for the Oversized Gravity Builder by JinBao. I simply could not resist as this thing just looks so much cooler than any of the official Devastator figures I've seen. EmGo's review also helped to assure me of the awesome detail, articulation, and quality of this thing.

I ordered it from a reputable seller with a long-standing history on eBay. I swear I must be fucking nuts because I kind of detest eBay and don't trust it one iota. This is my first time buying anything off eBay. But the seller is based in Shanghai, I'm in Taiwan, so shipping shouldn't be too long of a wait (plus, the order was $150USD with "free" shipping).

Anyone here have one of these things? It'll be nice to have some solid opposition for our Siege Omega Supreme.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I have the first set of two figures. They're good. Nothing loose on mine, except a chest piece on one of them, but it's minor.

Waiting for my birthday to order set B.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the first set of two figures. They're good. Nothing loose on mine, except a chest piece on one of them, but it's minor.

Waiting for my birthday to order set B.

Does anyone have the whole thing, though? It's surprising to me that these seem to be relatively easy to find for people in the US who have some good specialty toy stores nearby, but for myself here in Taiwan I get a lot of annoyed hand waving by shop owners when I asked they had it or knew where to get one (the complete set) or could order it.

I can't believe I had to order this from fucking eBay, of all places.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think many brick and mortar stores carry these in Canada, either. I sure as hell don't know any. Ordered mine from showzstore.

Looking at a specialty shop like agesthreeandup, they don't seem to carry KOs at all.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does anyone have the whole thing, though? It's surprising to me that these seem to be relatively easy to find for people in the US who have some good specialty toy stores nearby, but for myself here in Taiwan I get a lot of annoyed hand waving by shop owners when I asked they had it or knew where to get one (the complete set) or could order it.

I can't believe I had to order this from fucking eBay, of all places.

If anything I'm kind of surprised US shops carry them, what with being knockoffs, but I guess on a big enough country you can find shops that carry these too.
Ordering from eBay should not be too problematic as long as the seller has a good enough reputation. I know it's a bit late for this but always look for sellers that have > 99.5% positive feedback and at least a few hundred reviews. Worst case scenario you can ask PayPal for a refund.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything I'm kind of surprised US shops carry them, what with being knockoffs, but I guess on a big enough country you can find shops that carry these too.
Ordering from eBay should not be too problematic as long as the seller has a good enough reputation. I know it's a bit late for this but always look for sellers that have > 99.5% positive feedback and at least a few hundred reviews. Worst case scenario you can ask PayPal for a refund.

Oh I did check. Even though it was my first time buying, I made sure they were a reputable seller with a long-standing history. They've been selling since 2008 and have an insane number of ratings submitted from their buyers. They've 99.x% or some such thing for sure.

Wanna hear something crazy though? I'm super paranoid about eBay and never wanted to use it. Swore it off ever since it's inception. But my son and I wanted this badly enough and the price wasn't too insane (I see it listed for as much as $400 on some sites), so I said fine. The seller looks solid so I'll go for it. So get this...

I made some inquiries, they were fairly quick to respond. I asked about possible shipping issues between Shanghai and Taipei due to the coronavirus (delays and whatnot); they answer all of my questions. So I finally gather up the courage and hit the PayPal button. Then I message them again to tell them I sent payment. They say "Oh? We don't see your payment/order? Are you sure it was purchased successfully?"

I freak the fuck out and start sending them proof of payment. They go radio silent for like TWO DAYS. So my cynicism and paranoia go through the roof. FINALLY they message me back twice and say "We got it we got it! It's okay don't worry!"

Haha Holy fuck, I was freaking out. My wife would have killed me if I had gotten swindled.

All good though. Should be getting this baby sometime next month.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I did check. Even though it was my first time buying, I made sure they were a reputable seller with a long-standing history. They've been selling since 2008 and have an insane number of ratings submitted from their buyers. They've 99.x% or some such thing for sure.

Wanna hear something crazy though? I'm super paranoid about eBay and never wanted to use it. Swore it off ever since it's inception. But my son and I wanted this badly enough and the price wasn't too insane (I see it listed for as much as $400 on some sites), so I said fine. The seller looks solid so I'll go for it. So get this...

I made some inquiries, they were fairly quick to respond. I asked about possible shipping issues between Shanghai and Taipei due to the coronavirus (delays and whatnot); they answer all of my questions. So I finally gather up the courage and hit the PayPal button. Then I message them again to tell them I sent payment. They say "Oh? We don't see your payment/order? Are you sure it was purchased successfully?"

I freak the fuck out and start sending them proof of payment. They go radio silent for like TWO DAYS. So my cynicism and paranoia go through the roof. FINALLY they message me back twice and say "We got it we got it! It's okay don't worry!"

Haha Holy fuck, I was freaking out. My wife would have killed me if I had gotten swindled.

I just recently bought a small item from China off eBay. It showed up defective, so I complained, and the seller dragged their heels until they were finally in the position where making it right was the next step (gimme a refund, send me another one, whatever)... and then the seller dropped communications and went radio silent for a week.

It would've totally been more than a week, but I set a countdown reminder in my calendar. At the one week mark I prodded them to take the next step already, and they had completely forgotten who I was and restarted their "customer service" from square one. I pushed the conversation along faster this time, all while pointing out the previous conversation, and when it got to the point of them making it right... they dropped off for another week again.

This second time after the week with no contact had passed, I filed an eBay/Paypal claim instead of prodding the seller. The seller responded to the open dispute by trying to restart a third customer service loop. My response to eBay/Paypal was like "LOL no." One hour before the mandatory negotiation time limit expired, the seller made a fourth attempt to restart the useless customer service loop, but I just tagged the "negotiation is impossible" button, and explained to eBay/Paypal what was wrong and how the seller wasn't resolving anything, and was just jerking me around, probably hoping I'd give up and go away, or slip up and make a mistake somewhere (like letting a deadline lapse).

Ten minutes after I hit the "request an intervention" button, Paypal gave me a full refund. It was basically just a huge waste of my time, but at least I didn't lose my money. These kinds of sellers are the reason why eBay slants their rules towards the buyers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Being distrustful of eBay is not just common, is the reasonable default. Swindle attempts do happen. However, as Cheerilee pointed above, eBay pretty much always refunds the buyer, and in your specific case filing a refund would be trivial as the seller claims they didn't get the money in the first place. :)

The only thing you have to watch for is letting the one month deadline lapse. You can't ask for refunds after that (or at least you couldn't when I was buying a lot of stuff from eBay), and some rogue sellers try to take advantate of that by trying to delay things, again like Cheerilee's example above. So if your item hasn't arrived by the three and a half week mark, no matter what excuses the seller gives you, ask for a refund. Worst case scenario you do get the item and can pay the seller again.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being distrustful of eBay is not just common, is the reasonable default. Swindle attempts do happen. However, as Cheerilee pointed above, eBay pretty much always refunds the buyer, and in your specific case filing a refund would be trivial as the seller claims they didn't get the money in the first place. :)

The only thing you have to watch for is letting the one month deadline lapse. You can't ask for refunds after that (or at least you couldn't when I was buying a lot of stuff from eBay), and some rogue sellers try to take advantate of that by trying to delay things, again like Cheerilee's example above. So if your item hasn't arrived by the three and a half week mark, no matter what excuses the seller gives you, ask for a refund. Worst case scenario you do get the item and can pay the seller again.
Also, a word to the wise when dealing on eBay... DO NOT take your communications to private email.

When someone on ebay sends you a message, it should arrive in your email inbox. Now it might be your first instinct to just hit "reply" on the email, but don't respond to that message using your regular email. That email is just there for your convenience. Log into your ebay account, and the message will also be right there in your ebay messages. Use ebay's own messaging system to send your response.

If you bounce all of your messages through ebay, then ebay has instantly-verifiable records of everything that was said, which can be useful if ebay needs to get involved in a dispute. If you take your communications to private email, then ebay can't see what happened, and it can become something of a he said/she said situation if things happen to turn sour.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some really good advice on buying via eBay, thanks a lot guys! I'm certainly feeling a bit easier now knowing the safeguards that are in place to protect buyers. Good that getting a refund from bogus sellers isn't a complete chore.

This will most likely be my first and last purchase from eBay. I think it was more of a desperation move because my son and I really want a Devastator figure to go up against our Siege Omega Supreme.

This upscaled JinBao Gravity Builder looks as good, if not better than the Combiner Wars Devastator.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I don't think US shops carry them, at least not B&Ms, even the small shops, that I've seen. It's mostly online shops and even then they usually don't touch the true knockoffs, even oversized ones.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My son and I decided to check one of our local department stores to see if the Earthrise line has started to hit the shelves here in Taipei and low and behold, they had everything from the first wave!

We both freaked out a little. I frantically searched for Prime but they didn't even have him out on the shelves yet (everyone but Prime). So I asked the lady and she opened up a box that was stowed away and pulled out an Earthrise Prime for me.

We got a modest little haul. My son picked Ironworks, and we got a pack of micro masters and a battle master.

These were loads of fun to play around with, especially Ironworks. As for Prime...I'm not sure I like him more than Siege Prime. I may be falling on the side of slightly disappointed with him but I'll see how I feel after a bit more tinkering.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Siege prime is probably my favorite one, though I don't have Earthrise yet.

I have found the rest of wave 1 though, and am pretty happy with it. Wheeljack is probably my favorite. Feel like the pinned joints are a bit more inconsistent here than with Siege where things were more often nice and tight. The crane pin breaking off on Grapple is no joke, I really had to work hard with a spudger to transform him the first time before I sanded it down to make it easier to remove. It is still a risk though due to the size of the peg.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Siege prime is probably my favorite one, though I don't have Earthrise yet.

I have found the rest of wave 1 though, and am pretty happy with it. Wheeljack is probably my favorite. Feel like the pinned joints are a bit more inconsistent here than with Siege where things were more often nice and tight. The crane pin breaking off on Grapple is no joke, I really had to work hard with a spudger to transform him the first time before I sanded it down to make it easier to remove. It is still a risk though due to the size of the peg.

I don't think that mold fits Wheeljack super well, but it will make a great Sunstreaker.

I can't wait for him and the Trailbreaker remold of Hoist.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that mold fits Wheeljack super well, but it will make a great Sunstreaker.

I can't wait for him and the Trailbreaker remold of Hoist.
I could see him being a good Sunstreaker if the windshield and back of the car are remolded a bit. The spoiler is attached using 5mm pegs so that could easily be swapped out for Streaker's engine/intake thing.

Told myself I'd wait for Trailbreaker and not pick up Hoist but ran into him on the shelf and the half painted/half molded green didn't look as bad in person as I thought it would. Will still probably look even better on Trailbreaker.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could see him being a good Sunstreaker if the windshield and back of the car are remolded a bit. The spoiler is attached using 5mm pegs so that could easily be swapped out for Streaker's engine/intake thing.

Told myself I'd wait for Trailbreaker and not pick up Hoist but ran into him on the shelf and the half painted/half molded green didn't look as bad in person as I thought it would. Will still probably look even better on Trailbreaker.

Yeah Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker are two G1 toys I always wanted and never found.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Still nothing at my local Target. Well, I take that back, there are some micromasters from Earthrise so maybe I just missed out, but the shelves are still cluttered with Siege so I doubt it.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I love Prime, so I'll definitely be getting him. I might wait for a sale, though, cause 69.99$ Canadian dollars plus tax is a lot for it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Prime, so I'll definitely be getting him. I might wait for a sale, though, cause 69.99$ Canadian dollars plus tax is a lot for it.

Yeah with the currency conversion the price I paid works out to $76USD, which I don't want to convert to CAD because my Canadian heart couldn't take it.

I...can't recommend the figure at this price. I'm not filled with regret over buying him, but I kind of wish I had held off for even a slight price drop. But here in Taipei these figures go FAST and stores don't usually get a whole lotta restock so I'd be taking a chance on never finding it if I did.

The trailer certainly doesn't warrant the added cost, that much I can tell you. The plastic on the trailer is actually a bit flimsy and the stand for propping it up without Prime is super loose and doesn't lock into place like it should when flipped down.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How many here are planning on getting Earthrise Optimus Prime?
Probably if I run into him. I love Siege Prime but to be honest the Cybertron bits do bother me to some extent. ER Prime isn't perfect either but not in major ways that would keep me from buying him altogether.