• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Daphne Dorman, a San Francisco-based comedienne, actress and transgender activist has died by suicide, the Office of Transgender Initiatives for the City & County of San Francisco confirmed to the Daily News.
Dorman was at the center of controversy recently after she was referenced by Dave Chappelle in a stand-up special that some people called transphobic. Dorman, however, "was laughing the hardest" at the trans jokes in his practice set, the comedian said.

San Francisco's office of transgender initiatives, a city office that advances policies, programs and equity that support the transgender and the gender-nonconforming communities is urging anybody affected by the tragedy to look for help, if they need it.
"To our TGNC community, we love you," TransCitySF said in a statement, which was posted on Twitter. "We are saddened to learn about of loss of Daphne Dorman today who was a beloved community member."

In a "hidden extra" of the Netflix special, Chappelle talked about becoming friends with a transgender woman who was "laughing the hardest" at the transphobic jokes.

Last edited:

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"But she was laughing" will be the defense of those who were never bullied and have no understanding of self depreciation defense tactics for acceptance. Fuck those who still think punching down is all fun and games.

RIP

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Chappelle part just so people know who she was or did people come after her for that and it played a part in her death?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
didn't he? i think he called her daphne and there was a photo of her during the end credits.
You dont think he talked with her if its ok to do it?

I can see people blaming dave for it which like always is the easy way instead of looking what factors where in play for her to commit suicide.

Society needs to take a look in the mirror.

R.i.P

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You dont think he talked with her if its ok to do it?

I can see people blaming dave for it which like always is the easy way instead of looking what factors where in play for her to commit suicide.

Society needs to take a look in the mirror.

R.i.P
i assume he had her permission and i don't blame chapelle. i simply responded to someone who said chapelle didn't name her at all during his stand-up, while i am pretty sure he did.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The facebook post and replies are really sad, especially after her sister breaks the news of her passing.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Please edit that shitty title.

She was famous enough to be remembered as her own comedian, there is no need to use Chapelle name to give importance, she already was known.

It's insulting to make the title about somebody else when she is dead.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
How it is relevant?

"hey ya all, this person died, you will remember her because whe was mentioned laughing by a more famous person, oh no, let's discuss Chapelle now".

yeah, very relevant. I hope too once I am dead to be remembered as the person mentioned by that guy

That is all that she is, a transgender person mentioned by a comedian once

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
How it is relevant?

"hey ya all, this person died, you will remember her because whe was mentioned laughing by a more famous person, oh no, let's discuss Chapelle now".

yeah, very relevant. I hope too once I am dead to be remembered as the person mentioned by that guy

Friend Daphne literally put it front and centre in her Twitter bio.

Tomato

Jun 8, 2019
I saw the suicide post on Facebook, not sure why the op and some news sites are trying to drag Dave into it when Daphne herself was on record as being a ok with him?

My heart breaks for the child who not only lost a parent but now will have to endure people making her moms death some kind of talking point. I hope they are young enough to stay away from online.

What a horrible situation

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Bringing up Dave is relevant because for him transgender people are a joke. But what transgender people have to go through in life is absolutely not a laughing matter. What Dave does is mean and it normalizes transphobia. It doesn't matter that Dorman was okay with Dave.

Nov 5, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobia and Inflammatory Joke in a Sensitive Thread; Previous Relevant Severe Infraction
More material for his next special.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Damn.

RIP I was hoping she was going to go place and stuff.

This has gotten me pretty down

I'm sure people will blame Dave but I personally don't.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
User Banned (1 week): Hostility, history of similar infractions
She clearly felt it pretty relevant to her.

That reference is what a lot of folks would know her from. It's there for context.

Furthermore then go yell at the New York Daily News, and Pink News, Newsweek...
There is much more in the Bio.

And you are just as shitty as those newspapers, using her death for a fucking thread.

Shame on you. I am out

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I was just reading her last posts.

I wonder what caused the suicide as the posts don't show anything specific.

I just hope the best for all those affected.