• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
"Another developer, who chose to remain anonymous, faced an especially coordinated attack, albeit an incompetently-handled one: The company this developer freelances for, she told Kotaku in a DM, received a "a three-digit number's" worth of letters complaining that it was morally wrong to hire "a transgender," that the quality of the studio's games had gone down since she and another woman were hired, and that her Twitter account set "a bad example for the letter-writer's children, who supposedly play this game."

For a brief period of time, the developer said, her CEO was ready to tell her boss to fire her. Then, another employee realized something was amiss with the letters. "Fifty or so of them glitched out with a lot of variables exposed, including %FEMALENAME," said the developer. This made it clear that the letters were simply form letters with blank spaces for the name of any woman that the mob wanted to attack.

A deeper look at the names and emails associated with the letters went to Facebook bot profiles and people whose profiles indicated associations with Gamergate or 4chan.

"This is 100% a response to the ArenaNet thing," the developer said. "Last Saturday there was a post on 4chan in the game's general discussion thread that said something like 'Reddit proved we can get bitches fired, isn't there a female that posts here? Let's get her fired, it'll be awesome, we have the power to do it.'"

Source: Kotaku

non-discrimination-laws-map-768x768.jpg

It is deeply concerning to see this, especially given the state of anti-discrimination laws in the United States. Particularly that the CEO was almost willing to go through with this. Imagine if the harassment mob wasn't so blisteringly incompetent?

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
People always say all the bad will die off with older generation, but gamer culture says otherwise

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. This ArenaNet thing is going to lead to some real issues for the next while, isn't it?

data

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck this thing has gone off the deep end. I did not expect things to grow this big.

Fuck those people for trying to take a mile from the ArenaNet firing.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The OP here decided to make a new thread about this specific incident:

can we get a separate thread for the story of the transgender developer being almost successfully brigaded out of her job for existing?

so that way it isn't buried under people very concerned that jessica price was rude?

i think i'll make it myself

warranted IMO

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Man....fuck those people who do this, but really fuck the CEO who was thinking about firing this person over it. I would be out the door if I thought the CEO of the company I work for would fire employees over something so ridiculous.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You know, people could have tried to learn something from the last time this happened and it was all over the gaming news. Like, don't listen to internet hate mobs.

Dec 29, 2017
Coward piece of shit.

You are either a kid who still lives with his parents or a lucky person who has never been in a bad economical spot before. Even though it must suck for her to go through this, the fact that she chose to remain anonymous makes it clear that this job is very important to maintain her living standards (it should be clear enough with the image posted before in this thread. It is not easy to get a job as a transgender).

Oct 27, 2017
For a brief period of time, the developer said, her CEO was ready to tell her boss to fire her. Then, another employee realized something was amiss with the letters. "Fifty or so of them glitched out with a lot of variables exposed, including %FEMALENAME," said the developer. This made it clear that the letters were simply form letters with blank spaces for the name of any woman that the mob wanted to attack.

A deeper look at the names and emails associated with the letters went to Facebook bot profiles and people whose profiles indicated associations with Gamergate or 4chan

Why would any of this make a difference? Why would something have to be amiss for the CEO to know there was no sound reason to fire her? Fuck this shit

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
What kinda sad piece of shit do you need to be to actually care about this, send in letters, and ask for this person's job? Why waste time?? Why be offended by someone's sexuality? How does it effect you?? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???

Absolutely disgusting. Fucking let people live their lives in peace.

Who goes out of their way to fuck people over??

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
How is it legal to fire somebody because of their sexual orientation? You need some real labor laws in there asap.

Nov 4, 2017
What the fuck is with the CEO
Launching a mob attack like that at anyone's job is like 99% likely to get them fired, regardless of who the CEO is or if the person even did anything.

If you show up a work one day and your boss is reading hundreds of complaints about you, and all you can say it, "sir this is really not important. It's an online argument thing. You should disregard all of them." But meanwhile the complaints just keep coming. Literally almost any employer on earth will fire you. We've seen that social media pressure can even take down extremely powerful people and celebrities. It can even take out the owners of NBA teams who aren't actually employed by anyone directly. It can also get sponsors to drop out and hurt entire companies.

The more exceptional thing is that the CEO actually didn't fire them, thankfully.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You mean gamer gate isn't actually as large a group as people assume and we're literally just seeing a rehash of the old Christian moral police letter writing campaigns from the pre internet days? I'm shocked.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this person doesn't definitely get fired now after taking this to the press? Seems like it would be obvious to the company and CEO who this is Kotaku talked to.

I mean I guess it may breeze over because the CEO walked back when they found out it was automated and they didn't point fingers at the company... But if they were going to be fired for being transgender...

Enzo88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
People are disgusting. How do you go out of your way to hate somebody you don't even know, based on what they feel about themselves, what they look like or what they like? Why do you care? How does that harm you in any way?

Get a life...

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this person doesn't definitely get fired now after taking this to the press? Seems like it would be obvious to the company and CEO who this is Kotaku talked to.

If the CEO were smart they would realise that doing this would mean they would have to step down fairly soon afterward too.