• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
That worked out, then! Every one of my cases has been significantly less clean, lol.
Yeah, I also lost an aunt to truly out there bizarre Facebook conspiracy theories. She's basically Roseanne now, mumbling at family stuff about Seth Rich and shit. Luckily all the rest my friends are really progressive nice people. I lived in SoCal for most my life and now Portland though so... bubble and all that.

A lot of people should ask themselves before they post whether they're posting about the events here or about themselves. Because ultimately the people actually involved are the gamers engaging in the harassment, the company CEO, and the targeted developer. When you come in here and your concern is none of these people, but that your own identity is under attack, it's showing some strange priorities.

Well worded, thank you. It shows an astounding lack of empathy, and is totally self-absorbed when people feel the need to #notallmen #notallwhiteppl #notallgamers every thread. Do I shit up threads about terrible things white women do to minorities? Fuck no, I condemn them. It's about more than me, and I readily acknowledge white women can be horrible. Doesn't take much to have even that basic tiny shred of empathy and humility to listen to what's going on.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people should ask themselves before they post whether they're posting about the events here or about themselves. Because ultimately the people actually involved are the gamers engaging in the harassment, the company CEO, and the targeted developer. When you come in here and your concern is none of these people, but that your own identity is under attack, it's showing some strange priorities.

I post in a video game forum regularly, but I'm not going to feel offended when people in that same forum criticize gamers for behaviour that gamers are actually engaging in and have seen evidence of. I'm not going to feel offended because I don't intend to associate myself with those gamer, and I don't know why I should feel that I should just because we both play video games.

To me one of the most pathetic things is attaching your self worth to a consumer based hobby to the point were you feel personally attacked whenever a consumer based hobby is referenced in a negative light.

I like games but if I were to stop it won't change me at all other than the fact that I would have more free time to not go to the gym.

Oct 25, 2017

I post in a video game forum regularly, but I'm not going to feel offended when people in that same forum criticize gamers for behaviour that gamers are actually engaging in and have seen evidence of. I'm not going to feel offended because I don't intend to associate myself with those gamer, and I don't know why I should feel that I should just because we both play video games.

The entire concept of Gamergate is based upon a sense of intense fragility over identifying as a "gamer", so it's not surprising in the slightest. It's like the embodiment of the characters from The Big Bang Theory allegedly rejecting taking part in toxic masculinity aimed at them, turning their backs on society and then... propagating toxic masculinity inward on themselves? Fucking pathetic.

It's difficult to pass in red states.

Which is why it needs to be done on a federal level. Not being discriminated against simply for being part of a minority is nothing less than an inalienable human right.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These people didn't think that companies would get wise to them sending the same exact letter of complaint over and over?
They're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. It almost worked here.

Most of the gaming industry's ambivalent silence and tacit acceptance of these hate movements has legitimized them honestly. So it's sadly unsurprising the needle has moved in the wrong direction for the past few years.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well worded, thank you. It shows an astounding lack of empathy, and is totally self-absorbed when people feel the need to #notallmen #notallwhiteppl #notallgamers every thread. Do I shit up threads about terrible things white women do to minorities? Fuck no, I condemn them. It's about more than me, and I readily acknowledge white women can be horrible. Doesn't take much to have even that basic tiny shred of empathy and humility to listen to what's going on.

I feel like the same thing is happening when people pop into threads about an incident where there are actual victims involved and lead with "I'm probably going to get banned for this but". When someone pops into that sort of situation and the first thing they do is paint themselves as the victim and try to gather sympathy, I get really suspicious really fast.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That map is shocking. Where are your anti-discrimination laws?

Something something freedom something something right to work something something.

Serious answer: America's trash at protecting it's marginalized people. This raises a great point. The CEO shouldn't have had the opportunity to consider firing this woman, 'cause that should've been illegal from jump.

Yeah, I also lost an aunt to truly out there bizarre Facebook conspiracy theories. She's basically Roseanne now, mumbling at family stuff about Seth Rich and shit. Luckily all the rest my friends are really progressive nice people. I lived in SoCal for most my life and now Portland though so... bubble and all that.

Hey, bubbles aren't necessarily a bad thing. In Mississippi...things aren't quite so clear cut. Religious nuts, YouTube conspiracy theories, I've dealt with family/friends who use all of it as an excuse to propagate more hatred. Most of my friends are still decent folk, but I spend a lot of time wondering how tf we let it all go so bad. >_<

Oct 25, 2017
They're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. It almost worked here.

Most of the gaming industry's ambivalent silence and tacit acceptance of these hate movements has legitimized them honestly. So it's sadly unsurprising the needle has moved in the wrong direction for the past few years.

This. I've said it before and I'll say it again; kudos to EA, Blizzard and recently Ubisoft (with the Rainbow Six Siege automatic bans over slurs in chat) for taking an unexpected and genuine stance over this, as much as I disagree with their business practices. Other game companies need to bow their heads in shame for a looooooong time once this garbage has been settled and excised from our community.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Christ are we really gonna push this "not every gamer is bad" bullshit?

Yeah. Duh. Not every gamer is bad. No shit. That's not the point.

The point is that gaming culture is absolutely toxic. I know that word gets overused, but it's the truth. Gaming and gamers are a problem.

If you are so thin skinned, have made gaming such an integral part of your identity, that you would rather talk about how mean it is for people to call out gaming culture because "well, I've never harassed anyone" (congratulations on that, btw, well done, we're very proud) then the rampant hatred and bigotry that has infested the gaming community, then you are the problem. You might not be alt-right, or transphobic, or whatever, but you're still a part of the problem.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I feel like the same thing is happening when people pop into threads about an incident where there are actual victims involved and lead with "I'm probably going to get banned for this but". When someone pops into that sort of situation and the first thing they do is paint themselves as the victim and try to gather sympathy, I get really suspicious really fast.
lol "I'll probably get banned BUT" is going to be the new "I'm just asking questions" isn't it? People are always going to play devil's advocate because they want attention and to seem like they're smarter for seeing some angle no one else does. It's those same people that often DO get banned because within seconds they start railing against how ERA is a hive mind that won't tolerate any frozen peaches.

Hey, bubbles aren't necessarily a bad thing. In Mississippi...things aren't quite so clear cut. Religious nuts, YouTube conspiracy theories, I've dealt with family/friends who use all of it as an excuse to propagate more hatred. Most of my friends are still decent folk, but I spend a lot of time wondering how tf we let it all go so bad. >_<
Me too. I honestly feel like we've slipped into some alternate dimension where a huge chunk of people got replaced by some bigoted replicants or evil skrulls or something. The things people say and do now in 2018 are just astounding for someone like me who grew up in the 90's believing the world would only get bbetter when I was an adult.Hahaha... we're fucked.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You have national laws as well though right? Not just state level laws. Discrimination laws should be implemented at the highest level.

"States rights" tend to work out as being "states rights...to oppress people".

Me too. I honestly feel like we've slipped into some alternate dimension where a huge chunk of people got replaced by some bigoted replicants or evil skrulls or something. The things people say and do now in 2018 are just astounding for someone like me who grew up in the 90's believing the world would only get bbetter when I was an adult.Hahaha... we're fucked.

Holy crap same. Three years ago I just assumed Trump would be the ultimate death knell of the Republican party. He'd win the nomination because the Rs pretty much only had old white dudes, then he'd proceed to get embarrassed in the proper election by a landslide's landslide. But no, no...somehow we wound up with Mr. Very Stable Genius running the free world, because far too many people in America are so much more shitty than I would have ever dreamed. And I barely believed in this country to begin with. Somehow they limbo'd under a bar I was pretty sure was an inch from the ground.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What has the "radical left" done lately that is relevant to any of this discussion to the point of warranting a both sides argument?

I'm only pointing out that injecting a point, denying "Alt Left" is a thing is silly and the radical left is clearly what the other guy was talking about by bringing up that dichotomy in the first place. Both sides of the political spectrum have their extremists. I'm not equalizing them in an argument here. I'm stating they exist, because there are people actually saying dumb shit like "The opposite of alt-right is normal people" here, and it's cringe worthy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only pointing out that injecting a point, denying "Alt Left" is a thing is silly and the radical left is clearly what the other guy was talking about by bringing up that dichotomy in the first place. Both sides of the political spectrum have their extremists. I'm not equalizing them in an argument here. I'm stating they exist, because there are people actually saying dumb shit like "The opposite of alt-right is normal people" here, and it's cringe worthy.

You're conflating the alt-right with a range on the political spectrum right in this post. Your bizarre insistence on using the word "alt left" as a synonym for "left-wing extremist" when you know that alt-right is a specific group and not just a generic term is feeding into the propaganda purpose that the word alt-right was created for.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Extermist left: "Hey, can we like... treat everyone equally? Man, woman, trans, cis, black white, gay, straight.... let's just make sure everyone's treated with basic respect and human rights. Sure would be swell if cops stopped shooting black people for no reason. Oh and it'd be great if we could government sponsored health care and education so that we can have a healthy smart citizenry. And maybe, just maybe let's not kill or torture animals i we don't need to for food, and try to keep the world from becoming a flaming ball of death for our grandkids."

Extremists right: "Concentration camps for brown immigrants! Shock therapy for LGBT people! Send blacks back to Africa and Mexicans back to Mexico and keep america white! No abortions women need to know their place is in the kitchen by her husband. Blue lives matter, Jesus saves, etc."

Yeah... TOTALLY the fucking same dude.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

What in the fucking fuck are you talking about? The "radical" left? What's that look like? What are their goals? What are they trying to achieve? Because the alt-right is trying to achieve white supremacy, elimination of LGBT and POC, subjugation of women, which includes monumentally stupid shit like forcing a women to date losers who won't take showers. What's the opposite of that, exactly?

Edit: Beaten like a rug.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
What in the fucking fuck are you talking about? The "radical" left? What's that look like? What are their goals? What are they trying to achieve? Because the alt-right is trying to achieve white supremacy, elimination of LGBT and POC, subjugation of women, which includes monumentally stupid shit like forcing a women to date losers who won't take showers. What's the opposite of that, exactly?

Edit: Beaten like a rug.
Don't worry lol this point needs to be repeated whenever 'both sides' bullshit is trotted out. Thank you!

"Both sides "is what you say about shit like taxes or budgets or building development. Not basic human rights. Those aren't fucking negotiable and I wonder why people can't just get that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There is an extreme left part of the spectrum, like how some communist revolutionaries used violent means to achieve their goals. But the spectrum is not the reality, it's the theory. It's a tool for classifying political groups and positions that exist in reality for the convenience of being able to talk to or analyze numerous groups. If there were no far-right or far-left people, that position in the spectrum does not disappear. By the same token, a far-right or far-left group does not actually have to appear for their side of the spectrum to exist.

The alt-right, on the other hand, is something that exists in reality. It's a term used by Neo-Nazis to label themselves and make their position more palatable. Just because the other side of the spectrum exists in theory, it does not mean that when the Neo-Nazis apply this label that some opposite group of opposite strength has to do the same thing. Neo-Nazis taking a more active role and gaining more influence in mainstream politics does not mean that a left-wing group has to appear and do the same thing.

The real world doesn't operate like The Dark Crystal. You don't stab a Skeksi and see a Mystic bleed.

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah it's sad really, the Generations older than me are disgusting and I was glad that we would be moving on but nope now the generations below are just as bad, in some cases worse, sad really, mind you it wouldn't suprise me if there are some even from my generation that are vile too.

People suck

They are kids, kids grow up and change. I was unfathomably stupid when I was a teenager, im sure a lot of people were. Granted I don't know how old you are, so generation below could mean anything. But I know I wouldn't want to be judged by the teenage version of myself. I ran with a bad crowd back in the day, then again a "bad crowd" meant things like drugs, fighting and petty crime. Nowadays with the advent of social media, a bad crowd can mean a lot of things.

But the principle is still the same, you are young insecure and are desperate for acceptance. If someone is 30+ and still an idiot then ok, probably a lost cause. But at least with the younger generation, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Afterall, if we as a society recognize that people under the age of 18 are too stupid to vote and too stupid to decide if they want a tattoo. I think we have to also recognize that they are probably too stupid to formulate a proper set of moral beliefs.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the "radical left" exists, it's not really a actual significant movement in any way in the vast majority of the countries. Wherever you live, chances are that it's not a real thing in any meaningful way. Radical Left is a overused term often used by idiots to describe anyone even remotely progressive. People who actually know their shit know what radical left is, and it's not what 99.87% of the people using that term online think it is.

And yes , the opposite of alt right fuckwits is absolutely normal people. Like, they are literal polar opposites.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and the map doesn't even take in to account the at-will states.

It's a fucking mess all around.

That's because you don't even need to make a map: literally every state in America is at-will employment, with the arguable exception of Montana. Yeah, it fucking sucks.

(If you were thinking of the farcically-named "right-to-work" concept, here's a map for the 28 states that do that)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry lol this point needs to be repeated whenever 'both sides' bullshit is trotted out. Thank you!

"Both sides "is what you say about shit like taxes or budgets or building development. Not basic human rights. Those aren't fucking negotiable and I wonder why people can't just get that.

Happens when you don't look at "not-you people" as people, I guess. :/

There is an extreme left part of the spectrum, like how some communist revolutionaries used violent means to achieve their goals. But the spectrum is not the reality, it's the theory. It's a tool for classifying political groups and positions that exist in reality for the convenience of being able to talk to or analyze numerous groups. If there were no far-right or far-left people, that position in the spectrum does not disappear. By the same token, a far-right or far-left group does not actually have to appear for their side of the spectrum to exist.

Fair, though that gets into being an outright dictatorship--I don't think that's where we are in America.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The GGers/Channer types never cease to continue to horrify me in the ways that they can harass women and trans people.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
What the fuck is with the CEO

It hurts my income!

"This is 100% a response to the ArenaNet thing," the developer said. "Last Saturday there was a post on 4chan in the game's general discussion thread that said something like 'Reddit proved we can get bitches fired, isn't there a female that posts here? Let's get her fired, it'll be awesome, we have the power to do it.'"

I was afraid this could happen, and it did...

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

Afterall, if we as a society recognize that people under the age of 18 are too stupid to vote and too stupid to decide if they want a tattoo. I think we have to also recognize that they are probably too stupid to formulate a proper set of moral beliefs.
Thing is though, all this alt-right and gamergate shit has shown us a LOT of these people are men in their 20's and 30's... sometimes even their 40's. Some jerk in the Henry Cavill thread got banned for some really horrid comments and he'd mentioned he was like 40.

The real world doesn't operate like The Dark Crystal. You don't stab a Skeksi and see a Mystic bleed.
tenor.gif

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
God, what the fuck is wrong with people on 4chan??

At least the CEO didn't go through with it, I guess... But only because they found that out, so not exactly good either.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While the "radical left" exists, it's not really a actual significant movement in any way in the vast majority of the countries. Wherever you live, chances are that it's not a real thing in any meaningful way. Radical Left is a overused term often used by idiots to describe anyone even remotely progressive. People who actually know their shit know what radical left is, and it's not what 99.87% of the people using that term online think it is.

And yes , the opposite of alt right fuckwits is absolutely normal people. Like, they are literal polar opposites.

Dunno in my humble opinion this mostly comes a bit down to a lot of Americans only ever seeing 2 sides their side and the enemy and that goes for pretty much everything there is no real consense and nothing in between for them there are no shades of grey, might be because of their 2 party political system which taught them to think this way. Radicals definitely exist on both extreme ends of the spectrum but there is a lot in-between.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That's the second time I read news regarding people asking for someone else's termination this week.
The other person being the Jurassic World director.

These people should get a hobby or something, what a waste of oxygen.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck those people, fuck that CEO, and fuck all those states for not making it illegal to fire someone for being trans. What the fuck.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What the fuck s wrong with these people to go targeting others like this?

It's just a terrible display of hatred.

And shame on the CEO; nice example of why certain staff legal protections are imperative to block that even being an option for them to consider.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't care to have lgbtq people. I just don't want to make special accomadations for them. I do treat them like other people and that makes people mad for aome reason

queer people have been murdered, tortured, brainwashed, prevented of all rights, and some still live in a constant fucking fear of who they are and depending on where they live. you have our vice president who believes that gay people should be changed "back to being straight", you have the Russian government literally murdering their LGBT citizens

you have the fucking nerve to say you don't want to "make special accommodations" for them? Why not? It takes literally no effort to treat queer individuals like fucking human beings.

step off your privilege for five fucking seconds and think before you type

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Christ are we really gonna push this "not every gamer is bad" bullshit?

Yeah. Duh. Not every gamer is bad. No shit. That's not the point.

The point is that gaming culture is absolutely toxic. I know that word gets overused, but it's the truth. Gaming and gamers are a problem.

If you are so thin skinned, have made gaming such an integral part of your identity, that you would rather talk about how mean it is for people to call out gaming culture because "well, I've never harassed anyone" (congratulations on that, btw, well done, we're very proud) then the rampant hatred and bigotry that has infested the gaming community, then you are the problem. You might not be alt-right, or transphobic, or whatever, but you're still a part of the problem.

This right here is a good post.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is depressing. America needs better protections for marginalised groups, people shouldn't have to fight for their jobs because their CEOs are cowards.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The US doesn't have extreme left and extreme right, it's politics have shifted so far to the right that it has extreme right and what would be the central ground in much of Western/Northern Europe. It allows the tarring of people with heavily centrist views as 'left wing' just for suggesting 'live and let live', and left-wing view points of 'direct action for greater equality' as extremism on par with alt-right hatred. That's ridiculous, and a a dangerous sign of how US politics is shifting.

Besides, politics aren't a spectrum, it has two axis of authoritarian/libertarian and left/right, there is no left-wing equivalent to the alt-right when so much of the latter is based in calling for active oppression and hatred. To claim an extreme left exists as a mirror of the extreme right is to drag any campaign for equality for minorities, into the same murky waters of casting their actions and opinions as 'out-there' as those who would oppress them. The alt-right deserve to be seen as extremists. Those who oppose them aren't.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno in my humble opinion this mostly comes a bit down to a lot of Americans only ever seeing 2 sides their side and the enemy and that goes for pretty much everything there is no real consense and nothing in between for them there are no shades of grey, might be because of their 2 party political system which taught them to think this way. Radicals definitely exist on both extreme ends of the spectrum but there is a lot in-between.
America's terrible political system only serves to increase the stupidity of the "radical left" claims. By the standards of countries with actually decent political systems, the Republicans would be considered a far right extremist party. And the Democrats a mostly Center-Right party with the occasional Center Left measure thrown in every now and then.

"Radical Left" in modern internet conversation is mostly nothing but a diversion tactic by the alt right to claim the left is just as bad as them.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
4chan should have been shutdown so long ago, it's ridiculous that it's still around. I know it's difficult to do but something has to be done to against these people that use the protection of anonymity to ruin people's lives.