• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 19, 2018
How are these games compared to the original Mystical Ninja on SNES?

I made a post earlier, but I feel between Mystical Ninja and Goemon 2 -- the two titles most similar to one another in terms of gameplay structure -- Mystical Ninja is the better game.

I can only speak for the first two games, but having just replayed Goemon 2, I have to say that Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the superior title between the two. It's a shame that Goemon 2 forgoes combat during the town sections, restricting a significant chunk of the gameplay to the main stages on single plane, while the Goemon Impact fight sections are as frustrating as I remembered them to be.

Graphically, Goemon 2 is undeniably gorgeous, but Mystical Ninja is no slouch either and holds up very well for an early SNES title. On top of which, I feel the music and boss battles are much better in the latter.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I made a post earlier, but I feel between Mystical Ninja and Goemon 2 -- the two titles most similar to one another in terms of gameplay structure -- Mystical Ninja is the better game.
Btw there is combat in town sections, different villagers do different things if you attack them, you just aren't a bandit like old games so they don't attack you on sight. Samurai do a duel, but town guards go full on Cuccos on you if you attack them!

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Getting attacked in towns is lame. Towns are supposed to be safe havens.

If you didn't lose your weapon powerup when hit, then I wouldn't mind it so much, but it was super lame to go through a town and start the action level with no powerups because you lost them all going through town.

I'm glad Goemon 2 is not like that.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressed with Goemon 2. So much care and so many cool little details throughout; to think each Goemon game on the SNES uses entirely new sprites (except for the fourth)... the production values is kind of bonkers in retrospect for a non-globally released game.

Better to use Flips (Floating IPS) which handles both formats: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1040/
Thanks. Gonna retire LunarIPs and Beat.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Really impressed with Goemon 2. So much care and so many cool little details throughout; to think each Goemon game on the SNES uses entirely new sprites (except for the fourth)... the production values is kind of bonkers in retrospect for a non-globally released game.

Thanks. Gonna retire LunarIPs and Beat.

Hang onto Lunar IPS just in case. I've stumbled across a game or two where an IPS patch didn't work correctly using Floating IPS. Granted, it's rare and I don't even remember which games this happened with, but something to be aware of. It'll probably never affect most people.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Back then Japan was mostly all they thought about up front, international was thought about after that. I mean the clearly highest budget, greatest Castlevania of the era was on an almost Japan-only weeb console, and another was on a Japan-only PC platform.

Konami did a bunch of US exclusive NES games in that era, mostly licensed to try and recapture the money tree that was Ninja Turtles.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
It seems Tom deleted his account.

I tried my best to reassure him, but he was really inconsolable and took this whole thing super personally.

Sadly DDS has deleted his also. I spoke to DDS yesterday before the 'Newhalf' version of Go For It Goemon' was submitted as the official version. He was getting harassed left and right over both offensive language and people butthurt about censorship sadly. They will likely both be back after the controversy blows over. I know they're working on something else ^_^

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Goemon 2 also got another translation update (not related to the pic below). Either they found a new translator or Tom is still cranking away behind the scenes.

Ganbare%2BGoemon%2B2%2B%2528Japan%2529%2B%255BE_3.0%255D000.png

There's a Yae-ish lookin' color scheme for Goemon hidden in the rom of Goemon 2. Odd but neat. Also changes the color of his pipe. Found the code here if anybody is interested.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Wow, so DDS went belly up too? I guess Tom really was their only translator. That or residual blowback got to them more than they let on initially.

But I think they will be back in the scene in some form of another. Maybe rebrand, become anons, whatever. They did good work, and I appreciate anyone who puts in the countless hours to make fan-translations, in any language. So many have absolutely no chance of being officially localized, and that goes for alot of European and Continental Asian games too. There are plenty games that deserve a second look, with the language barrier removed.

I would use this patch on to an official cartridge, but I really don't like the new English main logo - and I'm guess some other Japanese graphics have been changed to English, too.

I love translation patches, but I only want the text itself - and other incredibly vital pieces of info - translated, not necessarily every single logo.
The original Japanese logo is stylized quite wonderfully.

Wow, so DDS went belly up too? I guess Tom really was their only translator. That or residual blowback got to them more than they let on initially.

But I think they will be back in the scene in some form of another. Maybe rebrand, become anons, whatever. They did good work, and I appreciate anyone who puts in the countless hours to make fan-translations, in any language. So many have absolutely no chance of being officially localized, and that goes for alot of European and Continental Asian games too. There are plenty games that deserve a second look, with the language barrier removed.

Where are you seeing this news at?

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Where are you seeing this news at?

Mainly that their Twitter accout is deactivated and the residual Twitter commentary suggests it. I don't claim any inside knowledge, and its possible they just decided to bail Twitter and go dark while maintaining activity elsewhere. But from the looks of things, it at least seems like a hiatus.

The pixel artist for the project still hangs around on romhacking if you really want to contact them.

I might request that...but then I realized that it's pretty standard to translate most graphics/logos - at least with DDS and the team.
I just wish translations came with a text-only option vs. text+graphic translation option, I guess.

Not sure how much that's asking, though?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I would use this patch on to an official cartridge, but I really don't like the new English main logo - and I'm guess some other Japanese graphics have been changed to English, too.

I love translation patches, but I only want the text itself - and other incredibly vital pieces of info - translated, not necessarily every single logo.
Excellent point, me too.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
An official translation would changed the logo. They've kept it as close to the original Japanese logos as possible, mostly just roating the vertical boxes horizonatally (having redrawn the logos for my boxart I can appreciate what they've done). If anything an official translation would have given the games a completely different looking logo as seen in the few Goemon games we did get.

An official translation would changed the logo. They've kept it as close to the original Japanese logos as possible, mostly just roating the vertical boxes horizonatally (having redrawn the logos for my boxart I can appreciate what they've done). If anything an official translation would have given the games a completely different looking logo as seen in the few Goemon games we did get.

I mean, it's cool that they've taken the time to make new graphics like an official translation.

But, with most translations, I just want the text to be translated and generally everything else in the game left alone - I just wish there could be options for both ways.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really enjoying Goemon 3, but Snes9x just will not load the SRM file (it's definitely saving it), so I'm having to rely on save states.

Is this a thing with romhacks?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I'm really enjoying Goemon 3, but Snes9x just will not load the SRM file (it's definitely saving it), so I'm having to rely on save states.

Is this a thing with romhacks?

I hadn't played Goemon 3 yet, but I loaded the game up just now in Retroarch using the SNES9x core just now, saved at the inn, then exited the program. I loaded it back up and my save game was there and loaded fine.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I hadn't played Goemon 3 yet, but I loaded the game up just now in Retroarch using the SNES9x core just now, saved at the inn, then exited the program. I loaded it back up and my save game was there and loaded fine.
Problem seems peculiar to GG3 - GG2 saves and shows my save next time I load up. Very odd.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i already played 2 in japanese years and years ago. not entirely sure about 3 but i probably played that as well

WildZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Has anyone heard anything about Ganbare Goemon 4? is it still being worked on, or abandoned? Just finished 3 & was wondering if I should play the Japanese version?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone heard anything about Ganbare Goemon 4? is it still being worked on, or abandoned? Just finished 3 & was wondering if I should play the Japanese version?
If you don't know how to read Japanese you'll have a hard time, it relies heavily on text IIRC. You can always do it with a guide though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went on a hunt for my homebrew WiiU and found out about the translations for this series.

What's this about transphobic language in Goemon 3 that caused such a ruckus?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Went on a hunt for my homebrew WiiU and found out about the translations for this series.

What's this about transphobic language in Goemon 3 that caused such a ruckus?

Yes, the translator used a transphobic slur in one instance of NPC dialogue. You can read through the thread to get more context. The latest patch removed the transphobic slur and replaced it with the original (literal?) translated word, "newhalf".

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't know how to read Japanese you'll have a hard time, it relies heavily on text IIRC. You can always do it with a guide though.

Nope-4 is fine without knowledge of Japanese.

Ganbare Goemon 3 is really the only of the SNES games that requires knowledge of Japanese language in order to fully enjoy.

With 4, you might have to spend some time learning how to save and buy stuff, but it is a relatively straightforward 2D platformer/action game. There might be a few times that NPCs tell you to go do something, but I remember it always being pretty obvious.

I easily played through it a few years ago and would definitely recommend it if you are a fan of the series.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

The whole incident pretty much killed the wind in the group's sails, so it's up in the air on if it will even be finished. But "Never Say Never" I suppose

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
DDS is working on 4 behind the scenes if i remember correctly

Another group is pretty far along in translating one of the PS1 goemons. I expect that one to be released sometime late this year or the next.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info, demi and CO_Andy

I had been waiting for these for so long, I'm ashamed to admit I just havent had time to play them yet; same with Sakura Wars.

I did try Goemon 2 in coop mode and it gets tough quickly (there was some stage with rotating platforms that is impossible if you arent in perfect sync with player 2.

resetoeros1

May 30, 2018
How are these games compared to the original Mystical Ninja on SNES?

The money system just became kind of dull in the 2nd. In the original the system was more consistent. If you wanted to keep playing you couldnt lose because if so is GAME OVER(the passwords were so big and clumsy the purpose was to not use them lol.). And so to keep playing you wanted the money so you would risk your money into gambling and minigames to upgrade your armor, gain lifes, sleep. It was in point. But in Goemon 2 you can can save as much as you can, if you die you can play over and over as many times as you would like a level. It just lost its purpose. But to be honest, the money was not the only purpose of towns. They are set up like RPG towns, so it had its charm. Quirky characters saying funny things or putting their thoughts in the political situation. And part of why i like Goemon is this. The bad part is there are less minigames and some are revamped versions of the last game. Anyway the minigames lost part of its pourpose, the only time i decided to make some money was to fight the final boss. The game is for the most part easy.

In the end the game is good. The game had more levels and interesting mechanics on them. Also the sections on the robot are cool. The game gained on accesibility but lost some things in exchange. At least minigames are interesting to play at least once. I prefer Goemon 2 but i think the best game is Goemon 1/Mysitcal ninjaSNES.

For goemon 3 i cannot speak. Didnt play yet.

resetoeros1

May 30, 2018
Wow! A PS1 Goemon is close to being done. The amount of Goemon fan translations coming out at once is rather mind-blowing, and at such a rapid clip.

Victor Ireland is sitting on an unreleased fully localized PS2 Goemon. It was the last thing Working Designs worked on before they shut down.

Are you serious men? Can you give us the god send link? :,)

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
The patches for the last 3 Super Famicom Goemon games was released yesterday:

The Princess Yuki patch should be applied on the last revision of the Yuki Hime Kyuushutsu Emaki rom (REV 2 i think it was) or there will be problems with the ending.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
i still rember when i was a kid, i couldnt get past 3 at the begining that had a switch on the otherside of a barrier and i dont know jp. i just start pressing random buttons and holding it down too and figured out you can charge your coin throw to shoot thru barrier lol.
also there was that ps1 game that i couldnt get past the first area since i dont know what is the obj. probably i should find that game and replay it since i know more japanese now

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Tom back in action. I knew deep down he wouldn't give up his passion for translating.

I was not aware there was a fifth Goemon game on the SNES. Absolutely insane there were that many on the system.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic - I've always wanted to get into the series and now seems like the perfect time!

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Jeez, I was thrilled to see the fourth game's translation come out, but I somehow missed that they put out the translations for the Ebisumaru spinoff and Goemon 1. I guess that's what I get for not following the guy on twitter. But that was a conscious choice after a few months of following him.

Oh well, glad they're out. I have a lot of Goemon games to play now.

So far, in the last two years I've played through Goemon 1 and 2 for Famicom. I started Ganbare Goemon Gaiden on Famicom about 2 years ago, but I had a dumb save issue come up and lost some progress and didn't feel like replaying the (short) area I had just done. I recently got very far in the second SNES game, and I believe I'm on the last stage. After that, I have the other recently translated games to play through, as well as Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 on Famicom. And I really need to play the N64 games as well.