• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
After decades of translation attempts by many hackers, and no one being able to figure out the compression Konami used for this series, DDSTranslations has finally released translation patches for Ganbare Goemon 2 and Ganbare Goemon 3. The translation of the text and dozens upon dozens of graphics, signs, logos, and more looks so professional, you'd think Konami themselves made a modern translation of the game. Patches for Ganbare Goemon 4 and Soreyuke Ebisumaru Karakuri (a puzzle game) will also come out in the near future.

Most people are familiar with the first game of the series, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, and while the game is pretty good, the sequels (specially Goemon 2) are one of the finest and prettiest 2D games Konami has ever produced. Goemon 2 plays like a refined version of the 1st game, but this time there's a Super Mario World style world map making the game feel more like an adventure. The 3rd game of the series actually plays like A Link to the Past, but with platforming segments each time you enter a temple, or forest, etc.

There is a long history of people trying to hack (at least) Goemon 2 and no one was able to crack the compression. I remember there was a guy a couple of years ago at romhacking.net that was finally able to figure out how to decompress the data for one of the Goemon games, and I think that's what got the ball rolling to where we are here. Maybe someone with more experience can provide a timeline of what made these 4 translations possible after so many failed attempts.

Here are some screenshots, some are courtesy of Hardcore Gaming 101

Goemon 2
nCvGJ0L.png

Goemon 3
6VK7aVj.png

Also a reminder that all 4 Goemon games released for the Famicom are also translated. Two action games, and two RPGs.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Aw, SHIT.

I struggled through both of these games with the help of handy FAQs, a loooooong time ago. But I always hoped that somebody would actually translate it!

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Goemon 2 is PHENOMENAL. The fact that it was never brought over here is a tragedy. Can't wait to finally play Goemon 3!

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
DDSTranslations have really been on the ball this past year. Definitely a group to keep an eye on.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
One of my favorite games on SNES when I was a kid!
These sequels looks really nice graphically, and I had no idea there ever were sequels!!

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that DDSTranslation hates Era and has me on block on Twitter for being an Era member. :T

I guess there's some kind of ResetEra block list out there somewhere.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow, I was just looking these up the other day (thanks to that Konami visual) and was surprised they'd never been translated. Wasn't aware of the compression issues. I'd always wanted to see these on the Virtual Console or NSO, even untranslated, since I figured they'd be manageable. Will have to see how accurate that would have been.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that DDSTranslation hates Era and has me on block on Twitter for being an Era member. :T

I guess there's some kind of ResetEra block list out there somewhere.
Hahaha they have me blocked too? lmao ok I guess haha

Edit: oh haha go look at the kinds of people they're following. Notch, Trump, TenNapel, Scott Adams, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they're using some sort of resetera blocklist

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Holy cow, I've been following this off and on for the past several years. It's really and truly complete now??

I know what I'll be doing this weekend -- constantly cursing my way through those insanely frustrating Goemon Impact boss battles again. =D

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
Goemon 2 is easy to play through without knowing the language as it's a pretty straightforward platformer, but the added RPG elements in 3 made it basically impossible without a walkthrough, so this is great news. Glad to see them finally translated, if you haven't played these games they're some of the best the SNES has to offer!

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following the updates on this project for a while now and I'm so glad it finally came together. I only recently played through Mystical Ninja (SNES), MN64 and Goemon's Great Adventure within the last couple years. I'm so hyped to finally go on another co-op adventure!

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Pretty awesome, I was actually thinking about these games a few days ago. I had no idea there was a translation in the works.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it's finally here. I've been waiting to play Goemon 2 since i first laid my eyes on the game in EGM back in 92 or 93.

Oct 25, 2017

Goemon 2 is one of the most underrated SNES games out there. Check it out if you like platformers. I wasn't a big fan of Goemon 3. It tried real hard to copy LTTP but wasn't that fun. It was real cool seeing the Wiseman's Castle redesigned, though.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Best news I've read in a while. I've been wanted these forever! Can't wait to finally play these games and know what the hell I'm doing.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the N64 days, Legend of the Mystical Ninja was one of my favorite games that generation. Kinda curious about these since I've never played them

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh, milkshake ducked.
Eh, this was more me saying "oh of course they'd use some sort of shitty blocklist" than any attempt to "cancel" them or anything. If they translations are good, who cares who made them? It's not like they're asking for money for them or using the translations to push any sort of agenda.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
Hallelujah!
I knew the part 2 one was coming soonish, but 3 being out is an unexpected surprise.
And to get confirmation that one for part 4 will come eventually is awesome.

What a great day!

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Eh, this was more me saying "oh of course they'd use some sort of shitty blocklist" than any attempt to "cancel" them or anything. If they translations are good, who cares who made them? It's not like they're asking for money for them or using the translations to push any sort of agenda.

Yeah, I don't follow them on Twitter so I'm not exactly familiar with the crew and just check up every now and then. The important thing is that they do quality work and have been tackling some holy grail titles that have been neglected for over 20 years.

As long as those other shenanigans don't interfere, I'm just glad somebody is delivering the goods.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

There actually was a fan translator who had put weird right wing messages in their game that weren't there originally but looking at this guy's work I don't think it was him. I can't remember the game either...

EDIT: Daikaiju Monogatari!

Also blocked too! This seems counterproductive to get word out? Chuds gonna chud I guess.

Last edited:

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
There actually was a fan translator who had put weird right wing messages in their game that weren't there originally but looking at this guy's work I don't think it was him. I can't remember the game either....

Also blocked too! This seems counterproductive to get word out? Chuds gonna chud I guess.
That's Wildbill. I've played a couple of his translations and didn't find any rightwing propaganda, but i have seen some examples from other games he has translated.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This is really cool. Goemon is one of Konami's (many) excellent classic franchises but one I think a lot of people haven't fully explored due to all the gaps in localization.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Goemon/Mystical Ninja games have been secretly one of the best series in gaming denied to the West. Can't wait to actually try these out in the near future.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Long have I waited. From what little I played way back with a friend on znes ages ago GG2 was such an amazingly fun co-op game.

It would be so cool for Konami to work with these guys to get a legit Goemon collection going. I think a shockingly large amount of Goemon games have been fan-translated now. Like at least 4 on NES alone.