• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I thought I should catalog what's going on with me since I'm running low on laptop battery & shit is hitting the fan over here. As you may know, Houston got hit with a tropical storm. My school, being as thick-headed as they are, decided to still run school today despite that. Now we're trapped on campus due to the flooding. As of now, I'm here with my girlfriend (yes, she & I got back together after we worked things out, but I'm still gonna work on my argumentative nature so I can be a better person) as well as another theatre friend of mine. We initially watched Endgame, but now we're stocking up on food from the campus cafeteria since the school is paying for all of it. My girlfriend's dad's girlfriend should be able to pick her up in the next few hours, but said theatre friend & I may be stuck here overnight (especially me since I live a fair bit away from campus).

While my phone & Switch both have chargers, I'm not sure how much longer my laptop is gonna last (I'm at 24% as of when I typed this). I should be fine, but the whole situation is kinda concerning me. If nothing else, the three of us are in a locked part of the campus away from everyone else, so we shouldn't have to worry about thieves & whatnot. Hopefully we can all get home soon, our families are likely worried sick.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
stay safe. kinda crazy seeing that they didn't cancel, but I have no experience with any tropical storm or worse. hoping for the best

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey they say anything about classes tomorrow? I have one at 10 AM and I want to know whether I should bother making the 1.5 hour commute.

Stay safe.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
when i read trapped on campus my mind went to a much darker place. Stay safe OP.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Stay safe, both of you.

Don't care what my school says, I wouldn't be going in if the weather is crazy out.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Both of my parents work at elementary schools in Spring Branch ISD and they are just as baffled as to why they decided to hold classes today. They had to wait until like 7PM until all the children were delivered home.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Bro are we at the same university?

My college (in Houston) decided to not cancel class today. I actually sent the head of the emergency stuff an angry email pointing out how ridiculous it was especially considering they sent us an email saying Houston and Harris County officials are urging everyone to stay where they are followed up with a notice that class isn't cancelled. Eventually they cancelled class but not till like 1:30pm after pretty much all the off-campus students were stuck on campus and most students had attended at least some if not most of their classes

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Work did the same thing to me. Yesterday "oh it's heading east y'all are coming in tomorrow" then we get there at 9 and all hell breaks loose, so they start sending us home. I barely made it out before it got really bad and half of us were stranded at the office- some of them had tried to evacuate but traffic and flooding was so bad they turned around and went back.

Everyone's been locked in right where they were when the flooding started, but hopefully it's been calm enough now to where they could get home.

I can't believe the schools though. A few of my coworkers said the campuses that didn't flood weren't allowing early dismissal so they couldn't go get their kids early either. So what, they just have to wait until it's too late and *then* tell parents to fight traffic and flooding to try and get their children???

Edit: Superintendent Responds

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Dumbass schools
We cancelled schools here in FL for that hurricane that didn't even hit us
Better safe than sorry

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of Atlanta Snowjam 2014.
There was little communication, and despite weather warnings, everyone went to work/school, then by the time everyone realized it was serious, it was too late, and got caught in the ensuing chaos.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on my twitter feed. This is a school in the biggest school district in Houston.

As a former teacher of this school district...I'm not too surprised this happened :\

If Texas had unions or workers rights of any kind this shit would not happen. Unfortunately since getting an employer to cancel work/school can sometimes be like pulling teeth, I'm not surprised this happened.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I almost flooded out my car getting home today. I saw worse flooding in my area than I did with Harvey.

I was in Spring during Harvey, but I believe you.

The flooding was just ALL OF THE SUDDEN (yeah, I know that's why it's called flash flooding) but it's just so weird because it *seems* like the rain has been way worse plenty of times before but didn't cause this kind of flooding. I almost made the mistake of going down studemont under the train tracks but luckily I saw a few cars underwater with their roofs poking out so I didn't make the turn.

Glad you're okay though. A buddy of mine just texted me that he had to abandon his SUV and walk home with his infant in a bad part of town. :(

For what it's worth, my girlfriend, my friend, & later myself all got home safely (with 15% laptop battery to spare in my case).

Good to hear!

Oct 26, 2017
Stay safe fellow Houstonians. I got family in Dickinson I may need to get over here if things escalate but apparently the roads there are clear as of this post. Just worried because Harvey really put that entire area under water

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Bro are we at the same university?

My college (in Houston) decided to not cancel class today. I actually sent the head of the emergency stuff an angry email pointing out how ridiculous it was especially considering they sent us an email saying Houston and Harris County officials are urging everyone to stay where they are followed up with a notice that class isn't cancelled. Eventually they cancelled class but not till like 1:30pm after pretty much all the off-campus students were stuck on campus and most students had attended at least some if not most of their classes
My school cancelled classes right at 1 PM, when my class was just about to get started.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What kind of moron authorized this
Tropical storm nothing, we need butts in seats at schools
you guys act like this shit is easy to figure out.

my kids school was closed wednesday, and we didnt get a drop of rain. They were open yesterday it got so bad that i ended up going to get them at 130 for fear that it would keep raining and they would be stuck there.