• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They call potatoes patatas

For real, Madrid is a nice city. I liked Barcelona more, but Madrid has some cool sights like the royal palace, some delicious food, and iirc, Toledo is close by and makes for a good day trip. There's some great art galleries in Madrid, too, if you're into that. Got to see Picasso's Guernica in Madrid, and that was great

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Walk around a lot, and visit the art galleries, for which you may want to book tickets in advance.

El Prado is a full day of visit, easily. There's huge queues so you definitely want to book for that in advance. The Reina Sofía museum of modern art is amazing, if you are really into art the Thyssen museum is also really good.

Other than that, you really want to walk around the centre a lot, see some of the more special neighbourhoods like Lavapiés and Malasaña, the historical centre, etc. Get some food, but avoid the tourist traps.

The royal palace is supposed to be a good visit, I never saw it personally, and the park of El Retiro is also nice.

If you have more time, you can go to Toledo, San Lorenzo del Escorial, or even Segovia.

Maybe you wanna see a football match, Atlético plays at home on the tenth (Maybe too early) and Real plays at home on the 24th (Maybe too late?)

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No entiendo. Habla ingles? If someone turns around, you better do too. Your future relationship has ended.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Walk around a lot, and visit the art galleries, for which you may want to book tickets in advance.

El Prado is a full day of visit, easily. There's huge queues so you definitely want to book for that in advance. The Reina Sofía museum of modern art is amazing, if you are really into art the Thyssen museum is also really good.

Other than that, you really want to walk around the centre a lot, see some of the more special neighbourhoods like Lavapiés and Malasaña, the historical centre, etc. Get some food, but avoid the tourist traps.

The royal palace is supposed to be a good visit, I never saw it personally, and the park of El Retiro is also nice.

If you have more time, you can go to Toledo, San Lorenzo del Escorial, or even Segovia.

Maybe you wanna see a football match, Atlético plays at home on the tenth (Maybe too early) and Real plays at home on the 24th (Maybe too late?)
This and I'll add get on the roof of the Circulo of Bellas artes to have a drink and enjoy some nice vistas of the city.
Enjoy your stay 😊

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Never ever wear shorts in madrid. Itll probably be too cold then but dont do it. Also go to a real madrid game

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also don't sleep on probably the best nightlife city in the world. Party 24/7.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Keep a tight grip in your belongings in touristey areas. Don't walk in front of the mime in Puerta del Sol plaza, he will make hundreds of people laugh at you. Order the fried goat cheese and the boar tapas at a place called Minibar. Have a nice walk in parque del retiro.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Was just in Madrid a few weeks ago!

Was only there for two days, but it's a nice little city and easily walkable.

My stops were El Prado, the Palace, and Plaza Mayor.

The Palace is very cool, I recommend.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Ask them about "el agua de Madrid".
I've heard it's really fresh :p
Yeah, madrileños are like New Yorkers, always bragging about the tap water lol.
Don't forget a relaxing cup of café con leche in Plaza Mayor!*

*Inside spanish joke
Lol, actually don't have anything in the Plaza Mayor, but do have a chocolate with churros in San Ginés nearby, it's a legit good place.
Also don't sleep on probably the best nightlife city in the world. Party 24/7.
I have been living here for a few years now and it still overwhelms me, the amount of people who are out every night.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also if you go to a football match, stay away from Real Madrid. They are a disgusting club. Go see an Atlético de Madrid match. 😎

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Insult the quality of their tap water.

Edit: I was too late.

Madrilenos every time they drink tap water:

hjmiga2k5ju21.png

Last edited:

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, madrileños are like New Yorkers, always bragging about the tap water lol.

Lol, actually don't have anything in the Plaza Mayor, but do have a chocolate with churros in San Ginés nearby, it's a legit good place.

I have been living here for a few years now and it still overwhelms me, the amount of people who are out every night.

Oh is that churro place the one where you can ask for a cup of white, milk, or dark chocolate? That was delicious

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to get your mind blown in the churros world go to La Cocktelería in Ciudad Lineal.
HUGE porras (another variety of churros).

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
What sort of weather/temperature are we looking at for November? I was considering a long weekend in a few weeks to either Spain or Stockholm (I'd originally booked the time off to play Death Stranding but could do with the break after going through some bad shit in my personal life).

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Do you speak any Spanish? Spain does not have the best reputation for having ubiquitous English speakers but I didn't have many problems in Madrid. I actually found a lot of English speakers when I was there, mostly younger folk though, and didn't have many problems with my poor Spanish. I pretty much got by just saying "claro" or "vale" a lot.

You should know basic stuff about food, like that some bars/restaurants will close during siesta, and at lunch you'll want to look for the menú del día (basically a fixed price meal with two courses, drink and sometimes dessert). Carta is Spanish for menu, don't get them confused. If you want beer order a caña, this is basically a small glass about a half pint. Don't get paella in Madrid, it's not authentic and is just used to bait unsuspecting tourists.

One thing about Spain (and Madrid especially) that nobody told me before I went - there are tons of great pastelerías and bakeries in Madrid. And I'm not talking about churros, I'm talking about napolitanas and other pastries. If you have a sweet tooth, you will be in heaven.

Madrid is a lot like NYC, lot of people, lot of tourists, very crowded in the major pedestrian areas. A lot of very beautiful, pleasant neighborhoods though once you get outside of the center. One thing I will note, and this happened everywhere in Spain, I am a blond haired man and I got stared at a lot by people when I was walking around. I guess blond hair is not that common in Spain.

If you like art you should definitely one of the big 3 museums (Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen). They get very busy even in the "off season" so you should look into getting tickets as soon as possible. I've listed in these order of size and amount of time they are likely to take. Prado is basically the house of Velazquez and Goya, so if you're really interested in the height of Spanish art, visit that. Reina Sofia and Thyssen are better for a modern art lover, but Thyssen will be much less crowded than the other two. There's a pass available that gets you entrance to all three and it's good for like a year or something, so if you don't see them all and are ever able to get back, you can visit the ones you missed.