• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The game is so fun. Had a ball with the gameplay and gimmicks. Beat it 2 times (and a half) and definitely will jump back in with this new content.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
So.....all the games that get t-shirts in this game come to Switch right? RIGHT?

I want Wind Walker HD on Switch so much

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Out of curiosity did you run through the game in 1 longer sitting or break it up? I found the gameplay just engaging enough and had a lot of fun with it personally, but I only played < 1 hour at a time most of the time, or maybe 1 death drive game per day, so curious if the length of play sessions changes the impression.
IIRC I played the game in 7-8 sessions. I finished Sekiro a Saturday morning, played some TSA during the rest of the weekend (the first 3-4 DD games), and then finished the game by the next tuesday playing an hour or two after work during 2 days. I didn't rush it by any means, but the game is really short, and as the gameplay is indeed repetitive and limited, I took a break after every new "game" or sometimes even midgame. As the Switch is really convenient to use in sleep mode, I had the chance to play the game without too much dead time.

Even so, I felt that most big indie games have far better gameplay and that TSA is really repetitive (especially Life is Destroy). I enjoyed far more the VN retro novels than any of the "games".

So.....all the games that get t-shirts in this game come to Switch right? RIGHT?

I want Wind Walker HD on Switch so much
As much as I would love for that to be the case, I don't think that we're seeing Siren on Nintendo hardware anytime soon. If there is some consolation for that, I also don't think we'll be seeing it on Sony hardware anytime soon, either.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Should I play NMH2 before TSA? I own both already, but I never got the chance to play 2 and I would rather go straight to TSA cause I don't feel like connecting my Wii and the CRT at the moment :P

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should I play NMH2 before TSA? I own both already, but I never got the chance to play 2 and I would rather go straight to TSA cause I don't feel like connecting my Wii and the CRT at the moment :P
NMH2's story doesn't really have too much of an actual bearing on TSA since it's a brand new story they're following. Only get NMH2 if you want a straight, if not somewhat sanitized and anemic sequel to the original. The production values are better overall but writing, enemy design, story, style, and overall structure is generally a step down. About the only thing that the sequel improves on is the music, which isn't something to scoff at considering how good the original's OST was. It feels like a No More Heroes game made by someone who watched trailers of the original rather than having actually played them to dig deep into the intricacies.

Still an alright game if you're hankering for some NMH, but it's not necessary if you want to jump into TSA.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! I was worried they might do some bait and switch with playable Bad Girl but we get the real deal!

Also I might buy Dragon's Dogma switch just for the Travis pawn

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
NMH2's story doesn't really have too much of an actual bearing on TSA since it's a brand new story they're following. Only get NMH2 if you want a straight, if not somewhat sanitized and anemic sequel to the original. The production values are better overall but writing, enemy design, story, style, and overall structure is generally a step down. About the only thing that the sequel improves on is the music, which isn't something to scoff at considering how good the original's OST was. It feels like a No More Heroes game made by someone who watched trailers of the original rather than having actually played them to dig deep into the intricacies.

Still an alright game if you're hankering for some NMH, but it's not necessary if you want to jump into TSA.
Straight to TSA then (I'll play NMH2 eventually, tho). Thanks! :)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, rewatching the trailer I just noticed that it comes out this week! That's awesome

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Simply amazing. Maybe I'll pick up Dragon's Dogma.

I hate time attack stages with a passion though. I'll play it though after it comes out on TSA.

Travis Touchdown better be in Smash, Sakurai!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it looks really bad (most of the stages seem made using a free asset pack) and plays far worse than any of the indies the game tries to mimmick.
Unremarkable is the worst the game can look and it's combat feels solid, let alone it being the most polished NMH has ever had.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Unremarkable is the worst the game can look and it's combat feels solid, let alone it being the most polished NMH has ever had.
Unremarkable is how 80% of the game looks (talking about art, the IQ is always bad and even worse, it runs poorly often), the game looks decent at its best and ulgy at its worst (Life is Destroy and the donut forest both look really really bad even for indie standards).

The combat feels as solid as simplistic, as I've said any of the indie games the game references plays and looks better, even on the same system. And I remember having a lot more fun with NMH2, the first game was really rough but the sequel looks and play better, and even if it was not a polished game at least it was kind of original and had memorable bossfights.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unremarkable is how 80% of the game looks (talking about art, the IQ is always bad and even worse, it runs poorly often), the game looks decent at its best and ulgy at its worst (Life is Destroy and the donut forest both look really really bad even for indie standards).

This is nonsense. Digital Foundry's analysis has the game's performance at an extremely consistent 60fps, only dipping in "rare"/specific spots (the forest area in Coffee and Doughnuts being one example).

NMH2 most definitely did not play better than the original either, especially with its awful enemy designs.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Digital Foundry's analysis has the game's performance at an extremely consistent 60fps, only dipping in "rare"/specific spots (the forest area in Coffee and Doughnuts being one example).
Regardless of what Digital Foundry said, I noticed lots of framedrops, mostly related to situations wih lots of enemies onscreen. It was never bad, but it was frequent enough and surprising considering the extemely simplistic enemy models/textures (bosses aside).

NMH2 most definitely did not play better than the original either, especially with its awful enemy designs.
I remember the combat being more fun (different weapons and a better moveset) and the area design more varied and far less repetitive than in the first game. Also, the retro minigames in NMH2 were a better retro/indie homage than anything in TSA. When Suda said the "6 different games" thing I expected basically an improvement on the minigames from NMH2, but what we got is basically 1 single game with minimun mechanical changes between the different sections.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the combat being more fun (different weapons and a better moveset) and the area design more varied and far less repetitive than in the first game.

Rank 4 and 2 levels were pure tedium incomparable to anything in the original, which is compounded by the abundance of health sponges that can stunlock you way too easily. The combat isn't actually that different from the original outside of being able to switch katanas on the fly, though given that Peony is stupidly overpowered, being able to switch katanas is a formality, really.

Also, the retro minigames in NMH2 were a better retro/indie homage than anything in TSA. When Suda said the "6 different games" thing I expected basically an improvement on the minigames from NMH2, but what we got is basically 1 single game with minimun mechanical changes between the different sections.

The game was marketed from day one as a hack and slash, and you can find info and interviews all the way back from the reveal trailer that explained how the games would work.

I don't know how NMH2's minigames are better "retro/indie" homages. Just because they're 8-bit I guess? TSA isn't hurting in the presentation department in the slightest, between C&D being a huge throwback to PS1 titles and Human Entertainment/Suda's own games with the sidescroller/non-linear approach, GDGP being one massive love letter to Zero4 Champ, LID's Hotline Miami x Murder Mystery, Secret Moonlight which.. well, yeah, goes without saying, etc.

I get not liking the combat but I can't for the life of me imagine anyone faulting its presentation. The game is dynamite in this regard.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what Digital Foundry said, I noticed lots of framedrops, mostly related to situations wih lots of enemies onscreen. It was never bad, but it was frequent enough and surprising considering the extemely simplistic enemy models/textures (bosses aside).

Nope, the game holds its framerate very well. You probably noticed wrong.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
TSA isn't hurting in the presentation department in the slightest, between C&D being a huge throwback to PS1 titles and Human Entertainment/Suda's own games with the sidescroller/non-linear approach, GDGP being one massive love letter to Zero4 Champ, LID's Hotline Miami x Murder Mystery, Secret Moonlight which.. well, yeah, goes without saying, etc.

I get not liking the combat but I can't for the life of me imagine anyone faulting its presentation. The game is dynamite in this regard.
I disagree. While the cutscenes, VN sections and the gaming magazines are really well done, the "ingame" presentation is really poor. As I've said before, lots of stock assets everywhere and simplistic/boring stages. I mean, GDGP is basically a repeated set of the same rooms/corridors with the occasional """racing""" minigame. And the same for the other "games", maybe the first one was the one with the best presentation. I can get the homage thing, but aside from some slight camera angle differences, you can use most of the stages from any of the 6 sections and put it in another one and nobody will notice. And tbh Secret Moonlight looks like any smartphone dungeon crawler game, it has no artistic touch. Putting some pixelated corpses in the last section doesn't make it Hotline Miami either.

Nope, the game holds its framerate very well. You probably noticed wrong.
I know what I can and can't trust, and my eyes take top priority in the list.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And tbh Secret Moonlight looks like any smartphone dungeon crawler game, it has no artistic touch.

Man I literally have no response to this but considering your subsequent sentence I get the impression you either misunderstood, misinterpreted or even mixed up some stuff about the game so whatever.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TSA is probably the single most interesting NMH in terms of environments. There are several areas I genuinely love the visual design for in this game. I can barley remember the stages in the previous games.

Also I though Serious Moonlight looked really cool.
And I'd never even played Shadows of the Damned.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Man I literally have no response to this but considering your subsequent sentence I get the impression you either misunderstood, misinterpreted or even mixed up some stuff about the game so whatever.
I only know what I played and what I felt while playing. As I've said before I understand some of the "homage" feeling from the game, but even so it felt graphically bland to me most of the time. As I've said countless times, the game lacks the visual identity of any of the games that tries to mimmick, not in the menus or some of the extras but in the gameplay graphics itself.

TSA is probably the single most interesting NMH in terms of environments. There are several areas I genuinely love the visual design for in this game. I can barley remember the stages in the previous games.
I agree and disagree. It's true that the two first games have no interesting areas (in fact I can only remember a school, a bank, a baseball stadium and a mansion from the games, and even these more "memorable areas" were quite bland). I also remember some boss arenas but that's all.

But I'm sure than in 6 weeks I won't be able to remember anything from TSA aside from the crazy plot and the repetitive gameplay.