• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be picking up Travis Strikes Again at launch?

• Yes!

Votes: 350 73.5%
  • No.

Votes: 126 26.5%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
tumblr_ovie24Px211qzp9weo1_640.gif

With the oncoming release of Travis Strikes Again, I figured I'd use this opportunity to create a thread for those that are unsure of what this game is exactly. There's been a lot of misinformation and general confusion going around which I hope to quell by offering a sort of comprehensive info roundup. I'll be updating this thread with any new information as it comes out.

Please don't remove this thread. It's absolutely imperative that it stays open considering how much confusion there is surrounding this game. I wouldn't want people to pass on it because Nintendo and Suda keep showing off the first game. I'd like to use this thread as a sort of means to answer questions people have on TSA.

WcoqjL9.png

Travis Strikes Again is the third entry in iconoclast gamemaker Goichi "Suda51" Suda's No More Heroes series. Announced at the Nintendo Presentation 2017 exclusively for the Nintendo Switch, Travis Strikes Again chronicles the titular protagonist and otaku assassin Travis Touchdown and his fate seven years after Desperate Struggle. Now a recluse living with his cat Jeane in a trailer, a former baseball player turned assassin by the name of Badman seeks to kill Travis as revenge for killing his daughter in the first game. As the two clash, they're sucked into the Death Drive Mark II video game console.

Stuck in the console, the pair's only way out is to fight their way through seven different games and facing each game's respective bosses. Urban legends surrounding the Death Drive state that the first person to complete all games is given a wish. Badman hopes to complete all the games to resurrect his beloved daughter.

1960357.jpg

FHR6RXp.png

tumblr_p5avjpoOhD1u2d2qeo3_r1_500.gif

Travis Strikes Again is largely an isometric hack-and-slash deviating from the previous two entries. The player is given the option to go through the game as either Travis or Badman. While Travis makes use of his trusty beam katana, Badman wrecks havoc with his trusty bat. Both Travis and Badman have access to unique special attacks and super moves.

In the game, players will have to collect 24 skill chips, some for Travis and a few for Badman. You'll get to choose 4 chips to take with you when entering a game world. By holding the left bumper and combining it with a face button, Travis can place the skills the player has earned into slots. According to GameInformer, Travis has a skill that can call in an airstrike and Badman has one that allows him to slow enemies down.

As Travis and Badman strike enemies, they lose power in their weapons, just like in the original No More Heroes games. In the Wii titles, Travis had to shake the controller up and down to recharge. That functionality is retained here, by holding in the left analog stick and shaking the controller, Travis regains beam saber functionality in pips. This can be done with any of the game's supported controllers, like the joycons, dual-joycons, Pro controller, or handheld mode. Thankfully, aside from the single-joycon option, all other controllers let you just press in the left analog stick and then oscillate the right analog up and down to charge. It's quite a bit more consistent, especially in the heat of battle.

Travis Strikes Again can also be played with a friend where one assumes the role of Travis and the other Badman, simply pass them a joycon and get going! If players choose to play in co-op, they will have access to specific co-op charge attacks moves that can be performed together.

Travis Strikes Again runs at 60fps.

The main enemies that the reluctant duo face in Travis Strikes Again are bugs - physical manifestations of video game errors and the like. Killing bugs provide Travis/Badman with LB$ which presumably they can use to buy shirts and upgrade abilities.

How Travis Strikes Again's gameplay loop works is as follows
  • Travis/Badman must find physical copies of the games (Death Ball) in Adventure Mode
  • You enter the game world
  • Beat it

and repeat.

RPXcsqC.png

Adventure Mode (pictured above) is stylized as an old-school visual novel style adventure game. It will be split into six different text adventures called "Travis Strikes Back" and offer completely different content from the main game. The adventure mode has been described as a lot more comedic in tone to the rest of the game and will likely contain that classic Suda humor we all know and love. A large part of the game will be during adventure mode.

There seems to be this common misconception that the game is simply you running through these worlds but there are moments for downtime too just like the previous games. You are free to explore Travis' trailer at any time.

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_08-31-18_001.png

Players can choose to chill in Travis' trailer and engage in activities such as eating Ramen, admiring your wardrobe or playing with Jeane. Oh, and we can't forget this, can we?

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_08-31-18_002.png

H7G0lRw.png

In Travis Strikes Again, Travis and Badman are faced with seven different games that they must beat. From open-worlds, to racing games, each one is different from the last. Suda took inspiration for the games from certain games that he played in his childhood. For example, you can clearly see the Zero4 Champ influences in Gold Dragon GP. Each game has their own respective bosses that the player must beat in order to proceed. There have been six confirmed so far with a secret seven in the works. Each game has a certain amount of levels in them to complete.

travis-strikes-again-1.jpg

travis-strikes-again-2.jpg

Credit to Booga for shedding light on some of the games here.

Electric Thunder Tiger 2 - Isometric hack-and-slash, 4 levels + 1 boss arena shown off so far

3hSUiXd.png

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_03-20-18_003.png

Coffee & Doughnuts - 2.5D Side-scroller. 2 levels shown-off so far

travis-strikes-again-10.jpg

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_08-31-18_011.png

Killer Marathon - An overhead, Smash TV style arena survival game with a TV game show aesthetic. Might have sections where you play pinball. For reference, Smash TV looks like this.

RSwVjat.png

latest

Golden Dragon GP - An RPG/story based racing game akin to Zero4 Champ with a Tron-style aesthetic

x9EXTyZ.png

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_08-31-18_013.png

Life is Destroy - Puzzle-horror in which you have navigate a quaint residential area while avoiding traps and fighting enemies. Has live-action cutscenes.

8nHdv1h.png

tsa1.png

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes_2018_08-31-18_007.png

Serious Moonlight - Suda describes this as an AAA game with an open-world. It is the largest and lengthiest of the games.

971.gif

Secret Seventh Game - Takes place in a modern city revolving a demon hunter who uses a golden gun. Said character appears in a game-within-a-game. Suda states it is linked to Killer7 somehow.

nmh31_thumb.png

IQ1nYmJ.png

When Travis Strikes Again got announced, there was this large misconception that Travis would be venturing into six different indie-game worlds. That is not the case. Instead, the indie collaboration is in the form of shirts from various different indie games that Travis can wear. However, Hotline Miami is the exception to this rule which will have deeper integration within the game itself. This Hotline Miami illustration of Travis done by Dennis Wedin will appear in the game in some form.

Dl8T0dbU4AAk7LK.jpg

It is unknown at this time whether Badman can equip shirts. Initially, Suda was aiming for 51 shirts (lol) but now they're closer to 60. Supposedly there's a few ones from AAA games we haven't seen yet.

Suda and Nintendo approached the different indie developers in order to collaborate with them. Suda originally planned on recreating some indie games in Travis Strikes Again but came to the realization that it would require double and triple checks in order for it to be true to the original. Something like this would add to development time considerably which is why it was scrapped.

Dl8zkYDVAAACbg2.jpg:large

DrjmGe3XQAE5NeM.jpg

travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes-indie-collaboration-shirts-2.jpg

DtP9Z2-WsAAxJKj.jpg

(the GOAT)

WThtzCH.png

Q: Release Date? Pricing? File Size? Is there a season pass? What's the post launch like?
Travis Strikes Again will release on 18th January 2019 for the small and meagre price of $40/£30 (physical). Note that the physical versions of the game are all pacakaged with the season pass code which is why they're considerably pricier. Digital buyers have access to two variants, standalone or a bundle edition which includes the season pass. They're £24.99/$30 and $40/£34.99 respectively.

149007.png

The game is 5.6GB and two sets of DLC are planned. Details will be announced at a later date. Suda states that long time NMH fans will be happy with the DLC. There are also plans to work in a separate adventure mode for Badman into the DLC.

There may potentially be another season pass according to Suda in his interview with Jonneh

Q: How long is Travis Strikes Again?
A: Thanks to salromano, we know that Travis Strikes Again will be as long as the previous two entries. Nintendosoup are convinced the game is around 10 hours.

Q: Is there a pre-load? When can I pre-order?
A: The pre-order and pre-load is live now on the eShop!

Q: Do I need to play the first two games to enjoy this one?
A: Nope, not at all! Suda has stated that he's designed this game in a way that accommodates newer players and brings them into the series. You don't necessarily have to be aware of Travis' previous exploits to understand the plot of this game. The aim is to use this game as a jumping-off point for a potential No More Heroes 3.

Q: Is there voice acting?
A: There is partial voice acting. Robin Atkin Downes will reprise his role as Travis Touchdown.

Q: Who's publishing this game?
A: Grasshopper Manufacture is self-publishing this game. Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe will be distributing the physical version.

Q: Why isn't this No More Heroes 3?
A: Because Suda has gone on record to state that he's been wanting to work on a new project with a smaller-sized development like the GhM of old. A project of this scale allows him to have full artistic freedom in crafting the game he wants to make without any restraints. Suda still sees him and GhM as indie developers which is why Travis Strikes Again imbues that indie spirit.

I also wanted to work with indie developers because I still see myself and Grasshopper as indie creators, which is how we began, and I wanted to show my support for these guys and help get the word out as I feel that what they're doing is truly great and they really deserve all the recognition they can get.

Q: How many people are developing this game?
A: There isn't a concrete number but Suda has described the team's size as "small". Probably 10-15.

Q: Who's composing this?
A: DJ Abo and DJ 1-2. There's been speculation that Masafumi Takada (composer of the previous games and other GhM projects) has cooked up a special track for this game but those claims are unsubstantiated so take that with a grain of salt.

Q: Why is Unreal Engine being plastered all over this game's marketing and universe?
A: Other than the fact that the game is being built in UE4, the in-universe explanation for why Travis has an Unreal Engine shirt is that the game's being made for the Death Drive MK-II have actually been built in UE4 which is really fucking meta. Epic Games have given Suda and GhM the all-clear to do this which is neat.

Q: Who's the amazing artist behind the promotional material?
A: That's b0neface. British-born artist who's worked on various different stuff. When it comes to video games, he did the sublime Hotline Miami JP cover.

Q: Can this game be played with a single joy-con?
A: Yes!

Q: Is this still in?

tumblr_m0agi5w4HH1r28uwwo1_500.gif

xkIOYUp.png

Q: When can we see more of the game before launch?
A: Suda will be livestreaming it on Famitsu's YouTube channel next week. He'll be making a huge announcement.

zO5knGN.png

NMH-Travis-Strikes-Back_11-05-18.jpg

QXU0kyS.jpg

ZgZSCHK.jpg

ehKxvue.jpg

gOTqp8J.jpg

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Good to know i dont need to play NMH1&2 before this.
Excited to jump in to this series with this game.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Please add the things in this post into your important thread. It seems the game is much more varied than you give even credit for.
Could you be more specific please? What am I missing? I've already added the details of each game in the OP.
Is it known if we have to unlock those shirts in the game?

I'd like to don the Hollow Knight t-shirt immideately.
You can collect LB$ in the game by killing enemies so it's assumed that you buy them.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Could you be more specific please? What am I missing? I've already added the details of each game in the OP.

Sorry I somehow didn't see the game entries in the post at all. Or did I post this before you edited them in?

Hopefully the games are as varied as they seem to be. Especially waiting to see what the Killer Marathon looks like.

Thanks for the thread. This was needed.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I didn't know there was a game with live action cutscenes. Gotta stop checking out info on this game until it comes out.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing I've seen so far has made me want to buy at launch, but I'll watch the livestreaming.
I didn't know it was 40€, maybe I'll bite anyway, if only to help NMH3 come to fruition.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
What is this? Looks like an OT in early access.

I'm down for this game whenever Nintendo of Europe decides to put up the physical copy for pre-order on any of the stories I use.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Depends, is it still gonna be physical? I pre-ordered it, but the order was cancelled today.

Oct 25, 2017
What is this? Looks like an OT in early access.

I'm down for this game whenever Nintendo of Europe decides to put up the physical copy for pre-order on any of the stories I use.
We've had this problem once before with the SFV "Buyer's Guide" thread which was two and a half weeks before launch. This one is basically a month before launch, but the principle is the same.

I guess considering we realistically need to be clear on what exactly is this game, it's more tolerable.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Excellent work op. You should add relevant info after the blowout next week and have the mods convert this into the official thread. I was considering making one but you've clearly got all the ingredients for one right here.

And just really beautifully put together.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Loved the voice acting in the first NMH, shame its absent here :(
I think it's partial tbh. You've got Travis saying special moves and when you select him, he has a few new lines which are definitely voiced by Downes. It's just in the moments where he's speaking to another character it's replaced with garbles and gibberish. Also wasn't the game suppose to have a cinematic at the start? Maybe we'll hear him in his full glory there.
Excellent work op. You should add relevant info after the blowout next week and have the mods convert this into the official thread. I was considering making one but you've clearly got all the ingredients for one right here.

And just really beautifully put together.
Thanks!

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I think it's partial tbh. You've got Travis saying special moves and when you select him, he has a few new lines which are definitely voiced by Downes. It's just in the moments where he's speaking to another character it's replaced with garbles and gibberish. Also wasn't the game suppose to have a cinematic at the start? Maybe we'll hear him in his full glory there.

Thanks!
From the looks of screens and trailer bits, it appears there are going to be quite a few CGI (and even a full motion video) cutscenes. Since it was very early in development that they said there wasn't VO, I wonder if perhaps they did end up putting in a little after all. Even if they didn't , I like it when games to the "blips" instead of words thing. And it works great in this context.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
If they announced a line of t-shirts that match those from the games I'd go broke in less than 10 minutes. Suda should launch his own brand as a part-time job.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bossfight againt Generic SheepMan looks so good. Too bad GameInformer couldn't get how to drive the thing lol.

EDIT: Part time jobs are back!

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
It's really tiring that in every youtube video of this game there are negative comments that don't understand the game at all, nor the franchise nor Suda himself. They talk like the original games were AAA games or something

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Woah, nice one! This came outta nowhere lol.
It makes sense, that maybe they are going to allow videos to trickle out till the info blowout next week. That's what it seems like.

Also, this video confirms that you do not have to shake your joycon to charge the beam katana. You can gold a button and wiggle the analog stick. Thank goodness.

I like how in Golden Dragon GP Travis isn't wearing his shoes in the tatami mat room. Very in keeping with Japanese tradition.
also, yet more gameplay vids. Shows a bunch the other video doesn't and the player actually does good at Golden Dragon GP

and from IGN

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hmmm. I wish the physical game had license for dlc tied to cart instead of a voucher.

That makes me hesitate picking it up at launch

Arael

Mar 19, 2018
It's really tiring that in every youtube video of this game there are negative comments that don't understand the game at all, nor the franchise nor Suda himself. They talk like the original games were AAA games or something
Yes, I agree, thank you. Everyone's nostalgic for an NMH that doesn't exist. It has always been a janky, low-budget action game that is unique through its Suda weirdness, satire and style, which describes TSA perfectly. Suda's always been touted as a punk dev who makes what he wants, but when he gets a chance to actually make something new for the first time in years, everybody treats it like a corporate product to be ridiculed. He's so misunderstood.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
License for DLC? I don't understand what that means.

Treating DLC as regular updates, not needing a one time voucher code to redeem it.
That's how Darkest Dungeon ancestral edition worked on Switch. All DLC is tied to the cart, even if not originally included. With a voucher code, the DLC is tied to your account, not the cart. So if you sell the game or lend it to a friend, the DLC has to be re-bought.

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain

Yes, I agree, thank you. Everyone's nostalgic for an NMH that doesn't exist. It has always been a janky, low-budget action game that is unique through its Suda weirdness, satire and style, which describes TSA perfectly. Suda's always been touted as a punk dev who makes what he wants, but when he gets a chance to actually make something new for the first time in years, everybody treats it like a corporate product to be ridiculed. He's so misunderstood.

Yeah, it feels to me like they didn't get the game at all, and just liked it because it was "cool"

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for putting this all together OP!

Really looking forward to this game :D

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo and Suda really screwed themselves keeping so tight-lipped. So much live footage of the first game made it look like a super budget (even by Suda's standards) beat-em-up pushed entirely by the franchise's cult status. All the info coming out (especially from these threads) have really won me back over.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I did not love No More Heroes (Though I generally love Suda51). This looks way more interesting than the previous two entries.

Still going to wait and see on reviews though.