• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Well I feel thoroughly fanserved. Jumped out of my seat for multiple reveals. I enjoyed the gameplay, though I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone.

Bring on the DLC

Bring on #3

Bring on ports of everything

Oh also, whoever it was that was dunking on Yamaoka's Grasshopper work, HOW

SOTD has at LEAST 2 GOAT Yamaoka tracks

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
You have to wait for like a full minute for the game to boot. It's extremely weird cause you're just staring at a black screen the whole time but it will load eventually.
Did you wait for a few minutes in this black screen ?
I think i recall running into this when i first got my copy. I gave a few mins pressing buttons and it finally loaded for me. After that I it loaded fine every time since.
Thanks, finally worked but then the game crashed after a few minutes of gameplay lol thankfully saved right before the crash.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Uhm, so Grasshopper just dropped this on their YouTube channel.

Why tho

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they dropped a serious Moonlight trailer too. Really dumb IMO. Makes them look desperate.

Nov 8, 2017
I kept looking the first week of the game's launch and it never cracked top 30 on the eShop in Australia. Even for a low budget production I'm skeptical it made any money.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CIA

is arguably the worst DD game though, doesn't look good at all so advertising it will ironically turn people off
Not gonna disagree on that, but I gotta admit that were I still on the fence, I'd get the game immediately after seeing
The Hotline Miami stuff

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Can't believe they actually posted that video. The level looks like a prototype (I'm sure there is an artistic reason it's mostly just blank walls) and the context is completely lost in a trailer like that.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's not time for the doomtrain yet. It's just a trailer for the game concepts you find in TSA. Not so unusal for japanese games to drop trailers long after the release. SEGA is doing it too, Bandai Namco also.

All in all I think Grasshopper and Nintendo missed the chance to market the game. It was also not present in the german eShop charts. Guess the main problem was, the No More Heroes Fanbase was to alienated when they saw the new concept and many people took this for No More Heroes 3 (just look at all the reviews with the wrong expectations). For the people who never played No More Heroes or any game created by Suda before, TSA is maybe way too Alien to just try it out. That's not how the eShop works unfortunately. I still think the game deserves way better, but from the start it seems like one of these games that will have huge problems to attract the audience.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think it's not time for the doomtrain yet. It's just a trailer for the game concepts you find in TSA. Not so unusal for japanese games to drop trailers long after the release. SEGA is doing it too, Bandai Namco also.

All in all I think Grasshopper and Nintendo missed the chance to market the game. It was also not present in the german eShop charts. Guess the main problem was, the No More Heroes Fanbase was to alienated when they saw the new concept and many people took this for No More Heroes 3 (just look at all the reviews with the wrong expectations). For the people who never played No More Heroes or any game created by Suda before, TSA is maybe way too Alien to just try it out. That's not how the eShop works unfortunately. I still think the game deserves way better, but from the start it seems like one of these games that will have huge problems to attract the audience.
really hoping we get news on sales figures soon

even something like 100k ww for a game like this would be wonders but then again the game was sold at a reduced price so maybe not

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Started my playthrough earlier this week. There's so many references and cameos it's hard to keep up with them all.
Mondo Zapper, Kamui Uehara, Sundance Shot (is a fortune teller), Dan Smith and Travis Touchdown all live in the same universe? This is so ridiculous lol. This is nothing more than fanservice. Makes sense that it's their anniversary title, since it's a crossover but the worlds of Killer is Dead, Killer7, NMH and The Silver Case are all so different from one another. It'd never make sense to tie everything together. Unless there's a big twist at the end which explains how this is possible. I'm enjoying the cameos a lot though. I love that Suda brought back to constantly changing visual openings like in his classic works. That FMV horror opening and that PS1 era CG! So good!

This game is such a love letter to Grasshopper Manufacture fans.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Each game got their own special trailer so I think they wanted to finish the rest. Although the last two games are big spoilers so I hope it wasn't out of desperation.
Yeah after mulling over it briefly this was my conclusion. I also don't think sales are super terrible either. The game is $29.99 and they're developing DLC right now so I think they'll make a good bit of their money back.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
y'all should really tweet at @Doramaru and @meebee_abo if you like the soundtrack, they're really receptive and have fun interacting with the fans who love the work they put into the game

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the trailers were a desperation move, the game's been out for weeks now and most of the game's content is mostly well known to the public. I think they've been sitting on them for a while but waited until the grace period ran out so that they can complete the set of trailers.

Bear in mind that the final level for instance has been known even before the game released, there was a screenshot of the game on Nintendo's official website (where they mentioned every single game), and the launch trailer included footage from both it and Serious Moonlight.

Anyway,

Suda51 himself has a few pretty hilarious cameo appearances in The Completionist's new review, and he was overall pretty positive on the game. Considering the reach he has, I'm hoping this can overturn some word of mouth, though I think Jirard oversold the game's lack of subtlety and didn't acknowledge some of the nuance.

Last edited:

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
1fD7MwV.png

100% proof that Travis is definitely confirmed for Smash.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Ok, 2 days ago I finished the game and yesterday I 100% percented it. 14 hours for Main Story and some extras and 21 hours for completing it 100% with the aid of a guide.

SPOILERS TAGGED

I think it was a great game, not the best hack and slash out there, but fun nonetheless, I think the chip system was the strong point of the gameplay and the diversity in how enemies have to be approached and how they are combined in waves.

Bosses were amazing, the attacks were varied, creative, well designed visually and in gameplay, really fun to clear 4+ times for every difficulty.

The game is not lacking problems, though, seems like enemies attacks and patterns were designed not having the beam katana combat in mind, it's hard to actually know when to attack a boss after an attack and how much time to attack it, Travis' lag with strong attacks leave you open and unable to respond to some attacks, I don't know, I felt it could have been more polished.

The visual artistic direction is top notch as always expected in a Grasshopper game, nothing bad to say about it, I was impressed with the versatility of settings and visual styles, breathtaking.

The story... Man, the story is unique, you can read so many things in it.
Parallels of Suda and Grasshopper with Travis and the games and entities in the story, Juvenile, how Travis admires these videogame legends that are almost all missing in some form like Travis, the family themes in the game with Juvenile, Travis and some bosses back stories, the callbacks to grasshopper past titles with the meta humor, the love letter to game development, so MUCH to read in and in between lines, I still have to process things.

The game was far from perfect, had a lot of room for improvement in gameplay and game flow (felt kinda repetitive with the many waves of enemies coming one right after the other with nothing in between) but I found myself incredibly enjoying it and wanting to 100% it due to how accessible and in reach this goal was (God, getting to the room where Jeane and the Aztec coin were at the 64th floor in Goldren Dragon GP was tricky. It has a set of randomly selected mazes, the coins at the start of the floor indicate what maze was randomly selected from the set, and in some mazes it's impossible to get to where this room is, eg. Maze 1. Interesting desicion).

This game had something, I don't know what, but it made me want to keep playing even if it's not an EXCELLENT 10/10 game, the charm I could say.

I can't wait for the DLC to triple dip and quadru dip this game.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
One question, how is the game for someone who has never played anything from Suda51?

Are too many references lost?

Not mandatory to enjoy the references to other titles, they are treated as unknown characters because everything happens from Travis' perspective, he doesn't know anyone from other Suda games. Maybe the only references that kinda obtuse are Shadows of the Damned and the first two NMH, the last one give a little context on how Travis used to be and gives you a better understanding of the narrative and themes. But not much.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think the trailers were a desperation move, the game's been out for weeks now and most of the game's content is mostly well known to the public. I think they've been sitting on them for a while but waited until the grace period ran out so that they can complete the set of trailers.

Bear in mind that the final level for instance has been known even before the game released, there was a screenshot of the game on Nintendo's official website (where they mentioned every single game), and the launch trailer included footage from both it and Serious Moonlight.

Anyway,

Suda51 himself has a few pretty hilarious cameo appearances in The Completionist's new review, and he was overall pretty positive on the game. Considering the reach he has, I'm hoping this can overturn some word of mouth, though I think Jirard oversold the game's lack of subtlety and didn't acknowledge some of the nuance.

DzoPz15X4AE3Th8.jpg

DzoP1x7X0AAUSrp.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Remember how Suda stated he's showing up at E3 2019 and will *hopefully* have an announcement to show us there? Considering DLC2 with another Travis Strikes Back scenario releases in April - 2 months before E3 - it makes me wonder, will he drop in another little NMH3 tease in the lead up to the formal unveiling at E3? (if it does happen).

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how Suda stated he's showing up at E3 2019 and will *hopefully* have an announcement to show us there? Considering DLC2 with another Travis Strikes Back scenario releases in April - 2 months before E3 - it makes me wonder, will he drop in another little NMH3 tease in the lead up to the formal unveiling at E3? (if it does happen).
Well if we're strictly talking in terms of in-game content (possible DLC spoilers?)

Suda mentioned there was apparently a Back To The Future homage in one of the upcoming DLC packs, and then there was that datamined "III" logo people found that highly resembles the typefont, so...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well if we're strictly talking in terms of in-game content (possible DLC spoilers?)

Suda mentioned there was apparently a Back To The Future homage in one of the upcoming DLC packs, and then there was that datamined "III" logo people found that highly resembles the typefont, so...

Yeah, what got me thinking was that datamined BTTF-esque III logo and the Gamereactor interview done by CaVaYeRo et al stating that Suda will be at E3 and hopes to announce something. I think at this point, NMH3 is a done deal and we'll get a tease in DLC2 as there's honestly no reason for the "III" to be in the launch day game files if this wasn't something they planned on doing from the get go and had no intentions showing it off. Considering the framework for playable Bad Girl, Shinobu and the Badman Strikes Back character sprites were in the base game alongside the NMH3 stuff, I'm convinced we'll see something soon. Everything just points to GhM being way too confident to hinge their entire future on TSA sales which makes me think they've secured funding from a big partner of some sorts. They only just recently list Nintendo as a major client so 🤔

12dec2018r7f84.png

Also worth mentioning the fact that the file containing the "III" logo is explicitly named "ToBeContinued" as opposed to the Santa Destroy logo at the end of TSA simply being called "NMH3Logo". Makes me believe we'll get a "To Be Continued" type thing at the end of DLC2/Killer Marathon. Shit though, hoping Suda pulls through at E3 although I shouldn't get my hopes up.

DxiVD_NXQAU11D_.png

DxiUCNfX4AEXtMu.png

I'm tempted to make a NMH3/Untitled Grasshopper Manufacture speculation and discussion thread to sum up everything we know into one place as I have a good feeling about GhM and E3 this year. Fuck man, it can even be something as basic as this with a confirmation that Nintendo is helping out for me to go nuts. Suda has some really big plans for this game and I hope GhM having enough legroom and freedom to realize these without having to worry about financial constraints or limited creative freedom would give us something we've never seen from Suda before. Something like Killer7's development with Mikami protecting Suda from corporate Capcom and giving him enough space to do his thing. We've already seen what Suda's capable of after directing his first title in more than a decade so I have high prospects for NMH3 if TSA is anything to go by.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm tempted to make a NMH3/Untitled Grasshopper Manufacture speculation and discussion thread to sum up everything we know into one place as I have a good feeling about GhM and E3 this year. Fuck man, it can even be something as basic as this with a confirmation that Nintendo is helping out for me to go nuts. Suda has some really big plans for this game and I hope GhM having enough legroom and freedom to realize these without having to worry about financial constraints or limited creative freedom would give us something we've never seen from Suda before. Something like Killer7's development with Mikami protecting Suda from corporate Capcom and giving him enough space to do his thing. We've already seen what Suda's capable of after directing his first title in more than a decade so I have high prospects for NMH3 if TSA is anything to go by.

The more Grasshopper threads the better.
And damn y'all getting me really hyped for what's to come.

Edit: Pixnlove update.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this tonight and ended up really enjoying the combat and callbacks.
That last level was a real slog though. An hour plus of the same looking areas, tons of enemies and that annoying screen obscuring effect. I also never got a handle on the drag racing in Golden Dragon GP and after losing repeatedly I think the game eventually just lets you win?

Overall I'd give it an 7-8 out of 10 and hope for NMH3 and a collection of 1&2 to happen (along console ports of the Killer 7 remaster).

Last edited:

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
I started to enjoy the combat a little more by Serious Moonlight, for me it had the perfect length and pacing with the enemy encounters, that along with the obvious, it was peak of the game for me.

But then the last level happened and the game fell again in all the problems I had with the combat. I'm a huge HM fan and the last level did nothing to me, that and I found the last boss disappointing. The sequence in Mars was cool, though.

anyway, any new details on the DLC? supposedly it comes out next week, is just Shinobu and badman vn, right?

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this but the Travis Strikes Back addition we're getting in the Bad Girl DLC is only a single story as opposed to the six that comes with Bad Man Strikes Back

https://tsanmh.com/en/dlc/

z1XscRH.jpg
Yeah I noticed as much when they announced the DLC, I'm thinking it's going to just be a story on how they get the real Killer Marathon Death Ball... or it'll be an epilogue to the game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Eh, we've already known this for a while but here's the confirmation str8 from Suda's account. Hoping we get the other legendary shirts like JSR in the upcoming DLC pack.

Edit: Ayy, nvm. Looks like it will.