• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why would it matter if it's a mainline game or not when this entry is specially made for newcomers to hop in? Seems to me you're just parroting shit people've been saying in other threads instead of coming to your own opinion on the series and TSA as a whole.
I like quality games.

The first two reviewed better easily.

Seeing this game in action didn't inspire much confidence.
Maybe it is a proper Suda game, just not one of his better ones.

It's that simple.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this a lot of people were waiting on an excuse to say they are not getting the game, if I want a game I want a game no reviews are gonna change my mind.
A lot of people were unsure and left reviews to be the deciding factor.

But despite the reviews highlighting a big issue I had with NMH2 (pacing), I'll pick the game up anyway.

It's not fair to look at people and go "you were never going to buy the game" if they were turned off at mentions of repetitive gameplay and levels that go on too long.

You can't just "well, you're just mad it wasn't NMH3" everyone.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, EZA and ACG are who I generally agree with the most... and their scores/recommendations don't give me the warm fuzzies. :( Still might buy the damn thing, because I want to show support for weird stuff like this and creators like Suda51.
I usually want to support weird stuff as well but the state of the game isn't great.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I like quality games.

The first two reviewed better easily.

Seeing this game in action didn't inspire much confidence.

It's that simple.
I posted this earlier in the thread but I'm going to post it again as I feel it's the best response to this post.

yQbD7f2.png

If you're going to pass on Suda games because of reviews then that's on you, chief.

QuicoGil

Dec 31, 2017
Granollers, Catalonia, Spain
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, from Swery65, has like a 67? on Meta and is one of my favorite games this gen. Same can be said about The Missing, his latest game, it has a 75 or something but it's a fantastic experience.

Numbers aren't a good way to judge art, I'm a journalist myself and I'm sick of them.

Bartalome

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Shrug...is anyone truly surprised about these scores? Suda Games ALWAYS review bad…and I always love them.

Sadly there is zero tolerance for lower budget games with a bit of jank in them today. I couldn't care less for these scores.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Reviews of TSA causing NMH3 to not happen would probably the most Suda thing to happen.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well, it is a review thread after all...
I'm just saying it's not best practice to get too hung up on review scores. There's a bunch of great games out there with shit scores. Metacritic and review culture in general can be a bit too much sometimes.

Wish more outlets would opt for getting rid of numbers altogether like Kotaku and Polygon.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying it's not best practice to get too hung up on review scores. There's a bunch of great games out there with shit scores. Metacritic and review culture in general can be a bit too much sometimes.

Wish more outlets would opt for getting rid of numbers altogether like Kotaku and Polygon.
Fair enough.

The Wonderful 101 didn't review great and I thought it was one of the best action games ever.

QuicoGil

Dec 31, 2017
Both the Wii ones are above 80 on Metacritic.

And the first one is much more memorable than 2 (with some exceptions like the soundtrack).

This is a wacky spin off that pays homage to old ass games sold for a reduced price. You don't like that? Don't buy it, but don't say it isn't what you wanted because we've known this for a while and the game you're actually asking for is in fact coming.

Oct 25, 2017
Shrug...is anyone truly surprised about these scores? Suda Games ALWAYS review bad…and I always love them.

Sadly there is zero tolerance for lower budget games with a bit of jank in them today. I couldn't care less for these scores.
Did you read any of the reviews or are you assuming complaints from the scores.

"Several levels went on an hour longer than I would've liked" isn't jank.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like this quote from this review (currently the highest rated review).
http://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/absolute-madness-travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes-review/

The point I'm hammering at, is that Travis Strikes Again is a wonderfully bizarre title that relies heavily upon the player's willingness to accept the game for what it is. In a word, Travis Strikes Again is bold. It is among the strangest games I've played–unapologetically so. If you can appreciate the game's mountain of style and slick mechanics you'll find few better games to spend a weekend with, as the game is relatively short. If the game's low budget and disjointed design seem like turn-offs on paper, chances are, going hands-on won't change your mind. If you fall in the first camp, though, you're in for a treat. I found myself constantly surprised and engaged by Travis Strikes Again, and it is the sort of fresh, creative endeavor I'd like to see more of on the Nintendo Switch.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is outrageous. The game is uncompromisingly zany: full of smart design, fluid combat, and laugh out loud personality front to back. While some may be turned off by its low budget feel and disjointed design, those who can look past these rough edges will find a hack-and-slash so quirky that it'll be tough not to fall in love. This title stands as a shining beacon of bold creativity and anyone who values risk-taking in games owes it to themself to give Travis Strikes Again a shot.

It reminds me of when I first bought No More Heroes. That day I was actually going to buy Bayonetta, which was the title I had already demo'd and was more excited about. But I had money left over and figured I'd buy a Wii game that was in clearance. My friends all recommended Muramasa because of how highly rated and stylistic it was, but on a dare I just decided to get No More Heroes instead. I figured I'd just play it for a few hours and put it down before Bayonetta.

I couldn't put it down the entire weekend. It introduced me to the world of Suda in the best possible way, all because I decided against being a tourist and went away from the beaten path. Getting into a Suda game is a risk, but it's one that pays off. For me it did so in spades.

And with TSA being at budget price and how widely diverse these opinions are sounding, I do reckon there's quite a few people out there who should take a similar leap without much harm. Step into the madness. Take a risk and allow insanity to reward you. Even if you don't enjoy it, it's guaranteed to be something you've never quite experienced.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, from Swery65, has like a 67? on Meta and is one of my favorite games this gen. Same can be said about The Missing, his latest game, it has a 75 or something but it's a fantastic experience.

Numbers aren't a good way to judge art, I'm a journalist myself and I'm sick of them.
As someone who was discouraged to buy this game because of the reviews - it's not the numbers what I care about. Even the positive reviews warn you to look past the rough edges, the consensus is almost universal in that you don't pick up this game looking for gameplay.

I really, really don't care about MC scores and I love lots of games which scores way below 70 which is honestly not even that bad.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who was discouraged to buy this game because of the reviews - it's not the numbers what I care about. Even the positive reviews warn you to look past the rough edges, the consensus is almost universal in that you don't pick up this game looking for gameplay.

I really, really don't care about MC scores and I love lots of games which scores way below 70 which is honestly not even that bad.
I still feel like this is an oversimplification...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I'm not really surprised that it's not good so looks like I made the right call in not going for this. Didn't look that great from the beginning and everything they've shown didn't help or increase my confidence. Definitely not worth for $40 for the physical or even digital copy. EA giving it a 5.5 was a nail in the coffin for me. But seeing other outlets such as IGN and Gamespot sharing the sentiment with 6s only added to it.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I usually want to support weird stuff as well but the state of the game isn't great.
Thanks for the response, and I get that. I had some B&H rewards credit stored up, so it's a $0 risk for me (only cost is my time). Guess that's about as good of a "wait for sale" as it's gonna get for me. :) If I end up not liking it, I'll sell it here on on eBay. But I do need to see this for myself.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Interested in checking this game out if it becomes available at the library. If I like it then, I'll definitely purchase it, but I don't want to make a definite purchase based off the reviews I'm reading.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really surprised that it's not good. Didn't look that great from the beginning and everything they've shown didn't help. Definitely not worth for $40 for the physical or even digital copy. EA giving it a 5.5 was a nail in the coffin for me. But seeing other outlets such as IGN, Gamespot, and Dualshockers share the sentiment only added to it.
Dualshockers review was positive tho.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen enough to feel confident in buying it. There's a couple of outliers here and there, but i think i'll enjoy it and its preloading now.

Oct 27, 2017
None of these reviews could possibly have swayed me, I'm there day one. I'm curious to know, though, Ben Moore's reasoning in the Easy Allies for such a notably low review, from a reviewer I definitely respect. I'm seeing that spoilers are circulating so I'd rather avoid them at all cost.

Could anyone summarize Easy Allies' review?

Oct 25, 2017
None of these reviews could possibly have swayed me, I'm there day one. I'm curious to know, though, Ben Moore's reasoning in the Easy Allies for such a notably low review, from a reviewer I definitely respect. I'm seeing that spoilers are circulating so I'd rather avoid them at all cost.

Using his words, he found it dull and disjointed and thought the "Suda" moments were few and far in between. You can just play the review without watching it. He describes how to take down an early boss and tells you what the second game is. Nothing spoilery.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the response, and I get that. I had some B&H rewards credit stored up, so it's a $0 risk for me (only cost is my time). Guess that's about as good of a "wait for sale" as it's gonna get for me. :) If I end up not liking it, I'll sell it here on on eBay. But I do need to see this for myself.
Ya I hear you and like I said in the review I think some folks may indeed get some...enjoyment out of it. But what surprised me was how much a lot of the Suda moments felt watered down and then for long periods in the later game sort of died out. Once you get it would love to hear your impressions after a couple levels

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I was concerned about spoilers myself but I watched it because I was highly interested in why he scored it that way. Basically the level design sucks. It's just room after room of waves of enemies. Not enough variety.

Btw if you were on media blackout like myself and didn't even know who player 2 is, the review spoils the beginning of the game.

QuicoGil

Dec 31, 2017
It's okay to have games that are controversial here or there. Imagine if everything we got were safe, excellent games like idk Smash Ultimate. The industry would be even duller than it already is.

And I love Smash, don't crucify me. I'm talking about artistic freedom here.

Oct 27, 2017
I was concerned about spoilers myself but I watched it because I was highly interested in why he scored it that way. Basically the level design sucks. It's just room after room of waves of enemies. Not enough variety.

Btw if you were on media blackout like myself and didn't even know who player 2 is, the review spoils the beginning of the game.

Well thanks for sparing me from learning that uninvited. In the past Ben's been prone to spoiling one detail or another, revealing quite explicitly one of the later plot developments of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and its ending, for instance.

Was there any hint in the review that he was disappointed that TSA isn't a larger and more direct successor to NMH 2?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Well thanks for sparing me from learning that uninvited. In the past Ben's been prone to spoiling one detail or another, revealing quite explicitly one of the later plot developments of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and its ending, for instance.

Was there any hint in the review that he was disappointed that TSA isn't a larger and more direct successor to NMH 2?
No, he said the game goes for a more arcade experience, but doesn't know how to make it work (roughly paraphrasing).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

He does mention that nmh 1 and 2 had more of a hook with their "focus and flair" which are lacking in this game. So while he doesn't directly say he was disappointed that this game wasn't a more direct successor, I think if it were more robust with the features from those titles he would've liked that better.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played the game yet, but I genuinely think TSA has a better gameplay system than NMH1 and 2. The previous gameplay style wasn't anything to write home about, it was just fun and stylish

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The classic No More Heroes gameplay returns!

Heh, yup. Just from a different perspective!

I believe if this game had a hub world where you could do random jobs or other mini games it would've been more to everyone's liking. But I honestly know jack shit about the game and am buying it regardless lol
I've only watched one review. Just going off what little I know.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't played the game yet, but I genuinely think TSA has a better gameplay system than NMH1 and 2. The previous gameplay style wasn't anything to write home about, it was just fun and stylish
That's pretty awesome. I hope it's just fun to play and kill enemies. The co-op is appealing to me as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, yup. Just from a different perspective!

I believe if this game had a hub world where you could do random jobs or other mini games it would've been more to everyone's liking. But I honestly know jack shit about the game and am buying it regardless lol
I've only watched one review. Just going off what little I know.

The classic No More Heroes gameplay returns!
NMH had variety. Enemy AI was a factor. Not everyone went down in a hit.

But yes, the exact same gameplay, just from a different perspective.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
How are people in good faith gonna say NMH1 and 2 arent about their gameplay when the main pull of the series has always been the boss fights and satisfying (if repetitive) combat. Destroyman isnt character people love for the sake of it, both his fights are insanely memorable to play.

Having better pacing would help it be comparable to SoTC which was also very boss focused. Just that SoTC was more about solving a puzzle than reaction and timing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
NMH had variety. Enemy AI was a factor. Not everyone went down in a hit.

But yes, the exact same gameplay, just from a different perspective.
It's been so long since I even played the first game I don't remember the regular enemy behavior whatsoever. I do remember suplexing certain dudes though :p

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
W-what are you trying to say here? You haven't played the game, but you think the gameplay is better because the previous games were just...fun and stylish...I HAVE to be missing something.