• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
A whole week early, and boy oh boy are there a lot of differences between the GDC demo and this one. Those fellas at Grasshopper Manufacturer sure work fast. New moves, new effects, Environments have been improved with more fine details, camera angle has been vastly improved, new items, item placement ( save and noodle stand), dialogue, and a bunch of phase 2 of the boss fight.

Not sure why Suda 15 decided to show this a week in advance, but I am glad he did. He also plays through the first bit of Hyper Light Drifter, guess he is digging it ;)

Actual gameplay starts at 27:45 and ends at 43:16. Enjoy

OP
OP
Django

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
He showed the Switch debug menu by mistake.. oops!
Yeah I was hoping that would be a more telling moment, but pretty cool nonetheless. I enjoy that the second phase of the boss fight was combat/puzzle oriented. I mean, hopefully it gets more complex than "destroy 4 generators while defeating waves of minions"...meh I am sure it will be.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dig the visuals but the gameplay seems kind of simplistic and mashy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Django

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I dig the visuals but the gameplay seems kind of simplistic and mashy.
Yeah its definitely 1 of apparently 8 game play styles ( more or less) we will be seeing. I'm pretty impressed they got this deep with it, considering how many other frigging play-styles/types are getting shoved in this title.

I'm super curious how the racing is gonna look with the whole wire frame thing going on.

OP
OP
Django

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This honestly just doesnt look all that great
Compared to? I mean...it LOOKS slicker than previous NMH titles. And no offense, but the first two titles, awesome though they were...looked like budget Wii games...which, to be fair, they kinda were.

I guess my real question is...what were you expecting it to look like?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they release this as a demo on the eShop, or at least a modified version that is as meta as these conference demos.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dig the style but I don't really like how mashy and weightless the combat looks tbh.

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like a low rated indie game one of those crap ones that releases on Switch and no one notices. Although previous No More Heroes games didn't have a large budget they were still pretty decent. This wouldn't have even got attention if it wasn't revealed at the conference, shown at the Direct and had the No More Heroes name attached. I expect a 6/10 metacritic score to be gonesh.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like an iPhone game
916.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Gamespot video was a better display of the combat still, where it actually to me kind of looks like a more interesting version of No More Heroes' combat. They're doing too much light attack spamming here and not enough special move usage. I get the impression most people playing (Suda included) are a little too proud of that running slash. It probably feels nice to spam but not to actually watch. Even for the powerful enemies they opt against using the bevy of combination/strong attacks that are actually in the game and do a lot more damage but you'd be forgiven for not knowing that with the way they've been played.

The boss looks great though.

Last edited:

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to? I mean...it LOOKS slicker than previous NMH titles. And no offense, but the first two titles, awesome though they were...looked like budget Wii games...which, to be fair, they kinda were.

Compared to nothing. Just don't look fun to play. Running around and slashing with 0 depth. I mean in a scale of depth i'd say the other games don't have lots of it either but definetly a lot more

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
That boss fight not as easy as we thought, its a 2nd fight, too bad the game messed up I wanted to see how it ended.

I really want this demo on the eShop so bad while we wait for the game, a GDC announcement would be great

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most certainly interested in this just like the previous two.I can't wait for a full blown trailer and all. Here's waiting for E3!

He showed the Switch debug menu by mistake.. oops!
Does this really matter? I'm pretty sure we've seen this before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Django

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Compared to nothing. Just don't look fun to play. Running around and slashing with 0 depth. I mean in a scale of depth i'd say the other games don't have lots of it either but definetly a lot more
I guess we'll have to have differing opinions. I feel, as mentioned above, there is way too much "light attack" spamming going on...we have seen a bit of calculated game play as well. And all things considered. ..it looks more refined than either of the original NMH titles. Which isn't saying a lot. Suda 51 games definitely are more about being fun and stylish...than refined and stylish.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo power podcast, that you can listen to on your Switch, has an interview with Suda and it gives some new information too

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's simple I don't like the top down, I rather it have the gameplay like the previous two. I mean that is the reason why most of us are fans of NMH. This isn't the same game, and that's fine but not was I looking forward to when it's announce. I don't want to say this a fanboy thing but come on this isn't a true No More Heores game so don't get mad when ppl don't like this.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't see how the gameplay looks any better or worse than the previous games... is it just the camera angle that's throwing people off? That you expected it to look exactly like the previous ones even though Suda51 explicitly said it's not NMH3?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It looks okay, but honestly, Suda directed it. Any real GHM fan wants to be here to see how twisted the story will get.

Also, where's the punctuation? That's driving me crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Are the boss fight intros all just text based? The disappointments just keep piling up for me.

I'll still get this and it'll probably still be fun, but what I really wanted was NMH3 and this isn't that.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see how the gameplay looks any better or worse than the previous games... is it just the camera angle that's throwing people off? That you expected it to look exactly like the previous ones even though Suda51 explicitly said it's not NMH3?
This is the biggest difference to me.

Looks better than the last demo. Really wish they took a less is more approach with the enemies. I know it goes against arcade style, but in this context, I'd rather hit one enemy multiple times than hit many enemies once.

I, too, like to judge a game's depth by seeing 1 (one) level
The point of this video is literally to get people to interested in the game. If they're not interested, they're not interested. Imagine someone saying this to you if you saw a level of a Dora the Explorer game and had that reaction. But it's different I guess because you're actually interested in this.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Gamespot video was a better display of the combat still, where it actually to me kind of looks like a more interesting version of No More Heroes' combat. They're doing too much light attack spamming here and not enough special move usage. I get the impression most people playing (Suda included) are a little too proud of that running slash. It probably feels nice to spam but not to actually watch. Even for the powerful enemies they opt against using the bevy of combination/strong attacks that are actually in the game and do a lot more damage but you'd be forgiven for not knowing that with the way they've been played.

The boss looks great though.

I agree, if the only footage of the game was the gamespot one, people would be much more positive. I'd actually say the combat has more depth than previous NMH games because all the individual moves seem to have visible utility. And it has a jump.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The point of this video is literally to get people to interested in the game. If they're not interested, they're not interested. Imagine someone saying this to you if you saw a level of a Dora the Explorer game and had that reaction. But it's different I guess because you're actually interested in this.

This is a demo build tailored to the gaming press who are shuffled around and doesn't have time to acclimate themselves to the controls and the gameplay system of this game, so no, it's not about getting people interested. It's about showing off the game to have impressions on its controls and co-op system. We know nothing of its actual depth in terms of mechanics.

badmoviefan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'll pick this up if it gets a physical release to go alongside the first two I have for Wii, but otherwise there's not a chance.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018

Well is does look a bit better than the wii games. But most where expecting a no more heroes game. We already knew how an hd nmh would look like thanks to the hd rerelease of nmh1 on ps3.

But when your title screen looks more on point stylewise than your main game you have a problem.

Suda shouldnt have called it travis strikes again no more heroes. Excuse me but as a nmh fan my hype for the game whent down the drain the first day we saw gameplay of it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Suda, from the start, has said this is not No More Heroes 3. If that was your expectation with this game, that disappointment is strictly on you.

I am very interested to see how much more depth there is to the mechanics. Even at this level, it looks fun. I've always loved Suda's sense of humor and style, and that goes a long way in my enjoyment of his games. I'm there day one for this game. If there is more to it, that's wonderful.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Dunno what's worse, seeing people act like they've never seen an arcade style game before (omg in Gauntlet Legends you just mash your basic attack to get rid of hordes of enemies as you navigate the levels and use the occasional bomb/special/whatever to clear the screen or deal massive damage to a boss, so simplistic and like a phone game) or seeing people interested because they think this is only one aspect of many different gameplay styles and hoping there's something that resembles previous games more thrown in the mix even as like 1/7th of a full game (hint: we know he's visiting several worlds based on different indie games or not, nothing says that the actual gameplay will be all that different and the strongest hint to different gameplay is the showcase of a vehicle which is not exactly something that would have necessarily more depth or more of the NMH style to it and could just as well be there as an equally arcadey break from the core action). This is, by what we have seen so far, the core gameplay aspect of this game and there's next to no reason to expect otherwise for now, doing so could just lead to major disappointment even by those who aren't down on it, lol. Especially if they bank on that adventure or story mode or whatever mentioned in a video which looks like a Visual Novel rather than like a NMH.

Anyhow to me it looks pretty fun, just not like NMH1&2. I mean, how does the action in nu-Tomb Raider games compare to the action in the isometric Lara Croft games? This is kind of what we're dealing with here, it's no longer a lock on (or soft lock) one on one (on one on one on one as you dispatch or switch between multiple enemies at times) duel type game where you block or dodge attacks to counter with your own strikes or combos but rather a hectic arcade style game where you fling from enemy to enemy wildly swinging your beam katana in their general direction (and the direction Travis is moving towards rather than aiming it all around twin stick shooter style giving it an even more old school arcade vibe) and dealing with eventual hordes of different types with just your reflexes and some light crowd management with well timed use of your cooldown based specials until you get to the bosses which also employ the same basic gameplay with their own twists as seen in phase 2 of the boss fight in the video which employs environment targets and hordes of minions on top of that special aimed attack of his.

Last edited: