MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
GettyImages-140680761-714x475.jpg

"Donald, execute order 66."

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What does this treaty accomplish/enable, concretely?
It allows its signatories to conduct unarmed aerial surveillance flights over the territory of other signatories, which includes Russia and is extremely useful to spot military movements and possible acts of aggression, such as a new invasion into Ukraine. If Trump withdraws and Russia also withdraws as a result the only way to spot those military movements would be via satellite.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Totally normal. Nothing suspect about this at all. Why are you asking? Shut up!

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
My armchair popcorn theory so far: the timing between this and the decision to pull out of Syria (or at least, the attempt to) is too much to be simple coincidence after he's been largely quiet on stupid foreign affairs moves aside from stupid posturing with China. My belief is that this was supposed to be a move that has been planned for but wasn't supposed to be executed until later, after he'd won his second term.

Basically, try to keep things reigned in until 2020, and once he won that, the mask really comes off and he could fully steer our policy into pro-Putin territory. After beating the charges from the Mueller report, the groundwork started being laid to smear Biden, win the election, and then make this turn. But the whistleblower complaint wound up getting leaked despite initial attempts to contain it, and the Dems have actually acted on it with an impeachment inquiry, which continues gaining support. Now that the Biden investigation scheme has been blown up prematurely, Trump (and his allies in Russia more particularly) probably realize that 2020 is a lost cause now, so the call was made to expedite things and hope that as much Russia-useful policy as possible is enacted before Trump is ousted and a Democratic president takes his place in 2021.

Basically they've realized that the long con isn't going to work anymore, so they're ditching any remaining attempt at subtlety and pushing the issue to get America's teetering over with quickly, whether Republicans stand up and re-establish actual democracy, or relent and we go full fascist.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I don't think Trump will officially quit, he will be one of those workers who stops showing up for work one day, and the next, and peeps will be like the Prez NCNS for 3 days straight, hes gone.

Pixels

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My armchair popcorn theory so far: the timing between this and the decision to pull out of Syria (or at least, the attempt to) is too much to be simple coincidence after he's been largely quiet on stupid foreign affairs moves aside from stupid posturing with China. My belief is that this was supposed to be a move that has been planned for but wasn't supposed to be executed until later, after he'd won his second term.

Basically, try to keep things reigned in until 2020, and once he won that, the mask really comes off and he could fully steer our policy into pro-Putin territory. After beating the charges from the Mueller report, the groundwork started being laid to smear Biden, win the election, and then make this turn. But the whistleblower complaint wound up getting leaked despite initial attempts to contain it, and the Dems have actually acted on it with an impeachment inquiry, which continues gaining support. Now that the Biden investigation scheme has been blown up prematurely, Trump (and his allies in Russia more particularly) probably realize that 2020 is a lost cause now, so the call was made to expedite things and hope that as much Russia-useful policy as possible is enacted before Trump is ousted and a Democratic president takes his place in 2021.

Basically they've realized that the long con isn't going to work anymore, so they're ditching any remaining attempt at subtlety and pushing the issue to get America's teetering over with quickly, whether Republicans stand up and re-establish actual democracy, or relent and we go full fascist.

Sure feels like this...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck would he even know what Open Skies Treaty is, let alone pull out without actually being instructed to do so by someone beholden to Putin? Or by Putin himself?

Get. Him. Out.

Not just Trump, for that sort of scenario there would have to people close to Trump who are in on it too, blackmailed or not to get such a thing going through channels. Possibly tin foil hat stuff but you have to wonder who else is compromised or willfully working for the enemy.

Mar 3, 2019
This is legitamatelly insane. Between this and the Syria pullout, Trump is sewing absolute chaos in our foreign relations. He is going to cause ireparable harm to our country if he is not impeached soon!

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
His excuse would be Putin's perfect phone call is enough for him to believe. When he outright denies this on twitter is when we can believe he did it

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I never imagined how passive could the American politicians be in the face of having an obvious Russian agent at the head of their government. This is madness. He should already be imprisoned.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yet Republicans will not impeach and claim polling in purple districts is against impeachment.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Putin and Erdogan started putting pressure on Trump once the impeachment investigation opened in case he gets removed. "Do what we want or we release the dirt on you" which is a much stronger threat when public opinion is continuing to grow in favor of impeachment.

That's my guess.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
He's fucking us as fast as he can and we all know he doesn't have the courtesy to at least put a little lube on.

Oct 25, 2017
The chair is saying its being talked about. The tweet says it is already happening.

Its really not the complicated

The people I was responding to said 'we need more information before drawing conclusions,' 'this may be political gamesmanship,' etc. I was never referring to the tweet. People seem skeptical this is true. Not sure why when the Chair is freaken revealing that the Trump admin has been quietly planning this. Do you think the Chair for the House Committee on Foreign Affairs would write an official letter like this based solely on rumors?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Putin and Erdogan started putting pressure on Trump once the impeachment investigation opened in case he gets removed. "Do what we want or we release the dirt on you" which is a much stronger threat when public opinion is continuing to grow in favor of impeachment.

That's my guess.
Maybe a year ago I'd say this is hilarious conspiracy theory bs. Now?...

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I never imagined how passive could the American politicians be in the face of having an obvious Russian agent at the head of their government. This is madness. He should already be imprisoned.

The Russians can't be enemies, they're white, straight and believe in a Christian God.

The real threat is all those colored, sexual degenerate, non-Christian, abort-baby, anti-gun types that have the gall to want to be treated equally. If Russia wants to put a stop to them, is burning America really too high a cost? At least it'll burn as a White America...

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Puppet is still a puppet; no surprise here.

That's my guess.

Unfortunately, that seems like a very likely scenario.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The letter is from Eliot Engel the Chair of the Committee on Foreign Affairs. Did you read the letter? It is pretty straight forward.

The letter says "considering withdrawing." Not "planning withdrawal," and certainly not "withdraws" like the title says. So yeah, the thread title is super clickbaity.

The Trump Administration has "considered" a lot of heinous shit that never went anywhere.