• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I cringed when I watched this bit. Not funny at all, very lazy joke and very insensitive.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
He's not half the host/comedian John Stewart was, the original joke was terrible, and his response is just deflecting and not actually accepting any fault.

"People offended at my hateful joke are actually the real baddies because they should actually be mad about the conflict".

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are completely missing what his bias is.

It's BECAUSE of the fact that the world was OK with Ghandi's racism why he dislikes India. Also it's BECAUSE France can take African players and win WC why he dislikes France. African nations don't have that option. Great soccer players are not immigrating to Africa.

This is not to dismiss concerns that people have towards Trevor. But for me his biases are very clear. Everyone has some sort of bias.

France didn't take African players for the world cup squad. All but 2 of them were born in France.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
When he starts singing gibberish and just keeeps going

source.gif

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
His political analysis in the show lost credibility for me when he equated Imran Khan to Trump.
It was the most superficial generalised narrative just in order to equate these two vastly different personalities that it was mind boggling.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was funny. He is poking fun at Bollywood dance numbers, not Indian accents. As someone who grew up watching Indian movies and hating how they cut to long song numbers every five minutes, it's good to finally see Americans joke about it.

If anything, Indians should be happy that mainstream media is making fun of Bollywood. We finally made it!!!

I wonder how many Indians and Pakistanis in this thread are upset by this. I showed this to my friends and they all laughed.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
France didn't take African players for the world cup squad. All but 2 of them were born in France.
I'm not going to argue Trevor's point because I don't necessarily agree with it. But to be clear his whole point is that it doesn't happen in opposite direction. (i.e. player with French heritage playing for African nations). So Africans are happy with what they can get. Sort of like Kenya embraced Obama.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was funny. He is poking fun at Bollywood dance numbers, not Indian accents. As someone who grew up watching Indian movies and hating how they cut to long song numbers every five minutes, it's good to finally see Americans joke about it.

If anything, Indians should be happy that mainstream media is making fun of Bollywood. We finally made it!!!

I wonder how many Indians and Pakistanis in this thread are upset by this. I showed this to my friends and they all laughed.
I'm Indian 🤔

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
Most South Africans are not aware of Gandhi's racism. His statue still stands proud in the town where I grew up in SA. The idea that Trevor dislike Indians because of Gandhi is absurd.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Most South Africans are not aware of Gandhi's racism. His statue still stands proud in the town where I grew up in SA. The idea that Trevor dislike Indians because of Gandhi is absurd.
I mean he explicitly said this multiple times. Just because ALL South Africans don't know this it doesn't mean he doesn't. Ghandi REALLY bugs him. (I learned about Ghandi's racism from Trevor)

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
From past material it seems when he is not familiar with something or it is outside his cultural experience this sort of joke is what he falls back on.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to argue Trevor's point because I don't necessarily agree with it. But to be clear his whole point is that it doesn't happen in opposite direction. (i.e. player with French heritage playing for African nations). So Africans are happy with what they can get. Sort of like Kenya embraced Obama.

Yes. Noah however tried to take their Frenchness away from them, actively calling them an "African team", thereby denying them their choice of being French.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he:

- both sides
- is ignorant of American politics
- is ignorant of global politics
- doesn't know how to apologize

Why was he picked to be Jon Stewart's successor?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that worse than I expected. And that follow up tweet. What a fucking idiot.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since when has insensitive racial jokes been an American thing? Please tell me.
Since forever. Sure not soley an American thing, but it is an American thing.

What is strongly correleted with America though is the arrogance he displays in his response claiming his joke trended more than the subject itself. Just one of endless examples of Americans claiming to be more important than they are.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
apologizing is very hard for some reason as we've learned from a lot of people making mistakes in the past.
This is because people usually aren't sorry about what they said. They shouldn't be apologizing if they don't regret what was stated, it's easier to know where they actually stand that way.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Finally? Mate it's all non Indian/Pakistanis joke about when it comes to bollywood and have for years, eventhough a growing portion of bollywood movies aren't musicals filled with dance numbers and it has been so for many many years.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Yes. Noah however tried to take their Frenchness away from them, actively calling them an "African team", thereby denying them their choice of being French.
That's the reason I don't agree with him. He is basically dismissing players who are considering themselves as Frech. But I do see where he is coming from. It's definitely a different view on this issue than you would typically get in the West.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Since forever. Sure not soley an American thing, but it is an American thing.

What is strongly correleted with America though is the arrogance he displays in his response claiming his joke trended more than the subject itself.

You know what's the bigger arrogance? That people like you think wherever you're from is a bastion of racial tolerance free from these type of jokes or racism. That's the biggest arrogance.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, thats not good. I will say I think comedians should be able to make jokes about sensitive issues, but this one lacked any kind of enlightenment of the situation and really just fell flat. Its nothing more than a stereotyped non sequitur

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally? Mate it's all non Indian/Pakistanis joke about when it comes to bollywood and have for years, eventhough a growing portion of bollywood movies aren't musicals filled with dance numbers and it has been so for many many years.
The only jokes i see about south Asians are taxi driver jokes, terrorist jokes if they are Pakistanis, and Indian accent jokes.

This is literally the first time I've seen a mainstream comedian make a Bollywood joke.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I defended him at first. I thought he showed potential. But he 100% lost me with the France World Cup thing.
It's one thing to make a joke that misses the mark, especially when dealing with complex political issues. Sometimes you're just gonna land on the wrong side despite your good intentions, it happened to Jon Stewart too. But my problem with Noah is that it seems like he never wants to learn from his mistakes and he always doubles down and tries to ridicule or dismiss any push-back.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Trevor Noah has been trash since he joined the show to replace jon, being comedian is like get out of jail free card for him.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No, your post was based on what you infered from my post but the thing is I never implied anything so your inference can only have come from your bias.

You implied that Trevor Noah jokes was based on American arrogance even though he's a foreigner and doesn't even get American politics correct. You came to this thread incredibly biased and I called you out on that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The only jokes i see about south Asians are taxi driver jokes, terrorist jokes if they are Pakistanis, and Indian accent jokes.

This is literally the first time I've seen a mainstream comedian make a Bollywood joke.
Man this is so off the mark. I've seen Indian culture be reduced to Bollywood by almost every person outside of India/sub continent, and I don't even mean just as a joke. Which is what makes this bit so lazy and bad.