• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
User Warned: drive-by post dismissive of the thread
This thread should be bookmarked as an example of textbook outrage culture

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread should be bookmarked as an example of textbook outrage culture

Why do think being upset about this is overblown? Why do you think what he said and his subsequent reaction is acceptable?

He made a terrible racist joke and when people got upset he doubled down.

Also, I think people would be less "outraged" if the joke itself was actually funny. But it's a terrible joke and a shitty thing to double down on.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's just such a lazy ass joke too. You could have joked about the media reports vs eyewitness reports and how they didn't add up at all. But nope, dance numbers while people shoot and kill each other. C'mon now

Nov 19, 2017
Trevor has been such a disappointment. I hope he can examine his biases.
I love everyone shitting on Noah while praising Jon Stewart who was just as bad if not worse. Sounds about white.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of confused how Trevor Noah still has the helm at the daily show after all these incidents. He's pretty clearly not the right guy for the job.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the context of the situation you've created doesn't make any sense... That's a false equivalency.

And no, being that Trevor specifically says that he understood where the ambassador was coming from because the Alt-Right was using their African ancestry to deny them being French citizens. He goes into detail on this. And that's a bit of a strawman on your part, when I clearly explained why there's a misunderstanding.

Sorry but why is this a false equivalency exactly?

I agree there is misunderstanding but mostly on Trevor Noah part who is blissfully ignorant of the sensitivity of this issue and the context, and even doubling down, despite the players themselves trying to stop this whole "African team" shit.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I really can't get enough of the folks going "(I'm not Indian but) some Indians in this thread are saying it didn't offend them, therefore it is objectively not offensive and is a perfectly okay thing."

Oct 26, 2017
As Contra pointed out in her recent video this joke was offensive not due to the subject matter but due to the laziness and very dated nature of the execution.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought it was funny. Not laugh out loud funny, but I no longer expect much from Noah.

The Daily Show has been making light of serious, grave world events for years - this is not new. Stewart did the same (though he'd often end the segment with a somber insight). Noah was parodying Bollywood, not maligning Hindi. It's not like he was talking about east asians, making squinty eyes and saying "ching chang chong".

He's straight up said extremely targeted, hurtful shit in the past that did deserve attention and probably even should have called into question him helming a progressive, cynical show, such as his "joke" about aboriginals, or all of the lazy but cruel and thoughtless Twitter "jokes". I don't feel this is one of those cases.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Why do think being upset about this is overblown? Why do you think what he said and his subsequent reaction is acceptable?

He made a terrible racist joke and when people got upset he doubled down.

Also, I think people would be less "outraged" if the joke itself was actually funny. But it's a terrible joke and a shitty thing to double down on.

The joke was low brow but that's literally it. People are digging really deep attempting to be offended by it. Many posters here have already highlighted the double standards and hypocrisy of those pushing the outrage narrative.

When it comes to comedy:
Is war off limits?
Is india off limits?
Is bollywood off limits?

Or is it just the combination of those 3 things.

Who gets to decide these things.

Did his joke rely on a cultural stereotype? Yes.
Was anybody harmed by it? No
Was there any clear intention to harm anyone by it? No.

I mean this is a guy who literally used his mother getting shot in one of his stand-ups. How dare he!

Making jokes about india by using a Bollywood caricature is "terribly racist"? Give me a break. Many people in this very thread and in the twitter thread clearly found it anywhere from deeply offensive to hilarious. C'est la vie.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You guys should watch the video The Darkness by contrapoints. She highlights what makes an offensive comedian offensive. When a joke is made about a serious topic but the joke is based on stereotypes and distorted view on the subject, it usually not funny and it offends people. It takes someone to truly understand the situation to discuss a touchy subject and make fun of it where it becomes funny and not offensive. Terrible comedians usually blame their audience for taking things too seriously instead of addressing the fact that they made a tasteless joke without truly understanding what the joke is based on. It's a cycle that keeps repeating and many many comedians do it.
I literally was about to reference Contrapoints' video (18:40):

Trevor Noah's joke was inaccurate, outdated, and just plain unfunny.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
So some people find this joke funny, some don't and some think it's inapprorpiate. Sounds like standard comedy (or attempt at comedy) throughout the ages to me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hasan Minhaj would have found way more creative jokes. Trevor, because he's not knowledgeable, just made a really boring joke whether it was offensive or not. It's like when white comedians make jokes about Muslims compared to Muslims or ex-muslims who have just way better 9/11 or terrorist jokes (e.g. Eshaan Akbar) because they require intricacies that are known and Muslims can relate to. If you can't make the joke funny to the group that is the target, it's a wash.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I remember my friend showed me a Trevor Noah clip about the colonisation of India which was really weird. He seemed to be under the impression that the British managed to colonise India because they had guns and Indians had never heard of them. Always considered him an ignorant asshat ever since.
But sometimes being ignorant for the sake of comedy and giving wrong information for laughs is what comedians do. John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons made some good points, but then Leguizamo said that the Spanish colonisers/invaders brought syphilis to the Americas... However, it is known that it already existed there before contact with Europeans, and it is speculated that syphilis may have been brought to Europe instead - although this last point is disputed.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Hasan Minhaj would have found way more creative jokes. Trevor, because he's not knowledgeable, just made a really boring joke whether it was offensive or not. It's like when white comedians make jokes about Muslims compared to Muslims or ex-muslims who have just way better 9/11 or terrorist jokes (e.g. Eshaan Akbar) because they require intricacies that are known and Muslims can relate to. If you can't make the joke funny to the group that is the target, it's a wash.
Yes

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So some people find this joke funny, some don't and some think it's inapprorpiate. Sounds like standard comedy (or attempt at comedy) throughout the ages to me.
I just think it's lazy. This dude is making the big bucks to do apu without Simpson's writing behind it and years too late? Uh ok

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I just think it's lazy. This dude is making the big bucks to do apu without Simpson's writing behind it and years too late? Uh ok
Oh I agree. I found it very lazy, uninspired and badly delivered. But trying to make light of serious situations isn't exactly a new phenomenon. So I'm not remotely surprised about the mixed reactions and the standard internet outrage this specific segment sparked. "Lol, funny," "zzz, boring," "OMG HOW DARE YOU," "I miss John Stewart..." etc etc. I don't agree with people thinking he owes anyone an apology though. He's a comedian and it's his job to make light of situations, including controversial ones. Whether he did a good job or not is subjective. There will always be some who find stuff funny and there will always be those who will be offended no matter what. That's just how comedy works. Again, I didn't even crack a slight grin at his lame impressions, but I'm not going to demand he apologize nor judge people who did find that stuff amusing (and judging from overall reactions there are many, including Pakistanis and Indians, who did).

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we getting to that point of a thread where we do this

Really
i guess my jokes aren't hitting either.

Trevor Noah has been persecuted for every little thing since he was announced as the guy to replace the almighty Green Lantern.

i don't know how he manages to come to work every day under such a microscope.

love that OP left out his apology tweet.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Noah has always been a dick, which is why I don't buy the new woke persona he adopted for the Daily Show.
Remember those tweets some years back?

"'Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I'm sexy!' - fat chicks everywhere."

and other such gems.

I also remember him saying that a prison sentence is not a punishment for gay guys because...well, you know why. Pretty disgusting stuff.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i guess my jokes aren't hitting either.

Trevor Noah has been persecuted for every little thing since he was announced as the guy to replace the almighty Green Lantern.

i don't know how he manages to come to work every day under such a microscope.

love that OP left out his apology tweet.
I actually think it's amazing he works on a liberal leaning show and is constantly on the news for doing some stupid shit when samantha bee and john oliver are fine. Hmm

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
But sometimes being ignorant for the sake of comedy and giving wrong information for laughs is what comedians do.

They do that, but it's not good that they do it.

It's fine in an instance when the audience clearly knows the information in the joke is false. In that case, it's pretty much sarcasm like a comedian joking that the moon landing was fake, or a comedian joking that no one was killed in the bombing of Hiroshima. The audience is in on the joke and they already know the comedian is making stuff up.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like Trevor but he seems to have a weird thing with India for some reason. No idea what that is. This is dumb and stuff like this could get him replaced sooner than he thinks.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
They do that, but it's not good that they do it.

It's fine in an instance when the audience clearly knows the information in the joke is false. In that case, it's pretty much sarcasm like a comedian joking that the moon landing was fake, or a comedian joking that no one was killed in the bombing of Hiroshima. The audience is in on the joke and they already know the comedian is making stuff up.
I agree with you, definitely. There's something about communicating wrong or false information that really annoys me, especially when there's no easy way of knowing in the context if the information is correct or not... It must be the scientific training I've had, at least in part.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Trever Noah was never ever funny
For some reason i never like these kind of posts. "i always knew" or shit like that.
They seem like some silly attempt to turn ignorance into knowledge of stuff. "Never liked him anyway". Oh wow, you were ahead of your time with never being able to laugh. Also, the way you say it makes me think of a dad who failed at life and now just shouts meaningless shit to the tv because he's frustrated.
Sorry. Just trying to figure out why posts like these always bother me. Doesn't matter what person it is about.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Jesus fucking Christ almighty, the issue isn't that he "joked about a war", the issue is that he resorted to poor and lazy Bollywood accent stereotypes without actually saying anything about the war. If you're going to comment on something, familiarize yourself with it or don't bother.

I watched it and it was a segment about the conflict between India and Pakistan. I guess you're the one who didn't watched it...

Yes he did that an indian accent, so what ? He is a comedian for god sake ! And comedians do accents jokes ALL THE TIME !!!

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
As did (do...) comedians about people's race and sexuality, that doesn't mean we can't move on from those low hanging fruits.

So comedians cannot joke about anything anymore ? So why don't we just ban Trevor, SNL and all comedians and shows outhere ? So like that nobody is EVER uncomfortable anymore by a joke... Let's just do it like in dictatorship where comedians are put behind bars !

This is a non-story. It's just a joke as hundreds that are made by comedians every day.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
For some reason i never like these kind of posts. "i always knew" or shit like that.
They seem like some silly attempt to turn ignorance into knowledge of stuff. "Never liked him anyway". Oh wow, you were ahead of your time with never being able to laugh. Also, the way you say it makes me think of a dad who failed at life and now just shouts meaningless shit to the tv because he's frustrated.
Sorry. Just trying to figure out why posts like these always bother me. Doesn't matter what person it is about.
Saying he was never funny isnt the same as saying "i always knew". Trevor Noah is just not funny to alot of people. Him being an utterly pretentious dickhead is another point all together, along with him not being funny

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember him saying that. It was the French ambassador who said the other way around. All Trevor did was say "I think Africa did win." and show a picture of the French team.
I just looked it up, he said "I get it, they have to say it's the French team, but look at those guys -- you don't get this tan by hanging out in the south of France".

(starts at around 0:35).

How is that not denying the players being French?

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has he ever apologised for the fucking bullshit racist shit he said about aboriginal people? He can fuck himself. He grew up with apartheid but thinks it's okay to mock a whole race that's treated like shit in Australia.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

The Daily Show has good segments regardless, but some people have to come out of the woodwork when something questionable is said to say "they were never funny", "people watch the Daily Show?" etc while painting a wide brush.

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I mean he explicitly said this multiple times. Just because ALL South Africans don't know this it doesn't mean he doesn't. Ghandi REALLY bugs him. (I learned about Ghandi's racism from Trevor)

It's really hard to take you seriously when you consistently misspell Gandhi's name even in reply to a comment that spells it correctly.

Ghandu is something very different.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has he ever apologised for the fucking bullshit racist shit he said about aboriginal people? He can fuck himself. He grew up with apartheid but thinks it's okay to mock a whole race that's treated like shit in Australia.

Can't believe he said that. For someone who grew up in apartheid where black women would be called 'ugly' to think it was ok to say that about aboriginal women clearly only cares about himself.

If anything he should be calling out the disgusting way aboriginals are treated.

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
He's a dumbass.
Stupid and offensive joke, this kind of stuff should not be tolerated from and towards any ethnicity nowadays.
He already seemed dumb and overly arrogant when he made his comments about France winning the world cup.