• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I read once that there are 3 different main plots? I guess this depends on your main characters?
What are the pair-ups?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Ugh, I did not at all enjoy what I played of this with Riesz as the main character. I'm not sure if the intro is the same for everyone (I can't imagine everyone is the prince/princess of Laurent) but my goodness was that start rough. And now that I'm in the forest it's not much better. But holy crap there was so much wrong with just the Laurent section.

Why didn't Riesz just beat the two spies and quickly turn the wind back on with the key? Why did the bandits just randomly leave the entire fortress instead of using it for themselves (since they now had the key for the wind)? Why was nobody in Laurent looking after the prince? Why did the beast dudes just randomly leave the front gate unguarded in the second town?
Ugh, I was excited for this game, but I might just watch some playthroughs on Twitch instead, this bucked me hard.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I did not at all enjoy what I played of this with Riesz as the main character. I'm not sure if the intro is the same for everyone (I can't imagine everyone is the prince/princess of Laurent) but my goodness was that start rough. And now that I'm in the forest it's not much better. But holy crap there was so much wrong with just the Laurent section.

Why didn't Riesz just beat the two spies and quickly turn the wind back on with the key? Why did the bandits just randomly leave the entire fortress instead of using it for themselves (since they now had the key for the wind)? Why was nobody in Laurent looking after the prince? Why did the beast dudes just randomly leave the front gate unguarded in the second town?
Ugh, I was excited for this game, but I might just watch some playthroughs on Twitch instead, this bucked me hard.

yeah I started with her as well and it's pretty dumb.......but the combat is light and breezy and enjoyable enough.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Damn I can't even pick my character at the start, they all sound cool and have nice designs. What are the story pair-ups again? I'm thinking either Angela, Kevin, or Hawkeye for me, with the Angela/Riesz and Charlotte as the support picks.

in the original the pairings were

Duran/Angela
Kevin/Charlotte
Riesz/Hawkeye

for the most cohesive stories

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

Each character is from a different kingdom/town with their own backstory and reason to go seek the Pope guy. Give another character a shot

Seri

Oct 30, 2017

Everyone has unique intro's, maybe some of the other characters would be more to your liking? I'm starting with Angela this go round and hers was,while very short, at least a bit better.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
in the original the pairings were

Duran/Angela
Kevin/Charlotte
Riesz/Hawkeye

for the most cohesive stories

Hah i went Duran and Angela just cause i thought Duran would be easy to get into and i wanted a caster. I enjoyed that their stories just happened to gel together well.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So is this basically like... the main character and the first character you choose? Second doesn't matter?
No, it's which characters are "paired" for plot events of the game.

Each of those three pairs share a major villain and story focus, so if you make sure to pick one or the other of each pair, you are going to essentially get the full story in a single playthrough.

It helps me that Hawkeye, Angela and Charlotte are a trio I very much would like to start with!

You can pick whoever you wish, it's more a suggestion in case you don't plan on playing more then one playthrough.

Starting character technically leads the plot, but it's more about which character you wanna see the prologue for, and in what order you wanna meet your other partners.

I will amend this post if incorrect however, as I have very little personal experience in this, and more hearsay from friends.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Each of those three pairs share a major villain and story focus, so if you make sure to pick one or the other of each pair, you are going to essentially get the full story in a single playthrough.

It helps me that Hawkeye, Angela and Charlotte are a trio I very much would like to start with!

You can pick whoever you wish, it's more a suggestion in case you don't plan on playing more then one playthrough.

Starting character technically leads the plot, but it's more about which character you wanna see the prologue for, and in what order you wanna meet your other partners.

Ah, thank you.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay the demo is one of these games that make my PS4 Pro sound uncomfortably loud, I'll wait for the Steam release :/

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

I will amend this post if incorrect however, as I have very little personal experience in this, and more hearsay from friends.

Also if you want to do more than one playthrough, i would recommend to pick the two characters from a pair to see their full story each time, like duran and angela! Cause you won't see everything otherwise and it won't feel as complete

it's not a big deal of course if you don't do that, just a bit better

flonty

Oct 27, 2017
my Impressions (played both ps4 and switch version)

- game looks overall good but rough around the edges (distant islands have very low geometry for example).
- Hard mode isn't actually hard. Hope the patch in very hard.
- The menus look very clean and have good descriptions
- New talent/skill system
- Nice customization/settings for AI members. You can configurate how often they should use skills and items
- Switch version has lower framerate than PS4 version. Locked 30?
- Sometime some texture pop in during cutscenes
- option for old and new remastered soundtrack
- dual audio (english and japanese)
- combat ist fun with jumping and evading.

I prefer the PS4 version but switch plays absolutely fine aside from the framerate

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks, I just saw your answer in the other thread. My bad.
All good, I'm just somewhat surprised about folks seemingly stumbling upon this key difference between the versions while I personally had the impression it's been communicated from the very start quite clearly. Doesn't make your notion of it useless or anything, at least more people should become aware of it now.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Can't comment on the remake but in the original the two guards change into their beast forms because it's night when you leave

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If you pick Angela as your main, you HAVE to pick Duran as one of your companion. (Kinda biased because I like one of Duran final boss)
The end-game will be much more impactful. It is indeed strongly recommended to choose one of the duo mentioned earlier, otherwise you might miss some cutscenes.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Skipped everything so I'd get to more combat as fast as possible, and I'm not really feeling it. Seems incredibly vanilla and, well, basic as far as action RPGs go and super, super easy even on hard.

But it seems like it could be a cute palate cleanser in-between all the humongous RPGs I play, so maybe I'll check it out on Steam at some point when it's like 50% off or something.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Playing the demo on PS4 atm.
Game is a joy to play. Duran is my main, just met Angela and chose Hawkeye as 2nd companion. The remake music is really nice, very true to the original. I played the Switch release last year.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Unfortunately I can't play the demo at the moment, but what's the general consensus on handheld mode? Is native, Dynamic resolution or is it similar to Dragon Quest?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
What I've played of the demo is decent but it seems pretty basic. Really like the aesthetic of the game though.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
- Hard mode isn't actually hard. Hope the patch in very hard.

Still the really beginning, thing could get way harder later..... no?

edit: ok i've give it a go on hard, the game is a pushover... i've destroy eveything and the bosses just attack all the way with no need to avoid and heal. Sorry pre-order cancel for me....

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Can you change game difficulty on the fly?
Or do you set it at the beginning and it's set in stone?

I've downloaded the demo but can only play it this evening.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I played OG seiken densetsu about five times

So tempted to buy this but I don't want to pay full price 😂

Gonna double dip on both PS4 and pc

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 10m. Solid performance on switch. A bit too much pop in though. Looks like dragon quest 11 (same engine ?).
Day 1. I delete the demo and wait final game

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Playing as Hawkeye on the Switch (will play the demo on PS4 later as either Kevin or Angela) and really enjoying it. It's a bit janky but far less so than SoM remake that was rather shit. And this game looks really nice too.