• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that hyped after the announcement during the Direct but the gameplay during the Treehouse segment completely sold me. I hope this game doesn't fall under my radar by the time it releases.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fairy has cute feet

LgAUUJ2.jpg

Also this seems to have an unlocked framerate. Weird for a UE4 game on switch. Should put a "prioritize framerate" mode and a "prioritize resolution" mode

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
For Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, how early can you play two-player? Wondering if I should start the game before I play with my roommate.

Nov 4, 2017
I've never played a mana game, but the trials remake looks dope and I'm very interested in getting it.

The release of the Collection of Mana was a nice surprise, and I figured it would be a good starting point for getting into the series. So I loaded up the eShop, and noped out at the asking price of $60 Australian dollaridoos. For a Gameboy game and two SNES games. Are Squeenix really that out of touch? Anyway, I'll just wait for a sale but otherwise I'd bite on the Trials of Mana remake at full price based on what I've seen so far. Looks great.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
For Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, how early can you play two-player? Wondering if I should start the game before I play with my roommate.

Basically as soon as a second character turns up in the storyline. In SoM, I think that's in the first major town past the intro (if I'm remembering the order of events). Maybe an hour first time through?

For SD3, that's somewhat dependent on which characters you pick, but I *think* they're all available by the time you hit the first proper dungeon.

It's been so long, all of this is filtered through my memory!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question, again leading back to the fact that it's been so long: With the whole structure of encouraging replayability, did SD3 have any NG+ options? I don't think it did, but I could be wrong. That strikes me as something that could well be a nice extra to include for the remake.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this looks exactly like DQXI? Even the font is similar. This isn't made by the same team, is it?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Yea it does look like DQXI, thats a good thing tho as I think DQXI is beautiful!

Funnily enough I'm more interested in the SNES one than the remake, I've just always wanted that version. When they revealed the remake first I was actually like "Oh..." a little disappointed lol. But then they showed off the collection too so best of both worlds! :D

(other than the fact that I'm waiting for the physical release so I still have to wait longer for the damn thing). :(

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded up the eShop, and noped out at the asking price of $60 Australian dollaridoos. For a Gameboy game and two SNES games. Are Squeenix really that out of touch?
Keep in mind they had to actually do a lot of work to localize Trials of Mana into English, something that had never officially been done before. That involves finding an experienced SNES assembly-language programmer, something not easy to find these days, and the game is one of the largest SNES games ever released. I'd say a good portion of the price was to pay for that game's localization, as well as a "brand new game never seen before outside of Japan" (they didn't know about the fan translation or fanbase until the remake's development was already underway).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hoo boy, playing SNES-era action RPGs like this feels pretty fucking bad compared to modern games. Unlike FF or similar combat system, movement and attacking has not aged well.

I loved these games growing up, but am not finding (SD3 especially) them much fun to control, and thus, play.

Honestly having no problem with them over here. Yes, there is slight conditioning needed to wrap your head around delayed sword strike spam and getting grips with the hit detection. But the internal logic exists and is not difficult to parse.

I'm a few hours into the GB game and just smitten with it. Each new weapon and spell introduced has been great to use. Haven't touched this game since probably '92 I think. Holds up well as an action adventure.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why the change to UE4. I would have figured they would stick with Unity for this game

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why the change to UE4. I would have figured they would stick with Unity for this game

They said DQ11 inspired them for this game.

They also called the last remake "underwhelming and looking like a low budget effort that did not translate the art of the original properly".

Sooo yup

Qbimh3p.jpg

xxoxhs1.jpg

I can stare at this forever.

Never played a Mana game before...should i buy Trails of Mana?

You're talking about the remake of Trials ? It comes out 2020.

It's like Final Fantasy games you don't need to have played the others to understand the game.

It's a legendary game, they are modernizing it though so I think it's the perfect entry to check out ! It has a very cool unique narrative system where you pick 3 characters and the story adapts to who you picked, in which order etc... Every character has a different origin story and they have different main enemies which changes the story's third act entirely.
6 characters, each pair shares the same big bag (with different motivations), Hawkeye and Riesz, Duran and Angela, Kevin and Charlotte. It's really cool.

art-001.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
God, I hope they give Secret of Mana another remake. The most famous entry in the series deserves better than what it got, even SE admits it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They said DQ11 inspired them for this game.

They also called the last remake "underwhelming and looking like a low budget effort that did not translate the art of the original properly".

Sooo yup
it's not like they couldn't achieve this with Unity (let's not talk shit about Unity's toolkit now). I'm wondering if they're making the game through a different developer who's more accustomed to UE4

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
it's not like they couldn't achieve this with Unity (let's not talk shit about Unity's toolkit now). I'm wondering if they're making the game through a different developer who's more accustomed to UE4

No it's the exact same team and done internally.

Unity is a lot harder to use. UE4 lets you build worlds that look good within literally one week.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I can see that. Like I said, I don't even recall the butt slap (though I only ever used Angela for maybe one playthough), so I don't have much of an opinion on that.

LOL, you don't remember Pink Typhoon? (Angela's Sorceress special attack) That one was one of the most memorable techs in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Honestly having no problem with them over here. Yes, there is slight conditioning needed to wrap your head around delayed sword strike spam and getting grips with the hit detection. But the internal logic exists and is not difficult to parse.

I'm a few hours into the GB game and just smitten with it. Each new weapon and spell introduced has been great to use. Haven't touched this game since probably '92 I think. Holds up well as an action adventure.

Adventure holds up best for me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, you don't remember Pink Typhoon? (Angela's Sorceress special attack) That one was one of the most memorable techs in the game.

So, I played through the game with all the characters (using emulators and a fan translated rom) maybe twenty years ago (or around that, I know I was a teen at the time). Since Angela was never one of my favorites, any subsequent playthroughs have been with the characters I like more than her. Though, I AM a big fan of Pink Typhoon the song.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Keep in mind they had to actually do a lot of work to localize Trials of Mana into English, something that had never officially been done before. That involves finding an experienced SNES assembly-language programmer, something not easy to find these days, and the game is one of the largest SNES games ever released. I'd say a good portion of the price was to pay for that game's localization, as well as a "brand new game never seen before outside of Japan" (they didn't know about the fan translation or fanbase until the remake's development was already underway).
That's pretty cool. The price is still a bit steep for me, but it's nice to see they're putting in some work for the English speaking fans. As somebody who grew up in Australia loving Square games, I always felt like we were an afterthought and often outright ignored even more than the rest of the English speaking world. A lot of the games that were translated to English didn't see the light of day here, or came very late.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Unity is a lot harder to use. UE4 lets you build worlds that look good within literally one week.
Same internal production team (which is the mobile division now I guess) maybe but both the previous remakes had development outsourced to different companies (Adventures = MCF, Secret = Q Studios). Same as the Collection (M2).

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

I also think that game had some unfortunate design choice, beyond the ugly look, it plays worse than the original, sound was off somehow, and it was designed originally for Vita but came out when the system was already dead.

They said this time the original composer for the Mana series is working on this release (i don't think he was involved in the SoM remake) and they learned a lot from the feedbacks.

Am I the only one that thinks this looks exactly like DQXI? Even the font is similar. This isn't made by the same team, is it?

Colors are slightly more saturated than DQ XI, i honestly slightly prefer the look here (especially for the grass and trees), UI is obviously different but the rest is very similar to Dragon Quest XI, and for me that's a plus, Square Enix finally found a style that fits well to their classic series.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Secret of Mana doesn't just need a better remake because the last one was a letdown - it needs a better remake because the original game was itself a shadow of its planned SNES-CD self.

Very hard to put the pieces together when some of the ideas went on to become Chrono Trigger

I do agree it deserves a Trials of Mana remake with a 3rd person camera and revised combat.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Does Kevin still turn into a wolf at night and get crazy combos is the question

Basically as soon as a second character turns up in the storyline. In SoM, I think that's in the first major town past the intro (if I'm remembering the order of events). Maybe an hour first time through?

For SD3, that's somewhat dependent on which characters you pick, but I *think* they're all available by the time you hit the first proper dungeon.

It's been so long, all of this is filtered through my memory!
when you get the second player depends on who it is.

I think most people it's right before you enter the Cave to Wendell.

But if it's Charlotte it's a little later.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Bought my copy of the collection and got Trials of Mana working on my SD2SNES.

I am so happy that this is an official romhack and still works on real hardware. GOTY for me for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Does local wireless (two switches connected directly) work for Collection of Mana - Trials of Mana multiplayer? Might play the original since the remake has no co-op.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Very hard to put the pieces together when some of the ideas went on to become Chrono Trigger

I do agree it deserves a Trials of Mana remake with a 3rd person camera and revised combat.
Yeah, this is like asking for the missing part of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
All these ideas were shuffled into future projects.
If you wanna play finished version of the missing WW dungeons, they're in Zelda TP.
You want that part of TP where you're fleeing from a gigantic spider?
That's in Spirit tracks.

There's a high chance that most of what was the initial plan for SD2 made its way into CT and SD3.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is like asking for the missing part of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
All these ideas were shuffled into future projects.
If you wanna play finished version of the missing WW dungeons, they're in Zelda TP.
You want that part of TP where you're fleeing from a gigantic spider?
That's in Spirit tracks.

There's a high chance that most of what was the initial plan for SD2 made its way into CT and SD3.

Yup. Plus, the scrapped parts of SD2 most likely only ever existed as draft documents and paper sheets, not actual programmed stuff. There was never a finished CD game that was complete and that Square deleted content and data from in order to fit into a cartridge. The CD game was canceled way before they had any significant programming done.