Trials of Mana PS4/Switch/PC (2020) and Mana Collection Switch announced

Slaythe

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bothers me is that they have only one male and female npc and it's ridiculous, but hopefully that's the kind of thing they add last.

It effectively is the least critical of things to finish but it does hurt exploration so hopefully they have time to flesh those out a bit. Identical soldiers and nomads and beasts etc... is just fine but humans need * some * variants.

That and I want characters to remove their armor to sleep :p . Nitpick !

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing that bothers me is that they have only one male and female npc and it's ridiculous, but hopefully that's the kind of thing they add last.

It effectively is the least critical of things to finish but it does hurt exploration so hopefully they have time to flesh those out a bit. Identical soldiers and nomads and beasts etc... is just fine but humans need * some * variants.
You're talking about the remake or the original game here?
Because if there's more models in the original games it makes no sense to expect the remake to at least not match the diversity of NPCs present in the game.

Slaythe

Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the remake or the original game here?
Because if there's more models in the original games it makes no sense to expect the remake to at least not match the diversity of NPCs present in the game.
Talking about the remake.

The original game was not great in that regard either, even though it wasn't AS bad as how things are currently.

For the record they took out the worst screenshot on the official site showing a really bad case of this issue so there's a chance this was just early build.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Talking about the remake.

The original game was not great in that regard either, even though it wasn't AS bad as how things are currently.

For the record they took out the worst screenshot on the official site showing a really bad case of this issue so there's a chance this was just early build.
This is a work in progress and the systems the game is targeting don't have the same limitations as the stock SFC so I'm sure it's just placeholder syndrome.
I mean I don't expect this in the final game

It's rather jarring.
Then again Original Secret of Mana had like 4 types of NPCs (not including old men) so who knows.
It would really be a bizarre choice.

Slaythe

Oct 25, 2017
This is a work in progress and the systems the game is targeting don't have the same limitations as the stock SFC so I'm sure it's just placeholder syndrome.
I mean I don't expect this in the final game

It's rather jarring.
Then again Original Secret of Mana had like 4 types of NPCs (not including old men) so who knows.
It would really be a bizarre choice.

Like I said this is my only "bad" thing that I've seen about this game so far.

Because if they all look the same, exploration is dead, which is a shame, because I'll actively try to avoid ever talking to anyone so that my immersion isn't destroyed completely.

But yeah they did take out that screenshot (still on steam but not on the main site anymore).

On the same batch of screenshots, Duran isn't holding the sword in his hand properly and the sword is flying through it.

So it's clearly very early on.

Also that NPC was an "inn owner" and in the original inn owners had their own (all identical) sprites.

We'll see, like I said, this is kind of stuff that's the least critical ( battle system, world realization, character animations, cutscene directing etc... is priority) BUT will make or break the game, it's just very easy to fix and I could see them doing it late.

They hadn't done any lip sync or VA for Riesz for instance.

I remain hopeful they can do something, but yeah I was just voicing the one bad thing I saw.

Everything else is really promising.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Do you mean that the US version is English-only as a whole ?
I'm pretty sure it is.
there's no language select option in the game (or they wouldn't have bothered manufacturing multiple Carts for PAL).
And I'm pretty sure there's no Quebec version and I don't remember Nintendo caring enough about Mexico and the rest of latin America to bother even having a presence in the early 90's.

Like I said this is my only "bad" thing that I've seen about this game so far.

Because if they all look the same, exploration is dead, which is a shame, because I'll actively try to avoid ever talking to anyone so that my immersion isn't destroyed completely.

But yeah they did take out that screenshot (still on steam but not on the main site anymore).

On the same batch of screenshots, Duran isn't holding the sword in his hand properly and the sword is flying through it.

So it's clearly very early on.

Also that NPC was an "inn owner" and in the original inn owners had their own (all identical) sprites.

We'll see, like I said, this is kind of stuff that's the least critical ( battle system, world realization, character animations, cutscene directing etc... is priority) BUT will make or break the game, it's just very easy to fix and I could see them doing it late.

They hadn't done any lip sync or VA for Riesz for instance.

I remain hopeful they can do something, but yeah I was just voicing the one bad thing I saw.

Everything else is really promising.
You basically said it all.
I'm not sure the game is that early (after all SoM Remake was released a while ago and they most likely switched to this game after SoMR was done).
But the build that is running during e3 seems early enough.
the game isn't even in fit state to let people play.
the game being released in 'early' 2020 means that there's no much time left to finish it but they're probably much farther than that in the remake now.
We'll see at the next showing....so TGS maybe?