• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if the series survived the remake of Secret of Mana I think we're good.

And what press conferences are you talking about ?

Anyway most stuff I saw from people, either they knew what that was and were super excited, either they didn't and said it looked very cute.

As long as they don't release this right before FF7 word of mouth can help it a lot like it helped DQ11 that they released right after Spiderman. (Square pls)

Sorry, dude. It is WAY past my bedtime and I am writing while tired (also watching that trailer on repeat) instead of sleeping. I meant I saw two groups of people comment on the Nintendo Direct (both the Easy Allies and Inside Gaming). Hell, Inside Gaming didn't even mention the Mana games and they talked about literally everything else.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Woah, this is huge

www.gameinformer.com

Trials of Mana Preview - Decades In The Making - Game Informer

The remake for an unlocalized JRPG gem got announced today and we got to talk to the developers behind it.

8. The story is not exactly the same as it was on the SNES. While the basic structure is the same, there will be an expansion on the ideas within it. For purists, the original version is out on Switch still, letting the team feel more comfortable reimagining the title.

10. The producers want to remake the entire series eventually, so there may be something for Legend of Mana if Trials of Mana sells well. They also want to eventually make new Mana games that channel the series' origins better.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, dude. It is WAY past my bedtime and I am writing while tired (also watching that trailer on repeat) instead of sleeping. I meant I saw two groups of people comment on the Nintendo Direct (both the Easy Allies and Inside Gaming). Hell, Inside Gaming didn't even mention the Mana games and they talked about literally everything else.

I just watched easy allies and they only said good things, they said it was great we get both the original and remake, and that the remake looks much higher budget than the last one, and the look reminds them of DQ11 ! They liked it.

The other guys I don't know them at all so I won't bother.

Anyway in a direct that broke the net with smash and zelda 2 you can't expect everyone to go crazy cause this game only is legendary if you actually know about it !

I'm sure more people will be excited for it when they see the unique narrative system and more of the exploration / combat.
The new screenshots we got looked even better than the trailer for instance.
And words of mouth !

Just pray the gods Square doesn't release this Febuary or March right next to 7. It's January or death at this point.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I just dont understand SE's rollout to lead up to Trials of Mana. They say they want these games to sell well then do shit like this:

Secret of Mana Remake: PC, PS4, Vita - One of the worst remakes I've played in a while. And I wouldn't have even played it if someone didn't gift it to me because the game looks awful. Plays awful too.
Mana Collection: Switch - Why is this exclusive? There is no reason for this to not be on the PS4. Then you shadow drop the game with little to no marketing and charge $40 for it? SE please...
Trials of Mana: PC, PS4, Switch - Now here we are. This game looks great but my goodness SE, the game has to defy all odds at this point if it's going to sell well.

Just-Cant-Even-Deal-With-You-Right-Now-Reaction-Gif.gif
.....I cant right now....

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, this is huge

www.gameinformer.com

The remake for an unlocalized JRPG gem got announced today and we got to talk to the developers behind it.

Move to Unreal Engine 4 confirmed.

Yeah I have faith that they are trying their best. The fact they, themselves, called Secret of Mana "a low budget remake that did not capture the art of the Snes version accurately" is both brutal and comforting.

I just dont understand SE's rollout to lead up to Trials of Mana. They say they want these games to sell well then do shit like this:

Secret of Mana Remake: PC, PS4, Vita - One of the worst remakes I've played in a while. And I wouldn't have even played it if someone didn't gift it to me because the game looks awful
Mana Collection: Switch - Why is this exclusive? There is no reason for this to not be one the PS4. Then you shadow drop the game with little to no marketing and charge $40 for it? SE please...
Trials of Mana: PC, PS4, Switch - Now here we are. This game looks good but my goodness SE, the game has to defy all odds at this point if it's going to sell well.

Just-Cant-Even-Deal-With-You-Right-Now-Reaction-Gif.gif
.....I cant right now....

Trials of Mana is entirely stand alone so it really doesn't matter what platforms the others are on.

For the collection, they said they had to keep it on Switch because nintendo had to provide the code. (they lost it like all the other games I take it)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I just watched easy allies and they only said good things, they said it was great we get both the original and remake, and that the remake looks much higher budget than the last one, and the look reminds them of DQ11 ! They liked it.

The other guys I don't know them at all so I won't bother.

Anyway in a direct that broke the net with smash and zelda 2 you can't expect everyone to go crazy cause this game only is legendary if you actually know about it !

I'm sure more people will be excited for it when they see the unique narrative system and more of the exploration / combat.
The new screenshots we got looked even better than the trailer for instance.
And words of mouth !

Just pray the gods Square doesn't release this Febuary or March right next to 7. It's January or death at this point.
Crazy to think just a day ago we were worried about how FF8 would turn out and not only is that looking promising, but they spring an incredible looking SD3 remake out of fucking nowhere that puts Adventures & Secret of Mana to shame.

Square-Enix is a force to be reckoned with when they decide to give a fuck.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't know if I'll ever get around to playing more of this series, but the game and character models look really good. You can tell they're actually putting effort into this.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Platinumed Secret of Mana remake on vita after never finishing it as a kid. Loved it! I'm in for Trials. It's so weird that the various games are spread across platforms though. Hopefully they eventually release a Mana remake collection / Mana original collection on all platforms.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, I'm practically speechless. This is what I've dreamed of for decades, and I never expected it to happen. Just... wow. They're actually doing this? Is this real? I've watched the trailer several times already and I still get chills. This feels like a dream!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumb question, but there are two other remakes of the GB/SNES Mana games, yeah? Are they good/available on the Switch?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is made by the same team and I think they deserve a lot of praise :

Adventures

adventures-of-mana-6.jpg

Secret

Secret-of-Mana.jpg

test-secret-of-mana-remake-jdg-01.jpg

impressions_secret_of_mana_remake_01.jpg

Trials

y_5cff4aa09d97b.jpg

y_5cff4aa0bc1cb.jpg

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

y_5cff4aa06acbb.jpg

This is a dumb question, but there are two other remakes of the GB/SNES Mana games, yeah? Are they good/available on the Switch?

No to both really, there were multiple remakes actually one was decent but it was from ages ago.

The recent ones are awful.
And not on Switch.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I actually really dug Sword of Mana as a remake, but I remember people ragging on it for its short length and difficulty (or lack thereof)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting those classes models !!!

d69b8c394354d8408972168db6703b70.png

8ac5592ded85b710520ec8ac0483d383.png

bceb3985397b4469df359691cb876ff8.png

d25b9e09c781fd7635c77e047c628494.png

Can somebody tell me if Secret of Mana has the original and "funny" German translation?

I can't confirm but as far as I know that collection is done by the team that made the mobile port, that had retranslated the entire game accurately.

So chances are it's using that.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Trials of Mana is entirely stand alone so it really doesn't matter what platforms the others are on.

For the collection, they said they had to keep it on Switch because nintendo had to provide the code. (they lost it like all the other games I take it)
I think ppl are less likely to buy Trials of Mana if they played the SOM Remake or couldn't play MC because it was exclusive. And do you have a link for the bolded? I would love to read up on how that happened. o_0

Jan 2, 2018
I can't confirm but as far as I know that collection is done by the team that made the mobile port, that had retranslated the entire game accurately.

So chances are it's using that.

Thank you! I'm hoping this is the case, because I wasn't really a fan of this style of translation with those random references like "Die Lindenstraße". Took me out of the game.

Do you have the source for that? Sounds really interesting!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's in the interview above.

As to why they did not have the code, keep in mind this is Square, that lost the source code to all kingdom hearts games on ps2, all the FF games on ps1 etc...

So you know damn well Seiken 3 was lost since they had never ported it anywhere else.

11. While the Secret of Mana remake was not on Switch, Trials of Mana is thanks to fan feedback over the lack of Mana on the console. Oyamada said that Collection of Mana was Switch-exclusive because they had to actually get the code for the games from Nintendo, meaning the Switch made sense.

Oct 25, 2017

As to why they did not have the code, keep in mind this is Square, that lost the source code to all kingdom hearts games on ps2, all the FF games on ps1 etc...

So you know damn well Seiken 3 was lost since they had never ported it anywhere else.
Nintendo has a vault with the code from a bunch of games third party devs released on their consoles?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I won't bother with the collection since 1 isn't enjoyable to me in it's original form, 2 is on my SNES classic, and I'll just wait to replay 3 (trials) when this remake comes out. Which looks gooooooooregous.

(edit) If this is really the same team behind the 1 and 2 remakes, they have really stepped up their game. I just assumed it was a different studio since it looks so much better.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
SD3 remake looks really good, for thr classic collection... I've played those games everywhere, not interested.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
s to why they did not have the code, keep in mind this is Square, that lost the source code to all kingdom hearts games on ps2, all the FF games on ps1 etc...
Honestly this surprises me a lot... I figured game companies just handed over final code for Nintendo to check and then manufacture... Was it common practice for Nintendo to actually hold on to sources?

Because they can't just be talking about final ROMS right? It wouldn't have been hard at all for them to get a hold of a cart and dump their own even if Nintendo kept master ROM files for every SNES game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
How is the story on all 3?
First one is pretty generic, the second is okay if on the lighter/childish side. Definitely not bad, but still pretty typical Shounen stuff of the era. The third has 6 stories that converge. You picked 3 characters at the beginning and then they converge as you play. The overall ton is darker and more fleshed out but only relatively. It's still a bright colored RPG and the best of the first 3 games.

Oct 29, 2017
www.gameinformer.com

Are we possibly burying the lede here? The remake of SD3 has no co-op, something that's long been a series staple:
RZNvj1l.jpg

Granted, I originally played through and loved SOM as a single-player, multi-character experience and the remake looks gorgeous, but I could see this being a reason why players might tilt towards playing the original in the collection (my GF and I just played through SOM and its remake together on the SNES Classic and PS4).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Collection of Mana honestly might be my announcement of the show. As someone who has held off on SoM for a while and also doesn't fuck with unofficial emulation so SD3 seemed like a pipe dream, this is huge. I ordered the physical copy from the SE website, so probably won't play for a long while, but it's still nice.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is the collection 40 dollars again? :/

That's two expensive for two SNES games one Gameboy title. Come on man :(

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
My physical preorder in Germany from the SE Store has been approved and they are only charging two weeks before shipping, all is right in the world! :D

Oct 28, 2017
Being able to switch voice acting languages -> :)
No multiplayer -> :(

I was so looking forward to playing this with my wife, we played Secret of Mana and SD 3 already together.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
SQEX losing the code for the first Seiken games sounds like prime SQEX ... good grief. How about you treat your legacy more carefully, SQEX?

Anyway, got a pre-order for the physical edition from the german SQEX store in, although it still has to be validated. Of course, i couldn't wait and got it digital last night, using my Gold Points i only paid ~ 17€ ... so that's ok for a double dip.

Why is the collection 40 dollars again? :/

That's two expensive for two SNES games one Gameboy title. Come on man :(

Translations are expensive, and JRPGs aren't strangers to bloated scripts. I know it's quite expensive for a 3 games collection, but in this case, i'd support them for actually releasing this game here localized. It only took more than twenty years. ^^

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd want to get the collection but it's a tad pricey. Maybe I'll wait for the retail version instead.

Besides, I've got Stardew Valley to sink my time on... and Bloodstained (next week!)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is the Remake by the same devs who did the SoM remake (I hope not)?

And as someone who never played the latter - why is it considered bad? (Not that I like the look of it anyway)

As for the Collection, I got super hyped immediately because I thought this is the first time a SNES game comes to Switch, right? So maybe more SNES titles start rolling now? Then I noticed this already came out in Japan 2 years ago.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, so the games on the collection aren't emulated? That's super surprising.

Any word on if the collection is getting a physical??

It's on the US/EU Square store already for preorder.