• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else pre-order on the NA Square store? Got a confirmation email just now, and unlike my FF7 pre-order listed as "pre-order, will not charge until later", this one did not and there's already the full $52 (after taxing and awful shipping...) charged to my card. Are they like, shipping it out early?

I was wanting to cancel this after solid cart confirmation, and just keep my Best Buy order. Never seen SE charge right away, though.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the trailer they showed in the direct for Trials is in game footage of the Switch version? Already debating on which console I want this on and if the Switch version looks like that I'm in. Otherwise, I may get the collection on Switch and Trials on PS4.

Edit: Maybe they will show it at Nintendo Tree House live!

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really digging the visuals of the Trials of Mana remake that they are showing on the Treehouse stream; it kind of has a Dragon Quest XI look. They did a good job translating the look of the characters to 3D.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks really nice on the Switch but looks a bit fuzzy. May still get it on PS4 depending on how I feel about it when I see the direct feed footage when ever it is released.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
The stream makes the game looks really good and super smooth. I wished they had taken the same level of care with Secret of Mana

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so that's a demo build, clearly some things are not done, texture streaming is a bit rough and some characters missing lip sync, no voice acting etc.. But they said it's because of the demo.

Very convinced with the art style, with how they handled combat. Obviously like every game, once you know how to play you make it better.

Only bad point is :

The characters do not take off their clothes to sleep =((((

But maybe that's because it was a special sleep...

Also obviously they were never gonna be able to have 500 unique NPCs but I think they should really do their best to avoid this : Talk to npc that gives you a hint, to... go talk to another identical npc. Just pick two different npcs and the problem is solved.

Game looks gorgeous.

I also think the character switch should NOT swap characters but just swap your control / camera. Nitpick though.

It's gonna be SO FUN to see how they redo the classes and abilities since a ton of them were botched in the original.

It looks SO CUTE, it performs also well on Switch already despite it is still 6-10 months off.

The load times are surprisingly atrocious on Switch but they merged every area into one big chunk which is supremely awesome.

Problem won't exist on ps4 / ps5 / PC I take it.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They announced the game will have Full VO at launch both English and Japanese and you will be able to choose. They are making sure newcomers can enjoy the new game (while still inviting to play the collection), i've never played the original so idk how related is the story to the first two.

The load times are surprisingly atrocious on Switch but they merged every area into one big chunk which is supremely awesome.

Problem won't exist on ps4 / ps5 / PC I take it.

They can improve that (it's possible some of those loadings were because of the cutscenes) between now and launch.

For now i was already surprised to see decent frame rate on the exploration and combat sections on the Switch which is the entry level version.

It's cool they are showing that first and not the other way around (flawless version on PC and PS4 Pro and then you see a mess on Switch and sometimes even base PS4).

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
The music was really good and playing this in 4K on PC and possibly PS4 Pro will make it pop that much more

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really related to the first two that's why they didn't call it Secret of Mana 2.

Just some nods here and there.

Also, for people thinking combat is slow, Duran is the absolute slowest fucking character in the game.

In the original Duran is SOOOOOOO SLOW. The fact he's like 6 times faster in this bodes very well for the fast characters like Kevin and Hawk.

They gave Kevin slow air combos which is funny probably to play on "agility" while Hawk is gonna be speed based I take it.

D84GcXEV4AAX20j.jpg

My King

D84KetzV4AEZjKk.jpg

Love the team shot !

And love how cartoony and emotive they kept the characters :

D84KetyUwAA8QU8.jpg

Also I guess you guys have a point, a game looking this strong visually on Switch was positive.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
This was probably my favorite reveal in all of E3 this year. SD3 was such a huge part of my videogame playing during my childhood, seeing this realized in 3D in this way is incredible. Hope it plays as good as it looks!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna have to... heh rework Duran's endgame story a little bit btw.

It just came back to me this isn't gonna go well nowadays ahah. Keep the Star Wars nod but tone it down.

If Hawk doesn't let his hair loose when he sleeps and Angela doesn't sleep naked I will riot.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Mana Collection price is outrageous

Still, if they do this with FF4-6 I'd probably pay it.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to see a demo walkthrough already. It looks so solid. No complaints. Showcasing the original and the remake back-to-back was a great decision.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I still can't believe how much effort and budget this remake seems to have. It's almost on par with DQXI. The Mana IP is almost dead and previous remakes were obviously made on a tight budget.
It's like living in a parallel universe lol

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't believe how much effort and budget this remake seems to have. It's almost on par with DQXI. The Mana IP is almost dead and previous remakes were obviously made on a tight budget.

Yeah, my SaGa fan side is jealous of my Mana fan side, despite SaGa also getting some love this year. I'd love to see this kind of care put into a SaGa Frontier remake.

(Granted, I'm pretty sure Square's SaGa development team is just Kawazu locked in a shed with an old PC and a small desk fan doing all of the coding and translation himself)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

It has about 10 times less budget as DQXI lol ...

Let's not get crazy here.

But it looks amazing for what it is and I can't praise the team enough for their huge glow up after the dreadful Secret of Mana remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We still doing female characters fighting in lingerie?

Have you seen what the guys are wearing ?

As for Angela she is a magic user that doesn't get close to enemies so she doesn't need armor.

For the others, when you change class they are supposed to get new designs that gives them more proper armor.

We don't know yet if the remake will have full on new models or just recolors though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I would have preferred if they had gone the Final Fantasy 7 Remake route with the costumes and updated them appropriately (while keeping the spirit of the original designs). I do really appreciate how faithful those models are, but some of those designs haven't transitioned as gracefully as others.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Have you seen what the guys are wearing ?

As for Angela she is a magic user that doesn't get close to enemies so she doesn't need armor.

For the others, when you change class they are supposed to get new designs that gives them more proper armor.

We don't know yet if the remake will have full on new models or just recolors though.
I would love is they got model updates but I doubt that will happen. That'd be over 42 outfits/models!

Edit: actually would that be 49 due to Kevin?

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I expect there to be 1st and 2nd tier class outfits with recolors/slight alterations for each. They're definitely going all-in on this project but unique models for every class would be insane.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
For those who missed it.

Remake footage starts around 5:10

Thank you! I just watched. Wow! This looks so much better than even what I saw in the trailer. It is going to be amazing to play on the Switch. The character art designs are what striking the most because of again how faithful they are to the original. But I also like how quality they are with the facial expressions and charm. The environments as well do not look too low budget. Ie. completely night and day difference between this and the Secret of Mana remake.

My biggest fear was the music, because the Secret of Mana Remake soundtrack was well, quite schizophrenic, with some great songs, and some utterly terrible ones. Thankfully all the tracks I heard (especially "Nuclear Fusion") sounded amazing. This is definitely going to be a surefire purchase in 2020. I'm amazed at how good it looks already with so much dev time left to go.

Hopefully, the OST will not bring back the fool who remixed (or rather, remassacred) these classics from the original :P

But keep the guys who did ones like these:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think a smart and efficient way to handle it would be :

Normal class = default model

Tier 1 class = new model with a color for Light and a color for Dark

Tier 2 = new model with a color for Light and a color for Dark

That way it's 3 models per character, with alterations not completely remade either. Kevin can just have one model with recolors for his transformation.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I think a smart and efficient way to handle it would be :

Normal class = default model

Tier 1 class = new model with a color for Light and a color for Dark

Tier 2 = new model with a color for Light and a color for Dark

That way it's 3 models per character, with alterations not completely remade either. Kevin can just have one model with recolors for his transformation.
I'm all in on seeing the new class models, I hope they go all out.

DID YOU SEE YOUR BOY HAWK HE LOOKS GLORIOUS