• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Is it weird that I think the characters look stupid in 3D but the sprites look badass?

Like the 3D versions make me never want to play that one.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could do without those crystal things and the noise they make (The charge bar just simply went up in the original when you attack) Otherwise very impressive especially after the SoM remake.
Maybe Chrono next?...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that's never played a Mana game, should I get the new Collection?

Are you familiar with Snes games ?
If yes and you're into the classics then the Mana games (more notably Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana) are some of the best Snes games.

If you're a new player that has skipped this era and just wants to check it out, while I do think they are great games, the price might be a bit stiff right now.
I would recommend waiting for the Trials of Mana remake which looks to be fantastic.

Also I can't replay those old games without muh nice CRT filter ... :p

unknown.png

I'm all in on seeing the new class models, I hope they go all out.

DID YOU SEE YOUR BOY HAWK HE LOOKS GLORIOUS

HE IS BEAUTIFUL

Even if they go the lazy route and just recolor it should still be effective lol. The perks of having godlike character models.

3189feaa4cd6fbc7d26c2c8f9358d1bd.jpg

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Diehard GameFan previews & review from the mid 1995.
Sure they mix up the title and what's with the "CD action/RPG" in the score review, IDK, but otherwise probably the best English coverage of the game from that time.

cFm6HGX.jpg

uZCmhBm.jpg

DWmUIkA.jpg

eJXs3nT.jpg

W0dz2sq.jpg

G6qwBFQ.jpg

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No multiplayer because of the new systems. It can't work locally and they said no plan for online so that pretty much sealed the deal.

I don't mind that because I don't know anyone locally who plays games and I don't want to pay for online MP

Hmm wonder if I can get some buddies to play it with me...probably not cause our timing is bad 😂

I don't mind playing it alone, I beat the Snes version by myself at least 4 times

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They may be going the economical route. Duran in that preview footage was sleeping in his normal outfit/charcter model. In the original they all had unique sleep sprites/outfits and as seen above, Duran and Angela sleep topless.

Now I don't expect there to be a topless Angela in the game files, but it seems they aren't even modifying the charcter models for sleep in any way.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ahhh that gamefan preview /review got me so fucking hyped when I was a teen
Hell yah i use to read that article and stare at at the art forever. i was a freshman in highschool at the time i was in love chrono trigger trying to get all 14 endings. and this game also had multiple endings i was ready.

Apr 19, 2018
That remake gameplay footage in the Treehouse video is looking great, and Kikuta's remastered music score is sounding pretty good too.

Also nice to see that they're making Faerie closer to her original in-sprite look with the blonde hair and blue dress, as opposed to the key artwork. (I do love this piece though. ^_^):

latest

Last edited:

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo Treehouse footage has me excited. Looks like a solid B Tier RPG. I will be buying it. I do wish the outfits on the female characters were changed up a bit. The Mana series was my favorite series growing up and it's hard sharing the same enthusiasm with my daughters when the women models are more as sexed up as they are. I know some of the dudes are not wearing much but it looks like it's meant to be more badass than sexy.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Since topic moved so fast...)

Anyone else pre-order on the NA Square store? Got a confirmation email just now, and unlike my FF7 pre-order listed as "pre-order, will not charge until later", this one did not and there's already the full $52 (after taxing and awful shipping...) charged to my card. Are they like, shipping it out early?

I was wanting to cancel this after solid cart confirmation, and just keep my Best Buy order. Never seen SE charge right away, though.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The Nintendo Treehouse footage has me excited. Looks like a solid B Tier RPG. I will be buying it. I do wish the outfits on the female characters were changed up a bit. The Mana series was my favorite series growing up and it's hard sharing the same enthusiasm with my daughters when the women models are more as sexed up as they are. I know some of the dudes are not wearing much but it looks like it's meant to be more badass than sexy.
Yeah at least in the original sprites Riesz was wearing armor.
Amazoness%20(Front).gif

Though Angela was just as bad.
Magician%20-%20Moon.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at least in the original sprites Riesz was wearing armor.
Amazoness%20(Front).gif

Though Angela was just as bad.
Magician%20-%20Moon.gif

39a34d11efa24145802d1f97919a07da.png

y_5cff4aa06acbb.jpg

That looks fine honestly.

It's just Angela that's a bit spicy.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Watched pieces of the Treehouse footage and it looks good, tho the OG sprites of the original version are still king. I am a bit sad as well that the characters go to bed FULLY CLOTHED (though maybe they'll change this in the final release). I remember my teenage perv self learning how to disable layers in ZSNES...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - while its tamer than a lot of games in the genre I wish I didnt have to deal with this spiciness when trying to get my 8 year old daughter into a series I was super into in my childhood.

There's 6 characters, you can simply not pick her and not have to deal with her at all.

Pick Riesz, Charlotte and Hawkeye and you're good to go !

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah - while its tamer than a lot of games in the genre I wish I didnt have to deal with this spiciness when trying to get my 8 year old daughter into a series I was super into in my childhood.
Wouldn't 8 be a bit young for a series where enemies can explode into a pile of bones anyway? There's no blood or anything but I'd think punching wolves into bone piles would be a bit much for a child.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't 8 be a bit young for a series where enemies can explode into a pile of bones anyway? There's no blood or anything but I'd think punching wolves into bone piles would be a bit much for a child.

Depends on the kid. When I was 8, most kids in my class played stuff like Mortal Kombat and saw a bunch of rated R horror movies. Even some cartoons back then were more than exploding bones. 8 isn't always so young for this stuff as it seems, but depends if the kid is even bothered by it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Children can handle way more than people think. They are also quite capable of detecting patronizing material. I don't think there is an age that the Mana series would be inappropriate for. Maybe certain children would be too sensitive for them, but I think those children would be in the minority.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Depends on the kid. When I was 8, most kids in my class played stuff like Mortal Kombat and saw a bunch of rated R horror movies. Even some cartoons back then were more than exploding bones. 8 isn't always so young for this stuff as it seems, but depends if the kid is even bothered by it.
I'm basing this on the fact that the poster feels the child is young enough to be bothered by Angela's outfit and special attack. If that's the case then, I'd think, blasting doggos into bones would also be of concern for that child.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Was there any news on a required download for the physical collection? I have it pre-ordered but I'm afraid is going to be a code in a box or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I'm glad that the remake seems to play smoothly. I'm not sure what's the exact framerate but it seems stable at the very least on Switch which was my biggest concern. UE4 is a fantastic engine.

Wouldn't mind a remake of Legend of Mana in this style.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
I'm basing this on the fact that the poster feels the child is young enough to be bothered by Angela's outfit and special attack. If that's the case then, I'd think, blasting doggos into bones would also be of concern for that child.
I think you're making the opposite point than what you're thinking. Mana games have always been super cutesy in a way that is appropriate for children. The exploding into smoke and bones in a non visceral way is a part of that. Regardless, my daughter and I play through the 3d Zelda series together which I feel is a more visceral violent than Mana. I'm not concerned by that on display here. I'm just saying its I can see me selecting badass dudes and then she will want to select a chick to play as and the options are either a kid or women that are more sexed up than badass, in comparison to the boys.

That said, I dont think this is especially egregious, especially compared to other games. I'll definitely be picking this up next year, and we will hopefully have played through the collection together by then.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're making the opposite point than what you're thinking. Mana games have always been super cutesy in a way that is appropriate for children. The exploding into smoke and bones in a non visceral way is a part of that. Regardless, my daughter and I play through the 3d Zelda series together which I feel is a more visceral violent than Mana. I'm not concerned by that on display here. I'm just saying its I can see me selecting badass dudes and then she will want to select a chick to play as and the options are either a kid or women that are more sexed up than badass, in comparison to the boys.

That said, I dont think this is especially egregious, especially compared to other games. I'll definitely be picking this up next year, and we will hopefully have played through the collection together by then.

Yeah there's just one tiny problem, which is that Riesz is one of the most bad ass character in the game...

Imagine feeling bad that your Daughter is liking this character

33bf7g.gif

And no, Duran showing his abs with a short shirt is not "bad ass".

Like I said the only character that could be problematic is Angela, and that's only if you focus on that.

Apr 19, 2018
Pulling myself away a bit from Trials of Mana, I'm checking out the other games in the Collection, and I gotta say, the Seiken titles are a wonderful fit for the Switch. Especially in portable mode, where the big detailed sprites are easy on the eyes, even on the smaller screen.

Any initial sting I might have felt from shelling out for the purportedly steep $40 cost is diminished by the fact that I now have three near-perfect ports of these classic games on the go. Well worth.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's just one tiny problem, which is that Riesz is one of the most bad ass character in the game...

Like I said the only character that could be problematic is Angela, and that's only if you focus on that.

Riesz looks great, but I think a slight adjustment would have removed any fanservicy elements (which I do think are pretty tired). Angela is definitely the character that stands out, though. I wouldn't put this in the major problem category, but I can see why some people would be irked by it.

Also, let us not slander Duran. He has always looked like a badass (even if his design does scream Masters of the Universe by way of Japan).

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Have people gotten far enough into the game to see how the official localization stacks up against the fan ones?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Riesz looks great, but I think a slight adjustment would have removed any fanservicy elements (which I do think are pretty tired). Angela is definitely the character that stands out, though. I wouldn't put this in the major problem category, but I can see why some people would be irked by it.

Also, let us not slander Duran. He has always looked like a badass (even if his design does scream Masters of the Universe by way of Japan).

I didn't say he wasn't bad ass. I said him showing his skin like that absolutely is not "bad ass". He is bad ass despite that.

Like if you see a shirt like that on a character you don't think "wow he's so cool" lol.

Have people gotten far enough into the game to see how the official localization stacks up against the fan ones?

It's of superior quality.
The font used is kind of bad.