• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
So, does anyone know if the physical edition of Collection of Mana comes on a cart, or is it just a download code in a box?

Also, is there still no update for the physical Japanese version that adds English support?

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
In the Uk we got all our hype from Super Play:

2Vs6B9h.jpg

Quality. One of the five UK mags that inspired me to become a games journo during my teenage years.

I remember reading Super Play's articles on Square's games and wishing I could import games without high prices and the language barrier.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Riesz looks great, but I think a slight adjustment would have removed any fanservicy elements (which I do think are pretty tired). Angela is definitely the character that stands out, though. I wouldn't put this in the major problem category, but I can see why some people would be irked by it.

Also, let us not slander Duran. He has always looked like a badass (even if his design does scream Masters of the Universe by way of Japan).
Considering what we've seen so far, they've put a lot of effort into capturing the sprites and concept art in thier 3D models. Why mess that up by making needless changes to eliminate fan service? The changes we've seen so far seem to be due to technical limitations, like the charcters sleeping in full armor.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, does anyone know if the physical edition of Collection of Mana comes on a cart, or is it just a download code in a box?
God, I hope the latter is not the case because if so then there's no reason to get this physically nor justification from Square Enix whatsoever, I don't think the game is even 500MB for God's sake.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I'm still leaning towards it being a cart, since they have not yet disclosed a code-only. Almost all of the promo box art used excludes that bit.

I should cancel my SE copy... Mad they already charged 2 months ahead of time :/

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

Also, is there still no update for the physical Japanese version that adds English support?

If it's a code then I'm sending it back to Amazon. Their wording by "limited physical edition" to me implies a cart, but who knows anymore with modern gaming.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone bought and played the new collection of mana series yet? I'm specifically wondering how the 2nd and 3rd game feel as I'm not super into the first game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if it's just a code it won't be limited. It'd a cart in Japan and NA release for physical is sadly in late August.

Long preorder to release window also means SE wants to see how many preorders they get before getting the carts manufactured. The collection is afaik 350 MB should easily fit into a sub 1GB cart. The kind you might see Indies use that sell on a limited run. Cost won't be an issue in terms of cartridges

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if it's just a code it won't be limoted.

Long preorder to release window also means SE wants to see how many preorders they get before getting the carts manufactured. The collection is afaik 350 MB should easily fit into a sub 1GB cart. The kind you might see Indies use that sell on a limited run. Cost won't be an issue in terms of cartridges

Yeah it definately sounds like they may be gauging pre-orders aa how many they manufacture.

I definately see this as a single-print run, and don't expect reprints. I think the Secret Remaster did get a (small) second print, but stayed Gamestop exclusive.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what we've seen so far, they've put a lot of effort into capturing the sprites and concept art in thier 3D models. Why mess that up by making needless changes to eliminate fan service? The changes we've seen so far seem to be due to technical limitations, like the charcters sleeping in full armor.

I would say because the fan service cheapens the game a little. It isn't something that comes across in the original sprites (despite it being there), so it doesn't feel like it is necessary to me. I love what was done with Tifa in the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, I think something similar could have been done with Angela. I don't want to rag on about it, but it is one of the few things I don't love about Trials of Mana.

I didn't say he wasn't bad ass. I said him showing his skin like that absolutely is not "bad ass". He is bad ass despite that.

Like if you see a shirt like that on a character you don't think "wow he's so cool" lol.

Please PM me your address so that I can send you a Duran shirt. Everyone deserves to look like a badass and I want that for you, Slaythe. Once you wear that bad boy, and strut down the street, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this is so cool...

Oriiginal SD3/Trials game boss battle:

Same boss battle in Trials remake. I LOVE seeing how this is remade 25 years later. Gorgeous:

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this is so cool...

Same boss battle in Trials remake. I LOVE seeing how this is remade 25 years later. Gorgeous:

That definitely helped reassure me about the soundtrack hopefully turning out well. The original SoM remake as noted before was sadly lacking in its execution.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if it's just a code it won't be limited. It'd a cart in Japan and NA release for physical is sadly in late August.

I actually think that the smallest Switch cart available is the 1GB cart, but you do make a good point. I guess I'll place a preorder for the NA physical version.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to grab an extra physical copy just in case the collection becomes rare...

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Been binging the hell out of FFA yesterday and especially today while watching Treehouse in the background and podcasts after. Really enjoying it still, but getting s little stale so I turned to some walkthroughs a bit. Just beat the Dark Lord and off to find a sword needed to progress now. Lots of nostalgia, but I will be glad to be done and move on to Secret of Mana that I've never played beyond the first few minutes in emulators.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I would say because the fan service cheapens the game a little. It isn't something that comes across in the original sprites (despite it being there), so it doesn't feel like it is necessary to me.

First of all she was literally slapping her ass in the original so...

And they DID change her design.

d2ca66eb4e7fdbac527320fe4c738cf6.png

They made her side flowing thingies a lot larger to cover her a lot more.

Hopefully they remake those in this engine

They literally just remade them, they are not going to be stuck in some sort of remake loop lol.

They said they want to move on to creating an original work next time or maybe Legend.

Has anyone bought and played the new collection of mana series yet? I'm specifically wondering how the 2nd and 3rd game feel as I'm not super into the first game.

I don't understand why they didn't include the GBA version of the first game, it fit perfectly with the other two.

Anyway the gameboy version is insanely dated despite cool to see the roots of a genre defining action rpg.

If you can play the gba version try it out.

Second and third game are a lot more polished. (from game boy to super nintendo so yes..)

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It really would have been awesome for them to include Sword of Mana and Legend of Mana to round things out. Alas.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
First of all she was literally slapping her ass in the original so...

I did not remember that. I still don't think fan service is a great fit for the series. Mana feels more dignified than that to me. I'm not saying it hasn't always existed here and there, but I still don't think it is something that fits the games particularly well.

I get that some people love that stuff, but it is personally a bit of a downer for me.

And they DID change her design.

d2ca66eb4e7fdbac527320fe4c738cf6.png

They made her side flowing thingies a lot larger to cover her a lot more.

Well... it is something, I guess.

*edit*

Looking at the original sprite, this isn't much of a change. Like, the fabric is definitely wider in Trials, but the effect is essentially the same (as her buttocks was completely obfuscated by shadows in the original sprite).

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I did not remember that. I still don't think fan service is a great fit for the series. Mana feels more dignified than that to me. I'm not saying it hasn't always existed here and there, but I still don't think it is something that fits the games particularly well.

I get that some people love that stuff, but it is personally a bit of a downer for me.

Well... it is something, I guess.
Its a mix of fanservice and cheekiness. See the Trials remake with how Charlotte is also slapping her bottom (and i believe also sticking her tongue out) when shes doing her special. It's more cute quirky goofiness the series is known for than fanservice. At least the classic animations anyway.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Its a mix of fanservice and cheekiness. See the Trials remake with how Charlotte is also slapping her bottom (and i believe also sticking her tongue out) when shes doing her special. It's more cute quirky goofiness the series is known for than fanservice. At least the classic animations anyway.

I can see that. Like I said, I don't even recall the butt slap (though I only ever used Angela for maybe one playthough), so I don't have much of an opinion on that. It hasn't even been that long since I played Seiken Densetsu 3. The last time I played through it was when the Japanese version of the collection came out. Though, I didn't have Angela in my party (she is probably my least favorite character).

As I stated before, the fan service we have seen isn't a huge deal in my mind. I have only talked about it here as much as I have because I have been responding to other people responding to me.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this is so cool...

Wow, this Trials of Mana gameplay looks so much improved. The original's combat was pure trash. This looks pretty decent!

However, the graphics lack the density and detail of the SNES 2D graphics. The original was so lush. It was style over substance. This looks like a low budget title with better gameplay.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Wow, this Trials of Mana gameplay looks so much improved. The original's combat was pure trash. This looks pretty decent!

However, the graphics lack the density and detail of the SNES 2D graphics. The original was so lush. It was style over substance. This looks like a low budget title with better gameplay.
Actually on the combat, it does kinda look stiff based off the attack string Duran is shown using in the demo. Pretty linear TBH. Hopefully theres still more tweaking ahead.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

They are definitely going in a different direction with Trials of Mana, but Seiken Densetsu 3 had really awesome combat, in my opinion. I think it would frustrate people who want to hack and slash, but I like it having that turn-based twist.

That being said, I can see why they would go for something a little more accessible for the remake. It certainly doesn't make me mad. I am super looking forward to getting my hands on it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think the character designs are fine as it is.

Anyways, any word on the price?

I'm thinking about buying the remake day 1 (something I rarely do).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
They are definitely going in a different direction with Trials of Mana, but Seiken Densetsu 3 had really awesome combat, in my opinion. I think it would frustrate people who want to hack and slash, but I like it having that turn-based twist.

That being said, I can see why they would go for something a little more accessible for the remake. It certainly doesn't make me mad. I am super looking forward to getting my hands on it.

You know the game plays itself if you hold down the A button in the original, right? Your movement and motion is completely pointless in combat. Dodging was a random and based on your stats and not ability to read enemy movements and not your posiitioning.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all over this remake. I emulated the SD3 a bunch back in the day and loved it. SoM may still be my favorite for world design, but the gameplay in 3 is sweet and I love the class change system. I usually played Lise, wonder if I should start with her again....

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually on the combat, it does kinda look stiff based off the attack string Duran is shown using in the demo. Pretty linear TBH. Hopefully theres still more tweaking ahead.

Look at Duran fight in the original. Hopefully that clears up what you saw.

He's the absolute slowest of the cast and could only attack once then had recovery... So yeah I think we're good, Riesz seemed quick and I'm sure Hawk will be a great speed fighter.

I highly disagree.
The game looks bad when there is compression, like many games that use saturated colors. Samurai Shodown looks awful on video and decent in person.

We still do not have direct feed footage but higher quality already shows a drastic difference with the badly compressed video footage.

Qbimh3p.jpg

Based of that kind of IQ, I think the blurry mess from youtube looks really good.

As for it being more or less lush, keep in mind this is the Switch version running on UE4. Look at DQ11 on ps4 and on Switch. We'll see what PC and ps4 look like in the future.

Looking at the original sprite, this isn't much of a change. Like, the fabric is definitely wider in Trials, but the effect is essentially the same (as her buttocks was completely obfuscated by shadows in the original sprite).

See that's my point though. The sprite, you are correct, did this. But her actual design (artwork) did not.

They actually changed her design to avoid having something out of place and even more fan service-y, which is why I pointed it out when you said it wasn't fitting the original. It absolutely does and they changed it to make sure it did. Otherwise she would have two thin little thingies flying and yeah...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
See that's my point though. The sprite, you are correct, did this. But her actual design (artwork) did not.

They actually changed her design to avoid having something out of place and even more fan service-y, which is why I pointed it out when you said it wasn't fitting the original. It absolutely does and they changed it to make sure it did. Otherwise she would have two thin little thingies flying and yeah...

I see your point, but from the front she didn't have that same fanservicey effect in the 16 bit version, even if the design is essentially the same.

Anyway, whatever man. I get your position, I think we just have a bit of a disagreement on this one aspect. It doesn't change the fact that I am still very enthusiastic for this game.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Has anything happened regarding the physical collection is the last couple days? Especially regarding EU availability, has it only been on the SE online store so far?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Has anything happened regarding the physical collection is the last couple days? Especially regarding EU availability, has it only been on the SE online store so far?

I believe so, some people have been able to order from the Italian Square store in countries that the french and english store wouldn't deliver to.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

Aw man, you think so? I don't think this looks bland or low budget at ALL. I'm so pleasantly surprised at how rich it all looks, in fact.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I could see someone saying that about the Adventures of Mana remake or the recently released Secret of Mana remake, but looking at the character models we've seen, their facial animations, and the environments we've seen so far I don't at all get how you can think this about this Trials of Mana remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I see your point, but from the front she didn't have that same fanservicey effect in the 16 bit version, even if the design is essentially the same.

Anyway, whatever man. I get your position, I think we just have a bit of a disagreement on this one aspect. It doesn't change the fact that I am still very enthusiastic for this game.

I'm someone who typically can not stand that kind of fan service, especially coming from Japan when it's on younger girls or when it's completely out of control.

DQHoCnDWkAI6ZGT.jpg

I literally skipped that game because of those designs.

But when I look at this

art-001.jpg

I wouldn't want to change anything. It may be nostalgia but they nailed every character so well and the art is so pretty, I'm not even questioning it.

It's just great character art. If it ruins the game for some people it's a shame. Especially since, worst case scenario, you can just not pick the character and never had to look at her.
But hey hopefully they'll have some new models for class changes and they can update it !
I could see someone saying that about the Adventures of Mana remake or the recently released Secret of Mana remake, but looking at the character models we've seen, their facial animations, and the environments we've seen so far I don't at all get how you can think this about this Trials of Mana remake.
Yeah, it may not be the best looking game of this gen, but I think it is still pretty damn sharp.

Aw man, you think so? I don't think this looks bland or low budget at ALL. I'm so pleasantly surprised at how rich it all looks, in fact.

The game looks super poor on video because of the terrible compression.

The few high quality screenshots we got look great. He does have a point regarding the vegetation but I pointed out that we are looking at the WORST version of the game, and it's running on UE4. Switch versions always make concessions so let's wait to see what ps4 and PC are like !
I think it looks great regardless even on switch. It's either gonna look better or run at 60 FPS so either way is fine ! PC might be both :D .

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Hoo boy, playing SNES-era action RPGs like this feels pretty fucking bad compared to modern games. Unlike FF or similar combat system, movement and attacking has not aged well.

I loved these games growing up, but am not finding (SD3 especially) them much fun to control, and thus, play.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Hoo boy, playing SNES-era action RPGs like this feels pretty fucking bad compared to modern games. Unlike FF or similar combat system, movement and attacking has not aged well.

I loved these games growing up, but am not finding (SD3 especially) them much fun to control, and thus, play.
Secret of Mana's fighting mechanics are weird by... pretty much any standard, but they do have a logic to them that you can use to your advantage. For example, you can attack an enemy that's being damaged and the hit will be queued up to trigger the moment it recovers, but you can only queue up one hit at a time like this. Attacking before you recover your stamina does pathetic damage, but it still stuns the enemy, and it can be preferable to do that over letting the enemy attack you while you're waiting to recover.

I think Trials of Mana is pretty shallow in comparison, since you don't even have the option of attacking before recovering completely, and your speed is restricted while fighting. It can still be fun, but it feels a lot more like pure attrition.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think og Trials of mana has the coat of a typical action game while it really isn't and that throws people off a lot.

Also why they decided to just scrap it and make a full on action game for the remake.

To appreciate og Trials I recommend going with Hawk, Charlotte and Riesz, that gives you a decent party that's fast and covers all areas.

Like the way the battle ever shines is by strategizing, using spells and items properly etc... it wasn't about dodging or combos. But yeah it looks like it is that type of game so it feels frustrating if that's how you go about it.

Don't hesitate to use the save states if some fights are too hard.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What a pain... Since stupid Square Store already charged my card within 24 hours (even though they only charge a few weeks before release...), I have to go through their Zen Helpdesk to request a cancellation and refund. I think I'll just call them if I don't hear back by Friday. I'm NOT paying $55 for their awful shipping prices if it's NOT exclusive (I want to keep my Best Buy order... GCU brought it down to only $35 after tax...)

It's why I made a couple posts on it previously, since I have a feeling that a few people here still have their SE Store orders. So just keep this in mind. I'm expecting a headache for this :/

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
So... I haven't bought the EU release yet because of the high price, but I guess it shares the same SKU as the US release right? Or does it have language differences?

Regarding Secret of Mana, it seems we have access to the original, unmodified ROMs for PAL languages (French, Spanish etc) which also mean they run in 50Hz and are slower, but we also have the 60Hz US version when choosing English (should be the only 60Hz one actually)?

Also, do saves work cross-versions? I'm wondering cause that would be great and surprising (M2's magic!), as some glitches were fixed in PAL releases for instance.

As for Trials of Mana, since there has been work and modifications on the original Japanese ROM for the translation, have they also fixed some issues from the original release? I remember some magics don't really work properly, and that critical hits never occur despite being supposed to be in the game actually.

I guess all versions of Trials of Mana run in 60Hz too cause 50Hz wouldn't make any sense in that case, but I'm asking just in case :)