• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yup. Plus, the scrapped parts of SD2 most likely only ever existed as draft documents and paper sheets, not actual programmed stuff. There was never a finished CD game that was complete and that Square deleted content and data from in order to fit into a cartridge. The CD game was canceled way before they had any significant programming done.
Did Square even have a prototype to work with even?
I know Nasir is a real life wizard but I don't think even he could have repurposed specific prototype code to the SNES like that.
From what we know space was the major contention for Square at the time and why they were fed up of working on carts.
I can see them deciding that the scope of the project was far too big to fit a regular SNES cart and going from there.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched the Treehouse remake footage like five times now. Guessing the demo's not on the E3 floor? I need more gameplay videos! This looks so great.
I'm hoping class changes aren't just palette swaps since some of the classic art designs are so much more interesting.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God the atmosphere in secret of mana is still top notch, especially that opening song and the back story bit, it builds the world so well. Square soft and enix's snes rpgs just felt so god damn evocative

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bothers me is that they have only one male and female npc and it's ridiculous, but hopefully that's the kind of thing they add last.

It effectively is the least critical of things to finish but it does hurt exploration so hopefully they have time to flesh those out a bit. Identical soldiers and nomads and beasts etc... is just fine but humans need * some * variants.

That and I want characters to remove their armor to sleep :p . Nitpick !

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing that bothers me is that they have only one male and female npc and it's ridiculous, but hopefully that's the kind of thing they add last.

It effectively is the least critical of things to finish but it does hurt exploration so hopefully they have time to flesh those out a bit. Identical soldiers and nomads and beasts etc... is just fine but humans need * some * variants.
You're talking about the remake or the original game here?
Because if there's more models in the original games it makes no sense to expect the remake to at least not match the diversity of NPCs present in the game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the remake or the original game here?
Because if there's more models in the original games it makes no sense to expect the remake to at least not match the diversity of NPCs present in the game.

Talking about the remake.

The original game was not great in that regard either, even though it wasn't AS bad as how things are currently.

For the record they took out the worst screenshot on the official site showing a really bad case of this issue so there's a chance this was just early build.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Talking about the remake.

The original game was not great in that regard either, even though it wasn't AS bad as how things are currently.

For the record they took out the worst screenshot on the official site showing a really bad case of this issue so there's a chance this was just early build.
This is a work in progress and the systems the game is targeting don't have the same limitations as the stock SFC so I'm sure it's just placeholder syndrome.
I mean I don't expect this in the final game
ss_05b3bcc83e744c404056ec99bf563043fd3eb11c.1920x1080.jpg

It's rather jarring.
Then again Original Secret of Mana had like 4 types of NPCs (not including old men) so who knows.
It would really be a bizarre choice.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is a work in progress and the systems the game is targeting don't have the same limitations as the stock SFC so I'm sure it's just placeholder syndrome.
I mean I don't expect this in the final game
ss_05b3bcc83e744c404056ec99bf563043fd3eb11c.1920x1080.jpg

It's rather jarring.
Then again Original Secret of Mana had like 4 types of NPCs (not including old men) so who knows.
It would really be a bizarre choice.

Like I said this is my only "bad" thing that I've seen about this game so far.

Because if they all look the same, exploration is dead, which is a shame, because I'll actively try to avoid ever talking to anyone so that my immersion isn't destroyed completely.

But yeah they did take out that screenshot (still on steam but not on the main site anymore).

On the same batch of screenshots, Duran isn't holding the sword in his hand properly and the sword is flying through it.

So it's clearly very early on.

Also that NPC was an "inn owner" and in the original inn owners had their own (all identical) sprites.

We'll see, like I said, this is kind of stuff that's the least critical ( battle system, world realization, character animations, cutscene directing etc... is priority) BUT will make or break the game, it's just very easy to fix and I could see them doing it late.

They hadn't done any lip sync or VA for Riesz for instance.

I remain hopeful they can do something, but yeah I was just voicing the one bad thing I saw.

Everything else is really promising.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Do you mean that the US version is English-only as a whole ?
I'm pretty sure it is.
there's no language select option in the game (or they wouldn't have bothered manufacturing multiple Carts for PAL).
And I'm pretty sure there's no Quebec version and I don't remember Nintendo caring enough about Mexico and the rest of latin America to bother even having a presence in the early 90's.

Like I said this is my only "bad" thing that I've seen about this game so far.

Because if they all look the same, exploration is dead, which is a shame, because I'll actively try to avoid ever talking to anyone so that my immersion isn't destroyed completely.

But yeah they did take out that screenshot (still on steam but not on the main site anymore).

On the same batch of screenshots, Duran isn't holding the sword in his hand properly and the sword is flying through it.

So it's clearly very early on.

Also that NPC was an "inn owner" and in the original inn owners had their own (all identical) sprites.

We'll see, like I said, this is kind of stuff that's the least critical ( battle system, world realization, character animations, cutscene directing etc... is priority) BUT will make or break the game, it's just very easy to fix and I could see them doing it late.

They hadn't done any lip sync or VA for Riesz for instance.

I remain hopeful they can do something, but yeah I was just voicing the one bad thing I saw.

Everything else is really promising.
You basically said it all.
I'm not sure the game is that early (after all SoM Remake was released a while ago and they most likely switched to this game after SoMR was done).
But the build that is running during e3 seems early enough.
the game isn't even in fit state to let people play.
the game being released in 'early' 2020 means that there's no much time left to finish it but they're probably much farther than that in the remake now.
We'll see at the next showing....so TGS maybe?

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
So I love this collection and it's great to finally see Trials of Mana officially translated, but who at M2 / Square Enix decided it was ok to make the background frame borders mandatory? They're so distracting and I much prefer not having any sort of background art. Really hope this gets addressed.

D9EeK8TUEAETGS9

Literally EVERY collection in the past few years lets you turn off borders, some of those were also developed by M2:

Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Contra Anniversary Collection
The Disney Afternoon Collection
Mega Man Legacy Collection 1+2
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I wanna be interested in this remake but everything I've read about this Mana game over the years made it sound not-Secret of Mana like. Which doesn't have ta be a bad thing but it does make it an unknown factor. It seems more and more like Mana games are like FF games in that they really don't play the same as one another.

On another note are they really gonna leave Adventures of Mana to forever rot on Vita/mobile? A quick & dirty pc/console port packed in with Trials of Mana would be nice.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna be interested in this remake but everything I've read about this Mana game over the years made it sound not-Secret of Mana like. Which doesn't have ta be a bad thing but it does make it an unknown factor. It seems more and more like Mana games are like FF games in that they really don't play the same as one another.

huh? SD3/Trials is about as Mana as it gets, assuming SoM is your focal point. everything afterward though... not so much

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
huh? SD3/Trials is about as Mana as it gets, assuming SoM is your focal point. everything afterward though... not so much
Coulda swore I read the battle system was pretty different, something about having a job system, and other things. Could be mixing it up with Legend. Secrets pretty simplistic in most areas which is certainly my kinda thing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Coulda swore I read the battle system was pretty different, something about having a job system, and other things. Could be mixing it up with Legend. Secrets pretty simplistic in most areas which is certainly my kinda thing.

combat is pretty much built from SoM. only big difference is power attack charging is passive, no more pressing down a button like you're playing mega man. job system is mostly complimentary

it is a bigger game with more "depth" but pretty much the same beast

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
combat is pretty much built from SoM. only big difference is power attack charging is passive, no more pressing down a button like you're playing mega man. job system is mostly complimentary

it is a bigger game with more "depth" but pretty much the same beast
Cool, good deal! Thanks for clearing that up. Games going on my looking forward to list!

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be a retail release for the Mana collection? As £34 for a digital only title is way too expensive.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Do we know of the physical for the collection is just a download code ? Wario64 seemed to imply it

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So I love this collection and it's great to finally see Trials of Mana officially translated, but who at M2 / Square Enix decided it was ok to make the background frame borders mandatory? They're so distracting and I much prefer not having any sort of background art. Really hope this gets addressed.

D9EeK8TUEAETGS9

Literally EVERY collection in the past few years lets you turn off borders, some of those were also developed by M2:

Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Contra Anniversary Collection
The Disney Afternoon Collection
Mega Man Legacy Collection 1+2
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

I've owned this compilation since 2017 when it launched on Japan's eShop and it was in that version too so keeping the borders is intentional on their part. Unlike the other borders in compilations I actually didn't mind these too much so at least it's not too intrusive for me at least, but yeah, don't expect a removal.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never played any mana game, is the collection worth it or should i wait for a price drop? 40$ seems stiff

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I've owned this compilation since 2017 when it launched on Japan's eShop and it was in that version too so keeping the borders is intentional on their part. Unlike the other borders in compilations I actually didn't mind these too much so at least it's not too intrusive for me at least, but yeah, don't expect a removal.

Ultra sadface. Funny too, considering M2 and Konami just patched the Castlevania and Contra Collections with some added features.

Maybe if enough Collection of Mana buyers requested it......but who am I kidding?

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
What is funny, at least to me, is that even though the game is filled with bugs the game feels super balanced (with the sole exception of the 3rd tier classes)

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
It isn't, should be available on Amazon and other big retailers/shops

Heck, GameFly has it listed on their website. Going through them so I can shave a few bucks off cost of the game. At least that's as long as I can hold out and not grab it from the eShop. I really do want that case though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
What is funny, at least to me, is that even though the game is filled with bugs the game feels super balanced (with the sole exception of the 3rd tier classes)

i think the only major bug with regard to balance is DEX did literally nothing. i'm assuming they finally fixed it though

and while not a bug hawkeye/lise's final boss was absurdly hard... got the feeling it wasn't quite intentional and somebody goofed there. but who knows

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a 2020 title so it's got plenty of time left for development. And I was surprised how good it looks this far out from release tbh. Some games that are supposedly coming out sooner (Contra(lol) and Panzer) look much much more rougher around the edges.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Do we know if collection of mana physical is a download code ? There was some doubts around it