• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
19a37b5d2069bd5d565b31f2baba6b50.jpg

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
The Japanese site has the designs for all of the tier 2 classes.

Click the character, click the right button below their name, then click the floaty text to swap between light/dark versions.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese site has the designs for all of the tier 2 classes.

Click the character, click the right button below their name, then click the floaty text to swap between light/dark versions.

Damn the artworks for this game are gorgeous.

The tier 2 classes look pretty cute all around. I cant wait to see what they'll do for tier 3.

Clearly they cant make 4 more classes that's too much work. Maybe just make it light light and dark dark ?

Also will Liz and Angela manage to conjure pants with any of the tier 3 classes ? That's the real mystery.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright.

So lots of news.

First of all we are getting a 3D overworld map.

z_5dcaad513879b.jpg

And they revealed 3 key artworks.

04_img.jpg

03_img.jpg

02_img.jpg

And last but not least...
All the classes have been revealed.

And they are using the original designs 1:1 . They went the extra mile and made 7 models PER character.

So that brings in the good and bad you'd expect.

The good...

duran_img_hikari_class3_1.png

hawkeye_img_yami_class3_2.png

ries_img_hikari_class3_1.png

The .... bad .... (I actually laughed out loud when I saw the mad men actually did it)

ries_img_yami_class3_2.png

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
People don't believe me when i say that the good thing about old games is that we were shielded from some of the crap we couldn't discern.

the concept arts are gorgeous though!

went to the official site,
dear god some of the outfits are stripperiffic!
they barely managed to avoid that for Charlotte as well!

Oct 25, 2017
My only disappointment with that Riesz design is not leaning more into the wolf pelt aspect. The idea of this almost cave-woman "being" a wolf full of chains just to show off how powerful she is is great, but at least from that pic it's selling more how she is wearing a bikini than anything else.
Might be faithful to the artwork, but isn't as striking or impressive as the sprite rendition:
rieszdl.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
People don't believe me when i say that the good thing about old games is that we were shielded from some of the crap we couldn't discern.

the concept arts are gorgeous though!

went to the official site,
dear god some of the outfits are stripperiffic!
they barely managed to avoid that for Charlotte as well!

charlotte_img_hikari_class3_1.png

charlotte_img_yami_class3_1.png

charlotte_img_yami_class3_2.png

These are fine honestly.

My only disappointment with that Riesz design is not leaning more into the wolf pelt aspect. The idea of this almost cave-woman "being" a wolf full of chains just to show off how powerful she is is great, but at least from that pic it's selling more how she is wearing a bikini than anything else.
Might be faithful to the artwork, but isn't as striking or impressive as the sprite rendition:
rieszdl.gif

duran_img_yami_class3_2.png

I think this sort of has the same issue. Those characters are "too cute" so those raw designs come out less menacing. And in the case of Riesz she's literally wearing a bikini so yeah..

I kinda like her dragoon armor.

ries_img_yami_class3_1.png

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Good lord some of those outfits are bad lol.

Still jarring how much better this game looks overall compared to the Secret of Mana remake. Kudos to Square Enix for apparently listening to the feedback and doing better instead of just not touching the idea again.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this sort of has the same issue. Those characters are "too cute" so those raw designs come out less menacing. And in the case of Riesz she's literally wearing a bikini so yeah..

I kinda like her dragoon armor.
Not sure if I would describe it as "too cute". It's somewhat goofy and wacky (Wanderer Hawk lmaaaaao) but that 100% is in spirit of the original direction. If anything, the bigger issue is the happy go lucky facial expressions for the dark classes. Compare those with the remake models on the site:
kevindd.gif
kevinld.gif
durandl.gif
angeladl.gif

On the other hand, Ninja Master and Nightblade look absolutely amazing, and I always found Nightblade sprite tacky as hell.

And yeah, Fenrir Knight is DEFINITELY an upgrade:
rieszdd.gif

The bikini issues with DK are made worse by the changes; the belts, the leather under it, instead of doubling down on a single cloth color and adding fur like the artwork.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
charlotte_img_yami_class3_1.png

charlotte_img_yami_class3_2.png

These are fine honestly.
Seriously this one from the website could look like they put a revealing outfit under the cape she's wearing.
I don't dig the dark/dark outfits for women frankly.
Everything else is more than ok.
I like what they did with my man Duran.

Some characters are gonna be more fun to play on the Collection than on the new version though.
I mean Riez's Dark Dark outfit is never getting any use if I can avoid it.

Jun 23, 2019
Hhhnnnnnnggfhhh. 2020 cant get here fast enough. I need a good JRPG to chew on. Granted I still need to play Trails of Cold Steel, but I can't get past the first hour of the game. It's so boring. 😭

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
V4F15SW.png

Not sure if I would describe it as "too cute". It's somewhat goofy and wacky (Wanderer Hawk lmaaaaao) but that 100% is in spirit of the original direction. If anything, the bigger issue is the happy go lucky facial expressions for the dark classes. Compare those with the remake models on the site:
kevindd.gif
kevinld.gif
durandl.gif
angeladl.gif

On the other hand, Ninja Master and Nightblade look absolutely amazing, and I always found Nightblade sprite tacky as hell.

And yeah, Fenrir Knight is DEFINITELY an upgrade:
rieszdd.gif

The bikini issues with DK are made worse by the changes; the belts, the leather under it, instead of doubling down on a single cloth color and adding fur like the artwork.

They have happy faces because they're just a basic pose for the website.

e8d8748f20850a722460b3d181e837be.png

This looks literally perfect I will not debate about it.

Also fun fact, his final dark class ingame, check his mouth here

4af75b242cca8bb6b86a1977ad7d8379.png

And here

78cd15929cde06fe2fac787f90c291ce.png

Do you notice the subtle change on his face for the last class ?

Is she wearing a thong under her panties?

No because it wouldn't be placed here, but I have absolutely no idea what this is.

Maybe it's to make sure the panty doesn't fall off so it's attached to the belt lmfao.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This is my most anticipated game of next year. The designs for the most part are really well done and unique. I hate the bikini stuff though. There is no reason to have that garbage in this game. Can't wait to replay this game over and over again when it releases.

Oct 25, 2017
They have happy faces because they're just a basic pose for the website.

This looks literally perfect I will not debate about it.

Also fun fact, his final dark class ingame, check his mouth here

Do you notice the subtle change on his face for the last class ?
Absolutely! It's what I'm trying to point out to your Duran Dark/Dark example; with the proper stance and an angrier expression, I think it will look fine, the design is solid.

And yes, Hawk (except for Wanderer, cough cough) in general looks great.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Never played mana...if mana remake is viable to get into?

01_img.jpg

Absolutely. These are fairy tales. Each story is new, just similar themes and concepts.

Seiken 3 is a gem that sadly had not released in the US and EU because it was right at the end of the Snes Era.

The other games got really wonky remakes, but this is the first time they actually put a lot of effort into preserving and improving the game.

So that's a perfect starting point.

It has one of the most beautiful soundtrack ever, great artstyle, a dynamic story that changes depending on the characters you picked for your party, the remake is also redoing the combat that was the biggest shortcoming of the original.

Beware that they are using the 90s designs, that means some of them are trash, for the girls. You can pick darkside or light side classes, with multiple combinations, so you can thankfully avoid the worst ones. Just don't pick the bikini classes and you're fine ! :p

Btw, have we seen his model yet? 'Cause goddamn, what a redesign upgrade
man_img_basic.png

We have but in a very brief scene, without weapon etc...

b27c405845ab1a25d68e27f90311d402.jpg

Seriously this one from the website could look like they put a revealing outfit under the cape she's wearing.
I don't dig the dark/dark outfits for women frankly.
Everything else is more than ok.
I like what they did with my man Duran.

Some characters are gonna be more fun to play on the Collection than on the new version though.
I mean Riez's Dark Dark outfit is never getting any use if I can avoid it.

1) This is a 3D game, Charlotte isn't undressed under that thing because otherwise you'd see that when you rotate the camera (that's why they changed Angela's design a bit to hide her butt in the Remake). She just doesn't have sleeves in ONE of her 7 designs. Come on.

2) In the original half the classes have glitches and half of them are also useless in the end game which is when you acquire them. Sooo ... Pretty sure Remake is going to be fine even by ignoring half the classes for Riesz and Angela. They have one okay looking class on each side at least so you can still go light or dark.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
01_img.jpg

Absolutely. These are fairy tales. Each story is new, just similar themes and concepts.

Seiken 3 is a gem that sadly had not released in the US and EU because it was right at the end of the Snes Era.

The other games got really wonky remakes, but this is the first time they actually put a lot of effort into preserving and improving the game.

So that's a perfect starting point.

It has one of the most beautiful soundtrack ever, great artstyle, a dynamic story that changes depending on the characters you picked for your party, the remake is also redoing the combat that was the biggest shortcoming of the original.

Beware that they are using the 90s designs, that means some of them are trash, for the girls. You can pick darkside or light side classes, with multiple combinations, so you can thankfully avoid the worst ones. Just don't pick the bikini classes and you're fine ! :p

We have but in a very brief scene, without weapon etc...

b27c405845ab1a25d68e27f90311d402.jpg

1) This is a 3D game, Charlotte isn't undressed under that thing because otherwise you'd see that when you rotate the camera (that's why they changed Angela's design a bit to hide her butt in the Remake). She just doesn't have sleeves in ONE of her 7 designs. Come on.

2) In the original half the classes have glitches and half of them are also useless in the end game which is when you acquire them. Sooo ... Pretty sure Remake is going to be fine even by ignoring half the classes for Riesz and Angela. They have one okay looking class on each side at least so you can still go light or dark.

Im fine with revealing designs as long as they are not overboard. So i guess ill he starting here if thats the biggest complaint lol

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I'm looking that from afar and the other 2 girls' dark dark outfit prepared me for the worst.
I was being unfair, Charlotte's outfits are great.

It's ok, the game was made to be possible to be completable with any combination so bugged classes and useless classes wouldn't be too big of a problem by endgame.
I never actually used Dark dark for Riez in over 15 years so I was being facetious :p
It's a team game, no single class or character combination is really useless.
You just have to pair the correct classes (at least that's theory without the bugs, heck couldn't even find any shields but the 1st one and the ultimate for Duran in my latest playthrough) .
I don't doubt that the remake will fix a lot of what went wrong in development.
We're getting our Ministrel Song so to speak!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking that from afar and the other 2 girls' dark dark outfit prepared me for the worst.
I was being unfair, Charlotte's outfits are great.

It's ok, the game was made to be possible to be completable with any combination so bugged classes and useless classes wouldn't be too big of a problem by endgame.
I never actually used Dark dark for Riez in over 15 years so I was being facetious :p
It's a team game, no single class or character combination is really useless.
You just have to pair the correct classes (at least that's theory without the bugs, heck couldn't even find any shields but the 1st one and the ultimate for Duran in my latest playthrough) .
I don't doubt that the remake will fix a lot of what went wrong in development.
We're getting our Ministrel Song so to speak!

Fair enough !

Also I just realized the mad lads made 14 different models for KEVIN.

Each class has a wolf form that matches.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will stats finally work for this game lol?
Man am i really looking forward to this game, I just dont know what version i'm getting (switch or ps4)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind that this game runs on Switch while looking this good when you see the new Pokemon game.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Fair enough !

Also I just realized the mad lads made 14 different models for KEVIN.

Each class has a wolf form that matches.
I totally forgot that for a second!
I expected recolors but each class having its own model is really great!
I kinda would have liked outfits matching the equipped stuffs but really that's a great alternative!

So will stats finally work for this game lol?
Man am i really looking forward to this game, I just dont know what version i'm getting (switch or ps4)
Come on it's a role playing game! You just role play the stats!
That was my coping mechanism for decades :/

It blows my mind that this game runs on Switch while looking this good when you see the new Pokemon game.
Pokemon games never look amazing.
DS pokemon games were still using a lot of sprites when SquareEnix and even Camelot went fully polygonal for years.
Look at DQXI , that game looks about as good as it gets.

Fake it till you make it I'd say!
If it didn't work ingame, just roleplay it!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Here are some clips that feature remastered music.

It sounds fantastic.
The one in Kevin's is giving me all the right vibes and that tells me all I need to know about all of the OST honestly, blind trust at this point.

To note, the lip sync isn't finished as they stated and these are hard cuts at different points in the intro. (I make that clear because Kevin's cuts are all from the same scene which makes it less evident)

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I really, really hope they won't screw this up. Square-Enix did the Mana Series dirty for way too long. This remake, that actually looks good and may have a good gameplay to boot, is possibly the only single thing that they did right in more than a decade. Please be good.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hope they won't screw this up. Square-Enix did the Mana Series dirty for way too long. This remake, that actually looks good and may have a good gameplay to boot, is possibly the only single thing that they did right in more than a decade. Please be good.

Worst case scenario we are getting great looking characters, beautiful world, amazing remastered OST.

That's already kind of cool for us. Hopefully all of it holds up !

I wonder if Kevin is still going to be absolutely busted in this game, lol.

They changed characters a bit.

The girls are mostly the same.

The boys archetypes are now : Speed, Balanced and Strong. Hawkeye Duran Kevin. Kevin's the slowest now without the transformation. Duran is a lot faster and has combos / air combos. Hawkeye still seems to have his multiple slashes per attacks. We haven't seen wolf Kevin in action yet.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great, but after the issues with the SoM remake on PC, I'll wait for confirmation that the PC version doesn't suck (and that the game is generally ok).

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm kind of blown away by the amount of care being put into this remake. Didn't expect them to make 7+ models per charcter or for them to make them accurate to the original art.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this, it's looking great. I never really played Seiken Densetsu 3, though I loved the first two games, and now I can play it with modern graphics! Now just have to decide on the platform...
Since when are Pokemon games the golden standard in terms of graphics ? lol
On the Gameboy?
Naw, Pokemon has never had great graphics on any platform. On original Gameboy look at games like Final Fantasy Legend III for much more detailed overworld and enemies, DragonWarrior 3 for amazing combat animations. Pokemon was always about the gameplay and lots and lots of Pokemon to fight and collect, never really about the graphics.