• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the music is staying close to the SNES version, and didn't go weird like the Secret of Mana remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if we'll be able to turn off the voice acting in this game like in DQ11? I'm definitely going with japanese over english but if I could turn it off that'd be even better.

We don't know yet but I'm sure you can lower the sound of voices to 0.

JP VA seems solid so far.

So does this story follow the other games or is it standalone?

Yes they called it Trials of Mana and not "Secret of Mana 2" precisely to avoid confusion.
Each game has its own story and characters, it just shares some themes and mythology.

I'm glad the music is staying close to the SNES version, and didn't go weird like the Secret of Mana remake.

Actually it's doing its own thing for a few tracks we heard. It just happens to be very good, unlike secret. :p

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
We haven't seen much in terms of long-form gameplay of this, have we? I'm super excited for for it, but I'm also a little apprehensive about how they'll handle updating some of the more outdated elements -- magic, specifically. The short cuts of fancy 'special moves' with cinematic angles in the trailers they've shown off have me a little worried that we're gonna be sitting through an extended animation every time you cast a spell or break out a charge attack.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Actually it's doing its own thing for a few tracks we heard. It just happens to be very good, unlike secret. :p

From what I've heard so far, it sounds exactly like the SNES music, except that with "real" instruments. Unlike the SoM remake that used weird instrumentation, and changed some melodies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Was there a Japanese-voiced showcase for Duran and Angela yet?

We haven't seen much in terms of long-form gameplay of this, have we? I'm super excited for for it, but I'm also a little apprehensive about how they'll handle updating some of the more outdated elements -- magic, specifically. The short cuts of fancy 'special moves' with cinematic angles in the trailers they've shown off have me a little worried that we're gonna be sitting through an extended animation every time you cast a spell or break out a charge attack.

91B8W3.gif

Happy ? :)

You can shortcut the spells btw to use them without any menu too.

They're doing everything right !

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Trying not to get too excited cause the Steam version might have Denuvo and I won't be able to play it. So many Square Enix games lately have used it, but some of their more niche, JRPGs, especially their remakes (like the Secret of Mana and Romancing SaGa remakes) haven't used Denuvo, so there's some hope, but I'm not going to preorder this until I find out

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this remake going to fare any better/ worse now that it's in the same month as FF7 (as well as RE3 and Cyberpunk)?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is this remake going to fare any better/ worse now that it's in the same month as FF7 (as well as RE3 and Cyberpunk)?

It was already in a month that wasn't doing it any favors, but this doesn't help. The Switch version should at least do decently, since it doesn't have any RPGs to compete with there in April.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a Mana game, so probably the same.(just means I'll probably skip on ff7 since 2 of my roommates are getting it and I'll just borrow one of their copies)
This and cyberpunk were my 2 absolutely get games of that month. If budget allows me to get more I'll buy more.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know if there's going to be a physical release on PS4 and Switch or is it digital only?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I mean this is the literal worse thing they could have done to this game.

And FYI Dragon Quest sold way better on ps4 and PC than it did on Switch. So the switch isn't gonna save Mana.

Lowkey hope they can push mana out to june or something.

But on the other hand they at least give us a beautiful remake of a classic, and even if it bombs we'll have that.
And their market analysts will be VERY aware that they torpedo'd their own game with the release dates, so I hope they give the dev team the original Mana game they wanted to make after this. They definitely proved they are capable.

We don't have many AA games and it really bothers me they decided to put it right next to their AAA because there's no contest. Especially since Square is struggling finding balance between AAA and A and this felt like their best effort in the middle.

I got ff7 for xmas so I still have the money for Mana and I'll get it day1 to support it, but like RE3 FF7 Cyberpunk back to back is ... yeah.

Do we know if there's going to be a physical release on PS4 and Switch or is it digital only?

There are physical releases yes.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
What's your source ? I don't think we know that and I doubt it to be honest.

We don't know.
It probably did around 400k in the west on Ps4 and PC. It didn't do so hot on switch in the us.
It sold iirc around 1.3 million on Ps4 in Japan, and on switch it's nearing 500k.

So it's safe to say that it sold better on Ps4 and PC, as it was the first release, Switch getting a one year old port.

The "way better" part is fantasy though.

Trials should be a different story as this time it's a simultaneous release.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I don't know if I can play this game with THAT much cleavage going on. Jesus. JRPGs are impossible nowadays because I'm embarrassed to play them with other people around. Way too booby.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know if I can play this game with THAT much cleavage going on. Jesus. JRPGs are impossible nowadays because I'm embarrassed to play them with other people around. Way too booby.

Agree. I don't care when it's Obscure Random Dungeon RPG 3 that I will never play but that this pox is starting to permeate mainstream releases like the Mana series is worrying. Japan devs, PLEASE UNDERSTAND.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Agree. I don't care when it's Obscure Random Dungeon RPG 3 that I will never play but that this pox is starting to permeate mainstream releases like the Mana series is worrying. Japan devs, PLEASE UNDERSTAND.

Unfortunately the Mana series' bamboobling doesn't begin here; the original character designs and pixel art for SD3 really was just as bad—the latter was just less noticeable.

It's faithful where it needed improvement, but as you say we can't expect as much these days.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was browsing this page with Images/media on while at work, then that Angela tweet popped and I closed the tab in panic. Not sure how I will play that in front of my wife and little girl (I try not to play games in front of her at all, but you catch my drift)...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I was browsing this page with Images/media on while at work, then that Angela tweet popped and I closed the tab in panic. Not sure how I will play that in front of my wife and little girl (I try not to play games in front of her at all, but you catch my drift)...

Tbh you can just not choose Angela as a party member, just like I won't choose babytalk Charlotte.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. You couldn't tell in the in game sprite work how skeevy it was for Angela and Rieze, it just looked in line with other games in the series. This one is by far the worst that came to this in the series. I wish they'd update the designs in a way that still looked toward the original but were just not as horny.

May 13, 2019
... or maybe I'l rethink that.
I -think- Duran learns healing spells in one of his 2nd-tier light-aligned upgrades. Of course, that means you'd need to rely on items for more than half of the game.

Wasn't hard in the original, shouldn't be here with a modernly rebalanced game.
I do get the feeling the remake will be easier if the preview battle against the Fullmetal Hugger/Haggar was any indications.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

They're using the 90s designs 1:1, it's definitely not "starting" anything.

But if it bothers you that much, just don't pick Angela at all, she can't be saved. But some of Riesz's classes don't show cleavage so just pick for those.

That's what I intend to do.

Tbh you can just not choose Angela as a party member, just like I won't choose babytalk Charlotte.

YOU MONSTER

Anyway this is gonna be my party :

d16c97fa57e2ce84d858d647c5a6b43e.png

In terms of character dynamics that's the teams I like :

Hawk Riesz Charlotte

Duran Angela Hawk

Kevin Charlotte Riesz

Wasn't hard in the original, shouldn't be here with a modernly rebalanced game.

They added combos and abilities for all the characters. So yeah that's a non issue.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. You couldn't tell in the in game sprite work how skeevy it was for Angela and Rieze, it just looked in line with other games in the series. This one is by far the worst that came to this in the series. I wish they'd update the designs in a way that still looked toward the original but were just not as horny.
But if you saw the box art, its exactly the same. Hell I cant think of a time where devs changed a design model to fit the sprite work and not what was designed.
Designs for characters were skeevy back in the day too, its just what happens when you go from sprite to 3D which is a problem for the designs. Hell i'm waiting for the next ff4 remake we'll definitely have in the future for people to hate on Rydia again (that dress is bad)

also for above... panty shot

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
But if you saw the box art, its exactly the same. Hell I cant think of a time where devs changed a design model to fit the sprite work and not what was designed.
Designs for characters were skeevy back in the day too, its just what happens when you go from sprite to 3D which is a problem for the designs. Hell i'm waiting for the next ff4 remake we'll definitely have in the future for people to hate on Rydia again (that dress is bad)

also for above... panty shot

Yeah, pixel art obscured so much. Flashbacks to General Celes in a leotard.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't win, the one without the panty shot has the cleavage back.

477f1c0fc4d1bc1e7d6ecae56c76a3e4.png

Now to be fair, catching panty shots in actual gameplay isn't going to be mad common.

z_5dcaad511cd0b.jpg

If you are a very dedicated pixel artist you can still get it across.

f8cdb444589ebd3c99cabc52b9bea9a3.png
Then again it doesnt bother me so much as I just laugh it off. Plus its not like it looks like some skeevy neptunia/those kinds of rpgs. But again everyone's tolerance for this stuff is different. I'm still getting this day 1 but i'm just not sure if I want it for ps4 pro or switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my God.

I some how did not realize this collection was also getting us a remake of Seiken 3. Or maybe I blocked it out. I had such a blast with the original last year.

It looks fantastic and the music has sold me. Day one purchase.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Then again it doesnt bother me so much as I just laugh it off. Plus its not like it looks like some skeevy neptunia/those kinds of rpgs. But again everyone's tolerance for this stuff is different. I'm still getting this day 1 but i'm just not sure if I want it for ps4 pro or switch.

I typically hates fan service, like I literally could not get Xenoblade 2 because of some of the designs. I just refused.

204.png

But yeah in Trials, it's just Isabella (a minor part of the game) and Angela that make me go "oof". The rest of the game is so colorful and charming, it registers as "fairy tail", Riesz being a warrior Tinker Bell be damned.

Nobuteru Yuki is one of my absolute favorite artist ever.

8e29c657ea797c14fd8faf1add00b814.jpg

4a91a1b9e62cbd40883a6942aff1958e.jpg

escaflowne_van.jpg

But ....

He needs someone to control him ......

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
How do people feel about the graphics? Sometimes they look real impressive to me and other times it looks cheap. Not sure what it is.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How do people feel about the graphics? Sometimes they look real impressive to me and other times it looks cheap. Not sure what it is.

It's an AA game. It looks great.

ss_b31714c7141c75570f97340c3a2d94a7d07eff5d.png

ss_4c82b7c22d16cd9f26021c58afb87e063fe441a3.1920x1080.jpg

z_5dcaad516166a.jpg

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

Not every cutscene's going to be featuring mind blowing action or anything, but they did a great job with the world, the magic, the supers, and characters.

Which kind of matters the most since the gameplay is a big part of the game.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I typically hates fan service, like I literally could not get Xenoblade 2 because of some of the designs. I just refused.

204.png

But yeah in Trials, it's just Isabella (a minor part of the game) and Angela that make me go "oof". The rest of the game is so colorful and charming, it registers as "fairy tail", Riesz being a warrior Tinker Bell be damned.

Nobuteru Yuki is one of my absolute favorite artist ever.

8e29c657ea797c14fd8faf1add00b814.jpg

4a91a1b9e62cbd40883a6942aff1958e.jpg

escaflowne_van.jpg

But ....

He needs someone to control him ......

Or let him draw what he wants? Not liking it is fine but I'm not a fan of this idea that artists need to be restrained because YOU don't like it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I have the same feeling. I think it's the art style that makes it look a little cheap. It's a bit too generic to my tastes, like it's from one of those chinese MMOs or something.

I'm probably still going to buy it as it doesn't look cheap enough to kill my interest.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
Or let him draw what he wants? Not liking it is fine but I'm not a fan of this idea that artists need to be restrained because YOU don't like it.
Hes already not drawing what he wants. These company pay him to draw things to contribute to a product to be sold to us. We have every right to critique so the company knows what kind of product we like and can cater to that.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
And can we please stop calling it 'fan service'? Fan service is Cloud making a cameo appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics, drawing 16 year-old 'witches' with humongous, wobbly tits is being a fucking perv and it has no place in a game that is supposed to be accessible to all like Trials of Mana or Xenoblade.

Oct 26, 2017
It's an AA game. It looks great.

ss_b31714c7141c75570f97340c3a2d94a7d07eff5d.png

ss_4c82b7c22d16cd9f26021c58afb87e063fe441a3.1920x1080.jpg

z_5dcaad516166a.jpg

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

Not every cutscene's going to be featuring mind blowing action or anything, but they did a great job with the world, the magic, the supers, and characters.

Which kind of matters the most since the gameplay is a big part of the game.

Honestly I think that looks great. It's certainly different from the top down view of the sprites though.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The fact that they are taking so much care to render the Sprite designs as accurately as they can in 3D is one of the things I'm most excited for. I remember when I believed they'd just do minor changes or pallette swaps. Knowing that they've modeled dozens of outfits to correspond to all the classes gives me confidence they are putting as much TLC into this remake as they reasonably can (I mean it doesn't have FF VII Remake money or anything).

Also all the music I've heard so far had been good. At the very least there's been nothing like that horrible accordian remix from the Secret of Mana remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they are taking so much care to render the Sprite designs as accurately as they can in 3D is one of the things I'm most excited for. I remember when I believed they'd just do minor changes or pallette swaps. Knowing that they've modeled dozens of outfits to correspond to all the classes gives me confidence they are putting as much TLC into this remake as they reasonably can (I mean it doesn't have FF VII Remake money or anything).

Also all the music I've heard so far had been good. At the very least there's been nothing like that horrible accordian remix from the Secret of Mana remake.

And they made very sensible gameplay decisions, by having Kingdom Hearts shortcuts for the magic and items, as well as giving every characters combos, new abilities and aerial movement.

Like you can tell they replayed the original and took notes as to what felt frustrating or not.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they made very sensible gameplay decisions, by having Kingdom Hearts shortcuts for the magic and items, as well as giving every characters combos, new abilities and aerial movement.

Like you can tell they replayed the original and took notes as to what felt frustrating or not.
*taking notes* "Hey guys... think we should make all the stats work this time?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Man, I am HATING April. Too many incredible games dropping. Really surprised Square is releasing a non-mobile phone quality Mana game.

Oct 31, 2017
We don't know.
It probably did around 400k in the west on Ps4 and PC. It didn't do so hot on switch in the us.
It sold iirc around 1.3 million on Ps4 in Japan, and on switch it's nearing 500k.

So it's safe to say that it sold better on Ps4 and PC, as it was the first release, Switch getting a one year old port.

The "way better" part is fantasy though.

Trials should be a different story as this time it's a simultaneous release.

So 500K in Japan ? If so, that's pretty good !

Yeah, Trials should sell great as long as it's a good version.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He doesn't draw what he wants. He draws what the development team requests from him.

Contrary to popular belief, when artists like Akira Toriyama, Nobuteru Yuki, etc. are hired to work on a video game, they base their designs on preliminary drawings from the development team. They don't create their designs from scratch.

For example Nobuteru Yuki based Kid and Serge's designs on the original designs by Masato Kato:

Mcs2nTf.jpg

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't draw what he wants. He draws what the development team requests from him.

Contrary to popular belief, when artists like Akira Toriyama, Nobuteru Yuki, etc. are hired to work on a video game, they base their designs on preliminary drawings from the development team. They don't create their designs from scratch.

For example Nobuteru Yuki based Kid and Serge's designs on the original designs by Masato Kato:

Mcs2nTf.jpg
For the love of god, what the hell is with belts and zippers.