• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
And FYI Dragon Quest sold way better on ps4 and PC than it did on Switch. So the switch isn't gonna save Mana.
On PS4 yes because it launched years earlier. And no, DQXI did far worse on PC than Switch globally.

Meanwhile DQ Builders 2 launch simultaneously on Switch and PS4 and sold more on Switch. As do most Japanese multiplats at this point globally, Trials most likely will as well.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Trials looks amazing. I just wish I could finish it in the collection. I'm at the very end but having a helluva time finding those shrines again. It's times like this I really wish they would've included a better map and some QOL improvements.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

I think my first play will be Riesz Hawkeye and Charlotte.

I really wonder how they're going to alter Duran's story to avoid the clear Star Wars plagiarism in this version with VA and all.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello. I am new here. I hope I live up to the name of the forum. = )

To start: my first post I bring this excellent video (watch in 1080p 60 FPS).

It appears it is running at 60 FPS on PS4. I wonder if the Switch version will be locked at 30. Or if they will achieve 60 FPS.

I'm going to assume it's an early build, but I hope that texture pop in gets fixed. Looks like I'll probably get this on my ps4 pro.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

It appears it is running at 60 FPS on PS4. I wonder if the Switch version will be locked at 30. Or if they will achieve 60 FPS.

Hello and welcome !

You'll be in good company in our little community of Seiken 3 fans :p .

The OST in the remake is SO GOOD.

Also glad to see they added proper lock-on.
They had already showcased the magic shortcuts to be like kingdom hearts which is great, and this was missing.

The switch version was running at 30 fps in public demos. It looked really good visually so I can understand why.

The remake actually looks and sounds super nice to me. Such a shame the Sieken 2 didn't receive that level of love.

For sure, but I feel like Secret of Mana is a huge classic worldwide, while this is more like a hidden gem. So all in all, I'm happy they at least gave this some love and more people can give it a chance. (Well when it goes on sale because they decided to torpedo its launch by moving ff7 right next to it =) ).

I'm going to assume it's an early build, but I hope that texture pop in gets fixed. Looks like I'll probably get this on my ps4 pro.

It's not early but it's a demo version that is heavily truncated. It skips scenes, even skips a whole dungeon and has characters pop in when they weren't there.

While pop in for stuff like trees and stuff happened, that's the first time I see a character texture pop in like that out of all the footage.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Nice that they kept the bed scene with Angela and Duran. For obvious reasons she is not naked (a complete and realistic 3D game is very different from 2D pixels, which can change instantly. Imagine waiting for Angela to get dressed). But interesting that they kept the scene, even if they had to change it a little. It's cool to keep those moments from the original game. It's a small thing, but it makes a difference. This remake seems to be being done with great care.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for this. I watched and I'm getting more and more excited for its release. Have they announced the price yet?

And welcome to Resetera!

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017

Hahaha. Oh man. I forgot all about the scene in the original where you wake Angela up. Feels so awkward seeing it in the remake because it feels like a relic of the era.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello and welcome !

You'll be in good company in our little community of Seiken 3 fans :p .

The OST in the remake is SO GOOD.

Also glad to see they added proper lock-on.
They had already showcased the magic shortcuts to be like kingdom hearts which is great, and this was missing.

The switch version was running at 30 fps in public demos. It looked really good visually so I can understand why.

For sure, but I feel like Secret of Mana is a huge classic worldwide, while this is more like a hidden gem. So all in all, I'm happy they at least gave this some love and more people can give it a chance. (Well when it goes on sale because they decided to torpedo its launch by moving ff7 right next to it =) ).

It's not early but it's a demo version that is heavily truncated. It skips scenes, even skips a whole dungeon and has characters pop in when they weren't there.

While pop in for stuff like trees and stuff happened, that's the first time I see a character texture pop in like that out of all the footage.
Yeah, I can deal with tree and misc pop in, but I dont like character pop in one bit, especially when it's that close to the screen (like yeah a character far away sure, but not point blank)

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Thank you for this. I watched and I'm getting more and more excited for its release. Have they announced the price yet?

And welcome to Resetera!

If I'm not mistaken, in places like Steam the price is a little lower. 10 dollars less. Square Enix's website is also for this price. It must cost that at Gamestop and other stores as well.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can deal with tree and misc pop in, but I dont like character pop in one bit, especially when it's that close to the screen (like yeah a character far away sure, but not point blank)

I went and checked past footage.

This exact scene does have pop in in older builds too, because apparently they just loaded the whole character abruptly, since he wasn't in the town.

Haven't seen any other instance of something like that anywhere else. Even the big bosses don't have this issue. I think it may be because they were in a city with lots of NPCs already so they had to juggle with the memory. In fact, the demo has Charlotte appear all of a sudden and she doesn't have pop in issue, but they're in a forest.

On the plus side they added more NPCs and even different Wolfmen, they were all identical before.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
I went and checked past footage.

This exact scene does have pop in in older builds too, because apparently they just loaded the whole character abruptly, since he wasn't in the town.

Haven't seen any other instance of something like that anywhere else. Even the big bosses don't have this issue. I think it may be because they were in a city with lots of NPCs already so they had to juggle with the memory. In fact, the demo has Charlotte appear all of a sudden and she doesn't have pop in issue, but they're in a forest.

On the plus side they added more NPCs and even different Wolfmen, they were all identical before.

Isn't that a problem with Unreal 4? When you don't deal with it properly.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a problem with Unreal 4? When you don't deal with it properly.

It was a problem with Unreal 3 (and famously horrendous in Mass Effect on 360).

UE4 games typically don't have this problem. It can happen here and there.

As for Trials, they showed something like 2 hours of footage through various builds, the only instances of character textures loading late are the character select screen (because they load their entire starter cities at the same time with a press of the Dpad) and this wolfman in the town (which I believe happens because there were a lot of NPCs already so memory had limits, and since PC doesn't have the issue they probably noticed it late, it's a 0.3 second scene after all).

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
It was a problem with Unreal 3 (and famously horrendous in Mass Effect on 360).

UE4 games typically don't have this problem. It can happen here and there.

As for Trials, they showed something like 2 hours of footage through various builds, the only instances of character textures loading late are the character select screen (because they load their entire starter cities at the same time with a press of the Dpad) and this wolfman in the town (which I believe happens because there were a lot of NPCs already so memory had limits, and since PC doesn't have the issue they probably noticed it late, it's a 0.3 second scene after all).

What I fear is that in all gameplays, from PS4 to Switch, there was this pop problem. Even if in a few moments.

I hope that they solve this, and that this latest demo is an older build. The launch is a short while away, I know that there is often a great optimization in the final moments.

It will be sad if the game loses points in the reviews if that persists. A seemingly neat Remake cannot pass this up.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much better than Secret of Mana remake that I feel bad for it, I had to skip it because it looked awful honestly.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What I fear is that in all gameplays, from PS4 to Switch, there was this pop problem. Even if in a few moments.

I hope that they solve this, and that this latest demo is an older build. The launch is a short while away, I know that there is often a great optimization in the final moments.

It will be sad if the game loses points in the reviews if that persists. A seemingly neat Remake cannot pass this up.

1) The problem doesn't exist on PC (and maybe retroactively be fixed with Ps5's BC)

2) Character textures pop in only happens in the two instances I listed (+ Charlotte which doesn't count because she literally was added out of thin air for the demo so that you have a full party before boss)

3) Console version of DQXI has terrible pop in and it didn't lose any points for that

4) On the video you linked, the pop in in the world is minimal

But sure if they can improve it for consoles that's great. It'd be one of the last things they'd try to fix.
They added more NPCs variety, lips movement, and lock on since last build, hopefully this is next !

It's so much better than Secret of Mana remake that I feel bad for it, I had to skip it because it looked awful honestly.

maxresdefault.jpg

test-secret-of-mana-remake-jdg-01.jpg

ss_b31714c7141c75570f97340c3a2d94a7d07eff5d.png

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

T.T

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
1) The problem doesn't exist on PC (and maybe retroactively be fixed with Ps5's BC)

2) Character textures pop in only happens in the two instances I listed (+ Charlotte which doesn't count because she literally was added out of thin air for the demo so that you have a full party before boss)

3) Console version of DQXI has terrible pop in and it didn't lose any points for that

4) On the video you linked, the pop in in the world is minimal

But sure if they can improve it for consoles that's great. It'd be one of the last things they'd try to fix.
They added more NPCs variety, lips movement, and lock on since last build, hopefully this is next !

T.T

Is there a Steam gameplay video? If so, that I missed. I thought the first gameplay was in the Treehouse, leaded for other demos for Switch and PS4. Never saw a PC gameplay.

I hope they make a new Remake for Secret. Final Fantasy Adventure had a ''Re-imagining'' (Sword of Mana), a 2D Remake for Cell-Phones only in Japan, and a 3D Remake. Why Secret of Mana can't have a proper Remake?

I hope it sells well (Trials Remake). So we get Seiken 5, and other remakes.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Steam gameplay video? If so, that I missed. I thought the first gameplay was in the Treehouse, leaded for other demos for Switch and PS4. Never saw a PC gameplay.

I hope they make a new Remake for Secret. Final Fantasy Adventure had a ''Re-imagining'' (Sword of Mana), a 2D Remake for Cell-Phones only in Japan, and a 3D Remake. Why Secret of Mana can't have a proper Remake?

I hope it sells well (Trials Remake). So we get Seiken 5, and other remakes.

There will not be other remakes.

It's also probably not gonna sell well because they delayed FF7 and they are releasing one week off each other, FF7 being first.

But at least they won't blame the brand itself.

As for the PC version, there was brief footage that was removed on Steam cause it was mad early (only one npc model etc..), but I'm speaking on past experiences.
It's a UE4 game, which means we can modify it at will, which includes draw distance. DQXI is a great example.

SD3 remake is on an entirely different level

I'm now hoping for a 4K Legend of Mana remaster.

I think Legend of Mana is a terrible candidate because they can't "remaster" it, they would have to remake 2D assets entirely and that is never happening.
It's also not a great game to remake in 3D.

The team said they want to create an original Mana game next, and that they put all their efforts into Trials to show they can pull off an original title.

So I'm rooting for that.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
There will not be other remakes.

It's also probably not gonna sell well because they delayed FF7 and they are releasing one week off each other, FF7 being first.

But at least they won't blame the brand itself.

As for the PC version, there was brief footage that was removed on Steam cause it was mad early (only one npc model etc..), but I'm speaking on past experiences.
It's a UE4 game, which means we can modify it at will, which includes draw distance. DQXI is a great example.

I think Legend of Mana is a terrible candidate because they can't "remaster" it, they would have to remake 2D assets entirely and that is never happening.
It's also not a great game to remake in 3D.

The team said they want to create an original Mana game next, and that they put all their efforts into Trials to show they can pull off an original title.

So I'm rooting for that.

Hey, be more optimistic. Maybe if the series grows, we can see a new version of Secret in... like 10 years. = D

Talking about numbers, I imagine how much it will sell. Probably more on Switch. Is too much to ask for 1 million worldwide, all versions combined? Final Fantasy VII Remake will probably impact, maybe they will delay Trials because of that. Who knows.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, be more optimistic. Maybe if the series grows, we can see a new version of Secret in... like 10 years. = D

Talking about numbers, I imagine how much it will sell. Probably more on Switch. Is too much to ask for 1 million worldwide, all versions combined? Final Fantasy VII Remake will probably impact, maybe they will delay Trials because of that. Who knows.

If it was gonna be delayed they would have already announced it. (They announced ff7 and avengers delay the same day)

Game is on track it's not its fault.

FF7 is the exact same niche except mainstream at the same time. It's basically suicide but they're not stupid they know they killed the game's chance.

Switch only people can get this but the majority of gamers have a ps4 so I don't think that will help much.

Also Dragon Quest, an actual AAA sold a million near release.

This is an AA game, not same budget and not same expectations. And it also has the worst launch window possible.

But like I said, I am sure Square will see the talent in the team and let them have a new project.
They can see the drastic improvements from Secret of Mana to Trials, regardless of sales.
Like they have market analysts, they are not stupid, they know having the biggest JRPG of all time 5 days before is asking for it to be slaughtered.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Anynews about a possible port of Collection of Mana on PC?Didn't expect this thread to be refreshed so I am hoping news.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Anynews about a possible port of Collection of Mana on PC?Didn't expect this thread to be refreshed so I am hoping news.

The new translation was exported and modded into the japanese Roms, it's perfect with retroarch and CRT filter + phosphore.

I bought the collection on switch to support it but played on PC.

I'll buy the remake too so I don't feel bad about it whatsoever.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The little bit of the OST we hear in the remake is downright amazing, can't wait to hear the whole thing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch only people can get this but the majority of gamers have a ps4 so I don't think that will help much.
Switch will make a large difference in the west. Ys VIII for examples sold about as well on Switch as the PS4+Vita versions combined in the west, despite lanching over half a year later. In spite of the userbase difference versus Steam or PS4 these sorts of games are still generally selling most on Switch.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The release date is far from ideal but the Switch isn't getting FF7 Remake so Trials of Mana will do well on Switch at least.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but has anyone played Ever Oasis on 3DS? Haven't had a chance to play it, but i hear the game is spiritually a Mana game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Switch will make a large difference in the west. Ys VIII for examples sold about as well on Switch as the PS4+Vita versions combined in the west, despite lanching over half a year later. In spite of the userbase difference versus Steam or PS4 these sorts of games are still generally selling most on Switch.

I am not saying Switch can't help a game ! I am saying I don't know many people who would be interested in Trials of Mana and not FF7 when they release at the exact same time.

I got some games later on Switch that I had on PC or ps4. DQXI is a great example. This isn't exactly the same here. Ys didn't release against ff7 :p .
But hopefully Square gives the game some ads in the future when it has some sale to help push it a bit more.

The release date is far from ideal but the Switch isn't getting FF7 Remake so Trials of Mana will do well on Switch at least.

There was a poll showing a ton of Switch owners own another console. So it's not that clear cut.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Off topic but has anyone played Ever Oasis on 3DS? Haven't had a chance to play it, but i hear the game is spiritually a Mana game.
I've played pretty far, and honestly, I would kinda agree? Like at first, I thought it was a sort of simplified version of a Zelda like dungeon crawler mixed with a city management game, but the idea that it's a mana style game totally fits.

It's a cute gem, and I'd wholeheartedly reccomend it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
SD3 remake is on an entirely different level

I'm now hoping for a 4K Legend of Mana remaster.

Why did you mention a thing I now want I didn't know I wanted? :(

But yeah since Legend of Mana is largely hand-drawn art they would need to AI-upscale everything or include a very good CRT-filter, preferably both.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
I am so so hyped for this. One of my fav childhood games and one of my fav ever series. I am in the minority that liked the remake of SoM as well it think. Ugly sure but it was Nice to replay it again.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Oh man... looking forward to it.. so hype about it.
Did we ever heard something more about that Demo who was discovered ?