• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just to be sure, this will only work for some days and the Switch version require Nintendo Online to play, it isn't?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
the dips on Pro are annoying, there are split second freezes sometimes, completely destroys the rhythm and is irritating
I hope this will be fixed with a Day 1 patch. Otherwise I won't buy the game.

Too bad that the Switch versions runs that bad. Trials Fusion was quite decent on Xbox 360 and delivered 60 fps.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm still waiting to get home from work to try this out on Switch myself, but holy shit this is quite the comparison:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...doesnt_rise_up_to_the_challenge_of_its_rivals

For those who can't go to the link, here's the money shot comparison; Switch on Top, Xbox on bottom

trialsswitch.original.jpg
trialsxbox.original.jpg

Last edited:

oxo9

Nov 6, 2017
Cancelled my preorder based on the beta. FPS is awful and the lack of analogue triggers is too much to bear sadly.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Played a good bit of the Switch version earlier since this was where I intended to buy the game. Had doubts because of the lack of analogue triggers and its impact on the harder levels so downloaded the base PS4 version. Oh my. The difference is quite incredible. The graphical downgrade on the switch version is quite something, far outweighing the benefit of portability. Pre-ordered on PS4 instead.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Can't start the Switch version, there's a progress bar stuck at 82% and then it tells me I'm not connected to internet, which is not true :x

Downloading on PC...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
And it's up!

Honestly? I'm fine with the Switch version. I'm still going to buy it on Switch... and PC, I guess. I always played Trials with a keyboard, so I don't miss analog input.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Why have they pulled the fog in so much on the Switch version? I would argue its' unnecessary but given the poor framerate... who knows?

If you check out my post a few above yours, you'll see why; they removed like 90% of the background objects in the game compared to the PS4/Xbox/PC version. It would be an empty desert void without the dense fog, which is arguably not much better.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting to get home from work to try this out on Switch myself, but holy shit this is quite the comparison:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...doesnt_rise_up_to_the_challenge_of_its_rivals

For those who can't go to the link, here's the money shot comparison; Switch on Top, Xbox on bottom
Seems a bit disingenuous to judge the entire game on one tweet.
Especially when it is absolutely not like that on every track. In fact I have only seen "the fog" on that one track.

Here are two shots from other tracks. No fog to be seen.

http:///91hd.jpg

http:///D1hd.jpg

Then again, I really do not care. And I say that very sincerely.

If people want the graphically superior version of the game, news flash, the Switch version is not the version to get. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

As far as if the background elements exist or not, I personally could care less. They are the textbook definition of window dressing. Something that has literally zero to do with the gameplay. The tracks themselves are intact, and they are what have always made a Trials game to me. Not the shit going on in the background.

But hey, people can choose the version they want based on whatever criteria they want. I just think this guy tweeting out that every track has fog like that on the Switch version is bullshit since it is not true. But it is a huge downgrade. No mistake or arguments about it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yeah, I'm playing both the PC version at 60fps and the Switch version and I honestly don't find it bad, let alone unplayable. Portable Trials is going to be sweet to be honest :P

Oct 27, 2017
Especially when it is absolutely not like that on every track. In fact I have only seen "the fog" on that one track.

If people want the graphically superior version of the game, news flash, the Switch version is not the version to get. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

As far as if the background elements exist or not, I personally could care less. They are the textbook definition of window dressing. Something that has literally zero to do with the gameplay. The tracks themselves are intact, and they are what have always made a Trials game to me. Not the shit going on in the background.

But hey, people can choose the version they want based on whatever criteria they want. I just think this guy tweeting out that every track has fog like that on the Switch version is bullshit since it is not true. But it is a huge downgrade. No mistake or arguments about it.
Right, ultimately none of that matters. What matters most in a Trials game are framerate and controls, and that's where the Switch version fails miserably. You can get around the controls issue by playing with a Gamecube controller though.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I just think this guy tweeting out that every track has fog like that on the Switch

The article nor tweet say that every track has fog, it just uses it as a convenient highlight for the graphical disparity between versions.

Which, I would normally agree with you completely that yes, this is running on vastly inferior hardware so graphic reductions are to be expected, but it's absolutely disappointing that they have drastically reduced the "window dressing" as you called it but the game still only performs at 30 FPS with hiccups. Adding in the hardware's lack of analogue triggers only exacerbates some folk's issues with this version of the game.

Is all this going to be a moot point that doesn't really matter for some people? Sure, the game is still certainly playable. Is it also going to understandably be a deal breaker for a lot of long-time, hardcore fans of the series? Also yes.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A bit misleading as this is the worst-looking track. I did this one and was like, "Yikes, Urban Trial Playground looks better," but the rest of the tracks look good.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
They made the Diamond medals a lot harder than I expected. I wonder if this is the final balance for them.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Played the ps4 version after the switch.... What a difference... Too bad because i really wanted to get on the Swicth... Its not even the framerate... The game just looks horrible on ninentos console. Im sad.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
game is legit, the hard tracks are actually a challenge, the soundtrack kicks ass with real good hip hop tracks and i like the "around the globe" style a lot and as i said it is like a game from end of the 90s/the early 2000s, filled with fun and about having a good time. only thing that they should iron out are the split second freezes on PS4Pro, other than that i dig the game a lot.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, all tracks completed. The Extreme took a few faults!

Overall I'm liking this a lot. Feels like Trials! And although I enjoyed Fusion, I'm liking the return to more natural and gritty environments. Also like that there's more of a real campaign, with the contracts and events and stuff, gives you more to do than "just" try to perfect each track. I hope you CAN still do that in the full game though. After finishing the campaign I'll definitely want just a regular track selection menu.

Also, they HAVE TO fix the hitching on PS4. It's not TOO bad, but any of that at all is just not acceptable in a Trials game.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the beta on PC 4K 60FPS 55" TV. Visuals are very rough for 2019 especially when blow up to 4K on a somewhat big TV. Didn't help that graphics settings seem to be bugged out and I can only choose presets but not individual settings which go beyond what preset offers.

There are so many bugs and jank in PC version which will hopefully be resolved but what I hated most was in-your-face lootboxes. Other than some beta bugs and lootbox issues it's the same old Trials that I loved for many years.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, what a mess. Not that I was ever gonna buy Trials for a console without analog triggers anyway (how the hell do you do Extreme tracks like that?), but damn. 30fps (which is also not acceptable for Trials), and it looks like THAT.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh I'm out. Laggy, loot boxes, online shit and accounts throughout the game.

It's a bloody platforms, just let me plat.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, all tracks completed. The Extreme took a few faults!

Overall I'm liking this a lot. Feels like Trials! And although I enjoyed Fusion, I'm liking the return to more natural and gritty environments. Also like that there's more of a real campaign, with the contracts and events and stuff, gives you more to do than "just" try to perfect each track. I hope you CAN still do that in the full game though. After finishing the campaign I'll definitely want just a regular track selection menu.

Also, they HAVE TO fix the hitching on PS4. It's not TOO bad, but any of that at all is just not acceptable in a Trials game.

How did you unlock Hong Kong Harbor? I'd love to play that track, but if it's locked behind the final Monster Mash stadium challenge that's gonna be tough, the AI takes a massive step up for that final set of three races.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did you unlock Hong Kong Harbor? I'd love to play that track, but if it's locked behind the final Monster Mash stadium challenge that's gonna be tough, the AI takes a massive step up for that final set of three races.

Yep, that's how. Sorry!

I thought those three races got easier and easier though. Winning the last one was much easier than the first (where you just have to place 3rd).

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'm getting nowhere with the last stage of Monster Mash. I could get it if I could retry each stage but having to redo the whole thing, including the additional loading times gets kind of annoying.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, that's how. Sorry!

I thought those three races got easier and easier though. Winning the last one was much easier than the first (where you just have to place 3rd).

Actually, getting gold on all the previous tracks will also unlock Hong Kong Harbor. I thought it was a good, mid-to easy tier extreme track, I liked it.

Overall the game seems really solid. I'm a little disappointed that it's locked to 60 on PC, but I imagine the physics are tied to the frame rate. Still, the handling is good old fashioned Trials, and that's all that's really important.

Very excited to get my hands on the final game so I can start building my own tracks. I didn't build a ton in Trials Fusion as I found that game overall somewhat disappointing despite still having the proper handling. Rising seems like a step up from that, despite the presence of dumb victory poses and whatnot, but that should be easy enough to tune out.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, getting gold on all the previous tracks will also unlock Hong Kong Harbor. I thought it was a good, mid-to easy tier extreme track, I liked it.

Overall the game seems really solid. I'm a little disappointed that it's locked to 60 on PC, but I imagine the physics are tied to the frame rate. Still, the handling is good old fashioned Trials, and that's all that's really important.

Very excited to get my hands on the final game so I can start building my own tracks. I didn't build a ton in Trials Fusion as I found that game overall somewhat disappointing despite still having the proper handling. Rising seems like a step up from that, despite the presence of dumb victory poses and whatnot, but that should be easy enough to tune out.

Ah, I missed the gold on one track I think, and didn't bother retrying it, so I didn't realize that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Wait, the Switch is only 30fps? But wasn't Trials 60fps on 360 and PS3? Therefore surely Switch could handle 60fps?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Without analogue triggers I'm shocked they're even releasing this on the Switch, the sticks aren't a viable solution, especially when they're that small.

But the performance and visuals is crazy bad. Makes me even more surprised they didn't cancel this ages ago.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
I think it's time for a more representing screenshot for Switch vs other platforms. Somehow they fucked up the tutorial level in the desert, the rest is much, much better.

Regarding the 30fps, it's clear that Ubi Kiev weren't given more resources to develop for Switch. Looking at power, it is much closer to a XB1 than a PS3 for example. Let's hope for promises of incoming patches, not a day 1 for me atm in this state, would be on a sale.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the Switch is only 30fps? But wasn't Trials 60fps on 360 and PS3? Therefore surely Switch could handle 60fps?
Trials was never on PS3. But yes, it was 60 on the 360. And THOSE games probably could have been on the Switch too. But this is a new game, and the engine has a lot more going on now.

Not excusing it though, I would never buy a Trials at 30fps on a console without analog triggers.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks to hear about the Switch version.

Too bad they didn't just make a dedicated Switch Trials game. The iOS game they made played surprisingly great even without analog triggers, it was just ruined by the F2P mechanics (limited fuel, randomized gear rewards, gear upgrades taking insane amount of grinding, bike upgrades taking hours or days of real world time,etc).

Honestly they should have just stripped the F2P junk out of Trials Frontier and put that on Switch.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Sucks to hear about the Switch version.

Too bad they didn't just make a dedicated Switch Trials game. The iOS game they made played surprisingly great even without analog triggers, it was just ruined by the F2P mechanics (limited fuel, randomized gear rewards, gear upgrades taking insane amount of grinding, bike upgrades taking hours or days of real world time,etc).

Honestly they should have just stripped the F2P junk out of Trials Frontier and put that on Switch.
I played the hell out of that game until the grinding got too much. It was amazing how well it played on a touchscreen device.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Yuck. Almost don't want to fire up my copy now...

Also disappointing that Evolution ran at 60/720 on a weaker console than Switch in portable mode.

Wish they'd port that instead :/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I played the hell out of that game until the grinding got too much. It was amazing how well it played on a touchscreen device.
Yup, I even put a little money into that game since I liked it so much (about $15) and got so good at the wheel spinning that I could get exactly what reward I wanted maybe 33-50% of the time, but that still meant I had to play though the same track 2-3 times just for ONE part, and sometime you needed tons of them.

Early on there was a glitch to set you phone or tablet clock ahead a few hours to instantly refill your fuel and finish bike upgrades which helped playing the game as long as I wanted, but eventually they patched that out.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yup, this is certainly more Trials. I will probably get it eventually, but not at launch price. Just doesnt seem to do much new?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I played so much of this already but I can't wait for the full game so my progress on tracks stays.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That's fair. That's what my friend said as well. A simple and less busy background makes this game better for him to focus on the track.