• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How is the balance of track types? I wasn't a fan of the weird mini game type ones previously - is his more like evolution?

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the balance of track types? I wasn't a fan of the weird mini game type ones previously - is his more like evolution?

So far it seems to be, yes. But every game has had its fair share of skill games, and this will too (demo has one).

But the trick system (and tracks) is gone, hallelujah! Never liked that, it's just not what I want out of Trials.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are exaggerating how "bad" the game looks on Switch. It's a decent looking game. That first track is a bit WTF but the game overall looks fine.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are exaggerating how "bad" the game looks on Switch. It's a decent looking game. That first track is a bit WTF but the game overall looks fine.

I wouldn't have cared that much if it was just worse visuals, but 30fps and no analog triggers... As much as I'd like to be able to play Trials on the go, I just can't deal with that. PS4 for me. Or maybe I'll buy it twice.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The graphics aren't the deal breaker for me on the Switch, it's the 30fps (with some decent dips when you launch off of a jump) and the lack of analog triggers that make this game far less desirable than the other versions. I'm not a hardcore Trials player, but for a game all about physics and controlling your bike within those physics, the Switch version is pretty bad. For those that have never played Trials before, and only have a Switch, the game is fine.

So yeah, PS4 version for me with a Switch version way down the line with a deep, deep sale. Trials on an airplane, even with relatively poor controls, is still something I'd like to do.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Some weird little glitches here and there on that first track. One I noticed letting my son try it, was that partially downed telephone pole. If you slowly go up it, there's zero collision after 3/4ths of the way up. Maybe that's standard in these games but I don't remember it being that way. Liek a quarter of the pole is nothing but visuals and not part of the actual course. It's weird. Nitpicky, but like I said, I don't remember that in past games. Anyways, this is definitely a step in the right direction after the last one.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
What if you need to gently feather both throttle and break at the same time? They must have gimped Switch version in some way, there is no way to properly play hard and extreme tracks without 2 analog inputs readily available for you.
At least for the RedLynx designed stuff...you've never needed analog inputs, much less analog input for both simultaneously. Everything they make is playable on keyboard, even their ninja tracks apparently (according to iBlubbi, keyboard ninja player, and one of the guys they brought in to test Rising iirc).

Anyway played the Switch one for a bit today, portable only so far. Controls are fine, although I've been using the face buttons for years so lack of analog doesn't mean much to me. Analog rider control is new to me though, cause iirc the last I played was Fusion on 360 and the rider control was still digital, kinda wondering if that's slowing down my rider input slightly.

Couldn't get the last motocross thing done (with the 3 races) but got the extreme track unlocked with everything else I guess. Played it a few times, down to 10 faults, not sure if I want to bother working on 0 faults if progress will be wiped out when it comes out. Framerate gets a bit rough on this one in particular here and there.

Overall it's...ok...ish. 30fps isn't as bad as I feared, noticeable but not unplayable by any means, but the drops can look rough. As far as other graphical ugliness, honestly I don't care much as long as the important stuff is there and clear enough to see (i.e. the actual level itself). Otherwise the controls and gameplay are there and that's ultimately why I get the games, and already put a decent little chunk of time into the beta, overlooking the other issues cause it's still damn fun to me.

For reference I'm one of those guys that plays mainly for 0 fault platinum runs on extreme tracks, and depending on how hard diamonds are I might be going for those in Rising (in the older games by the time I could get a 0 fault run I was usually pretty fast at it too). Hard levels are a fun warmup, while ninja levels are straight up beyond my ability.

PS, almost forgot to mention, the loot crates are annoying, but not even for the concept of loot crates as much as UX of them. It's like 1) you got a loot crate!, 2) unlock or skip?, 3) if you unlock, here's a slow animation to unlock the loot crate!, 4) slowly display the contents of the loot crate!. Just skip to #4 and show me the stupid randomized shit I just unlocked. I get the business side of the damn things, just make it snappy at least.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried this out on Switch, and no, people weren't exaggerating about the looks. Playing in handheld mode it's definitely low res, and the framerate is definitely noticeable especially when things start moving fast.
Detail level I'm fine with since I'm not playing it next to the console versions, and frankly I don't care much how much shit is on screen in Trials games, I just care about the driver, bike, and path.

Having said that, as someone who does really enjoy Trials games but has never finished one because eventually the tracks just get too hard for me, I find that it plays just fine. Didn't have any trouble playing as well as I typically do with Trials games.

Using the trigger will be fine for at least half the levels probably (I typically go full blast or just feather it on and off in the old games). And trying the analog stick it seemed perfectly fine and will probably not take long to master with a tiny bit of practice.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
For reference I'm one of those guys that plays mainly for 0 fault platinum runs on extreme tracks, and depending on how hard diamonds are I might be going for those in Rising (in the older games by the time I could get a 0 fault run I was usually pretty fast at it too). Hard levels are a fun warmup, while ninja levels are straight up beyond my ability.
If the balance is the same as the beta right now Diamond medals are a big jump from platinum. On this current extreme track you need around a 27.5s run to get the Diamond.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just tried this out on Switch, and no, people weren't exaggerating about the looks. Playing in handheld mode it's definitely low res, and the framerate is definitely noticeable especially when things start moving fast.
Detail level I'm fine with since I'm not playing it next to the console versions, and frankly I don't care much how much shit is on screen in Trials games, I just care about the driver, bike, and path.

Having said that, as someone who does really enjoy Trials games but has never finished one because eventually the tracks just get too hard for me, I find that it plays just fine. Didn't have any trouble playing as well as I typically do with Trials games.

Using the trigger will be fine for at least half the levels probably (I typically go full blast or just feather it on and off in the old games). And trying the analog stick it seemed perfectly fine and will probably not take long to master with a tiny bit of practice.

This is exactly how I feel...I'll probably grab it on switch over PS4 to have portable.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
How did you unlock Hong Kong Harbor? I'd love to play that track, but if it's locked behind the final Monster Mash stadium challenge that's gonna be tough, the AI takes a massive step up for that final set of three races.

Might be level related?

I have the track unlocked and just finished it with 90 faults in 13m lol Not really a fan of the extreme difficult tracks.

And yes the stadium ai takes a massive leap in difficulty in the last set of races, i could swear that in the closed beta i breezed through this challenges, without much sweat but in here i always came last in the second race.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
really wondering if they smooth out the performance on PS4Pro or if this is the game as it will be released on Tuesday...if this is the final version it would be unfortunate, it could definitely run a bit better

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I can't even beat one of the hard tracks in the open beta. Seems kinda infuriating to play. lol
Are you new to Trials? It's the epitome of "easy to learn, hard to master". For example, I've managed to beat every Extreme track in previous games (not meaning the user-created ones). Some times I've had 500 faults then had to start over, but I got there eventually. Then maybe I get it down to 10-100 faults, and that's as good as I'm likely to get. Meanwhile there are people who speed through them like they're nothing, and have 0 faults. I can get Platinums on lower difficulty tracks, and I remember when a friend had downloaded some user tracks and he had played them and I hadn't, and I still beat him easily. On Trials Fusion I was top 0.5% on the leaderboards for total score, and yet again, there's still a much higher skill ceiling above me. That's what makes the game so amazing. You beat the track, then you feel you can do it with fewer faults, then no faults, then smoother and faster, and so on.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't have cared that much if it was just worse visuals, but 30fps and no analog triggers... As much as I'd like to be able to play Trials on the go, I just can't deal with that. PS4 for me. Or maybe I'll buy it twice.
*Vader no*

PC it is then. What's the big new thing in this game, anyway? The tandem mode?

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I wonder if there will be more of the Trials University stuff in the full game? Having more tutorials was something they pitched at E3, but there are a lot of techniques that aren't covered here beyond the basics.

That said, I intend on buying this regardless. I think the cosmetic stuff adds a sense of progression for the players who want it (I know I'll mess around with it). And I'm interested in getting to try out the track builder.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
If the balance is the same as the beta right now Diamond medals are a big jump from platinum. On this current extreme track you need around a 27.5s run to get the Diamond.
Found a run on youtube, just barely gets it:

https://youtu.be/drcQfHa6InQ

Hmm...on one hand it looks doable enough if I really wanted it, particularly on that track cause it's not too bad...but I know how much of a pain it'd be to pull off that kind of run.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no idea how the game can run this badly and look like that on the Switch, what was the fps before they started turning off props in the background

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
One thing I noticed: there's a "time played" counter on the player profile screen, up in the corner, but it's counting time when the game is suspended and my Xbox is off. I haven't played 11 hours today, lol.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK yeah loading is definitely an issue for me with this. After playing a bit more and also swapping back to fusion I definitely feel like I'm spending a much longer time staring at loading screens and the emotes aren't really doing anything to alleviate the wasted time. Really don't get why they even bothered putting that screen in.

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I hear there are frame rate dips on the PS4 version - is it really bad? I'm downloading the beta now

Played the switch and Xbox beta and they were good so far, except for the previously noted issues with the Switch version

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Are you new to Trials? It's the epitome of "easy to learn, hard to master". For example, I've managed to beat every Extreme track in previous games (not meaning the user-created ones). Some times I've had 500 faults then had to start over, but I got there eventually. Then maybe I get it down to 10-100 faults, and that's as good as I'm likely to get. Meanwhile there are people who speed through them like they're nothing, and have 0 faults. I can get Platinums on lower difficulty tracks, and I remember when a friend had downloaded some user tracks and he had played them and I hadn't, and I still beat him easily. On Trials Fusion I was top 0.5% on the leaderboards for total score, and yet again, there's still a much higher skill ceiling above me. That's what makes the game so amazing. You beat the track, then you feel you can do it with fewer faults, then no faults, then smoother and faster, and so on.

I played an older one very briefly but never actually bought one and played through it a lot.

I can definitely see that appeal of trying over and over again to gain mastery of a course. I also played on the Switch which I heard is the worst version because of no analog triggers.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Random early thoughts from a Trials vet:

It's a lot better than Trials Fusion (thank jeebus). No garbage trick system and better designed levels (of the ones available in the beta).

Fewer gimmick levels, but more "traps" (falling platforms and the like) that you'll hit the first time through but never again. Levels are generally pretty good though.

At least on my PS4 Pro, performance sucks, random freezes/frame drops happen during gameplay and it's unacceptable. This game doesn't look very good, there's no excuse for this.

Navigating menus is also sluggish which is important in a game like this. The post-level results screen in particular is horrendously laggy when you just want to see results/retry.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic but waiting on reviews to see if the performance issues are solved before I buy.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it on PC (1440p). Gameplay is fine, hate the soundtrack (muted it), not a fan of the menus and lootboxes but they're OK. Visuals while playing though seem pretty rough, even with maxing everything out. Maybe some supersampling will help, but I dunno.

If the reviews are positive I'll probably pick this up. I love me some Trials.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just tried a few tracks. PC version. It seemed like the ultrawide support was flawless, 2560x1080. I had it on max settings and I'm not convinced it was a smooth 60fps, but it should have been. I got an Evo vibe with the track styles, which is good. I hated the music. The UI was a bit messy. I was using a PS4 controller and often it would say to use <L> to choose this or that, but that wasn't correct. It was a bit confusing getting around the menus as a result.

As a long-time fan of Trials I didn't feel in a rush to buy this early, but that demo may have changed my mind. I want more of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered on PS4. So much better than Fusion but they need to figure what causes the game to kinda skip every now and then. I wanted to like it on Switch but it's pretty awful there in comparison.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
For those that have never played Trials before, and only have a Switch, the game is fine.
I disagree, I'm playing both the PC version and the Switch version and I find the Switch version perfectly good. But then my introduction to the series wasn't Evolution on 360, it was Trials 2 on PC, which I played to death with a keyboard.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I was dissapointed with the Switch version. Not only does the framerate suck but also the graphics are pretty bad. There is much better ports on Switch so this was pretty big dissapointment for a game that comes same date as other versions.

The game itself seems pretty good and I think the Switch version is still playable. Just not as good as it should have been. Hopefully some patches improve the game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have the Gold version paid off on Switch but I'm canceling that and going with the One. The image quality is abysmal and there's terrible pop-in but the worst of it is the 30 FPS. Just unacceptable for a game like this. Ubisoft really does not have a good track record with their Switch ports.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
The menus and presentation are awful, I really dislike this panning around a world feature they have.

Multiplayer sucks too, it's just a straight shot race where you only get one chance instead of something like trackmania where you get 5 minutes to keep improving.

Track design is good, plays well. On the fence mostly due to the presentation and laggy overly clumsy menus. Load times are vile too.

pfr

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I'm getting nowhere with the last stage of Monster Mash. I could get it if I could retry each stage but having to redo the whole thing, including the additional loading times gets kind of annoying.
Yeah, The Monster Mash is the worst idea of this beta, worse than the loot boxes. The stadium events are fine as local multiplayer tracks, but having to no-fault three tracks in a row with hard AI opponents and long load times in between is horrible. I consider myself an ok Trials player, no problem completing the Extreme track here (was one of the easier Extreme tracks), but this Monster Mash isn't happening.

Overall, I don't like the increased focus on speed, on the expense of no-fault technical riding. I don't think the faults matter that much anymore, you instead need to find the fastest path. No point in trying to recover from a bad situation, you'll be better off just immediately resetting to the checkpoint and blasting on.

Oct 27, 2017
As bad as handheld mode on the Switch is, holy shit is it even worse docked. It barely ever hit 30 fps on the track I tried. Just a terrible way to experience Trials.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. Today I found out that a.)Trials Rising is coming to Switch, and b.)Upon downloading this, it's basically unplayable compared to Trials on other systems.

Roller coaster day.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The menus and presentation are awful, I really dislike this panning around a world feature they have.

The presentation is far better than Fusion and i like the panning around a world feature, all in all the presentation is oldschool and gets it job done.

the tech aspects could be better, that is no split second freezes on a Pro and loading times are a little long for such a game

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
As bad as handheld mode on the Switch is, holy shit is it even worse docked. It barely ever hit 30 fps on the track I tried. Just a terrible way to experience Trials.
I wonder if this is why people are describing the experience to be much worse than I'm getting - I'm playing exclusively in handheld mode. There are indeed some dips, but it hasn't been a problem at all personally speaking. It also dips on PC and it really shouldn't there.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I have not played the demo but have pre-ordered the PS4 version right now. I hope they iron out the performance problems, even if it is in a post-launch patch. Played Fusion to death with my friend and waited sooo long on the announcement of a sequel... they need to keep making Trials games, so take my money!

membran

Oct 27, 2017
What were they thinking with those Stadium Finals? It's awful. I've platinum'ed every extreme track back in Trials HD & Evo, but ran into a wall there yesterday. It's not only a ridiculous difficulty spike out of nowhere, it's very poorly designed as well - the player having to back to the first track on the first minor hitch, load times and all. Can you even play the second and third track on their own for training purposes? I didn't see that option in that mess of a UI yesterday.

Droopaloop

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I believe I finished everything the beta offers. I Really don't want to commit to any sort of competetive runs till the final version is out. Thoughts on the game itself, I really don't like the new track map/homeworld. I prefer it just to be a simple list. Love the aesthetics and general look of the game, gives me more of a Evo vibe. The tracks from the beta felt good to me; it'll be fun to go through and watch the replays when the game is out. I never could figure out the speed running tricks myself for the most part, always had to watch the replays. What I'm most excited for is the track editor. I didn't make any tracks in Fusion, but I made a couple in Evo. The amount of skill these track editors have is and has always been what kept me coming back the Trials series. I'm excited to see what they can do with Rising. It's probably nostalgia talking; or maybe it's because it's been so long since there's been a proper sequel, but it always felt like some of the top track makers left after Evolution. Granted I still play user tracks every day in Fusion. People probably just moved on.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I got platinum on the extreme track...with two faults. That does not bring me joy.

That I got it on my arcade stick brings me some joy at least. Even if the layout is super awkward and uncomfortable to use.

Edit: when the hell did it get so late...so yeah the Switch issues aren't stopping me from playing like it's any other Trials apparently.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018
Is it smooth framerate-wise on 1X? Also is the terrible saturation/contrast issue from Trial Fusion on Xbox fixed?

My biggest concern is the local multiplayer. Fusion was pretty barebones. Is there even local multiplayer in the beta?

What I really wanted in Fusion multiplayer was a way to create a saveable playlist of tracks so I didn't have to remember which were good/bad/broken (and god so many tracks were broken in multiplayer).

The last thing you want on games night is a couch full of players fuelled up and ready to go and you fumbling through a shitty lobby/playlist interface.

Oh, and bailout finishes must be present! MUST!!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually gone back to fusion lol. I don't this I like this game much tbh I still couldnt beat mobster mash at all and am sick of loading it now. I hate the map design and prefer a level list that gets progressively harder. The mini pauses are unmanageable and honestly it even feels like there's a weird delay jumping between this and Fusion. I'll pass for now I think and see what people say at launch.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yay got myself my first Diamond on a track. This reminds me back when going from HD to Evo I decided I would go for all Plats. Going to go for all Diamond in Rising.

D0A0KhKXcAA1MPU.jpg:large

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda disappointed.

Maybe next gen they'll re release Trials HD as Trials 4K. That would be cool.