• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Edit: /\/\/\ Huh! A couple of intruiging options there!

On a different note, while I'm not much of an MP person, I'm genuinely interested to see how the competative season stuff pans out. I'll for sure be taking part, just to see. And hey, a game like Trials tends to have an MP experience closer to the SP experience I like (that is to say, trying to perform well on tracks. Almost incidental whether the ghosts are prior-runs, or live players).

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will they increase the number of tracks in MP? I've never understood why there are so few in rotation, was the same in Fusion. I also hope they will scale the track difficulty with your ranking. I don't want to play Easy tracks online.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: /\/\/\ Huh! A couple of intruiging options there!
I was just thinking I should leave you to make the arguments, as I found yours more convincing :p

On a different note, while I'm not much of an MP person, I'm genuinely interested to see how the competative season stuff pans out. I'll for sure be taking part, just to see. And hey, a game like Trials tends to have an MP experience closer to the SP experience I like (that is to say, trying to perform well on tracks. Almost incidental whether the ghosts are prior-runs, or live players).
One thing I prefer about the live MP is it feels a bit more... natural? Like with the ghosts I know some algorithm will always choose times slightly above and below my best. It's too consistent to be interesting, if that makes sense. Whereas live races it's whoever turns up on the day, and even a bad player can win if the competition just makes a random mistake.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Will they increase the number of tracks in MP? I've never understood why there are so few in rotation, was the same in Fusion. I also hope they will scale the track difficulty with your ranking. I don't want to play Easy tracks online.

I'd be genuinely surprised if they didn't mix the rotation up. If there is one thing that seems regarded as a strong point for the game, it is that there is a high number of very good quality tracks, and that the tracks are strong throughout all tiers. It'd be silly not to exploit this in the MP.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
One thing I prefer about the live MP is it feels a bit more... natural? Like with the ghosts I know some algorithm will always choose times slightly above and below my best. It's too consistent to be interesting, if that makes sense. Whereas live races it's whoever turns up on the day, and even a bad player can win if the competition just makes a random mistake.

For sure. There is something to be said for the fact you can't *reset*. If you fault, you need to just recover as best you can, and keep going.

Edit: Oof. I fail at posting on Era, clearly. This was supposed to be edited into my previous post! Please, call me 'fail'. 'Mr Fail' is my father.

Edit: In other news - have converted 6 golds into plats this evening. Feeling pretty good about that.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
still getting smoked by Top Canine in the finals of Trials Trophy, the only stadium finals I haven't finished.

2:40 isn't fast enough when the Bronze is 5:25, it's fucking garbage

I never want to see these goddamn tracks again.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez just had the game freeze on me in rally of the king just before the finish line and I was ahead of my current time.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the focus on customization was more geared towards the bikes and not the rider. There's some cool options they could really push instead of the 3 varieties for each bike piece.

Meanwhile I own 9 different types of pants, of which one actually looks cool.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY GOT GOLD ON UNHAPPY CAMPER
YKtrlNo.png

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Gah it really annoys me that people are higher than me on the leaderboards with more faults. I just cant understand the logic for changing the time/fault system that has been a core part of trials. Sometimes if i miss a ramp i will manage to roll back down and try again without faulting but whats the point now? i can just hit reset and save time. Its a bad change.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
You need to think that through more. If a player is able to, say, Gold all prior tracks, then they are progressing in line with their skill level, as demonstrated by their ability to gold tracks. Conversely, if a player can't do that, they have to use contracts - which is already the case anyway. Currently it is merely the case that, regardless of skill level, you *have to* progress using contracts. Being *able* to progress using contracts in no way at all is progression in line with core competency at trials.

So... *Which* players are earning the 2x XP here, and unlocking tracks *too quickly*? It can't be the ones who currently cannot show good track performance, and thus will need to use contracts, as is currently the case anyway. If you want to argue that the medal thresholds are too easy, then fine - but that is a problem better solved by tuning those targets, not bypassing them entirely.

Yeah this is fair enough, when I was writing that I didn't consider that in practice, on most tracks you wouldn't be doing ten backflips and a 50m wheelie and actually also hitting the gold time in the same run, so the chances of unlocking stuff 2x as fast were probably pretty slim anyway. It might not be as basic as just awarding enough EXP to progress with golds alone (I mean, they still need to encourage people to play contracts because that's the game they wanted to make) but there's definitely a way to balance it.

I think people might have to get used to the idea that contracts aren't going anywhere, though, and even when Ubi do sort the progression I don't think we're going back to Trials HD.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
first patch didn't fix the hitching/stuttering on PS4 Pro

also didn't fix the stadium finals... which was supposed to be fixed?

fucks sake RedLynx

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a quick look at the patch. It didn't fix track central being really slow, leaving most of the UI empty for a while until the content loads up. It also didn't fix the connection error i get when i try to sell certain items, while others sell just fine. Unless i'm the only one having these issues? I don't think technical issues (hitching, frame rate and tearing) will ever be improved, tbh.

Surprised some of these issues aren't patched yet but then again, i'm surprised many things weren't patched at release. I'm sure most of these things would have been noted in the various betas? It feels as if we went backwards in more than one way compared to Fusion (e.g. i don't remember having any issues with finding user tracks in Fusion).

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what did it change? Are the three-stage go-back-to-stage-one finals still basically impossible?

Yes. The Trials Trophy Finals is the only thing I have still not beaten in the game (not counting Ninja tracks). It's harder than the Extreme tracks. Much harder.

What they fixed was that before when going back to the individual final races after beating them, you'd have the best players on the leaderboard as your opponents. That was not intentional. The difficulty of the 3-heat finals is.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
So what did it change? Are the three-stage go-back-to-stage-one finals still basically impossible?

I think I'm going to dig up the patch notes again. I actually typed up a reply, explaining what they changed, and shining a light on the distinction between the 'three seperate heats' stadium final, versus the 'three-track-tournament' version. Then I realised that what I'd written made no sense at all. So, I'm confused too...

Edit: Yep, there it is. I had it back front. The tourney-version of the finals has been changed, such that in each track, at least one of the ghosts will be slower than your PB on that track. The bit that leaves me confused is... I though that people were needing to disconnect from the internet to do the 'three seperate heats' version of the event?! I mean, the tourney issues was annoying, but that is also *optional*. You *have* to pass the 'three seperate heats' version in order to progress, regardless of your level. What gives? Have I just totally misunderstood the problems with the stadium finals?

Edit: Either way, I'm *so* glad I didn't run into those issues! Regardless of whether people agree or disagree with my dislike of the progression or not, all agree that no-one should have their progression totally stalled due to defective ghost selection.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yes. The Trials Trophy Finals is the only thing I have still not beaten in the game (not counting Ninja tracks). It's harder than the Extreme tracks. Much harder.

What they fixed was that before when going back to the individual final races after beating them, you'd have the best players on the leaderboard as your opponents. That was not intentional. The difficulty of the 3-heat finals is.
I just tried the Trials Trophy Final a moment ago after seeing your post, on Steam. I can't tell if it's had the patch or not. I had previously gotten Gold, which was likely my only completion. This attempt, I had 0 faults in the first two heats and I didn't get 1st place in one of them, then I screwed up badly in the 3rd heat with 2 silly faults. I still got 1st place in the 3rd heat and so it was counted as a win, but I was a little bit off Gold at 3:03. I would have been almost 15 seconds faster if not for the faults. I assume your ghosts are much faster?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just tried the Trials Trophy Final a moment ago after seeing your post, on Steam. I can't tell if it's had the patch or not. I had previously gotten Gold, which was likely my only completion. This attempt, I had 0 faults in the first two heats and I didn't get 1st place in one of them, then I screwed up badly in the 3rd heat with 2 silly faults. I still got 1st place in the 3rd heat and so it was counted as a win, but I was a little bit off Gold at 3:03. I would have been almost 15 seconds faster if not for the faults. I assume your ghosts are much faster?

Weird. Yeah, if I even get too much air in a jump in the final heat, let alone fault, there is nothing I can do to catch up.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just going to add my two cents to the whole Trials Trophy Stadium Final discussion.. I'm level 92 I think and have gotten gold on almost every track up until this point and A+ on every university track. As with others here, this is the only contract I cannot complete, inhibiting my game progress. I tried today too after the patch and cannot beat the third heat. Normally I would assume I'm just not that good at a particular track yet, but I've been trying this for two days straight and it truly is borderline impossible and certainly not fun. I don't even fault on the third heat and my "flow" is damn near perfect. Either something is still unpatched with that stadium challenge or they need to consider slowing down the CPU that you have to beat. I'm at the point where I think I'm going to put the game down until I see this specifically addressed in a future patch..

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Just going to add my two cents to the whole Trials Trophy Stadium Final discussion.. I'm level 92 I think and have gotten gold on almost every track up until this point and A+ on every university track. As with others here, this is the only contract I cannot complete, inhibiting my game progress. I tried today too after the patch and cannot beat the third heat. Normally I would assume I'm just not that good at a particular track yet, but I've been trying this for two days straight and it truly is borderline impossible and certainly not fun. I don't even fault on the third heat and my "flow" is damn near perfect. Either something is still unpatched with that stadium challenge or they need to consider slowing down the CPU that you have to beat. I'm at the point where I think I'm going to put the game down until I see this specifically addressed in a future patch..

Out of curiosity... Which Stadium finals challenge is the one you are referring to? I'm so interested in what the variances might be, in terms of what different people are being asked by the game to do.

So, for my part, here are my PBs for each of the stadium finals (edit: on XBOX)...

Schoolyard Brawl: 1:24.654
Monster Mash: 1:31.813
Montreal Mayhem: 1:41.644
Bull Session: 1:19.585
Highland Fling: 2:11.108
Stable Swede: 1:33.924
Siberian Learnings: 1:35.084
Bali Blast: 2:08.611 (I *detested* this one, by the way)
Trials Trophy: 2:35.709

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity... Which Stadium finals challenge is the one you are referring to? I'm so interested in what the variances might be, in terms of what different people are being asked by the game to do.
As far as I'm aware, there are no variances in what different people are being ask to do?

Everyone is being asked to do the same thing which is beat all 9 of the stadium finals. The one that seems to be stopping most in their tracks is the one I'm stuck on which is the Trials Trophy Finals.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
As far as I'm aware, there are no variances in what different people are being ask to do?

Everyone is being asked to do the same thing which is beat all 9 of the stadium finals. The one that seems to be stopping most in their tracks is the one I'm stuck on which is the Trials Trophy Finals.

I meant variance in terms of what one needs to achieve for a given stadium finals contract, in terms of the over-all time you wound up recording in order to beat one. That said, I just re-read your post, and the you said it was inhibiting your progression, so I guess you can't be talking about the stadium finals contract, because those aren't needed in order to progress. That is, the '3 seperate races' thing (needed in order to progress) versus the '3 heat tournament' thing (which is optional). But then... You did explicitly say *contract*, singular. The seperate heats (needed to progress) are three seperate contracts. After you've done that, you can do the 'three track tourney' version, which is a single contract.

So, which aspect exactly are you talking about?

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Heh I have diamond on the individual bali blast tracks.

Of course you do...
LEAVE ME ALOOOOOoooooone! </shakes fist>

Edit: I forget which heat it is, but there is one where depending on the timings, you can get knocked back and slowed down by those damn 'beats'. Boo that track! BOOOooooooo!

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the 3 heat tournament at the end of the Trials Trophy Stadium Finals.. I believe it is a contract technically because ti give you bonus XP. And that one is needed to progress because that's how you "win" a stadium final which you need all 9 of to unlock the grand finale.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've beaten all the Stadium Finals but I don't remember if they unlocked anything other than the final bonus Hard track. Do they unlock a sponsor or another batch of tracks? I've seen people refer to them as progression blockers, which I'm not sure is accurate.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Of course you do...
LEAVE ME ALOOOOOoooooone! </shakes fist>

Edit: I forget which heat it is, but there is one where depending on the timings, you can get knocked back and slowed down by those damn 'beats'. BOOOooooooo!
Yeah there's a few spots in those tracks you can get slowed down pretty well.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I'm talking about the 3 heat tournament at the end of the Trials Trophy Stadium Finals.. I believe it is a contract technically because ti give you bonus XP. And that one is needed to progress because that's how you "win" a stadium final which you need all 9 of to unlock the grand finale.

Ah, okay, I get you now. Sorry for not keeping up. As Sheepinator says, doing all nine finals just unlocks a single, bonus Hard track. It is a pretty baller track, but it isn't really part of the 'core progression' (e.g. like getting the series of extreme tracks, or getting the set of ninja tracks).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Ah, okay, I get you now. Sorry for not keeping up. As Sheepinator says, doing all nine finals just unlocks a single, bonus Hard track. It is a pretty baller track, but it isn't really part of the 'core progression' (e.g. like getting the series of extreme tracks, or getting the set of ninja tracks).
Exactly. The "career", if you can call it that, is unlocking all tracks. That means reaching level 88 or whatever to unlock the Extremes, then Golds on those to unlock Ninja. The 9/9 Stadium Finals giving you the Hard track is more like a side bonus.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
magimix Were those final times just your first run on them? I can check mine later, don't think I redid any of them yet.

Yeah, those are all first runs. Because my experience is that after my first run of any event, I get drowned in ghosts that are wildly better than I am, I decided not to bother trying to improve PBs on the finals. I did at the least make sure I got a zero-fault run on the 'Grand Finale' bonus track.

Just watched a plat run on YouTube and I definitely want to play that track. So hopefully they'll fix the difficulty on those finals races. Or at least make it so it doesn't take forever between restarts.

Fingers and toes crossed. It is a nice track.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people refer to them as progression blockers, which I'm not sure is accurate.
Yea, I may be using the term "progression" a little loosely here. I'm a completionist and thus want to unlock all the tracks. I'm not worried about getting gold on the extreme tracks to unlock the ninja tracks. Its really just this one facet of the "story" missions that's holding me up. I'm getting really close to beating it though. I'm sure I'll be able to beat it as is now that I've tried a few more times.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So, for my part, here are my PBs for each of the stadium finals (edit: on XBOX)...

I've only competed two finals and Bali Blast is one of them. I haven't even attempted some of them because Bali Blast broke my spirit, but if it's the hardest one then maybe I can do the rest.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm a completionist and thus want to unlock all the tracks. I'm not worried about getting gold on the extreme tracks to unlock the ninja tracks.
Do you think you can? It's also another sponsor and a couple of Achievements. A couple of the Extremes aren't really any tougher than some Hards, and even on the most difficult track Inferno you can get about 35 faults and still get Gold.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think you can? It's also another sponsor and a couple of Achievements. A couple of the Extremes aren't really any tougher than some Hards, and even on the most difficult track Inferno you can get about 35 faults and still get Gold.
I think I can.. The only thing that has given me any issues up to this point is the last stadium final heats.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I've only competed two finals and Bali Blast is one of them. I haven't even attempted some of them because Bali Blast broke my spirit, but if it's the hardest one then maybe I can do the rest.

Give them a shot, I say. Bali Blast is for me, hands down, the worst stadium thing, because that one has tracks with *gimmicks*, and I've never been a fan of that stuff in tracks. I'm an old grognard that likes technical tracks with no 'dynamic' elements. Keep the wacky stuff in the background! Outside of Bali Blast, I'm pretty sure the rest of the stadium tracks are just gimmick-free common or garden super-cross tracks.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant variance in terms of what one needs to achieve for a given stadium finals contract, in terms of the over-all time you wound up recording in order to beat one. That said, I just re-read your post, and the you said it was inhibiting your progression, so I guess you can't be talking about the stadium finals contract, because those aren't needed in order to progress. That is, the '3 seperate races' thing (needed in order to progress) versus the '3 heat tournament' thing (which is optional). But then... You did explicitly say *contract*, singular. The seperate heats (needed to progress) are three seperate contracts. After you've done that, you can do the 'three track tourney' version, which is a single contract.

So, which aspect exactly are you talking about?

The 3-heat finals are required in order to unlock the Grand Finale. That's what we're talking about. I have 8/9, but the Trials Trophy one is basically impossible. And I have gold on all Extremes and A+ on all University lessons, so this feels ridiculous.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Schoolyard: 1:23.985
Monster Mash: 1:26.500
Montreal Mayhem: 1:34.950
Bull Session: 1:16.589
Stable Swede: 1:32.090
Siberian Learnings: 1:30.964
Bali Blast: 2:07.238(this one is a lot slower than my individual totals)
Trials Trophy: 2:34.814

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
The 3-heat finals are required in order to unlock the Grand Finale.

Quote from my wording, which bit you are referring to. Because you are using an imprecise wording that covers both sorts of thing that are available from the stadiums, *one* of which is required to progress. Edit: Or you are just restating what I already said?