• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm about to spend a week in a location without internet.
Will I be able to play Trials Rising offline on my Xbox One? Also, is there shared screen local multiplayer + would I be able to play this offline if so?
The local multiplayer is pretty fun, and almost identical to Fusion if you played that. You're limited to the multi-lane motocross tracks, but there are a lot of them in this game. You can add modifiers to speed or gravity to each track which can be hilarious. It works fine offline.

You can also race almost any track with a second player on the tandem.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Are you Bronze/Silver/Gold/what? I wonder if it matches players of similar level, and if the overall level of the group in the match dictates the tracks offered. When I first played I saw Hard tracks, and since then have seen some Mediums, and I'm high Silver level.

I hit Gold rank after one race (which is why I wonder if my prior time in the MP factored in at all), and immediately started getting tracks all the way up to Hard.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I hit Gold rank after one race (which is why I wonder if my prior time in the MP factored in at all), and immediately started getting tracks all the way up to Hard.
If you won, that's probably what pushed you to Gold right away. After my first game, with zero prior MP, which I did not win I think I was 4th out of 8, I was ranked a bit past halfway from Silver to Gold.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow some new bike parts! Wonder how godawful difficult those will be to obtain...

Edit: Never mind I just found out there is an actual store where you can buy "bundles" of stuff that isn't available via the crates. Been playing for weeks and never even knew that. What a world...

Last edited:

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Playing offline should be fine. Your times won't be uploaded to any leaderboards of course, even when you reconnect.

Shared screen multiplayer exists but I haven't tried... Apparently there's only a couple of tracks available? There is also the tandem bike, which again I haven't tried but looks quite fun.

The local multiplayer is pretty fun, and almost identical to Fusion if you played that. You're limited to the multi-lane motocross tracks, but there are a lot of them in this game. You can add modifiers to speed or gravity to each track which can be hilarious. It works fine offline.

You can also race almost any track with a second player on the tandem.

Thank you both :)

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
finally got into that Top 1%, wasn't sure my old ass could still get there

back in Evo I was briefly top 500, but I had wayyyy more free time in 2012

now I can casually grind out more platinums while waiting for patches and DLC

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
finally got into that Top 1%, wasn't sure my old ass could still get there

back in Evo I was briefly top 500, but I had wayyyy more free time in 2012

now I can casually grind out more platinums while waiting for patches and DLC

Nice. Well done. Yeah i had a lot more free time in Evo. I remember just breaking into the top 2000!

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked the Extreme tracks, and it's going to take a bit to gold all of them and unlock Ninja. Can't even get past the opening of Inferno V, as is tradition.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Finally unlocked the Extreme tracks, and it's going to take a bit to gold all of them and unlock Ninja. Can't even get past the opening of Inferno V, as is tradition.

Inferno seems way harder than all the rest of the Extremes. I got through the rest on my first go with probably less than 20-30 faults each. Inferno i couldn't finish (finally did it with the Helium).

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
That's irrelevant for me now, I want them to fix the hitching.

what I read on reddit was:

Next patch comes with the first dlc sometime in April. Patch to include fixes to game crashes, frame rate issues, loot crate issues, item deletion / duplication, and track editor issues including saves being deleted. New dlc to include tracks, contracts and new customization items.

I would assume that means the hitching? It's crazy that the closed/open beta didn't have it, so they should know what changed that caused it.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ranked MP is trash. I'm in the Gold division, and all I'm getting is Easy tracks, all the time. And mostly the same ones, because the rotation is so shit. NO Medium or Hard, ever. Why?! So damn boring. And it makes ranking up really hard, since winning or ending up 4th is basically random on Easy tracks against a few decent players. These are also tracks I don't know all that well, because I haven't been playing them much. Because why would I be playing Easy tracks.

Let me prove myself on Hard tracks! Maybe they appear as you rank up, I don't know. I'd think even Silver would have some Medium tracks, but nope.

Maybe this is fun for people who are really bad at the game, but for me it's trash. Shame, could have been a lot of fun if done right.

Edit: Ok, a few Mediums are showing up now at least.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
The ranked MP is trash. I'm in the Gold division, and all I'm getting is Easy tracks, all the time. And mostly the same ones, because the rotation is so shit. NO Medium or Hard, ever. Why?! So damn boring. And it makes ranking up really hard, since winning or ending up 4th is basically random on Easy tracks against a few decent players. These are also tracks I don't know all that well, because I haven't been playing them much. Because why would I be playing Easy tracks.

Let me prove myself on Hard tracks! Maybe they appear as you rank up, I don't know. I'd think even Silver would have some Medium tracks, but nope.

Maybe this is fun for people who are really bad at the game, but for me it's trash. Shame, could have been a lot of fun if done right.

Track rotation will be informed by the people you are racing against. As I understand it, the track selection is capped with respect to the lowest-ranked player. It'll try and match-make you against similar ranked people, but if that is not possible, a wider net is cast. So if you race against people of similar rank, you'll get track options in line with that. But if there aren't enough people for that, you'll have lower ranked player pulled in, and thus have lower tier tracks available. For my part, I've absolutely had races on hard tracks, but have *mostly* seen the lower-tiered tracks due to capping. The MP isn't feeling like it is thriving. If it was thriving, I'd expect to be mostly racing tracks in line with my rank, but that isn't happening much.

RL posted an FAQ that clarifies the MP rating system, and how the track selection works: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/2021555-Season-1-FAQ-Tracklists

I said previously it was 'ELO-like', but it is apparently the following, specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

Now, on reading that, I think it makes sense. But *MAN* they've not done themselves any favours by not tutorialising nor explaining the ranking system *in game*. People see confusing hard swings in their score that *seemingly* make no sense. And even when you *know* the why of it, it doesn't feel great. Edit: Also, it almost feels like there are two systems, not one. The per-heat scoring (10,8,6,5, etc) bears no relation to the glicko rating, but it is what people *see* when racing.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Track rotation will be informed by the people you are racing against. As I understand it, the track selection is capped with respect to the lowest-ranked player. It'll try and match-make you against similar ranked people, but if that is not possible, a wider net is cast. So if you race against people of similar rank, you'll get track options in line with that. But if there aren't enough people for that, you'll have lower ranked player pulled in, and thus have lower tier tracks available. For my part, I've absolutely had races on hard tracks, but have *mostly* seen the lower-tiered tracks due to capping. The MP isn't feeling like it is thriving. If it was thriving, I'd expect to be mostly racing tracks in line with my rank, but that isn't happening much.

RL posted an FAQ that clarifies the MP rating system, and how the track selection works: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/2021555-Season-1-FAQ-Tracklists

I said previously it was 'ELO-like', but it is apparently the following, specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

Now, on reading that, I think it makes sense. But *MAN* they've not done themselves any favours by not tutorialising nor explaining the ranking system *in game*. People see confusing hard swings in their score that *seemingly* make no sense. And even when you *know* the why of it, it doesn't feel great. Edit: Also, it almost feels like there are two systems, not one. The per-heat scoring (10,8,6,5, etc) bears no relation to the glicko rating, but it is what people *see* when racing.

Then I guess the problem is that there's very few playing. I'm Gold but almost exclusively get matched with Silvers.

I still don't think Silver should be almost exclusively Easy tracks.

Bronze = Beginner/Easy
Silver = Easy/Medium
Gold = Medium/Hard
Platinum = Hard/Extreme
Diamond = Extreme/Ninja

That's how it should be IMO (with a few easier tracks thrown in for variation). There should be ZERO Beginner in Silver, and much more Medium tracks (unsure if there are any).

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I just played a game of MP. First race had choices for 1 Hard and 1 Medium, the Hard was chosen. Next race, 3 of the 7 players had dropped out I guess. Choices were 2 or 3 Mediums iirc, then final race 1 or 2 Mediums. I'm high Silver.

Is the MP multi-platform? I'm on PC.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just played a game of MP. First race had choices for 1 Hard and 1 Medium, the Hard was chosen. Next race, 3 of the 7 players had dropped out I guess. Choices were 2 or 3 Mediums iirc, then final race 1 or 2 Mediums. I'm high Silver.

Is the MP multi-platform? I'm on PC.

It's not MP I believe.

Still getting mainly Easy here. Boring...

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
So my mate did the first track of the Highland Fling competition, came first and got a platinum. But the second track hasn't unlocked. Any ideas why? He has tried it again but hasn't had much success.

I thought they just instantly unlocked once you beat the pass requirement.

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying a contract last night and had to give up. Has anyone done the Helium contract on Klondike? The gravity is 110%, which makes things a lot harder than normal. I couldn't pass checkpoint 10, shown at 46 seconds here. If anyone has beaten that, any tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKGiBTSStXY

Geez. I had not attempted that contract before and got stuck on the exact same checkpoint. I came painfully close to making it 3-4 times.

My best attempts seemed to be when I backed up on the first platform and made a clean bunny hop onto the ramp to maintain momentum. But I couldn't quite figure out when to lean to actually get over the top.

Kind of want to do a fender grab there but that didn't go well. Usually would just slap my rider's head into the top platform when attempting. lulz.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Had a fun bug in multiplayer on Switch. You know the bug where the game slows down to shit? Had that happen even worse, right at the end of a track as I'm about to finish in first. I guess I was the only one bit by it cause everyone else then finished ahead of me, and the game didn't recover. Timer ran out before I could pick the next track and bike, and people were finishing before I could even start the race. And was just stuck (with music still going) so I had to go the system home screen and close the game.

Jun 15, 2018
So this sucker is in the XBL spring sale. The beta was very underwhelming and put me off a full-price purchase, but I could be tempted at £16.

Has the broken HDR/saturation been fixed? On X1X the beta had high contrast/saturation like Trials Fusion and looked pretty naff.

How is the track selection UI for local multiplayer? Fusion was garbage in that respect, making you reselect tracks with no indication if you already selected them every session and not allowing you to save a playlist.

Are there a decent selection of multilane tracks for local MP?

Are there bailout finishes in local MP?

How is the performance on X1X?

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Can't answer to everything, but I haven't had any issues with performance at all on X1X, beyond some long-ish loading times. I'd question whether it's worth it at £16 if you didn't think it was worth it at £20 though, it's not much of a sale really.

Jun 15, 2018
Can't answer to everything, but I haven't had any issues with performance at all on X1X, beyond some long-ish loading times. I'd question whether it's worth it at £16 if you didn't think it was worth it at £20 though, it's not much of a sale really.

Oh I didn't realise it was £20 at release. I had assumed more.

Gamepass has kinda turned me into a miser. When the baseline price for games is £0 then paying anything seems like a ripoff!

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
So this sucker is in the XBL spring sale. The beta was very underwhelming and put me off a full-price purchase, but I could be tempted at £16.

How is the track selection UI for local multiplayer? Fusion was garbage in that respect, making you reselect tracks with no indication if you already selected them every session and not allowing you to save a playlist.

Single Player wise the quality of the tracks is really, really good. With loads of good quality fun easy/medium/doable hard tracks. The track selection via a map and some gating of tracks by level are a bit annoying though.

The party mode is essentially similar to local multiplayer from Fusion, will check for options and get back to you. 😀

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely hurts when you spend 45 minutes trying to get a good run only to miss the platinum medal by .056 seconds.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
How is the track selection UI for local multiplayer?

Track selection UI is much improved, making it clear which you have selected already and having an "Active" list up top. Which is ironic because there are only 8 tracks to choose from :-(.

Bailouts are allowed, as are a whole host of other options like no lean, invisible bike, flaming bike etc.

Jun 15, 2018
I picked it up for the local multplayer.

Doubt I'll bother with the campaign to be honest, I'm kinda burnt out on the single player after so many basically identical games. The presentation and loading times blow, which doesn't help.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Got a survey in my email yesterday that was pretty in depth. They were asking about how I would rate past Trials games, how I'd rate (controversial) features of Rising like the world map, stadium finals and loot boxes, and also asked about what areas need improvement. One of the more interesting questions was "Are you still playing Trials Rising?", and when I answered no, there was a full page follow up set of questions asking more or less why that was.

I think their data is showing a massive drop off of players percentage wise when compared to the older games and they are trying to identify the root cause. I mentioned in the survey that I was waiting for patches to address the stability, inventory issues, world map and ease of access to friends leaderboards and ghosts.

Anyway, they are obviously aware of issues. I hope that through a few patches they can turn this one around. I love the tracks, but damn if they did not miss the spirit of Trials in the format.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I think their data is showing a massive drop off of players percentage wise when compared to the older games and they are trying to identify the root cause.

Thats interesting. Ive definitely dropped off Rising. I fire it up for maybe 30mins at the end of a play session and I still like the tracks and trying to beat my times but everything else about the game just puts me off.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
Glad to hear they are looking in to this. I loved the previous game but the combination of the World Map, Stadium Finals and the grind to unlock the later levels made me drop it. Hope to go back to it one day but at the moment I'm not going to grind to unlock more levels.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
had the same survey and basically wrote a long section about how the progress in previous titles was so much better and how completing contracts etc should be an additional activity and not something to rely on to gain xp. unlocking extreme should be based on the amount of medals earned in easy, medium and hard tracks and not grinding xp on boring tasks such as getting 15 seconds of inverted time to reach lvl88.

I want to replay tracks to improve my time and not take 4 minutes on a 50sec track because i'm doing 10 backflips on the 1st obstacle.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
had the same survey and basically wrote a long section about how the progress in previous titles was so much better and how completing contracts etc should be an additional activity and not something to rely on to gain xp. unlocking extreme should be based on the amount of medals earned in easy, medium and hard tracks and not grinding xp on boring tasks such as getting 15 seconds of inverted time to reach lvl88.

I want to replay tracks to improve my time and not take 4 minutes on a 50sec track because i'm doing 10 backflips on the 1st obstacle.

Forgot to mention this myself but I completely agree. The exact moment I gave up on the game was when I saw the kind of contracts I had to do, it wasn't fun for me.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I never got an email about this. You would think the issues would be blatantly obvious, without even needing to look at user reviews around launch or seek user feedback:

- Lootboxes, benign or not, a lot of people hate them with a passion and they weren't necessary here.
- Progression made slower than it needed to be.
- Map looks messy.
- Frame rate hitches on PS4.
- Stadium ghost issues.
- Switch graphics.
- Loading times on console especially.
- MP not supported at launch.
- Some having issues with reset progress and duplicated UI items.

Surely the devs knew all this on the day of launch? Some of those haven't been an issue for me, and the rest are minor to me and pale compared to the awesomeness that is the gameplay and the huge volume of content.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I never got an email about this. You would think the issues would be blatantly obvious, without even needing to look at user reviews around launch or seek user feedback:

- Lootboxes, benign or not, a lot of people hate them with a passion and they weren't necessary here.
- Progression made slower than it needed to be.
- Map looks messy.
- Frame rate hitches on PS4.
- Stadium ghost issues.
- Switch graphics.
- Loading times on console especially.
- MP not supported at launch.
- Some having issues with reset progress and duplicated UI items.

Surely the devs knew all this on the day of launch? Some of those haven't been an issue for me, and the rest are minor to me and pale compared to the awesomeness that is the gameplay and the huge volume of content.

I wonder if anyone at Redlynx even play on the PS4 version since the Xbox has more history with Trials.

I mean, all that it takes to notice it is to play the intro race in the stadium.

Tried the multiplayer and lags a lot, has even more stuttering than normal and even has tearing, great game.

But the cherry on top is that instead of fixing the game and then launching the expansions, the first one will come out in the same date of the leaked eshop date.

It´s on sale also.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I think their data is showing a massive drop off of players percentage wise when compared to the older games and they are trying to identify the root cause

I'd certainly be playing a lot more if they'd fix the hitching/stutter on PS4 Pro.

Having to constantly turn the internet off/on is a fucking hassle, and there are plenty of other games I could be playing at the moment.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, the hitching thing sounds like a nightmare. And there is just no excuse for it. They've put Trials out on PS4 before! I played over 20 *days* of Fusion on PS4, and it ran just fine!

Edit: I'm still playing. I'm in the mode of improving PBs in base-game tracks, and keeping tabs on Track Central. The map, and the hiding of faults (compared to other Trials games) makes it more effort than it should be to target my efforts. And I know I griped about it before, but the Track Central UX is *so* awful. Its a staggering regression from what Fusion had.

Edit: Moreover, there are plenty of user journeys in TC that are inconsistent, or flat out busted. All of which make it an effort to enage with, rather than something that inexorably pulls you in. I put the effort in, because user created tracks are a big draw for me. But anyone dipping their toe in might have a confusing, partially-broken time of things.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
How difficult is the track editor to use? I'm comfortable using the Unreal engine to make maps.

I havent built tracks since Evo but I dont think its changed too much. Its pretty good. Easy to just plonk down some obstacles to get started and then it can get quite complex if you play around with it.

There was a good series of youtube vids that walked you through the basics on Evo. Probably still relevant....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGxzMeZytA

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I havent built tracks since Evo but I dont think its changed too much. Its pretty good. Easy to just plonk down some obstacles to get started and then it can get quite complex if you play around with it.

There was a good series of youtube vids that walked you through the basics on Evo. Probably still relevant....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGxzMeZytA

Thanks. I'll definitely check out those YouTube videos. Then I will try to make something.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
The environment designers seriously outdid themselves this time.