• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, who cares about beating any of these random people?

hfgDE7l.jpg
Mmmmmmm... Feels good :-p

I'm on a real Trials bender at the moment. In the last week I've been spending time in HD, Evo, Fusion, as well as Rising. And converting medals, and improving PBs in all of them. Very much in the zone at the moment.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
(Wonder if the others on SA were just waiting for someone else to make a new Trials thread or no one cared enough to start its own thread)

Also goddamn Gigatrack, I forget if I ever got plat on that one. I always felt like it was harder to shave time on the easier tracks for platinum times than the harder ones where there's more leeway (as long as you didn't have major screwups). Gigatrack just amplified that difficulty multiple times.

I did consider making a new arrivals thread, but in the end didn't because I felt it's likely die on the vine.

As for Gigatrack, I reckon if you went back to it, you'd very soon CRUSH whatever your PB is. Do iiiiiiit! You know it makes sense.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Today's goal was to silver all the skill games, managed that but boy did the loose screw one take a whiiiiile. Not looking forward to the point where I inevitably try and gold them all.

Also trying to zero-fault all the tracks in the game (excluding extremes, anyway) and polished off North America. I wish there was an easy way to tell where a 0-fault run has a shitty time attached to it, because the gold-medal times are so lenient that even though I've got loads of 0-fault gold-medal runs, some of the times are actually rubbish.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've really enjoyed Evo becoming BC. I went back and could immediately do some hard tracks that I never completed when i played it priginally....I also managed to complete nearly all the extremes!

After that I went back to HD. Turns out I own the DLC for that!? (no idea how) so I found a whole new bunch of tracks I could do. Think I might end up spending as much time in HD and Evo as I have in rising!

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Also trying to zero-fault all the tracks in the game (excluding extremes, anyway) and polished off North America. I wish there was an easy way to tell where a 0-fault run has a shitty time attached to it, because the gold-medal times are so lenient that even though I've got loads of 0-fault gold-medal runs, some of the times are actually rubbish.

I'm sure I've previously complained at length about it, but yeah, it is a pain tracking down tracks that you haven't done zero-fault runs on. So much diving in and out of track leaderboards!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Today's goal was to silver all the skill games, managed that but boy did the loose screw one take a whiiiiile. Not looking forward to the point where I inevitably try and gold them all.

I always have that goal in every Trials, to 0 fault every Hard track. I'm missing 3 on Rising though - Grand Finale, UK Upper and Liberty Station. I like to do the No Lean contracts too, and I think I've done most or maybe all of them.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
japtor noticed you were on my evo leaderboards. Some of your times I don't think I will ever beat.

Am I still able to add people to the 360 friends list? Got my son a copy of evo and would like to see him on my leaderboards.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Excuse the potato quality but here's a vid I took from evo over 6yrs ago for platinum on flows like water.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I did consider making a new arrivals thread, but in the end didn't because I felt it's likely die on the vine.

As for Gigatrack, I reckon if you went back to it, you'd very soon CRUSH whatever your PB is. Do iiiiiiit! You know it makes sense.
Actually I should be on your leaderboards, can you check my time :p
japtor noticed you were on my evo leaderboards. Some of your times I don't think I will ever beat.

Am I still able to add people to the 360 friends list? Got my son a copy of evo and would like to see him on my leaderboards.
Mwahaha. I imagine it's all just "Xbox Live" so I think it'll work.
Yes I wholeheartedly apologise to all potatoes for any offence I have caused.

It was a case of OMG a platinum, grab whatever I can to record that.
I think I got a capture thing cause Evo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38JgfFsF-y2E-6iXozDP1g7X-qUgWz99

If only the Switch version could record/export replays (...or Nintendo expand system level stuff although I'm guessing they're spec/performance limited there).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Speaking of older Trials games, I've been playing a bit of Frontier. I'm always impressed by how well it controls on the touchscreen, and the devs are still supporting the game with new events. There's a Harley Davidson event running at the moment, and you earn blueprint segments for a Harley bike. They also added the Donkey since I played last. Both bikes are gated behind a big ol' grind.

I unlocked a new track and I'm 59th on the leaderboards! However there are only 60 players in total... Either the track just came out, or very few people are playing the high level stuff.

I was also constantly assaulted by popup boxes for microtransactions. Much worse than I remember when the game was new. I can't upgrade any of my bikes without hours and hours of grinding, or a fucking absurd amount of real money. I'm glad most of this poison didn't make it into Rising.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get platinum on some supercross event. Have to finish 2nd for my time to be counted.

The top 2 racers are miles behind me, but "finish" in 10 seconds (diamond is 25 seconds).

I thought they fixed this shit?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Still thinking if the Gold Edition is worth? Any ideas? Base game is currently 17 bucks on PSN
Absolutely. I think Gold and base are both 50% off on PSN? I have 100 hours in the game since launch and still playing most days. For me it was a bargain at full price. With Gold you get two dlc's with dozens more tracks.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get platinum on some supercross event. Have to finish 2nd for my time to be counted.

The top 2 racers are miles behind me, but "finish" in 10 seconds (diamond is 25 seconds).

I thought they fixed this shit?
Even the things they claimed to fix weren't fixed. They claimed the duplicating unusable item was fixed, but they came right back. This game has been a disaster from day 1, which is unfortunate because it has some of the best track designs in the series history.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Apparently the devs said in a stream a week ago there would be another update by the end of the month. Hopefully they'll fix the bugs they added in the last update, and the bugs they said they were fixing in that one :-)

Oct 27, 2017
For the love of god fix the issue that causes the game to randomly freeze up on PS4. We all know its related to online because it goes away if you detach from the Internet.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Trials thread, RIIIIiiiiiiiiiise! (ing) *cough* Sorry...

Is anyone doing the weekly challenges for this game? Assuming anyone knows that this game *has* weekly challenges? They aren't so inventive, it must be admitted, but since I'm playing the game *anyway*, I find myself ticking them off on the regular. One of this weeks has me a little perplexed though.

"Rivalling. Complete 3 Hit lists".

What the hell is a hit list?

My tiresome whining aside, I've not tired of this game yet (nor whining, apparently). Still improving PBs, still squeezing out plats (I should probably have picked more edifying imagery) - just got nother Extreme plat, which I'm pleased about. And there has been a good run of user-created tracks recently. Well worth diving into the 'trending trials' feed if you haven't recently (or ever).

Ranked MP continues to be a somewhat annoying mire of gradual, hard-fought, incremental improvements, followed by mega-hard downward swings. Really hope the re-tooling of that lands reasonably soon.

Edit: Okay, "Hit list" == "Challenger contracts".

Last edited:

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Trials thread, RIIIIiiiiiiiiiise! (ing) *cough* Sorry...

Is anyone doing the weekly challenges for this game? Assuming anyone knows that this game *has* weekly challenges? They aren't so inventive, it must be admitted, but since I'm playing the game *anyway*, I find myself ticking them off on the regular. One of this weeks has me a little perplexed though.

"Rivalling. Complete 3 Hit lists".

What the hell is a hit list?

My tiresome whining aside, I've not tired of this game yet (nor whining, apparently). Still improving PBs, still squeezing out plats (I should probably have picked more edifying imagery) - just got nother Extreme plat, which I'm pleased about. And there has been a good run of user-created tracks recently. Well worth diving into the 'trending trials' feed if you haven't recently (or ever).

Ranked MP continues to be a somewhat annoying mire of gradual, hard-fought, incremental improvements, followed by mega-hard downward swings. Really hope the re-tooling of that lands reasonably soon.
...there are weekly challenges?

Are Hit Lists the things where you have to beat three challengers in a row to get a special crate?

But seriously weekly challenges? How have I not seen these?

I finished all non-Ninja contracts btw. That grind is over, so now I'm working on platinums.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've done a few weekly challenges just because like you said they're usually free, and at least it's a small source of currency since the game mostly stopped handing out currency with the last dlc release. For those unaware, check the Uplay client next time you boot up. The 3 this week include get 300 seconds air time for 100 trials coins, and 200 coins for getting 30 medals on Medium tracks. In other words, not worth going out of the way for, and barely worth the time it takes to check them or add them.

I agree about the quality of the user tracks picking up. My favorite creator is Zzzzzach or something like that, with 3 tracks all of which are excellent: Penrose, Solstice and Precipice. There have been a lot of other good ones lately. A couple of standouts are Rubik's Cube (Hard and Extreme versions), and UK Upperer or something like that. Hopefully they improve the garbage TC UI in the update supposedly out this month.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I've done a few weekly challenges just because like you said they're usually free, and at least it's a small source of currency since the game mostly stopped handing out currency with the last dlc release. For those unaware, check the Uplay client next time you boot up. The 3 this week include get 300 seconds air time for 100 trials coins, and 200 coins for getting 30 medals on Medium tracks. In other words, not worth going out of the way for, and barely worth the time it takes to check them or add them.

I agree about the quality of the user tracks picking up. My favorite creator is Zzzzzach or something like that, with 3 tracks all of which are excellent: Penrose, Solstice and Precipice. There have been a lot of other good ones lately. A couple of standouts are Rubik's Cube (Hard and Extreme versions), and UK Upperer or something like that. Hopefully they improve the garbage TC UI in the update supposedly out this month.

Hey now! The rewards aren't *that bad*. For example, doing the 'rivalling' one will give you a *whole crate*. (You know, in addition to the three you'll get from doing the challenger contracts). Joshing aside, this game will never have a reward and trade economy like, say, Forza has. For me that says for engagement they need to, well, first tell people that these weeklies even *exist*. But also get more inventive with them. Maybe even whacky. And perhaps throw in a *unique* cosmetic-item reward or two (its that or crates or cogs, after all).

But hey, I'm playing the game anyway, so sod it ;-) The previous two weeks had, 'PLEASE PLAY RANKED MULTIPLAYER!!!111oneone' challenges. And bearing in mind how the MP just vomits crates and XP over you, the challenge rewards were a bucket of water in an ocean.

Again, they need to get whacky. I'd love to see some that throw me for a loop - that push me to do something in the game I haven't done before, or at the least rarely do.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hey now! The rewards aren't *that bad*. For example, doing the 'rivalling' one will give you a *whole crate*. (You know, in addition to the three you'll get from doing the challenger contracts). Joshing aside, this game will never have a reward and trade economy like, say, Forza has. For me that says for engagement they need to, well, first tell people that these weeklies even *exist*. But also get more inventive with them. Maybe even whacky. And perhaps throw in a *unique* cosmetic-item reward or two (its that or crates or cogs, after all).

But hey, I'm playing the game anyway, so sod it ;-) The previous two weeks had, 'PLEASE PLAY RANKED MULTIPLAYER!!!111oneone' challenges. And bearing in mind how the MP just vomits crates and XP over you, the challenge rewards were a bucket of water in an ocean.

Again, they need to get whacky. I'd love to see some that throw me for a loop - that push me to do something in the game I haven't done before, or at the least rarely do.
I know what you mean. Achievements and Contracts count for some of that. However, on Steam via Uplay the Achievements for the DLC were never added. I reported it on the official site, they acknowledged it, and nothing happened. I've barely done any Contracts since the DLC too because I'm waiting until they fix the currency bugs. At least there's TC in the meantime.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I know what you mean. Achievements and Contracts count for some of that. However, on Steam via Uplay the Achievements for the DLC were never added. I reported it on the official site, they acknowledged it, and nothing happened. I've barely done any Contracts since the DLC too because I'm waiting until they fix the currency bugs. At least there's TC in the meantime.

Ouch! That's a bit crappy. Sure, what you get in uPlay for the cheevos isn't high currency, but that shit works on other platforms, so it should damn well work on PC too.

So, how goes your push for diamonds? Hit your ceiling yet, or are you still grinding them out? For my part, still not a diamond quality rider, so it continues to be all about the plats for me. Up to 72 plats now. Toooooooons more to go, but I've been making some good progress towards plats on many of the tracks where I had lots of head-room because I'd not learned them properly.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Ouch! That's a bit crappy. Sure, what you get in uPlay for the cheevos isn't high currency, but that shit works on other platforms, so it should damn well work on PC too.

So, how goes your push for diamonds? Hit your ceiling yet, or are you still grinding them out? For my part, still not a diamond quality rider, so it continues to be all about the plats for me. Up to 72 plats now. Toooooooons more to go, but I've been making some good progress towards plats on many of the tracks where I had lots of head-room because I'd not learned them properly.
I haven't really been going for plats, except when I was close enough already. I still have 3 Hard tracks to zero fault first. Once they fix the currency bug I'll get back to the Contracts, so I still have plenty to do after 100 hours so far.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I haven't really been going for plats, except when I was close enough already. I still have 3 Hard tracks to zero fault first. Once they fix the currency bug I'll get back to the Contracts, so I still have plenty to do after 100 hours so far.

I think I'm up to 134 hours at this point (160+ if you include the Switch version). Also... WOOOOOoooooo! Another extreme plat - a nice, clean 0-fault run through "Sewer Rat". A nice way to end my gaming day, as it were.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Managed to beat the first Ninja track with the Mantis, and obviously since it took about an hour (including restarts) I "lost connection" to the Ubisoft server and so I couldn't upload my time to the leaderboards. Excellently, I could access the leaderboard at the same time as receiving this error message, but every time I hit "retry" to upload my time, it said there was no connection to the server. Even though I was literally looking at leaderboards from the server.

I did it again with the Helium in like ten minutes with 300 fewer faults though and that time went up fine, so I guess it worked out okay.

Is there some reason why the Ninja tracks revert to old-school Trials scoring? By faults first, then times? It's so weird to have both kinds of scoring in the same game, with no 5-second penalties in the Ninja stuff.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Managed to beat the first Ninja track with the Mantis, and obviously since it took about an hour (including restarts) I "lost connection" to the Ubisoft server and so I couldn't upload my time to the leaderboards. Excellently, I could access the leaderboard at the same time as receiving this error message, but every time I hit "retry" to upload my time, it said there was no connection to the server. Even though I was literally looking at leaderboards from the server.

I did it again with the Helium in like ten minutes with 300 fewer faults though and that time went up fine, so I guess it worked out okay.

Is there some reason why the Ninja tracks revert to old-school Trials scoring? By faults first, then times? It's so weird to have both kinds of scoring in the same game, with no 5-second penalties in the Ninja stuff.
I hate that bug. It's been around since Trials Fusion over 5 years ago. It shows up on multiple platforms. The devs pretend it doesn't exist. It's seriously annoying to beat a hard Extreme or Ninja then be met with that error message, and to be taunted by the option to reconnect which actually fails to reconnect 100% of the time. My theory is the upload buffer is full, which may potentially include the time you spent trying to reach the first CP, i.e. the entire time you were in that session, and then that fails to upload, and that's the generic error message for an upload failure.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I'm sure it's due to the amount of time you're in a track, and it must be somewhere between half an hour and an hour, I reckon with some experimentation we could probably find out exactly how long you can spend in a track before it all goes to shit. Then we'd know to just quit-out and restart if you go past 15 minutes or whatever without making any major progress. It's probably worth doing that anyway just in case.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm sure it's due to the amount of time you're in a track, and it must be somewhere between half an hour and an hour, I reckon with some experimentation we could probably find out exactly how long you can spend in a track before it all goes to shit. Then we'd know to just quit-out and restart if you go past 15 minutes or whatever without making any major progress. It's probably worth doing that anyway just in case.
I have it on PC so I'm not sure how to use another profile. On console it should be easy to test. Play on another profile, choose any track you're playing for the first time, and see if 25 minutes etc. succeeds or fails. For all we know, it may also be related to button presses, e.g. for each frame where the controller is not idle then a time stamp and the controls may be stored. That would explain the variance I've seen with some people reporting success and failure with similar times.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would really want this om My switch, but is The ps4version much vetter, performance and grapichs? Also cheaper om ps4...

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Switch should be your last choice if you're happy to play it somewhere else. Analogue triggers make a lot of difference.

I find the Switch version fairly playable without analogue triggers. Not *ideal*, to be sure, but not a game breaker. As I recall, digital-triggers didn't become a 'blocking issue' until Inferno V (where I finally *had* to use the right-stick-gas thing). What bums me out about the Switch version compared to the XBOX version (being my other platform atm) is 30-fps vs 60-fps. The physics simulation tick-rate is apparently not nerfed on Switch, but that lower frame-rate is like being flicked in the eyeballs when playing.

I'm *certainly* not a 60-fps-or-bust gamer (my current primary platform is still a console, after all; 60-fps is not the norm, even on a One-X at 1080p), but Trials in particular suffers with a lower framerate, being a twitchy, reflex-response kind of affair. At least for me.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
just read about the next patch, haven't touched the game in a month

until they fix the PS4 Pro stutter/hitching, I've got other things to play

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
It's still the same as before, great support for Playstation customer's.

*OOF* That (continues to) suck. I've said it before, and I'll ponder in again... Fusion on PS4 didn't have such hitching issues! What on earth is going on with that?!

Somewhat selfishly, I've been benefitting quite nicely from the latest patch (on XBOX). In TC, the track browser now shows your medal-status for each track. A first for the franchise, so far as I am aware. Now when browing tracks I can tell at a glance which tracks I've raced (and what medal I got) without needing to click into the track-page. As someone who races a LOT of TC tracks, that is a big deal.

And someone else drew my attention to that fact that searching now seems to be 'contains' rather than 'begins with' for text terms. Also a boon.

When racing normal tracks, they have added a contract *vendor* filter now. On the surface, it seems like it wouldn't be that useful, but I've gotten a fair amount of traction from it. It isn't *directly* what I'd like to see - what I'd like to do is filter contracts by contract-difficulty. But the mere fact of not needing to deal with the map when *all* contracts are showing on *all* tracks that still have contracts, has made it easier to pick my way through things, and look for non-extreme and non-ninja contracts I'd otherwise missed.

You know, say I can then have only extreme and ninja contracts taunting me...

Edit: Oh snap - they've added a *medals* filter too.! You can filter the game's track map by medal, thus making it more convenient to focus on medals you have that you want to convert to the next up. Nice.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trials Coins are still broken. Those have been broken since the last big patch 6 weeks ago.

I see they added medals, however have you tried getting a medal on a new track yet? For me (Steam version) the medal won't show until after rebooting the game.

If I were at that studio I would fire so many people. The idiotic design decisions (they never should have had lootboxes or XP gating), the broken economy, the patches which break new things and don't fix old things, and so on. Another thing, when they put in the focus system in the map screen last patch because the DLC stupidly made NA look like a pin cushion, I noted it was a bit broken and it still is. For example, filter on the 66 harder tracks, and move between Cadillac Rancher and Convoy. I can routinely have the cursor clearly sitting on Convoy, nowhere near Cadillac, yet it thinks I'm on Cadillac and will launch that if I press start. It was like that 6 weeks ago and hasn't changed. It's amateur hour bullshit.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Breaks my heart to hear you still having such a busted time of things :-/

In, uh, other news... I got my first diamond medal! WOOoooooooo!
I won't lie I say I figured it out myself. Someone in thr Trials reddit posted some hints about a *wild* time-saver on one of the bali track-final tracks, and once you pull it off... *Man*. Still, now that I have that first diamond, I can now see what targets I need to aim for on all the other tracks.

And I've been doing a weirdly high number of MP races (weird inasmuch as I'm not much of an MP player). I actually hope season 2 starts soon.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
magimix Congrats on a legit diamond. You've been missing out on a super easy one all this time though. The Skill game, Power Up I think it's called, is a piece of cake to Diamond.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Wow nice work on the diamond. I unlocked diamond times with the Power Up trick Sheep suggested and, surprise surprise, I'm not remotely close to any diamond medals :p

The multiplayer just has too much downtime for me. Which is probably good, because I'd be seriously addicted with a Trackmania type setup