• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Just levelled up to see what would happen... the gear crate I unlocked did not appear.

Laughing crying emoji

Such a strange thing to keep happening :(

But then again, the challenge races (the ones where you race the cpu 3 times for a crate) never worked for me since launch so not that surprising.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I returned to this game after a long break. It seems the difficulty on the stadium events was reduced a lot? I breezed through them all now.

Other than that, nothing much has changed. It's still a very fun game wrapped in a lot of nonsense and technical problems.

I wonder when the second DLC will come out. I plan to buy the season pass when both are out.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I returned to this game after a long break. It seems the difficulty on the stadium events was reduced a lot? I breezed through them all now.

Other than that, nothing much has changed. It's still a very fun game wrapped in a lot of nonsense and technical problems.

I wonder when the second DLC will come out. I plan to buy the season pass when both are out.
Yeah the finals were nerfed quite a bit. Top dog was riding almost diamond times I think. Was incredibly hard to beat first time around. Now he's more like gold. You need a faultless run and one or two time savers to beat him (either front flipping to gain distance, or hitting an upper path, or slowing down for jumps so you don't hang in the air for seconds).

But you know all that if you've beaten him :)

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have they dumped the whole world map UI yet and made something actually good and readable?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Does this game still have ridiculous grinding requirements for average players or did they ever patch it?
It never had ridiculous grinding requirements, as you could play some of the 400+ Contracts to get a lot of XP, which fit across the whole spectrum from trivial to very challenging, and some challenge you to play the game in different ways (no lean, on fire, broken front wheel, etc.) Anyway, you can either play MP which rewards XP fast, or you can apparently (I've seen this mentioned, don't know for certain if it's valid) get A+ in the University events to proceed. Supposedly that was patched in a while back. Some of those later events are quite challenging, although maybe those ones aren't needed, I don't know.

Have they dumped the whole world map UI yet and made something actually good and readable?
No, that terrible UI decision is still present. To be fair, it would be a lot of work to change. But they never should have done it.

With the new July patch I'm glad to see the Trials Coins are working after having been broken two and a half months ago, and the lootboxes seem to be working correctly, however I'm still unable to add TC tracks to my Favorites and have them be remembered the next time I launch the game. That was broken (for me, seemingly not for everyone) in the early June update.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
... Anyway, you can either play MP which rewards XP fast...

Worth noting that the astounding amounts of experience from MP only applies while a given MP season is active. During inter-season periods, when the MP is unranked, you get marginal XP.

It never had ridiculous grinding requirements, as you could play some of the 400+ Contracts to get a lot of XP, which fit across the whole spectrum from trivial to very challenging, and some challenge you to play the game in different ways (no lean, on fire, broken front wheel, etc.)

The general contention with the balance of progression at launch was that you had to do contracts *at all* in order to progress. Good track performance alone no longer progressed you through all the tracks. At least the University of Trials thing they patched in sounds like there is an additional progression metric rooted in core Trials competence.

Moreover, touching upon the MP-experience matter - the MP was unranked (thus not yielding good XP) for the first few weeks after launch.

Edit: I've fallen off this one quicker than I'd like, alas. The real driver for longevity for me is track-central, and that is still somewhat of a trash-heap in Rising, still being worse to use than Fusion TC was *at launch*.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What's the best way to do a stoppie? I'm struggling with a couple of Contracts that want a total of 30m or 60m while also being fast enough to the finish.

Thanks for the clarity on MP XP, I wasn't aware.

The general contention with the balance of progression at launch was that you had to do contracts *at all* in order to progress. Good track performance alone no longer progressed you through all the tracks. At least the University of Trials thing they patched in sounds like there is an additional progression metric rooted in core Trials competence.
Yeah I remember AC Odyssey getting similar flak from people saying that having to do any side content at all is "grinding" and therefore the game sucks. To me, grinding would be playing the same track the same way 100 times, which is actually the worst way to get XP.

I'm back into it because I stopped doing Contracts when I wasn't getting Trials Coins. Not being able to add TC tracks to my Favorites since early June means there's not much point checking out new tracks in TC currently.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
What's the best way to do a stoppie? I'm struggling with a couple of Contracts that want a total of 30m or 60m while also being fast enough to the finish.

I'd suggest digging up some YT vids, maybe University of Trials. I'm not great at stoppies, so don't feel I could advise anyone on them, beyond hand-waving about balancing rider posture against feathering the brakes.

Thanks for the clarity on MP XP, I wasn't aware.

No worries. The inter-season periods aren't long, but I'd worry about someone trying to grind out some XP, and just happening to be doing so between seasons.

Yeah I remember AC Odyssey getting similar flak from people saying that having to do any side content at all is "grinding" and therefore the game sucks. To me, grinding would be playing the same track the same way 100 times, which is actually the worst way to get XP.

I'm back into it because I stopped doing Contracts when I wasn't getting Trials Coins. Not being able to add TC tracks to my Favorites since early June means there's not much point checking out new tracks in TC currently.

Fusion TC is still seeing some good activity - if you've not gone back to it for a while, you might find there is a wealth of great new tracks to catch up on. As for Rising TC - they've made some tweaks, and they've helped a little, but Rising TC is *so* rough, that I fear small tweaks won't save it, before the community tails off too much to sustain things.

The categories that TC comes with... When I go into them, they are just always packed with tracks I've already played. There just isn't a flow of new quality tracks that bubble up enough to get noticed amongst older tracks already played. Like, I just clicked into "Trending trials tracks" for the first time in a couple of weeks, and yet every track returned is one I've *already played*.

I have some daily and weekly and monthly searches set up, trying to replicate content categories that Fusion TC just had baked in. That helps (a great deal, to be sure), but of course still leaves you wrestling with the clunky and slow UI. Edit: Also the fact that it makes the fans in my X to ramp up to LUDICROUS SPEEEEED!

Edit: On a different note, I recently bought an SSD for my X. Why didn't I do this sooner?! Rising doesn't play *completely* nicely though. When the game is on the SSD, it *always* starts in a manner where it fails to connect to uPlay. I can subsequently hit 'Y' to manually connect after I'm in the game, but it's an strange issue.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
More thoughts on TC... Another thing is that there is nothing that actively *incentivises* players to engage with track central. It doesn't contribute to any element of progression, nor cogs or acorns. Now, I get that to some extent, but compare to Fusion, where track-central had its own 'level', and levelling it *did* also increase your overall rider level. Moreover, certain tracks (presumably popular, high rated one?) came with greater XP rewards for racing them.

Hell, during the long-tail of support, Fusion even used curated TC tracks in track tournaments!

Edit: Still, I *am* going down a TC hole at the moment. I've not touched TC for a while, so there is a lot of nice new tracks in my 'best rated monthly' filter.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'd suggest digging up some YT vids, maybe University of Trials. I'm not great at stoppies, so don't feel I could advise anyone on them, beyond hand-waving about balancing rider posture against feathering the brakes.

No worries. The inter-season periods aren't long, but I'd worry about someone trying to grind out some XP, and just happening to be doing so between seasons.

Fusion TC is still seeing some good activity - if you've not gone back to it for a while, you might find there is a wealth of great new tracks to catch up on. As for Rising TC - they've made some tweaks, and they've helped a little, but Rising TC is *so* rough, that I fear small tweaks won't save it, before the community tails off too much to sustain things.

The categories that TC comes with... When I go into them, they are just always packed with tracks I've already played. There just isn't a flow of new quality tracks that bubble up enough to get noticed amongst older tracks already played. Like, I just clicked into "Trending trials tracks" for the first time in a couple of weeks, and yet every track returned is one I've *already played*.

I have some daily and weekly and monthly searches set up, trying to replicate content categories that Fusion TC just had baked in. That helps (a great deal, to be sure), but of course still leaves you wrestling with the clunky and slow UI. Edit: Also the fact that it makes the fans in my X to ramp up to LUDICROUS SPEEEEED!

Edit: On a different note, I recently bought an SSD for my X. Why didn't I do this sooner?! Rising doesn't play *completely* nicely though. When the game is on the SSD, it *always* starts in a manner where it fails to connect to uPlay. I can subsequently hit 'Y' to manually connect after I'm in the game, but it's an strange issue.
I tried YT last night for stoppies, didn't find anything, will try again but with it not being a skill needed for fast times, it's not as well covered as other skills.

I went back to Fusion TC recently because for whatever reason I hadn't really gotten into TC in previous games. Maybe I didn't trust that the quality would be there, I don't know. Yeah I've a ton of great stuff to catch up on. I started out with Zzzzzach's excellent builds. I should try some Evo's too. I have an archive of close to 700 top quality TC tracks there on PC.

In Oregon Pacifist's channel he gave a bunch of low hanging fruit suggestions to improve TC in Rising. I would assume it's depressing for a creator to build something good and so few people play it, in part because they can't find it, or in my case recently, can't add it to Favorites so what's the point.

Your Xbox issue sounds to me like when they tested on default HD's it always took 30 seconds to load (for example) and 25 seconds to connect to Uplay. So they never needed to sync the Uplay connection or tell the UI to slow down etc. It's also possible they're well aware of the bug and decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix. I never have that issue on PC via SSD, maybe because the client is running in the background already.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
magimix Just saw your latest. I assume they don't reward XP or acorns etc. because users would exploit it. The shortest easiest tracks for maximum gain would be created for grinding purposes. It does suck to get no progress towards anything while playing though, and now I've exhausted almost all the Contracts I can do, my best source of XP is going to MP (during seasons) if it's active enough, but I'm not very interested in that.

In Rising, what is the difference between Popularity and Rating? I'd like to be able to filter by time and sort by difficulty when looking at the results of any filter, with the default being whatever the filter was created with. I shouldn't need to create bunches of filters myself to find good new content, RL should be making that as easy as possible for the entire community.

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I tried YT last night for stoppies, didn't find anything, will try again but with it not being a skill needed for fast times, it's not as well covered as other skills.
You know, it might be worth hitting up the Trials subreddit - I bet people will have some great direct advice, as well as suggestions for guides.
In Oregon Pacifist's channel he gave a bunch of low hanging fruit suggestions to improve TC in Rising. I would assume it's depressing for a creator to build something good and so few people play it, in part because they can't find it, or in my case recently, can't add it to Favorites so what's the point.

I *very* much agree with the suggestions in that video. The default feeds just aren't well suited to surfacing new content effectively. The point about the 'trending' feeds is particularly on-point. Hell, in my other post I mentioned that it just always has tracks I've already played. Some default time-gated feeds could really help in terms of more ably surfacing good new content. People shouldn't be needing to create these themselves. Moreover, custom searches are second-class citizens in TC, because they don't show up on the main TC screen. The fact of the matter is, all the feeds on the main screen are low value to me, because they don't surface new content well, so I always need to go through the extra steps of clicking through to my custom searches.

magimix Just saw your latest. I assume they don't reward XP or acorns etc. because users would exploit it. The shortest easiest tracks for maximum gain would be created for grinding purposes. It does suck to get no progress towards anything while playing though, and now I've exhausted almost all the Contracts I can do my best source of XP is going to MP (during seasons) if it's active enough, but I'm not very interested in that.

In Rising, what is the difference between Popularity and Rating? I'd like to be able to filter by time and sort by difficulty when looking at the results of any filter, with the default being whatever the filter was created with. I shouldn't need to create bunches of filters myself to find good new content, RL should be making that as easy as possible for the entire community.

Aye, it is a fair point. Fusion had plenty of 'exploit' tracks - they just didn't have meaningful impact, because in Fusion level didn't confer material rewards such as crates. But they ought to do *something*. I'm sure there are ways to incentivse engagement with track central, without undermining their oh-so popular loot crates. Rising doesn't have tournaments (stadium finals aren't an especially great replacement for them!)... I dunno. RedLynx previosly have done great stuff to leverage user created tracks - I'm sure they could come up with something.

As for popularity versus rating... I definitely can't claim to *know*, but I suspect that popularity emphasises the number of downloads, whereas rating is just the mean ratio of upvotes.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Damn, there must have been something in the water ; my 'best rated, monthly' feed is *packed* with absolute bangers. Like, there are always good tracks being created, but it feels like there has been a big pile of them *recently*.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My sorry experience trying out new tracks in TC...

I create a new filter for top rated monthly Extreme, which I think is just sorting by total up-votes. The first ten or so tracks have a spinning thumbnail icon instead of the correct image. I wait. Nope, still spinning. I try another track, I like it so I add it to Favorites. When I return to the filter the correct thumbnails are finally there. I check my Favorites, and new track is there at #51. Btw, I still haven't been able to work out how Favorites are sorted, and it would be nice if I could do my own sorting within them, like sort by difficulty, by alphabet, etc. I close the game down, reboot, check Favorites, and the track I Favorited isn't there. I wonder if there's some issue where only the first 50 Favorites are stored, since the new track was showing at spot 51? So I delete a couple of older Favorites so I now have 48 showing, I reboot, load up my Favorites... and still 50 are shown. I think it now includes previous tracks I had Favorited but couldn't see because it only shows 50 after a reboot? I don't know. I still don't know where the new track I just favorited a few minutes ago is, so I can't easily play it again. I had created a support ticket with Ubi about this issue 3 weeks ago, they insisted the dev team knows about it and closed my ticket, but it wasn't fixed in this weeks patch and it doesn't show in their Known Issues topic in their forum.

This is over four months after launch. It's not a good look from RL.

Last edited:

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Looks like the Eshop dates were right after all, the second expansion launch will happen in August 20th.

• Crash and Burn Expansion: The release of our second expansion pack will not be impacted by our timeline change. This expansion is still planned for release this fall. Stay tuned for more information on this expansion which will be hitting the streets before the end of the month.

• Medieval Faire Track Pack: The Medieval Faire Track Pack has been delayed until Season 3. This will not delay the Season 3 Track Pack, so there will be 2 Track Packs released during Season 3. The season 3 Track Pack will release first followed by the Medieval Faire Track Pack a few weeks later.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Cautiously optimistic that the stuttering gets fixed... will jump back in with the new content!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic that all the stuff that used to work, that they broke, gets fixed....looking forwards to more tracks and more achievements!

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Not the best person to show off some of the new tracks.

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just got this game thanks to a decent sale on the PS Store. I came in to see if people were having stuttering and game crashes, and yeah, looks like it. Hopefully, they can get it fixed as it's pretty bad.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's shocking that PS4 had stuttering at launch, and outrageous that six months later it's still there.

They've had all kinds of issues in recent months too with people losing the Track Central tracks in their Play Later list, or being unable to add tracks to Favorites. I love the gameplay and the content in the game, but the handling of bugs and Track Central has been shocking.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Just got this game thanks to a decent sale on the PS Store. I came in to see if people were having stuttering and game crashes, and yeah, looks like it. Hopefully, they can get it fixed as it's pretty bad.

I have bad news for you. The stuttering was already happening in the closed beta exactly one year ago so they really don´t care.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Another useful one is to filter by events you don't have a medal for. edit: useful in the short-term at least!

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Crash and Sunburn looks pretty huge. Two ninjas, four extremes, forty tracks total.

Having just gone through them all, *apart* from the ninjas... The tracks are pretty damn good, for the most part. I'm not deep into learning the nuances yet of course, but there wasn't a single one that I disliked on an initial ride, so I look forward to working on better medals. The hards are hard (I faulted on most of them), and the extremes are suitably extreme (only got silvers on the first runs).

Also, I'm going to enjoy the temporary boost my ranking always gets immediately a DLC release, and before most others have had time to play it. Rank 395. Feels good. (For the few hours, if that, it lasts!)

fake edit: ooh, I missed one of the extreme tracks! Okay, so I haven't raced "Savana Safari" just yet.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I love the tracks in this game and own the season pass, but I'm loathed to go back to the interface and a sea of icons. Game could really do with a simplified way of accessing the tracks.

The map interface is one of the worst things in the game honestly.

Season pass owners can now download the dlc "free" of charge.

Shame last night it didn´t show up as free. I came home from work all excited to play the dlc lol

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah the map is a disaster. Track Central is also an example of terrible UI.

I saw on the official forum someone had spent 90 acorns on the new bikes, because they weren't free and they didn't realize they'd be free the next day for dlc owners. Once again this tactic of adding everything to the game the day before it goes live causes unnecessary confusion.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
*oof* Following on from my 'the extremes are suitably' extreme, I'd like to recast it somewhat. The new extreme tracks are flat-out *EXTREME*. For the three that I haven't golded yet, I'm nowhere *near* golding. Not even slightly. They're going to keep me occupied for quite a while.

I feel like Red Lynx used telemetry from my copy of the game to make a series of 'anti-magimix' tracks. On the other hand, I'm going to get a *lot* more consistent at rear-wheel bounces. Hopefully!

The extremes aside, having spent some more time with all the other tracks on offer - this new batch is *really* strong. As I felt when the game came out (and posted about, to a tiresome degree), it is a shame that so much of the stuff around the racing of tracks is (still!) so janky, because the *tracks* themselves are ON. POINT. The people creating, testing, and tuning these tracks clearly continue to be passionate and inventive.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You had finished going through all the tracks 8 hours ago and I still can't play any of them. The Steam version still hasn't unlocked. I think the Uplay version is way late too.

Typical Ubi.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
You had finished going through all the tracks 8 hours ago and I still can't play any of them. The Steam version still hasn't unlocked. I think the Uplay version is way late too.

Typical Ubi.

*ugh* As an expression of sympathy I'd normally say something along the lines of "this shit is killing me". But its killing the *franchise* :-( For what it is worth, whenever it is that you eventually get the content you paid for, I'm very confident you'll enjoy the tracks a whole bunch. Even the stadium-final tracks are pretty good! And there are some fun contracts to be had too (for me being Helium and Donkey contracts with a gimmick). And the new bikes look... *tremendously* different from all the others on offer - that is, using them well seems like it'd engender re-learing tracks with the given bike's unique capabilities in mind. (Not dived into that aspect yet; working on plats at the moment.)

Edit: One thing worth noting - they haven't wholly divested themselves of the weird gating, so to get access to the new extremes, you *will* need to race each of the stadium tracks. You don't need to do the stadium-final 3-track tournies, but you *do* need to at least race and beat each stadium track individually. But that is easy going, and as I say, the stadium tracks are pretty solid in and of themselves.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Still waiting to play. Sigh. Couldn't they have just put out yesterday's update this morning, and unlocked the dlc right then?

That's unfortunate to see about the Extreme gating. They continue to learn nothing from the past six months.

EDIT: It finally unlocked in the last hour. I see that despite adding even more bikes, they still haven't done leaderboards per bike. It's such an obvious thing to implement, but nope.

Last edited:

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Won't download for me despite saying purchased. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Edit: Finally got it to work. Played a few levels of stuttery goodness before the game froze.

Last edited:

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
*oof* Following on from my 'the extremes are suitably' extreme, I'd like to recast it somewhat. The new extreme tracks are flat-out *EXTREME*. For the three that I haven't golded yet, I'm nowhere *near* golding. Not even slightly. They're going to keep me occupied for quite a while.
I wasn't sure if I was out of practice or the extremes are just harder. First one I tried was Frozen Leviathan and I didn't even get bronze! Glad to hear it's not just me.

Edit: Finally got it to work. Played a few levels of stuttery goodness before the game froze.
I swear the stuttering is worse every time I come back to this game. I know it's been covered ad nauseum but the whole presentation and performance really puts me off playing it.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
I swear the stuttering is worse every time I come back to this game. I know it's been covered ad nauseum but the whole presentation and performance really puts me off playing it.
Me too, I did a few levels and just was like, meh. I hate, HATE, the map. Why can't we just have a normal level selection screen? You can still section it off by regions if you want to keep that theme of the game but ugh, the map is horrendous. The stadium events are horrendous. But the map actively makes me want to play less and less.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Xbox 1. Ran through the South American tracks. The stuttering is so annoying. I can overlook the crappy map design but the game performing poorly is a huge turn off. Plus who knows if I actually get to open the loot boxes I earned in that brief run.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Was quite surprised that things like crappy map and general feel outside of the actual game can have such a negative effect on me.

I simply play fusion instead when I feel like playing some trials.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to this for the DLC reminds me why this is easily the biggest disappointment of the year to me despite featuring probably the best track design in the series.

Fusion was infinitely more enjoyable to play imo.