• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...juries-mexico-resorts-tourists-say/820094001/

Since July, when the Journal Sentinel began investigating the mysterious death of a Wisconsin college student in Mexico — and found widespread problems with tainted alcohol, derelict law enforcement and price gouging from hospitals — more than a dozen travelers from across the country have said TripAdvisor muzzled their first-hand stories of blackouts, rapes and other ways they were injured while vacationing in Mexico.

There's a lot to unpack here. Posts warning about the dangers of certain resorts being deleted (including reviews and posts about rape, druged drinks and robberies at the resorts). Members being given special permissions as favors. Seems the entire company is covering up a lot of negativity to try and curb the loss of customers from their resorts but at what cost?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Drugging, rape and murder?? Shouldn't this be police work instead of TripAdvisor?! It does seem like a weird thing to post on social media. I mean the best they could do is probably have links to news stories or something...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Drugging, rape and murder?? Shouldn't this be police work instead of TripAdvisor?! It does seem like a weird thing to post on social media. I mean the best they could do is probably have links to news stories or something...
I think you're missing the point? TripAdvisor is covering these incidents up, and a news outlet is investigating it.

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
The problem is that Trip advisor is actively deleting first hand stories of horrible experiences.
It completely undermines the point of a review system and puts people in danger.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that Trip advisor is actively deleting first hand stories of horrible experiences.
It completely undermines the point of a review system and puts people in danger.

I think you're missing the point? TripAdvisor is covering these incidents up, and a news outlet is investigating it.

If they are covering up crimes then they are breaking a law. I don't think there's much moral grey area here... But if they are deleting posts with unconfirmed criminal acts I can't blame them for this. I mean TripAdviser posts are often as reliable as youtube comments.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
The resorts probably pay TripAdvisor to delete the worst reviews, the same thing happens on many review sites...

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
If they are covering up crimes then they are breaking a law. I don't think there's much moral grey area here... But if they are deleting posts with unconfirmed criminal acts I can't blame them for this. I mean TripAdviser posts are often as reliable as youtube comments.
You should read the story.
These are crimes that were reported to the resorts and some even to the police (though trying to deal with police in a foreign country can be a nightmare itself).
The problem is that Trip Advisor doesn't fall under the same category as travel agencies despite being used that way and thus, they can delete posts they deem negative regardless of how truthful they are.
They're actively putting people in danger for profit.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The resorts probably pay TripAdvisor to delete the worst reviews, the same thing happens on many review sites...
Resorts pay to get good reviews for themselves and bad reviews for others and the others pay to get bad reviews removed and good added... I would say it's probably full circle at this point.

You should read the story.
These are crimes that were reported to the resorts and some even to the police (though trying to deal with police in a foreign country can be a nightmare itself).
The problem is that Trip Advisor doesn't fall under the same category as travel agencies despite being used that way and thus, they can delete posts they deem negative regardless of how truthful they are.
They're actively putting people in danger for profit.

Why are you saying "even"? All of this should be reported to police without hesitation. Also it's not like Mexico is some sort of Wild West. Police might not be the best there, but they will give a shit. I mean I'm originally from Ukraine and the police there is as corrupt as you can get, but if you are foreigner and you report a serious crime they will take it seriously.

EDIT: Also I would never equate Tripadviser to a travel agency. Tripadviser is a social media website. Taking it seriously is like taking youtube seriously. A lot of it is complete BS.

Last edited:

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Terrifying that they would cover that up. This isn't just a bad food review, people have a right to know if their lives are at risk.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I recently read an article about alcohol being served in Mexico making a lot of people sick and causing some deaths, was amazed it wasn't a bigger story.