• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a single player stealth/first person shooter VR game, that holds several very interesting gameplay mechanics that resemble MGS series (and several of its own), and have a unique VR in VR locomotion movement. You player as an agent who uses motion-control to remote pilot a cyborg/robot(?) on infiltration missions.

So in this game, you can hold hostage by aiming at their skull, uses voice activation (make commands or perform actions, and your voice could draw the enemy to your location), climb across low walls/railing/ladders, tranquilizer pistol, handheld spy cameras that you can use to peek around doorway or corridor, throw items at a spot to distract enemy, dodge surveillance camera by moving in its blind spot, drop from the top and ambush enemies by gunning them down in the air in slow-mo etc.

A mission based story mode, and scenario missions, forming a total of 200 missions, so gameplay length be rather lengthy.

Espire 1: VR Operative Aims to Deliver Definitive VR Stealth Experience in 2019 - Tripwire Interactive Partners with Digital Lode to Publish New VR Game with "VR within VR" Movement System that Kills Motion Sickness.

Tripwire Interactive, developers of the award-winning Killing Floor and Red Orchestra franchises and publishers of Road Redemption for consoles and Maneater for PC, is proud to announce a partnership with independent developer Digital Lode to publish the studio's first title, Espire 1: VR Operative. Designed to deliver the definitive VR stealth experience, Espire 1: VR Operative drafts players as drone operators of the future. Players become "Espire Agents" and use cutting edge Virtual Reality hardware to remote-operate the Espire model 1 from the safety of their "Control Theatre."

The technology behind the "Control Theatre" and the game's movement system lies at the heart of Espire 1: VR Operative's gameplay and intuitive VR control system. Any time a player performs any artificial locomotion, the game world shrinks down to the size of a floating tablet, with the Control Theatre visible in the player's peripheral vision. This "VR within VR" system allows for precise full freedom of movement, maintains immersion, and also eliminates "VR motion sickness" for almost everyone. The Control Theatre is fully customizable to suit the player's level of comfort, up to fully disabled for those already comfortable moving in VR. Check out this developer diary from Michael Wentworth-Bell, Founder of Digital Lode and Game Director for Espire 1: VR Operative for a closer look at the game's Control Theatre locomotion system.

Tripwire's support of Espire 1: VR Operative goes far beyond publishing. Months before there was a publishing deal for the title, Tripwire's Producers, Marketing, Tech, Art and Audio leads assisted on Espire's development. It is this level of development support, which goes beyond funding and distribution, that has allowed the project to become a reality.

"We were blown away when Digital Lode first showed us Espire 1: VR Operative," said Tripwire CEO and Co-Founder John Gibson. "Not only is the game amazing, but their Control Theatre movement system finally enables the dream we've all had of VR to become reality – full freedom of movement in VR that the masses can enjoy without motion sickness. We're blown away to be able to work with Digital Lode to bring this game to the players."

"Tripwire is a publisher that has understood the challenges a fledgling independent development team faces and have been able to catapult our team forward," said Digital Lode Founder Michael Wentworth-Bell. "Tripwire's experience in VR development with Killing Floor: Incursion has helped save the Espire team countless hours of R&D. Espire 1: VR Operative has been a dream opportunity to establish a new stealth IP, while re-imagining stealth game mechanics in the unique medium of VR. Without Tripwire's oversight, this dream would have remained out of reach."

Key features planned include:
  • The definitive VR stealth experience: Espire 1 brings the stealth genre to the exciting medium of Virtual Reality, delivering gameplay mechanics for the stealth and action genres that have yet to be explored.
  • Full freedom of movement: Espire 1 allows players the freedom to move anywhere within their virtual environment, moving, climbing, and falling with full comfort and no motion sickness for almost all players.
  • Complete single-player story, rich in detail: Espire 1 is being developed as a dedicated single player VR experience with individual story missions and scenario missions that use the story mission environments for short challenges.
  • Voice control: Using the VR headset's onboard microphone, you can make commands and perform actions simply by speaking. The noises you make could draw the enemy to your location – use this to your advantage.
  • Arsenal of weapons and gadgets: As an Espire 1 VR Operative you will have access to dozens of unique gadgets and weapons such as a tranquilizer pistol and deployable spy cameras in order to complete your mission objectives.
  • Global Leaderboard: A worldwide tally awards players a competitive score based on mission time, movement, stealth, ammo conservation, takedowns and other factors.
  • Intuitive controls that mimic real life: Interaction in this game aims to be natural and intuitive. Instead of memorizing dozens of button combinations for every action, you perform them as you would in real life. You can crouch and enter cover by physically using your body.
  • Smart AI: Enemy combatants in this game actively hunt the player. The AI responds to sight, sound, and other stimuli and will react to with varying levels of suspicion based on your physical stance, movement speed, cover and relative location.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Bring the shit out of this game. I still haven't played that stealth robot office game yet though. I should grab that one too

Dec 23, 2017
Stealth games in VR is really, really cool. It's one of those genres that does really well in VR.

If you like this, check out Unknightly. It's in Early Access and only has 3 stages if you count the tutorial level but it's pretty cool. Think another stage or so is in the works.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
l5rQwj.gif
Ro3YNE.gif
59NnD8.gif

You can find some early prototype videos of the game (2017 version) here, and its these videos which caught the attention of Tripwire Interactive to publish the game
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLF_iD6mbpjn14wZdFL1baA/videos

Last edited:

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
well that looks insane.

adding that shit to the radar asap, hope its not too short and is a sizeable experience

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The hands look exactly like Killing Floor VR and the Zed time too. I hope it will support Aim controller if there is a PS4 version

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks like the culmination of lots of lessons and design tips that have come from many developers experimenting over the last 4 years. Should be a real good one.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks like the culmination of lots of lessons and design tips that have come from many developers experimenting over the last 4 years. Should be a real good one.
Stealth in VR is super hard to do due to minimaps and radars and UI design needing a lot of re-thinking to ensure players get a lot of feedback on enemy positions etc

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Looks really cool. I hope it comes to psvr, but I'm definitely going to borrow my friends to play this if it doesn't.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
VR is getting there...

Question: If i buy a cellphone with vr capabilities, can i use it to play this game?

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is getting there...

Question: If i buy a cellphone with vr capabilities, can i use it to play this game?
Very, very unlikely. Like 0.1% chance. This full game is PCVR so probably needs an equivalent PS5 or something to run it. It also needs hand tracking - two Wii-like controllers with computing power to read and engage with them.

If it comes to mobile it'll be a different, bespoke version of the game that's mobile friendly. Probably very limited graphics, level sizes and interactions.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
This completely flew under my radar until now. That trailer has me sold, day one!

My only hope is that there is a substantial number of story missions, and not just focused on the repeating challenges as a lot of VR games do. If the story were closer to the length of Lone Echo it would be perfect.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
What exactly sold this for you and not other titles?
I'm sure there are other VR titles out there that I'd like, but honestly I haven't seen them, not that I've really looked apart from around the time of the first big mainstream VR push. I am a big MGS fan and have really enjoyed other games like Vanquish too. Part of the reason why I loved some CoD games a few years back is modes like Search and Destroy which at times felt like fast-paced stealth shooters. This looks like it would be less fast-paced but still looks like it would scratch an itch for an MGS1-style FPS game. I'm not saying I'm going to go out and buy a VR setup for this game mind, but that if it was something I wanted but was on the fence about or if it was something I was thinking of doing for a while but never actually decided when to get it, this would likely be something that would push me to the point of actually making the move into the market.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I've been wanting more methodical shooters like Superhot, so this is right up my alley.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Please be good

I wasn't a big fan of Incursion, but the pacing of this seems like it'd make everything a bit more managable.