• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
SinAndTheSentence.jpg

Despite being a huge tech death nerd, Trivium are my favorite band. This new album is fucking amazing. The best they've put out since Shogun, after seemingly losing their way for a few albums. It has all the best elements of their career - the screaming, the Iron Maiden riffs, blast beats and more. Really happy with how this turned out, basically made my week and I was having a very bad time. Have been listening to it non stop since.

https://youtu.be/MnjZqQhZYiY

https://youtu.be/RAoKcM54Q1Y

PS: if you really dislike the band please don't shit up the thread. I understand why you might not like them, but let's have this as a place where we can discuss the things we love :)

Oct 25, 2017
Just been checking out some tracks from this! was really disappointed with Silence in the Snow, so was a nice surprise how good it was! Best since In Waves for sure! will need to check out the full album soon!

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just been checking out some tracks from this! was really disappointed with Silence in the Snow, so was a nice surprise how good it was! Best since In Waves for sure! will need to check out the full album soon!

It's really sick. There's something for a fan of every era of the band, and it's their most diverse release yet. Really outdid themselves. Also the new drummer Alex Bent plays in tech death bands like Brain Drill and his chops really come through here. Best drummer they had since Travis. He has that guy's creativity and he's an even stronger player than Nick, and his drumming really makes the album. Also the production is so tight.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sick. There's something for a fan of every era of the band, and it's their most diverse release yet. Really outdid themselves. Also the new drummer Alex Bent plays in tech death bands like Brain Drill and his chops really come through here. Best drummer they had since Travis. He has that guy's creativity and he's an even stronger player than Nick, and his drumming really makes the album. Also the production is so tight.

Just pulled it up on Spotify. Gonna jam this the next couple days for sure! And yeah, I think you are right about the drums! didn't listen to closely earlier. Listening to the title track right now, and the drum track is straight fire. I feel like this gonna be one of their best after I have time to digest it. For whatever reason, the Crusade is still my fav by them, I think some of the lyrics just really spoke to me at the time and I have really fond feelings of it. Shogun and In Waves are up their right their with it though. I feel like this album will rank somewhere with those three for me.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just pulled it up on Spotify. Gonna jam this the next couple days for sure! And yeah, I think you are right about the drums! didn't listen to closely earlier. Listening to the title track right now, and the drum track is straight fire. I feel like this gonna be one of their best after I have time to digest it. For whatever reason, the Crusade is still my fav by them, I think some of the lyrics just really spoke to me at the time and I have really fond feelings of it. Shogun and In Waves are up their right their with it though. I feel like this album will rank somewhere with those three for me.

I mean, I'm a huge fanboy and I love every album. I can find things to love and relate to in each of them.

My favorites on this one are Beyond Oblivion, Sever the Hand, The Revanchist, Betrayer, Thrown into the Fire, and I guess the title track. I really love all of it, heh. They killed it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm a huge fanboy and I love every album. I can find things to love and relate to in each of them.

My favorites on this one are Sever the Hand, The Revanchist, Betrayer, Thrown into the Fire, and I guess the title track. I really love all of it, heh. They killed it.

Yeah, even Silence in the Snow had some good songs. Just was kinda boring compared to their other work. Embers to Inferno I think is their only one I don't really care to listen too. but they were still finding themselves as a band back then, so I can't fault them too much.

anyway, just finished the Heart from your Hate, and starting Betrayer. loving the variety here! Both amazing songs!

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even Silence in the Snow had some good songs. Just was kinda boring compared to their other work. Embers to Inferno I think is their only one I don't really care to listen too. but they were still finding themselves as a band back then, so I can't fault them too much.

anyway, just finished the Heart from your Hate, and starting Betrayer. loving the variety here! Both amazing songs!

They apparently re-recorded Pillars of Serpents from the debut as a bonus track from this album and the small clips I've heard sound awesome, but can't find it anywhere yet.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I've been listening to this album over and over since last Friday and I have to say it may be their most consistent album. I really dig the themes and the technical work is so on point from drums and guitars. Heafy's voice sounds really good and there's much more variety and catchiness than the last few albums imo. Ranks up there with Trivium's best.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh, I feel like for every good song on the record there's another that's not great. Better than Silence in the Snow for sure though.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Silence in the Snow was so damn boring. I can't finish it. I grew up with this band and found that album to be some of their worst work.
This album is pretty good, I think I'd rank it up there with Shogun. However, Ascendancy will always be their best album to me.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They really outdid themselves on this one, may very well top all their previous albums except for Ascendancy for me.

Crazy to think I've been listening to these guys for 12 years, still remember my first show:

Trivium, All That Remains and It Dies Today - What a lineup!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's their best since Shogun I guess, doesn't hold a candle to that album for me though. I'm not sure they'll ever surpass it, it's too good.

I still liked Vengeance Falls and Silence quite a bit, the former was a real grower though. And even now it feels a bit odd to listen to.

Video for Thrown Into the Fire dropped the other day. It's nothing special but this track goes fucking hard, brehs.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, not ahead of Ascendancy, but certainly on par with Shogan as far as I'm concerned. Really good.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh, I feel like for every good song on the record there's another that's not great. Better than Silence in the Snow for sure though.

Actually I love every song but Other Worlds. It's really strong. I'm glad the reception for the album mostly seems very positive as well. Hopefully the band also pick up on this and continue in this direction.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Wait this is out?! I know what I'll be playing in the gym today

I actually dig the hell out of Silence in the Snow. Matt's vocals were crazy good.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Wait this is out?! I know what I'll be playing in the gym today

I actually dig the hell out of Silence in the Snow. Matt's vocals were crazy good.

Yeah, came out on the 20th! This one has Matt pushing his vocals even further in some ways. It's definitely not a "everyone hates SITS, let's not do that" but more a "how do we take what was good about that and blend it with what else fans were missing and what we did well in the past, and how do we move forward with that?"

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, his vocals here are very interesting upon first impression. Matt's a great writer of vocal melodies, especially cleans, so Other Worlds is my favorite track right now.

I'd compare the album to In Waves. There are definitely some great moments, but it feels a bit scattershot. I gotta listen to it a couple more times though. SitS didn't click with me immediately, but now it's my second fav behind Shogun

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, his vocals here are very interesting upon first impression. Matt's a great writer of vocal melodies, especially cleans, so Other Worlds is my favorite track right now.

I'd compare the album to In Waves. There are definitely some great moments, but it feels a bit scattershot. I gotta listen to it a couple more times though. SitS didn't click with me immediately, but now it's my second fav behind Shogun

Some songs he goes so far out of his way that it barely sounds like Trivium at times, in a way that sounds good. The Revanchist's verses sound very out of character. Also the screaming sounds better than it has sounded for quite a while.

YourHostNick

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been an on-again-off-again fan for a few years now but this new album is INCREDIBLE. Definitely my favorite album since In Waves. I actually enjoyed Silence in the Snow for being such a departure from their catalog. My favorite track on the album is probably Thrown into the Fire! Glad you are digging it as much as I am. It's been on repeat for days now!

Kaiserkrab

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! Best album from them in a while! My favorite track is The Wretchedness Inside - didn't expect much because we've heard a version of it before but this version blew me away.

Oct 27, 2017
Great album, much better than Silence in the Snow. Still doesn't beat Shogun for me, but I dont think they'll ever top the awesomeness of that one.

I'm still spinning this daily and getting used to the songs. I didn't like Betrayer at first, but it grew on me hard.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to love Trivium, they once played 3 times in a year in SD, went to the 3 concerts at SOMA SD. But eh, the newer stuff just do not click with me

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
Damn...I hate when a band that I like drops a cd and I have no idea it came out. Thanks for the heads-up! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Man i love this album, Alex Brent is an awesome drummer.

youtu.be

Trivium - "Sever The Hand" (Alex Bent Drum Playthrough)

Alex Bent drum playthrough of "Sever The Hand" off of Trivium's October 2017 release "The Sin and the Sentence"Instagram/Twitter: @AlexBentDrumsFacebook.com/...

youtu.be

Trivium - "Beyond Oblivion" (Alex Bent Drum Playthrough)

Alex Bent drum playthrough of "Beyond Oblivion" off of Trivium's October 2017 release "The Sin and the Sentence"Instagram/Twitter: @AlexBentDrumsVideo by Nik...

youtu.be

Trivium - "Betrayer" (Alex Bent Drum Playthrough)

Alex Bent drum playthrough of "Betrayer" off of Trivium's October 2017 release "The Sin and the Sentence"Instagram/Twitter: @AlexBentDrumsVideo by Nikko Delu...

Still haven't listened to their 2020 record or any of the new stuff for this year's album.

Last edited: