• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you guys would probably be best to ask:

I bought LITTLE ADVENTURE ON THE PRAIRIE on Vita for an easy plat. You can walk through the entire game, but once I get to lvl 7, you die from the enemies halfway through, with no power ups or healing? Am I missing a command or something?
If that's the part that I'm thinking of, are the enemies glitched halfway into the ground? If so, that part drove me nuts too. Was used to jumping on enemies' heads and attacking them there, but for those guys, I think I ran up to them and just started to tap the attack button as fast as possible, and they went down.

Fuck that garbage game.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
If that's the part that I'm thinking of, are the enemies glitched halfway into the ground? If so, that part drove me nuts too. Was used to jumping on enemies' heads and attacking them there, but for those guys, I think I ran up to them and just started to tap the attack button as fast as possible, and they went down.

Fuck that garbage game.

Nope just the regular sword dudes in world 2. I can't jump and get them without taking damage and since there is 0 hit detection in the game, they just give you damage whenever they feel like it.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope just the regular sword dudes in world 2. I can't jump and get them without taking damage and since there is 0 hit detection in the game, they just give you damage whenever they feel like it.
Sorry dude, can't remember. Give that "rapid tapping" method a try, though (without jumping). IIRC, I didn't think of doing that initially because if you do it slower, it seems like your attack stops midway through the swing.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Plat #79 - God of War (PS4)
Finished this up tonight. Really disliked the post game. So much so that I dropped it down to easy just to get it done. The story and most of the side stuff was fun though. Its a good game, but it still has its flaws.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
you guys would probably be best to ask:

I bought LITTLE ADVENTURE ON THE PRAIRIE on Vita for an easy plat. You can walk through the entire game, but once I get to lvl 7, you die from the enemies halfway through, with no power ups or healing? Am I missing a command or something?

Speaking of easy platinums, I recommend The Town of Light. Especially, if you're into horror-themed walking simulators, and fairly disturbing stories.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I have 174 plat so you could say I kinda like trophies but I don't really get buying shitty games like Little adventure on the prairie just for a plat. It kinda looks bad when you see a trophy list and you see stuff like that.
I have a friend who does that with a lot of games and his trophy list looks kinda bad. It's a shame since he did some great games and some hard plat.

Well maybe it's just me :p

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I have 174 plat so you could say I kinda like trophies but I don't really get buying shitty games like Little adventure on the prairie just for a plat. It kinda looks bad when you see a trophy list and you see stuff like that.
I have a friend who does that with a lot of games and his trophy list looks kinda bad. It's a shame since he did some great games and some hard plat.

Agreed. I'd never buy and play a game I don't enjoy, just to get an easy platinum trophy. I tend to complete the trophy sets in games I really enjoy, even when they might not offer a platinum.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

True, but, I did it for the "huh" factor. I don't have a ton of trophies, so it's no bother to me, lol

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I'd never buy and play a game I don't enjoy, just to get an easy platinum trophy. I tend to complete the trophy sets in games I really enjoy, even when they might not offer a platinum.
Same. I play and buy games I think I'll like, if I do I try to get all the trophies regardless if they have a platinum, are AAA or indie.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Working on Super Stardust Ultra. Really glad this series finally gets a plat. I have never been super good at these games but I love them. Should be able to plat with some presistance and a little luck.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 50-75%er because I refuse to grind out or waste hours of mindless gaming time for trophies that would get me a plat, lol.
I know that feeling. I don't have the time anymore to grind out plats where either: online, grinding, hidden collectables are concerned. So I'll only go for trophies that really interest me for most games. If I really enjoy a game though, I'll make an exception and aim for the plat, especially if the trophies are easy.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Same. I play and buy games I think I'll like, if I do I try to get all the trophies regardless if they have a platinum, are AAA or indie.

Yeah, I've completed the trophy sets in games like Let It Die, Abzû, Journey, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, eventhough they didn't have a platinum. Granted, all but LID were pretty easy, and didn't require an excessive collecthaton grind.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying - emphasis on trying - not to judge people too harshly on their trophy collections, without much success. We all have different likes, people can play whatever they like, and my opinion shouldn't override that.

But lately, when I see people playing a game with a 20 minute platinum, and they then purchase or share 6 different copies of the game (across regions, and across PS4 / Vita) to obtain multiple platinums ... it makes it difficult :(

Sort of related to this: I wanted to make a thread a while back asking, what was the last 1000/1000 or platinum that you obtained without using any kind of guide, or external help. For me, out of 225 plats, I reckon it'd be a single digit answer. Then I realised some of the answers would be these recent trophy bait games ...

Anyway. One new plat since the last post:

Platinum #225 - Rebel Galaxy (PS+)

Just one huge grind. The biggest issue is that it wants to put you in control of (a badly controlling) spaceship, so you'd think there's a skill element involved ... flying a ... spaceship. But other than "run away / hang around the edges", there really isn't any skill needed. Everything depends on your weapon and shield upgrades - stats, if you will. And that's fine, except nothing changes in the formula from the beginning to endgame.

Privateer, Privateer 2 and (never finished) Freelancer on PC were far more satisfying to play, with a similar formula. And if you were underpowered but not grossly underpowered, your skill gave you a chance at survival. That doesn't feel like the case here.

Playing Resident Evil Revelaitons at the moment ... Raid Mode is a similar grind :|

Dec 7, 2017
I'm trying - emphasis on trying - not to judge people too harshly on their trophy collections, without much success. We all have different likes, people can play whatever they like, and my opinion shouldn't override that.

But lately, when I see people playing a game with a 20 minute platinum, and they then purchase or share 6 different copies of the game (across regions, and across PS4 / Vita) to obtain multiple platinums ... it makes it difficult :(

Sort of related to this: I wanted to make a thread a while back asking, what was the last 1000/1000 or platinum that you obtained without using any kind of guide, or external help. For me, out of 225 plats, I reckon it'd be a single digit answer. Then I realised some of the answers would be these recent trophy bait games ...|
tbh I think a lot of my platinum's are ones I've gotten without a guide, I only really use guides for collectibles that are hidden in tricky to reach places and have no way of finding them in the game easily.
Although a lot of my platinums are like you said, trophy bait-y kinda games.
Stuff like Need for Speed(2015), all the telltale games, Tekken 7, batman arkham asylum, which makes nearly half of my collection I think. Currently going for Sly Cooper 1 right now as well and that is one I don't think I'll be needing a guide for since the gameplay is really straight forward in it so I shouldn't struggle much.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I think a lot of my platinum's are ones I've gotten without a guide, I only really use guides for collectibles that are hidden in tricky to reach places and have no way of finding them in the game easily.
Although a lot of my platinums are like you said, trophy bait-y kinda games.
Stuff like Need for Speed(2015), all the telltale games, Tekken 7, batman arkham asylum, which makes nearly half of my collection I think. Currently going for Sly Cooper 1 right now as well and that is one I don't think I'll be needing a guide for since the gameplay is really straight forward in it so I shouldn't struggle much.
Yeah, that's pretty much why I passed on the idea. I was thinking the same thing about collectables - I think the only game where I've found collectables without using a guide was Uncharted 2. Aside from that ... Telltale games and Undertale didn't need a guide for platinum, and I'm struggling to think of any others beyond those (including Sly 1!) that I did without help. It was straight to the internet for a guide and/or video, for collectables, or anything slightly obscure.

The stuff you've listed there isn't trophy bait IMO. There's a compelling reason (story, gameplay, etc) to go through all of them, and I have a few Telltale games from PS+ and don't feel shame about any of them. It's more the recent-ish stuff (eg My Name Is Mayo, ***** 1000 Top Rated) which makes me question people's decisions in life :(

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop with the judgemental comments on how and why people collect their imaginary trophies? Who cares how people decide to spend their time and money?

Just a thought. Keep the thread positive.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

Sort of related to this: I wanted to make a thread a while back asking, what was the last 1000/1000 or platinum that you obtained without using any kind of guide, or external help. For me, out of 225 plats, I reckon it'd be a single digit answer. Then I realised some of the answers would be these recent trophy bait games ...

Anyway. One new plat since the last post:

Platinum #225 - Rebel Galaxy (PS+)

Just one huge grind. The biggest issue is that it wants to put you in control of (a badly controlling) spaceship, so you'd think there's a skill element involved ... flying a ... spaceship. But other than "run away / hang around the edges", there really isn't any skill needed. Everything depends on your weapon and shield upgrades - stats, if you will. And that's fine, except nothing changes in the formula from the beginning to endgame.

Privateer, Privateer 2 and (never finished) Freelancer on PC were far more satisfying to play, with a similar formula. And if you were underpowered but not grossly underpowered, your skill gave you a chance at survival. That doesn't feel like the case here.

Playing Resident Evil Revelaitons at the moment ... Raid Mode is a similar grind :|

So, not that it necessarily relates to whoever's trophy list you're looking at and judging but I have a hand full of those "shameful plats" myself and I will say that each and everyone of them was obtained in the interest of "special events" or reward threads from another forum.

I've found that "trophy hunters" like friendly competition and more often than not create events to cater to that competition, often times with a generous prize for the winner/winners. Most recently I partook in an event that was themed around hunting (There is a national hunting and fishing day in August). The goal was to get as many trophies as possible in one day. The more trophies people got, the higher the prize pool was. I bought and played so many crummy games just to try and raise the prize pool (I ended up with 145 trophies in one day). The creator ended up shelling out $60 or $80 dollars in PSN credit. It was a fun thing to do for the community.

To your question, I don't think I've ever gotten a platinum trophy without any help (with the exception of the stupid easy ones, of course).

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum #138: Chasm

Pretty fun Metroidvania, Permadeath mode is only hard at the beginning (if you play on Easy probably not even at the beginning), once you start stacking up on potions/healing items it's pretty easy, not to mention magic is pretty OP. Plus, you can just pause and load your last save if you're about to die.

I was gonna say this was a plat I got without any help, but I did ask on the OT about a couple of Bestiary entries I was missing lol.

Really excited about Dead Cells tomorrow, plat seems way harder than Chasm too.

So, not that it necessarily relates to whoever's trophy list you're looking at and judging but I have a hand full of those "shameful plats" myself and I will say that each and everyone of them was obtained in the interest of "special events" or reward threads from another forum.

I've found that "trophy hunters" like friendly competition and more often than not create events to cater to that competition, often times with a generous prize for the winner/winners. Most recently I partook in an event that was themed around hunting (There is a national hunting and fishing day in August). The goal was to get as many trophies as possible in one day. The more trophies people got, the higher the prize pool was. I bought and played so many crummy games just to try and raise the prize pool (I ended up with 145 trophies in one day). The creator ended up shelling out $60 or $80 dollars in PSN credit. It was a fun thing to do for the community.

I've always wanted to enter one of those events but never have. Sounds like fun.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Platinum #138: Chasm

Pretty fun Metroidvania, Permadeath mode is only hard at the beginning (if you play on Easy probably not even at the beginning), once you start stacking up on potions/healing items it's pretty easy, not to mention magic is pretty OP. Plus, you can just pause and load your last save if you're about to die.

I was gonna say this was a plat I got without any help, but I did ask on the OT about a couple of Bestiary entries I was missing lol.

Really excited about Dead Cells tomorrow, plat seems way harder than Chasm too.

I've always wanted to enter one of those events but never have. Sounds like fun.

You should do it. I enter them all the time but hardly ever win. It kinda helps with my backlog in a way.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm working on getting my plat for FFX and my god the sphere grid trophy is going to take at least a hundred podcasts.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I have never entered one with a prize. I did the alphabet challenge on truetrophies though. Was fun.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished off Deadlight today. Got 80~% of trophies, only stuff I have left is doing the bonus modes (survival and nightmare mode) but honestly I didn't enjoy it enough to do those modes, especially nightmare which I'd imagine would live up to its name! Back to Super Cloudbuilt now which I've really been enjoying, along with Mega Man X Collection which should be a piece of cake to plat (I know the games like the back of my hand, Collection 2 will be harder since it has 6 and 7 to deal with).

I've also got 1 trophy left on Horizon to get for the plat which I'll grab this week, then do the DLC (can't wait to play it, loved the main game). Then at the end of the week I'll get to start my platinum trophy run on Yakuza 3 for the PS4, Mini Game Master will be a real test of skill and patience!

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
#42 - The Division

This was easily the longest between starting the game and getting the Platinum (3/8/2016 - 8/4/2018, 878 days). Like most, I ditched this game after about two months, but started to get back into it when they announced the Shield challenges to unlock items in The Division 2. If you were a fan at launch but are a lapsed player, definitely give this a shot (especially if you have the Underground DLC) as they have added/changed so much for the better.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I'm working on getting my plat for FFX and my god the sphere grid trophy is going to take at least a hundred podcasts.

I did it last year and I am not sure why I don't remember it being a pain in the ass, it was long and certainly pointless but it didn't feel that long. there are waaaay worse trophies on that game...

after god of war I am doing FFX-2 and I've never played it before so I am not sure what's in store for me, anyone care to give me some advice before I start?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I did it last year and I am not sure why I don't remember it being a pain in the ass, it was long and certainly pointless but it didn't feel that long. there are waaaay worse trophies on that game...

after god of war I am doing FFX-2 and I've never played it before so I am not sure what's in store for me, anyone care to give me some advice before I start?
Follow a guide. There is a percentage of the game to follow getting quests and cutscenes you need to get 100% on and it is incredibly easy to miss some forcing you to start over. I highly recommend following a 100% guide for that if you're just trophy hunting.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

I've never bought a easy game just for a plat, I sorta regret the sound shapes DLC but I think that's something everyone can let slide. No My Name Is Mayo or Aabs Animals here!

But my list does look horrendous, since I actually went back and played every single PSN game that was given through PS+ it makes my list look terrible with how much shovelware is there. I only have a few games left though before I move onto games with Platinums like Spec Ops the line, Xcom, Bioshock etc.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

To your question, I don't think I've ever gotten a platinum trophy without any help (with the exception of the stupid easy ones, of course).

I haven't participated in that kind of competitions, only the Days of Play competition on PS4, where you had to earn a trophy every day for ten days. It actually made me return to WipEout Omega Collection. I just think, that the rarity and challenge of the trophies should play a part in competitions like that, since the easy ones can be collected without any trouble. Let alone, that the competition ended with two tiebreaker questions, that you could only answer with guessing a figure. It would have been better, if it had been decided on how hard or easy the trophies were to get.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I haven't participated in that kind of competitions, only the Days of Play competition on PS4, where you had to earn a trophy every day for ten days. It actually made me return to WipEout Omega Collection. I just think, that the rarity and challenge of the trophies should play a part in competitions like that, since the easy ones can be collected without any trouble. Let alone, that the competition ended with two tiebreaker questions, that you could only answer with guessing a figure. It would have been better, if it had been decided on how hard or easy the trophies were to get.

Some do. Not any official playstation events, but over at psnprofiles they do. There is one going on right now where the winner gets a copy of Spiderman PS4 when it comes out. We were given about 3 months to get the highest score possible. Each trophy type is worth a certain amount of points and bonus points are added given the rarity of the trophy itself. So if a plat is worth 50 points, a rare plat would get the 50 plus an additional 5 points, where a very rare plat would get the 50 plus an additional 10 points.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Some do. Not any official playstation events, but over at psnprofiles they do. There is one going on right now where the winner gets a copy of Spiderman PS4 when it comes out. We were given about 3 months to get the highest score possible. Each trophy type is worth a certain amount of points and bonus points are added given the rarity of the trophy itself. So if a plat is worth 50 points, a rare plat would get the 50 plus an additional 5 points, where a very rare plat would get the 50 plus an additional 10 points.

Oh, I didn't know PSNprofiles has those kind of things. I'll have to participate in some of the upcoming ones. I'll have to pass the current one, as I'm playing Let It Die regularly, and I've earned all of the base game trophies from it.

Oct 28, 2017
Berserking-Guts.png

First time signing up with PSNProfiles. The rarest Platinum Trophies I have:

Overwatch
Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, 4, V
Bloodborne, Souls, Soul II, Souls III
Resident Evil Remake
Alien Isolation
Persona 5
GTA 3, SA

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Berserking-Guts.png

First time signing up with PSNProfiles. The rarest Platinum Trophies I have:

Overwatch
Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, 4, V
Bloodborne, Souls, Soul II, Souls III
Resident Evil Remake
Alien Isolation
Persona 5
GTA 3, SA

Whew, that MGS 2 and 4 plat. I'm on my last play through of 2 on my platinum run and am currently stuck at the Harrier fight. Shit is hard as nails and probably not even the hardest fight. I don't even want to think about the Ray fight near the end.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hey guys, new to the thread here :-)
I've got that new game itch and currently eyeing two games: Ni No Kuni II and The Crew 2.
How are the platinums in those games in terms of fun? I don't mind grindy games, but hate platinums that require multiple playthroughs.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Follow a guide. There is a percentage of the game to follow getting quests and cutscenes you need to get 100% on and it is incredibly easy to miss some forcing you to start over. I highly recommend following a 100% guide for that if you're just trophy hunting.

I don't know what to do :(

I am aware of this issue, that there are things that are easy missable.

I have the official FFX-FFX-2 guide, which should be everything I need but I've read on forums that there are plenty of non-exhaustive guides that will screw up 100% playthroughs.

Since I've never played the game, I can't possibly tell by looking at the guide whether it has everything or not.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to do :(

I am aware of this issue, that there are things that are easy missable.

I have the official FFX-FFX-2 guide, which should be everything I need but I've read on forums that there are plenty of non-exhaustive guides that will screw up 100% playthroughs.

Since I've never played the game, I can't possibly tell by looking at the guide whether it has everything or not.
pretty sure I used this:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/562386-final-fantasy-x-2/faqs/27415

And I managed the 100%. I had played it before on the PS2 though so had experience with it.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I know that feeling. I don't have the time anymore to grind out plats where either: online, grinding, hidden collectables are concerned. So I'll only go for trophies that really interest me for most games. If I really enjoy a game though, I'll make an exception and aim for the plat, especially if the trophies are easy.
For some games that I enjoy I will put in the effort to get those trophies, but more most, like the ones you mentioned, it's a complete waste of my limited gaming time.....

pretty sure I used this:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/562386-final-fantasy-x-2/faqs/27415
And I managed the 100%. I had played it before on the PS2 though so had experience with it.
For some reason, even using the guide, I still ended up at 99%, which was maddening..... Like wtf did I miss to only miss 1%... uugghh..

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've got that new game itch and currently eyeing two games: Ni No Kuni II and The Crew 2.
How are the platinums in those games in terms of fun? I don't mind grindy games, but hate platinums that require multiple playthroughs.
Well, I haven't played either one so I can't say how much fun they are but Ni No Kuni 2 is an 80 plat time while The Crew 2 is 25-30 hours. The Crew 2 is also an online game so there might be some trophies requiring you to play with others, though I'm not sure on this. Both are pretty straight forward and only require one play through so I guess it just depends on what type of game you feel like playing.

Sorry, not really an answer to your question.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

I just finished NNK2, but didn't get the platinum. It's not impossible to do if you don't mind the grind. I was at the 80 hour mark and I have a TON of backog that I haven't touched since Destiny 2 launched, so I need to move along.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
For some games that I enjoy I will put in the effort to get those trophies, but more most, like the ones you mentioned, it's a complete waste of my limited gaming time.....

For some reason, even using the guide, I still ended up at 99%, which was maddening..... Like wtf did I miss to only miss 1%... uugghh..
Ah man. I was sure I had screwed it up when I was playing too but managed it. As I recall reading ahead slightly in the guide helped and I double and triple checked every area before moving chapters etc. It's a nightmarish trophy :(

Edit: Suppose I should mention my current project, Arc Twilight of the Spirits. I remember liking it on the PS2 and I still think the music and gameplay is great but man the writing is rough. Trophies aren't too bad, a few missible ones with some collectibles but the worst is the arena and level grinding. Just boring. Still I'm on the home stretch...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another plat, this time its Horizon Zero Dawn. Really fun, and really easy trophy list to boot. Now its onto the DLC which I've put a couple of hours into, again really fun and the snow looks amazing. I can see me aiming for most of the DLC trophies as well.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Another plat, this time its Horizon Zero Dawn. Really fun, and really easy trophy list to boot. Now its onto the DLC which I've put a couple of hours into, again really fun and the snow looks amazing. I can see me aiming for most of the DLC trophies as well.
Nice. It's a great game. I plan to get back to it for the DLC at some point. I bought it but lent the game to a friend when it came out and never went back to it.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Managed to get a few done in the last few weeks.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Finally played it after the patch came out to fix the grind.

1979 Revolution: Black Friday.

The Wardrobe.

The Invisible Hours.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum #82: Senran Kagura Estival Versus
1Le0df14.png

How I Spent My Summer Vacation
Still a fun musou style game regardless of the heavy fanservice the series's known for.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
100% #177 - Bomberman Ultra
Borrowed a mates PS3 so that I can knock out some multiplayer trophies in games by myself. In this case I only needed multiplayer trophies so it was an easy completion. Most of the others I am doing still require some offline stuff to mop up so its just been random multiplayer trophies in a variety of games lately.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Crossing Souls - platinum 222.

Pretty easy platinum, just a few collectibles to keep an eye out for. Really fun little game. Like Oxenfree mixed with Stranger things.