• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Source:

I used PSNProfiles.com to look at the trophy % for every Call of Duty game since Call of Duty: World at War (the first PlayStation CoD with trophies)

Single-Player trophies:

For every game except Black Ops 3, there was a trophy for completing the first story mission and the last story mission on any difficulty. These are the percentages used in the data. In the case of Black Ops 3, there was no trophy on Regular difficulty for beating the first story mission, so I used the most common story-related trophy (getting a single kill through a wall or obstruction, which was 51.3%).

Multiplayer trophies:

Unfortunately there's only multiplayer trophies for 4 of the games, but they all follow a similar trend. I looked at the most common multiplayer trophy which was "easier" and requires a shorter amount of time to obtain (such as reaching rank 10, winning 5 games, or accruing 10 total lifetime kills) and ones that take a bit longer (reaching max rank of 55 or prestiging once).

It can be pointed out though that some players opt to never prestige when reaching rank 55.

Results:
  • 51.4% of players completed the first mission in the campaign.
  • 23.9% of players completed the campaign on any difficulty.
    • 46.5% of players who began the campaign actually finished it

• 49.1% of players earned the easiest multiplayer trophy.
  • 23.3% of players earned the harder, more time consuming multiplayer trophy.
    • 47.4% of players who earned the easy multiplayer trophy earned the harder one

Nf3bUnf.png

Zg3YcDE.png

Interesting things of note:
  • Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare had a significantly smaller percent of players finish the campaign. While most of the games hovered in the mid-20% range, Black Ops 3 had 10.1% finish the campaign and Infinite Warfare had 16% finish. I believe this could be due to both games being a bit more non-traditional. Black Ops 3 featured a safe house where you could upgrade and progress your character (not to mention a confusing as hell hidden explanation for the whole story) while Infinite Warfare featured non-linear side missions.
  • Black Ops 2 had the lowest % of players complete the first mission, yet 50.7% of those who did completed the campaign, which is higher than the average of 46.5%.
  • Over 35% of players who played WWII didn't even get 10 total kills in multiplayer.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Shame more people didn't finish Infinite Warfare's campaign. It was terrific. Not as great as Titanfall 2, but still really solid and a great redbox weekend.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hope COD IIII will fail miserably. Fuck activision. SP campaign is fundamental for such games.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
They will regret this (stupid) choice and change their mind later.
Go to hell Black Ops 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly sure trophy data means that much.
It's not necessarily that just 50% of players went through the single player but that Activision thinks that single player likely costs a lot more than it helps and they could just remaster an older game and put the resources into a new mode like Battle Royal which will help the game sell considerably more

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think people play it because it's there, but buy the game for multiplayer.

I don't think removing it will significantly impact sales, and tbh adding Battle Royale could boost sales a lot too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure as far as overall playtime goes (and ability to monetize), focusing on multiplayer is definitely the right idea. But these are the trophy percentages show that people DO play the single-player, contrary to popular belief.

I don't think using data that shows that less than a fourth of all buyers (and as low as 1/10th) even beat a 4 hour campaign really helps your case. That is a fairly minuscule number.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why do people think the omission of a single player campaign will affect overall sales for what will be one of the biggest releases of the year??????

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Campaign achievements are significantly easier to get than multiplayer achievements. There's no control in this research.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I am not surprised by the lack of SP to be honest, after 10 years where do you realistically go?

WW2 campaign felt like "been there done that". I am sure it is draining as fuck to try and come up with something that will give people a fresh experience after the time this series has been going.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The singleplayer playtime excuse is just a vague cover for Activision. They want to monetize everything you do with obscene and greedy lootboxes and single-player story content in shooters provides less avenues for that to happen.

OP
OP
Falconbox

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I don't think using data that shows that less than a fourth of all buyers (and as low as 1/10th) even beat a 4 hour campaign really helps your case. That is a fairly minuscule number.

1. The campaigns are routinely 7-8 hours.

2. What does it say then that almost 40% of players can't even reach rank 10 or get 10 kills in multiplayer? That takes 1-2 hours tops. Either that means 40% don't even bother with the multiplayer, or played it for 1-2 matches and never touched it again.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops 4 to me at least, looks like they've ran dry of actual ideas.

Either that, or they were originally trying to do something so outlandish and different to CoD's forumla that they had to roll everything back and just go with what looks like Black Ops 3.5

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I can guarentee SP data does not mean anything in the grand scale. If it wasn't packaged with the game and did not need to be installed it would have a huge drop in users. Steam's a perfect example of this.

3% of BLOPSIII users have the completed campaign while 40% have level 10.

Sure steam isn't that great since the retention and overall usage is low. But these numbers still count for something.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how this game will be critically discussed - because most journalists I read and listen to only play the campaign and just dabble in the multiplayer modes at most. When you review you have to cover everything of course but for a lot of press the game will be quasi non existent this year. Edit: not saying it won't sell well because of that of course.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Black Ops 4 to me at least, looks like they've ran dry of actual ideas.

Either that, or they were originally trying to do something so outlandish and different to CoD's forumla that they had to roll everything back and just go with what looks like Black Ops 3.5
The leaks pre reveal that had the SP not being included alluded to this.

Originally the SP ws supposed to dabble in time travel, corporations using time travel to alter history, hence the "Forget what you know" tagline Playing very much into the "History is written by the victors" . You would go through time and change the events of previous games The SP wasn't coming along well and Activision marketing research was showing that poor reception to the setting and themes. The two combined ended up getting the SP cancelled late last year.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
People may start up a campaign, but the percentage of people that actually complete it are really low. Especially for BOPs 3. That coupled with the fact they make a lot of money off in game purchases had to play a significant role in the decision to not include a SP campaign. I doubt it will hurt sales as much as some believe.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is, just the narrative is being changed by activision and Treyarch because it's not present for blops 4.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the rumor that the single player campaign didn't come together and they drop it pretty late in development?
I presume this year is an exception unless the number of sales remain high and there weren't complains from their community then we won't see SP again.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying this game till its like $20. Only buy it for single player campaigns. I am curious about the battle royale mode.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I really like analyze data like this but:

- PSNprofiles.com use to have much higher completion percentages since it's mainly aimed towards trophy hunters who want to gather data on their own progress, whilst omitting the common users who don't care much for their trophies.

-I think the most correct data would be gathering data through the ps4/psn app trophy lists. Thoose would reflect the actual completion percentages better.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I really like analyze data like this but:

- PSNprofiles.com use to have much higher completion percentages since it's mainly aimed towards trophy hunters who want to gather data on their own progress, whilst omitting the common users who don't care much for their trophies.

-I think the most correct data would be gathering data through the ps4/psn app trophy lists. Thoose would reflect the actual completion percentages better.
They did.

Feb 11, 2018
This comparison is not in good faith. It only takes 6 hours to beat a COD campaign while it can take 20+ hours to reach max level in multiplayer. The number of players who spent 6 hours in multiplayer would dwarf those who finished the SP campaigns.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think the number of people that actually do play the story mode of Call of Duty is drastically underrepresented in general talks. It'll be interesting to see how well this game does after just nixing the story mode.

The Battle Royale mode might be enough to make up for it? I usually only play them to play the story... but I don't buy them. I might actually buy this one if the Battle Royale mode ends up looking strong.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Not exactly sure trophy data means that much.
It's not necessarily that just 50% of players went through the single player but that Activision thinks that single player likely costs a lot more than it helps and they could just remaster an older game and put the resources into a new mode like Battle Royal which will help the game sell considerably more
he said 50% of the percentage that completed the first mission. The idea that activision cut the most expensive part of the game went kept the full price is them saying they don't care about the gaming, they are just greedy and want more money. This is purely about improving margins and has nothing to do with what the gamer wants, because they do not care.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I bet you anything that the CoD for next year they are working on right now has a campaign

DtG

May 17, 2018
I thought I heard there was a single player campaign being worked on, but it wasn't going to make the deadline. So they scrapped it in favor of working on a BR mode. Maybe CoD shouldn't be a yearly thing, take more time to finish/polish the product in order to give a full experience. We'll just have to wait and see what the numbers say after the game is released I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
People seem to think the lack of a single player campaign was something planned since the beggining. It was not.

The same leak that showed there wasnt going to be a single player story also said the mode was scraped for being too weird or something along that. They were developing it and for some reason they canceled midway through because it was not coming together.

The series producer even said yesterday that this decision is not indicative of the franchise going foward.

So, I dont think it had anything to do with the stats. If it had, they would had decided to not include the single player mode in the pre production period and not waste resources and time to scratch it later.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he said 50% of the percentage that completed the first mission. The idea that activision cut the most expensive part of the game went kept the full price is them saying they don't care about the gaming, they are just greedy and want more money. This is purely about improving margins and has nothing to do with what the gamer wants, because they do not care.

I don't know how people rationalise the concept "they only want money" with "they don;t care what people want".
Do you know how you make money?
you sell things people want to buy.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I think people play it because it's there, but buy the game for multiplayer.

I don't think removing it will significantly impact sales, and tbh adding Battle Royale could boost sales a lot too.
Yep. Even with BO3 been playing it's Multiplayer and Zombies non-stop. And everytime in main menu there is "Campaign" right at top

So I go why not for once and just play it once quick and be done with it and never touch it again and back to non-stop Multiplayer and Zombies

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I thought I heard there was a single player campaign being worked on, but it wasn't going to make the deadline. So they scrapped it in favor of working on a BR mode. Maybe CoD shouldn't be a yearly thing, take more time to finish/polish the product in order to give a full experience. We'll just have to wait and see what the numbers say after the game is released I guess.
It was 3 years since Treyarch's last game.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
That achievement isn't "Get 10 kills across any number of online games", FYI.
Its a supply drop related achievement.

For this trophy, all you have to do is to kill ten players in multiplayer. Keep in mind that you don't need to get ten in one match, just cumulatively. If you're having troubles securing kills, then you can try the "Hardcore" playlist. In Hardcore, it normally takes one to two shots to kill someone, therefore making it slightly easier to secure kills. Once you get ten cumulative kills in multiplayer, this trophy will unlock.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine a lot of players never prestige because they don't want to re-unlock all the guns, perks, etc. These stats are telling me less than 1/4 of the buyers actually enjoy the 5 hour SP campaign to complete it. Keep in mind how much money is pumped into those campaigns too.