• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's a shame that almost every business besides restaurants (takeout), and malls is still open because of our stupid as fuck mayor. Love to come into work and know how "essential" my company is.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So. My employer (in Ontario) cut everyone's salary by 10% last week.

Given this, I should have the right to raise a stink if our salaries are not put back to normal, right?

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
It says salaries, so I assume since I am in construction, my job won't have this as an offer for me?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what happens to folks who are making north of 78000?

Does that mean the company has to cover the rest of the salary?
Could your company temporarily cut your pay to that amount to keep you on the payroll?

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
So what happens to folks who are making north of 78000?

Does that mean the company has to cover the rest of the salary?

A couple things one could surmise from this.

If you are making more than 60k+, it could be logical to assume you might have the ability to work from home or in an essential business that is still operating(and thus have no impact to your pay), in comparison to those workers this subsidy will greatly help, who are likely earning much less.

Secondly, it has not been mandated, but Prime Minister Trudeau basically did ask, that if your company is large enough(keeping in mind that this subsidy covers even large businesses too), then to try and cover the remaining 25% of wages not covered by the 75% coverage, since the government is taking a huge chunk of operating cost away.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We are going to be so broke when this is all over.

Countless whining over the deficit once the pandemic is over.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certainly they're using salaries to be interchangeable to wages. Otherwise the workforce of many of these targeted businesses wouldn't even qualify.
I believe that is just early wording choices from the twitter links, as the news just broke. Its meant for earnings in general.

This economics expert broke it down better.

Ok cool.

Now I wonder if there is any reason for my company to not do this? I'm in Alberta, and construction companies aren't always the most reasonable. Haha.

I'm basically getting very little hours right now, and I am also worried about infecting people on the crew (one is older and smokes a lot, and 3 others have wives and kids), and also worried about being infected by their lack of caring about all of this. So I would honestly rather not work for the next little bit.

CERB should cover my expenses, but this would cover much more obviously, but then would I be required to still go in and work?