• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the 57 Canadians killed when Iran shot down Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752 would be alive if not for recent escalations in tensions in the region.

Trudeau spoke with Global National's Dawna Friesen on Monday about the Canadian response to the plane crash and the ongoing work happening to support the families, identify the victims, and hold Iran to account in the investigation into how the missile that took down the plane was fired.

"If there were no tensions, if there was no escalation recently in the region, those Canadians would be right now home with their families," said Trudeau.

"This is something that happens when you have conflict and war. Innocents bear the brunt of it and it is a reminder why all of us need to work so hard on de-escalation, moving forward to reduce tensions and find a pathway that doesn't involve further conflict and killing."

He also said he spoke with Trump about the incident.

"I have spoken to him and I have talked about the need to de-escalate tensions," he said. "I've talked about the tremendous grief and loss that Canadians are feeling, and the need for clear answers on how this happened and how we're going to make sure it never happens again."

But he said the focus for him and the Canadian government right now remains on the victims, even as it could be "weeks, perhaps even months" before the victims are repatriated for burial.

"The grief they're going through is not to be consoled right now. They want answers, they've expressed anger and outrage and also immeasurable pain," he said.

"I am hurt like all Canadians. I am angry like all Canadians. But unlike many people I have a job to do that will be able to help these families directly. Getting answers for them is my entire focus right now."

His comments come ahead of a meeting being hosted by Canada on Thursday in London, U.K., in which members of the International Coordination and Response Group are set to lay out their next steps for pushing for credible answers and access to black box data.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe Trudeau would defend Solemani like this. Doesn't he know he's a terrorist.
/s

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly right.

And yes, Iran is also at fault here, but I'm not an Iranian citizen. We can quibble about who's more or less at fault or whatever, but ultimately it doesn't matter. I am a US citizen and my opinion holds at least some sway on the politics here, unlike Iran. Trump's escalation and stupidity with regard to foreign policy is absolutely something to trash and demand better of our leaders.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how anyone could answer otherwise but I expect a bunch of butterfly effect whataboutism - iran shouldn't have had a revolution all the way to Iran shouldn't have been mad when trump killed the nuclear deal

Can't wait to hear what americans say about this...

you already have?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Stop playing dumb. This was never about about "defending Trump", but simply not minimising Iran's responsability and shoehorning a political agenda for some posters.

eh... people want to blame it on iran and iran only. While ignoring the entire lead up to them being on high alert. This whole situation is a mess.

bickering about it isn't going to do anything. The Trump admin is inept, and no one works there in important positions that would deal with geo-politics. Whatever the arguing is, at the end of the day, thats the facts on the ground.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine Trump being in office during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He is absolutely partly responsible for this directly for ratcheting up tensions. The responsibilities of the office go beyond the immediate. The repercussions of choices are a major factor.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really nothing else to say. Pointless escalations paved the way for shitty decisions under duress and it cost people their lives.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It should be shocking to hear a world leader say something like this.

It isn't.

He's absolutely right.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the real problem is Iran not having more sophisticated anti air defenses, that's the real culprit here. Canada should help Iran built better automated systems that don't shoot down commercial planes, that's how they improve the security of Canadian citizens

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Home Alone 2 and now this. More tariffs incoming.

In all seriousness, this is not an easy thing for Trudeau to say but it had to be said. Fuck diplomacy with the US, every leader has to bluntly call them out on their bullshit.